Hop To
#4492179 - 10/09/19 04:39 PM 2019 Autumn Server  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

2019 Autumn Server

Server: offline
IVC: 109.225.80.15
Campaign: Rolling Fire

35th Fighter Squadron, F-16C-40, is player controlled (No HQ) but feel free to fly any other (and untick HQ if needed).

---

Trying to keep DBond away from DCS (yeah, not really smile ) I was thinking of running a BMS 4.34 Server again.
Last time the 24/7 didn't really catch many players so I was thinking of a different setup.

What aboot running the server on a saturday (maybe friday/saturday) schedule opening the bar at 23:00 GMT (that's my midnight) for coop and when I fall asleep US zone players can continue the effort a few hours and I turn the server off again when I wake up next morning.

Could this help the timezone problem a little mixing EU/US players?
Maybe a "start hour" like this also results in more "real time coop" (last server-run was more like "campaign coop" sharing results of the combined efforts)?

Since BMS mods hate me I can only offer Korea (unless someone shoots me a Balkan torrent, or Israel by all means)

Server is on a 1000mbit line.

Any takers?

(if not I might run the server anyway and see what happens)[size:10pt][/size]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4492187 - 10/09/19 05:24 PM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oden! Thanks for the rescue mission, you know I'm tempted to switch to the dark side....

OK, that's a lie.

The server idea sounds great. But I must be honest that I'm out of F4 at the moment, with no plans really to get back in anytime soon. That could all change in a blink, especially if I had to read AARs from a SimHQ campaign that I was not part of. I would have trouble being left out I think. But I also wanted to be sure you knew that I wasn't feeling it these days. Combat Mission is my game at the mo, but it's a cycle and I would reckon that sooner or later I'll fire up F4 again. I had to build a new PC, and don't fancy getting the game and the stick and everything back up and running.

But like I said if it does indeed happen and folks are recounting their deeds here, I know myself, and that could get me back in the right mood. And at the very least I will chime in to the threads.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4492189 - 10/09/19 05:35 PM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

No worries DBond, I will still try to set it up and see if any folks are interested.
Will try to post some AAR pictures unless I am the only e-pilot flying.

#4492194 - 10/09/19 05:56 PM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Would enjoy reading your AARs as always. And I am always available for operational consultation, if such a service were required, though I don't think it is any longer.

Give 'em hell boys.

#4492284 - 10/10/19 12:21 PM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

I have managed to get a 4.34 server running but due to new hardware/network I am not totally convinced connections will be all trouble free - ports have been forwarded but I can only join via local IP so that's not a solid verification.

I plan to let the server run during friday, if some random dude wants to try join and click around, and then later restart server and campaign (Rolling Fire) prior 23:00 GMT Friday already (Saturday will also see activity).

Folks not used to falcon MP are warmly welcome too, uncomfortable or shy feel free to join a seperate squadron and frag your preferred flights (I am sure we will eventually support eachothers flights sooner or later, that's what I call "group coop" and is actually quite fun too) - or if you have no clue how to do this I would suggest this is a good opportunity to just join and click around and see what happens and disconnect screaming "this sucks" if needed.

Server IP and IVC will be posted in first post when server is up (no passwords needed, IVC is optional).

If someone so demands, I can idle at SimHQ teamspeak for guidance in general MP process or if you just need someone to yell at.

If you read this Ice, you know you want to fly.

I'll be back.

DBond, thanks for the offer and I will surely PM you if need arise - will absolutely start off with HARMCAP as per your campaign-start-standard.

#4492322 - 10/10/19 04:06 PM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
HARMCAP yes, and don't neglect the PAKS. So important early on.

Even though I'm not in...yet, folks that are interested in trying multiplayer F4 should consider Oden's server. Just hop on and do your thing, it's very casual.

#4494322 - 10/24/19 01:09 AM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Late to the party again......not always peeking into this forum.

I would be interested but getting free time to log in is a problem. Having set server times might hamper my participation, but hey...I am not hosting so thank you Oden for what ever you put up.

#4494334 - 10/24/19 05:10 AM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Haha yes, quite late to the party Wolverine smile
With absolutely zero interest for a few days I turned the server offline but I will make a new announcement next year, maybe make it an annual thing could help.

