Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4492486 - 10/11/19 06:25 PM Re: Performance Problem [Re: CaptSopwith]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted by CaptSopwith
Originally Posted by Polovski
If it's damage calcs then that's CPU. Maybe the CPU is overheating and throttling.
I don't see any slowdown here mines an I7 6700k at 4.5 Ghz..

That might be the issue, Pol. In terms of CPU pace, I'm pretty well behind you at 3.6 Ghz, which might explain the slow down when it's running calculations on the damage model.

...though you are at the recommended spec, and I'm not far behind, so I don't see that a couple of planes being shot up at the same time should trouble either your CPU or your GPU, or perhaps even my somewhat sub-min-spec GTX580.

I wonder up to what distance showers of cascading .303 spent cases are attempted to be rendered.

PS I haven't eliminated sound after all, because the sim regenerates the 'hitting' calls I moved out; likewise the original fxtextures and effect.xml file, if I replace those. Thinking back to CFS3 days, if it works the same way, there may be .bdp files that need deleting so the new set can be recognised and the old ones not used.

Last edited by 33lima; 10/12/19 04:51 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4493772 - 10/20/19 01:24 PM Re: Performance Problem [Re: 33lima]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Originally Posted by 33lima
Originally Posted by CaptSopwith
Originally Posted by Polovski
If it's damage calcs then that's CPU. Maybe the CPU is overheating and throttling.
I don't see any slowdown here mines an I7 6700k at 4.5 Ghz..

That might be the issue, Pol. In terms of CPU pace, I'm pretty well behind you at 3.6 Ghz, which might explain the slow down when it's running calculations on the damage model.

...though you are at the recommended spec, and I'm not far behind, so I don't see that a couple of planes being shot up at the same time should trouble either your CPU or your GPU, or perhaps even my somewhat sub-min-spec GTX580.

I wonder up to what distance showers of cascading .303 spent cases are attempted to be rendered.

PS I haven't eliminated sound after all, because the sim regenerates the 'hitting' calls I moved out; likewise the original fxtextures and effect.xml file, if I replace those. Thinking back to CFS3 days, if it works the same way, there may be .bdp files that need deleting so the new set can be recognised and the old ones not used.

Hiya 33lima,

Hope you're doing well. Are you noticing any performance gains in 1.19 beta?

#4493776 - 10/20/19 01:50 PM Re: Performance Problem [Re: CaptSopwith]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
The only performance problem I have noticed so far is the 'multiple fighters attacking multiple bombers slideshow' that we both experience. That apart I was getting 45-60 FPS generally. Unfortunately 1.19 doesn't affect the aforementioned issue, at all.

I'm not convinced it's my 1.5Mb GTX580 as it flies through all else in WotR and other sims, new and (well modded) older, which produce roughly comparable combat visual effects with often much larger numbers of A/C involved. And of course you get it too, with your more modern card. And my PC has been fairly well leaned out ever since I first read Black Viper's Windows tuning recommendations. A/V on or off, sound on or off, no difference. Haven't yet had time to re-try replacing or deleting the sounds and effects which play at that time, since they just regenerate if deleted, I mustn't be deleting all the necessary .bdp files or whatever, need to work out the right drill before I attempt this again. Which I will, because it will kill my WotR campaign experience the moment the squadron meets even a staffel-sized formation.

Last edited by 33lima; 10/20/19 01:51 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4494571 - 10/25/19 05:37 PM Re: Performance Problem [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Unfortunately, I haven't noticed much gain at all with 1.19. It is just a shame because I can run WOFF PE with all details turned up and a ton of aircraft onscreen at the same time and it runs brilliantly - I just can't with WOTR. The really big battles (which are actually pretty essential considering the theater and campaign topic of the title) make me take quite a framerate hit to the point where it isn't that enjoyable (this with things turned way down in workshop to very low settings). WOFF PE is an absolute sweet spot for me and my system (below) - and it can run IL2 BOX wonderfully also - just whatever changes there are with WOTR vs WOFF internally doesn't go well with my system - but I get it though, OBD is trying to squeeze so much out of the old CFS 3 engine - but I don't have the brute force system to power through the old engine limitations, I think. But thanks for the continued work on it!

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4494847 - 10/27/19 03:57 PM Re: Performance Problem [Re: Redwolf]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Originally Posted by Redwolf
Unfortunately, I haven't noticed much gain at all with 1.19. It is just a shame because I can run WOFF PE with all details turned up and a ton of aircraft onscreen at the same time and it runs brilliantly - I just can't with WOTR. The really big battles (which are actually pretty essential considering the theater and campaign topic of the title) make me take quite a framerate hit to the point where it isn't that enjoyable (this with things turned way down in workshop to very low settings). WOFF PE is an absolute sweet spot for me and my system (below) - and it can run IL2 BOX wonderfully also - just whatever changes there are with WOTR vs WOFF internally doesn't go well with my system - but I get it though, OBD is trying to squeeze so much out of the old CFS 3 engine - but I don't have the brute force system to power through the old engine limitations, I think. But thanks for the continued work on it!

I'm in the same boat with you Redwolf - hoping we will get a solution soon!

#4494997 - 10/28/19 05:04 PM Re: Performance Problem [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Maybe shout out to Panama Red to see if he has any magic up his sleeves lads?
He's done a fantastic job with his mod for WOFF ..PR can you help in any way to try improve performance for some? Cheers mate.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4495002 - 10/28/19 05:52 PM Re: Performance Problem [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
I have a WOTR Scenery Mod tweak, but it is not as efficient as the WOFF PE Scenery Mod one because of how WOTR is configured.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4495004 - 10/28/19 06:43 PM Re: Performance Problem [Re: Panama Red]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by Panama Red
I have a WOTR Scenery Mod tweak, but it is not as efficient as the WOFF PE Scenery Mod one because of how WOTR is configured.

Would you be willing to post so others might try PR? I definitely see some improvements with your tweaks mate. cheers

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4495154 - 10/29/19 11:44 PM Re: Performance Problem [Re: Adger]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Originally Posted by Adger
Originally Posted by Panama Red

Would you be willing to post so others might try PR? I definitely see some improvements with your tweaks mate. cheers

It's okay - I don't think it is terrain/landscape related tbh - and I have uninstalled it anyway. Just wasn't fun to have the framerate drop to high/mid teens, low 20's when involved in big battles - and this looking skyward. I pretty much never drop lower than mid-high 30's in even massive furballs with WOFF PE. It's just the big slow downs really ruin it for me. Nervous that the plan (at least mentioned earlier) was for the series to go into the big bomber runs of western Europe - given how this one is now playing, that doesn't bode well for me frown

I will just stick to WOFF PE (absolute masterpiece!) and some other sims for WW2 that run really great on my system (BOB wasn't really that much my thing anyway, tbh -- idk, maybe battle of France might work out better for me(?)).

Last edited by Redwolf; 10/29/19 11:46 PM.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4495267 - 10/30/19 07:52 PM Re: Performance Problem [Re: CaptSopwith]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
I'd be happy to give it a go when I have some time, but I'm also less sure it's related to terrain. It's not an fps hiccup like I'd see in OFF. It's a full frame rate crash whenever there is a lot of shooting happening at once.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.