Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4493287 - 10/17/19 12:40 PM Do you have a Wharthog?  
Knin3 Offline
Knin3  Offline

Bicester / OXFORDSHIRE
Hi guys, I recently ruined my brand new wharthog by cutting the wires when reassembling after a stiction fix. Thrustmaster wont help me, my neighbour cant fix it but I think if only I could get the part with the wires which run alongside the magnet ill be free n clear.
I know im grabbing at straws here but does anyone have a base they no longer use, tucked away somewhere and are willing to sell me the wires.Or does anyone have a idea how I could fix it? Im willing to buy a solder gun etc if itll help but I need direction. Please anyone
because im sure ive fixed the stiction problem with my stick, if only the wires were intact

Thankyou

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4493365 - 10/17/19 10:30 PM Re: Do you have a Wharthog? [Re: Knin3]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Have the wires actually snapped in the middle, or have they just become detached from the points where they are soldered on the circuit board?

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4493391 - 10/18/19 03:26 AM Re: Do you have a Wharthog? [Re: Paradaz]  
Knin3 Offline
Knin3  Offline

Bicester / OXFORDSHIRE
The yellow one is snapped, its a nightmare, im absolutely disgusted with thrustmasters customer service, I only got it 2 months ago, explained to them I would send them the grease n they fix it for me but after a wk of messing me around by email they then said they have sent me a new sphere, n this one has terrible stiction. 2 months into a warranty and they expect you to do the fix yourself when I know nothing of electrics. Unless they sort this out ill never buy another product of theres and will write terrible feedback. Im not in work due to health problems, saved for ages for this stick and now all I have is a paper weight. Thanks for your reply Paradaz

#4493498 - 10/18/19 06:05 PM Re: Do you have a Wharthog? [Re: Knin3]  
Knin3 Offline
Knin3  Offline

Bicester / OXFORDSHIRE
A update, after many emails and me saying id get legal advice they have offered to repair it if at all possible. If it isn't then I expect a new base altogether, they sent me a interior part after I asked to return it for fixing and so I took it as they wanted me to try and fix it, whyelse would they send me a sphere if I wasn't to try and fix it myself. Im hoping they will do the decent thing as they have forced me to try the fix myself. If they don't I think I have a gd case. I was just about to order the Virpil base when I see there reply so ive decided im gonna hold out and see if at the end of it I get a working joystick with no stiction, which is afterall what I paid for. Jury is still out

Ill post back here when I have a result

Thanks

#4493649 - 10/19/19 04:33 PM Re: Do you have a Wharthog? [Re: Knin3]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Good luck. After several years with the Warthog and breaking 2 of them myself, it became immediately apparent that the sphere you describe is nowhere near the quality of the rest of the stick/throttle. The sphere is cheap plastic and it is not smooth.....I fear that even when you get it returned the stiction will still be present regardless of the grease you use on it. I tried everything myself and a generous amount of white lithium grease was what I found best but it definitely didn't eradicate it.

If you are reluctant to go for the Mongoose base (which has no stiction at all) and has different cams to offer different centre detents I'd definitely recommend getting an extension. A 6-10cm extension gives more fine control and the additional length provides more leverage on the stick which means the stiction is drastically reduced. 'Milan' who makes these extensions is also a member on these boards and if you to the SimHQ buy and sell page, his website link is on there and he's currently offering discounts (£28-32 depending on size). He ships from Croatia but delivery is quick to the UK and everyone who has one of these will undoubtedly highly recommend it.

There is also a thread about the Warthog and extensions here....they're from a different seller but essentially the same thing. 'Sahaj' also has a website where you can buy the extensions from [link] and he is based in Poland. I've bought an extension from both of these guys and they are both great quality.

#4493974 - 10/22/19 12:13 AM Re: Do you have a Wharthog? [Re: Knin3]  
Knin3 Offline
Knin3  Offline

Bicester / OXFORDSHIRE
I thought I posted this in another post or this one but I couldn't have...…. GREAT NEWS!!!! I contacted Amazon (a proper company) the guys I actually bought it off, told em how ive been messed around and they immediately offered to replace or give me a full refund!! I asked for a replacement but told them if it has the same problem ill return it and get a refund. It came within 2 days and it has no stiction whatsoever! So happy. Im buying a extension weds evening and plan to buy VR nov 20th. I thought about getting a refund but with the good throttles being out of stock and the Wharthog stick being decent I figured id stick with it n in the future mayb upgrade the base. The throttle is good enough aswell. What do you guys think of these extensions.... a good make?

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/my-products/

If not could you please point me in the right directions, thanks guys!!

omg I actually missed your last post and realise you've already answered my questions. out of milan or Sahaj, which would be best?

Thankyou

Last edited by Knin3; 10/22/19 12:21 AM.
#4493985 - 10/22/19 02:33 AM Re: Do you have a Wharthog? [Re: Knin3]  
Knin3 Offline
Knin3  Offline

Bicester / OXFORDSHIRE
Hey Paradaz, I notice you have a slew upgrade, have you fitted it and how does it feel, thinking of buying one myself although you have to pre order for January

Thanks

#4494008 - 10/22/19 09:53 AM Re: Do you have a Wharthog? [Re: Knin3]  
trindade Offline
Mach2 Club
trindade  Offline
Mach2 Club

Portugal
Originally Posted by Knin3
I thought I posted this in another post or this one but I couldn't have...…. GREAT NEWS!!!! I contacted Amazon (a proper company) the guys I actually bought it off, told em how ive been messed around and they immediately offered to replace or give me a full refund!! I asked for a replacement but told them if it has the same problem ill return it and get a refund. It came within 2 days and it has no stiction whatsoever! So happy. Im buying a extension weds evening and plan to buy VR nov 20th. I thought about getting a refund but with the good throttles being out of stock and the Wharthog stick being decent I figured id stick with it n in the future mayb upgrade the base. The throttle is good enough aswell. What do you guys think of these extensions.... a good make?

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/my-products/

If not could you please point me in the right directions, thanks guys!!

omg I actually missed your last post and realise you've already answered my questions. out of milan or Sahaj, which would be best?

Thankyou

I've a Sahaj's 10 cm extension and a set of dust covers. It's a bit pricey but I can't fly without my extension now, much better feeling then without it. Well worth the investment.

#4494095 - 10/22/19 04:40 PM Re: Do you have a Wharthog? [Re: Knin3]  
Knin3 Offline
Knin3  Offline

Bicester / OXFORDSHIRE
Thanks for the input Trindade, yeh I was going for the dust covers aswell. Can I ask do they just drop over the top say like a tea cosy would a kettle?
Thanks

#4494423 - 10/24/19 08:58 PM Re: Do you have a Wharthog? [Re: Knin3]  
trindade Offline
Mach2 Club
trindade  Offline
Mach2 Club

Portugal
Yeah, it fits perfectly, just be sure your covers match the extension size.

#4494581 - 10/25/19 07:36 PM Re: Do you have a Wharthog? [Re: Knin3]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Knin3
Hey Paradaz, I notice you have a slew upgrade, have you fitted it and how does it feel, thinking of buying one myself although you have to pre order for January

Thanks

Yeah, I got the slew upgrade when it first came out....it works a treat and an easy installation. I found the original was a bit of a waste of time and not great to use as what felt like pressing 'up' would be 'up-right' if that makes sense....almost as if it was offset. The upgrade has a much larger surface area and textured 'grip' for the finger.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.