Meanwhile let me promote this German guy and his BMS server [http://falcon-war.net/]:
https://www.reddit.com/r/falconbms/comments/diodt3/update_for_the_public_falcon_bms_campaign_server/

#4494391 - 10/24/19 05:03 PM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Honestly Oden I think SimHQ is mostly a hang out now for people that used to play sims and games. I think many were drawn here for that reason, but now they just hang around to discuss music and politics and Star Wars and sci-fi or the crucial topic of which side your gas cap is on. There are members here with thousands of posts and not a single one in any game-related forum. They just come to post in community hall or PWEC and sadly, finding many that share your interest in any game, is harder and harder to do around here. The ones who are still really in to it have gone elsewhere.

I feel like my time here is drawing to a close after nearly twenty years. Over the past few years I've made a lot of posts about actual games or sims and get virtually no engagement from the members at all. I can't dismiss the possibility my posts suck, or no one cares about the subject, but short of that we are left with a declining membership seemingly uninterested in gaming. There is virtually no discussion that goes on aside from the stuff I mentioned at the start. I'm not interested in talking about that stuff here, I have friends and family for that. I come here to interact with others who share (shared) a common interest in sims and games, and it feels like that's all gone. Instead of discussion of any meaningful or interesting topic we instead have a series of semi-related comments of the lowest denominator. And I can think of little that's more pointless than discussing politics with strangers on the internet. If I were to choose one word to describe SimHQ these days it would be vapid.

My game for the past few months has been Combat Mission. For two months I have been writing a thread with reviews for CM campaigns. I like to think it's useful, and interesting and even well-written if I may say so (it even has pictures!), it's the sort of thing I'd love to find on the net when looking in to campaigns to play, and I've gotten one three-word reply, and I was happy for that! Like I said I'm self-aware enough to know that it might simply be no one cares or that the stuff stinks. But out of thousands of members, there isn't one who wants to talk about Combat Mission or take the time to leave a comment or ask a question? Sad.

And honestly I feel bad I didn't answer your call in this thread. In some way I feel like it was me or no one, and when I declined it was doomed. How can that be? How can there be no one, on SimHQ! for crying out loud, that wants to fly Falcon online (Wolverine excepted)? I thank you Oden for putting it up and I'm sorry that no one answered.

#4494394 - 10/24/19 05:44 PM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

I would lie if I said I haven't noticed the same, almost no simgame discussions at all.

Your threads and posts sure are something but sub-par or simply put "sucks" is not what they are smile

I can understand not many can write the level of analysis and colorful descriptions you deliver us but I am sure many/all enjoy reading your miniature lexicons

But, if you get no feedback or at least very small attempts to describe a mission event or whatnot from folks own adventures I totally see your thoughts (sadly).

Not sure why things have gone like they've seem, maybe people have gotten used to get entertained and leave it at that moving on for the next consumption.

Maybe sims have become a visual entertainment (printcreen crowd from DCS for instance) resulting in nothing to write about nor question how to improve/succeed/expand, i don't know.

We had our 24/7 BMS campaign and there was always something to write about, if nothing else to put shame on oneself for making mistakes resulting in grand catastrophic mission failures (or was that only me? haha)

Or is it just that we've become too old to actually talk about our adventures?

But please, don't feel bad for not joining this attempt - it wasn't supposed to be a two man show after all.
Maybe next attempt will bring some activity (and I think that one will be 24/7, reading Wolveries post, for any timezoners to fly during their preferred hours and write about their effort afterwards from the campaign we have in common).

Time will tell.

#4494399 - 10/24/19 06:03 PM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Time will tell yes, but will we still be here to notice?

#4494407 - 10/24/19 07:05 PM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

I hear you.

Just ran across this (post from prancing_moose)

https://www.reddit.com/r/falconbms/comments/dlmsyu/kind_of_a_rant/

Maybe this is where discussions/stories are to be found?

#4494446 - 10/25/19 12:55 AM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
Falcon discussion has been pretty dead here for a while. I don't check up on what's going on here as much as I used to and the fact that I joined an awesome vFW almost two years ago means my obligations lie elsewhere.

I was posting info about our wing a while back and hoping to get some interest as we are always recruiting, but to my knowledge, nobody was biting.

Veterans Gaming has a 24/7 server, so you guys that still want to fly and not commit to a vFW can look there to get your MP fix.

I had the pleasure of flying w/ DBond and Axe a couple of times and had a great time with them, but they aren't really active in BMS anymore, so I only pop in from time to time anymore and it's pretty rare to see a new post in this forum. It may be like DBond says, and this is just a hangout for "used to be" simmers.

Anyway, Falcon is still alive and well with alot of guys. You just have to look in other places it seems.

I commend Oden for the effort at any rate.

I don't want to divert the topic with vFW advertising, but if anyone is interested in joining a wing, shoot me a PM. We have a 6 flight IQT, and once you get through it, we have several flights a week with members around the globe, so there is always something going on in your time slot.

[Linked Image]
#4494454 - 10/25/19 03:14 AM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond
Time will tell yes, but will we still be here to notice?

Is this your combat mission?
https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatMission/

schnidrman, I followed and enjoyed your video-series but I guess I was the one not shooting feedback in return on that occasion(s) but as you might have seen in my first post the v-sqn isn't really my thing and too structured with obligations.

I've been flying in close to such an organization before (swedish jibbering) but pushing kids dinner or go shopping or just having other responsibilities in general usually makes that hard effort in the long run to always be "there" at 20:00 or whatever time.

But it sounds like veterans gaming is a good US zone airspace for occational flying as you describe it (but I and a few had issues with someone "bludklot" in falcon many many years ago and as I understood he went flying with VG so it's been a no-go for me for many years).

Also, I have to admit, I too fly/play my simgames in "sweeps" (for lack of better description), which how I read DBond/combatmission, where I do ArmA2 one period, BMS the next followed by ArmA3 and even today I try to DCS for short periods just to move on fisappoineted every year. Wouldn't work with a v-sqn.

Oh well, I need to stop posting at 5 am, my text and 100 edits feels a tad bit inconsisten now smile

#4494458 - 10/25/19 05:12 AM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by theOden

Is this your combat mission?

That's the game yes.

Hey Jason, good to see you. Your videos are great and every time I hear East Bound and Down I think of 'em biggrin

I'm like Oden and I rotate through different stuff, flight sims will come around again I'm sure. So many good games, I get in to something and play until I burn out, then try something different. It was GTA V, Subnautica, Warhammer 2, Grigsby's War in the East, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Elite Dangerous a few times, Football Manager, Subnautica again, three different isometric RPGs and now Combat Mission. Good grief. Over a couple of years though. But that's a good variety and keeps it fresh. Burnout, move on. Always something else to play and the best ones I'll come back to. Hell, I've been playing Combat Mission off and on for nearly twenty years.

#4494459 - 10/25/19 05:44 AM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: DBond]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond

I'm like Oden and I rotate through different stuff, flight sims will come around again I'm sure. So many good games, I get in to something and play until I burn out, then try something different. It was GTA V, Subnautica , Warhammer 2, Grigsby's War in the East, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Elite Dangerous a few times, Football Manager, Subnautica again, three different isometric RPGs and now Combat Mission. Good grief. Over a couple of years though. But that's a good variety and keeps it fresh. Burnout, move on. Always something else to play and the best ones I'll come back to. Hell, I've been playing Combat Mission off and on for nearly twenty years.

You say you may not get the comments you are looking for anymore from your threads, but everything in bold I have purchased because of you, you bastige. lol Not that I have to time to play them to gain any decent amount of compentancy.

Suprises me I can still find the NWS in Falcon.

#4494460 - 10/25/19 06:23 AM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: WolverineFW]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted by WolverineFW

Oh the classic haha smile

#4494504 - 10/25/19 12:21 PM Re: 2019 Autumn Server [Re: WolverineFW]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by WolverineFW

You say you may not get the comments you are looking for anymore from your threads, but everything in bold I have purchased because of you, you bastige. lol Not that I have to time to play them to gain any decent amount of compentancy.

Haha really? Good games though. To be honest it's not necessarily replies to my stuff I seek. That's great and I'd rather have them then not. But it was more to paint the picture of how dead this site is these days, at least in terms of discussion about sims and games. And what people do post is rarely anything about playing the game. It's about hardware, and key commands and it's good or it sucks kind of posts. The most active sim forum here is certainly DCS, and while there are mitigating reasons, I can't recall a single post talking about what the player did in a mission, or an AAR style post which is the sort of stuff I want to read. Of course I'm sure it's happened, I use absolutes to support my points perhaps. But still, it's rare.

In some ways I am what I bemoan as I haven't really played a 'sim' in a long time, although Elite is sim-like. But I still play, and to the point, post about it.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.