Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4494177 - 10/22/19 11:38 PM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Chaz]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"Also, Lucas had star destroyers flying in the atmosphere long before he sold it to Disney. Pretty much all of the prequels had that."

Yeah, when you're watching films like this, you really can't be worried about stuff like that. To tell you the truth, though, I enjoy the Star Trek series more. Heresy, I know. I really like the prequel films. But, that's getting off subject!

Last edited by Pooch; 10/22/19 11:38 PM.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4494179 - 10/22/19 11:48 PM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Pooch]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by Pooch
"Yeah, when you're watching films like this, you really can't be worried about stuff like that.

My reality is pretty well suspended in sci-fi realms, like Star Wars and Star Trek. But that Star Killer base, with a small planet sucking up the mass of an entire sun, and then spitting it out in little fireballs.... Somehow for me, this pulled me completely out of the film.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4494182 - 10/23/19 12:40 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: adlabs6]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by adlabs6
"Yeah, when you're watching films like this, you really can't be worried about stuff like that.

My reality is pretty well suspended in sci-fi realms, like Star Wars and Star Trek. But that Star Killer base, with a small planet sucking up the mass of an entire sun, and then spitting it out in little fireballs.... Somehow for me, this pulled me completely out of the film.

I agree, there's only so far you can push things. It would be like if James Bond became bionic or something - as much as they stretch believability in those movies as they are, that would just push it too far in that context. Rogue One used kyber crystals as a power source for the Death Star, and because we don't really have kyber crystals we can't make any guesses as to their power. However, most Star Wars viewers know what a star is like, and how it compares to a planet, so I think that was too much, even in that context.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4494191 - 10/23/19 01:58 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Force10]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Force10
I'm wondering if the whole movie is going to be like the trailer...1080p @30fps...lol

Seriously, 10 year olds with YT channels output better quality than that.

Movies have always been shown at 24 fps...

#4494201 - 10/23/19 02:37 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Arthonon]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Arthonon

I don't see the issue with the star destroyers being in the atmospheres of planets under full G, considering all of the other stuff they do. Things like spaceships going through space like jet fighters in an atmosphere, the Millennium Falcon taking off and flying through an atmosphere with absolutely no aerodynamics whatsoever, and Bespin floating in an atmosphere.

Also, Lucas had star destroyers flying in the atmosphere long before he sold it to Disney. Pretty much all of the prequels had that.

I always assumed that Star Wars craft utilized some kind of force field related measures to provide optimal aerodynamics when travelling in an atmosphere.

#4494206 - 10/23/19 03:17 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Arthonon]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
However, most Star Wars viewers know what a star is like, and how it compares to a planet, so I think that was too much, even in that context.

And even just as an amateur astronomy guy, even someone who finished high school physics... Imagine if the mass of the sun was suddenly transferred into the Earth. All the planets would have to orbit the Earth now. And after firing all the sun away in fireball bits... Now there is no central mass for the system, so the most massive planet would have to serve (sometime in the next galactic epoch), **IF** the planets weren't thrown completely away into space, in the first place.

Hey, throwing planets their orbits off into deep space, to die in darkness with NO SUN! That's like an even worse, diabolical fate than the fireball bombardment thing. biggrin

Last edited by adlabs6; 10/23/19 03:20 AM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4494209 - 10/23/19 04:02 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

I don't see the issue with the star destroyers being in the atmospheres of planets under full G, considering all of the other stuff they do. Things like spaceships going through space like jet fighters in an atmosphere, the Millennium Falcon taking off and flying through an atmosphere with absolutely no aerodynamics whatsoever, and Bespin floating in an atmosphere.

Also, Lucas had star destroyers flying in the atmosphere long before he sold it to Disney. Pretty much all of the prequels had that.

I always assumed that Star Wars craft utilized some kind of force field related measures to provide optimal aerodynamics when travelling in an atmosphere.

You probably put more thought into it there than the movie-makers did smile I think they were just interested in making something that looked cool, and made it do what the story required.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4494225 - 10/23/19 10:29 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Pooch]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

Yeah, when you're watching films like this, you really can't be worried about stuff like that.

Absolutely correct. It's all about having the correct expectations.

Go ahead and critique every single technical and engineering detail for films like 2001, Gravity and Apollo 13 because all of those films were made with the intent from the very outset to be as accurate as possible to real world physics.

But to try and do that critique with outright fantasy stuff like Star Wars and even Star Trek is absurd.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/23/19 10:30 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4494242 - 10/23/19 01:07 PM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Chaz]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Eh, I already got my ticket for the advanced screening Dec 19. What's done is done, haha.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4494483 - 10/25/19 10:17 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Chaz]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
I agree with what most have said here -> Meh!

They should have never made this series.

It's pathetic how Rey masters a Light Saber and the Force without training and being able to hold off against an extremely well trained opponent (Kylo Ren) banghead
For example, in the first Star Wars series (Episodes IV, V and VI) it took quite long for Luke Skywalker to become a Master with the Light Saber and the Force.

And I could go on, and on, and on.... rolleyes

#4494486 - 10/25/19 10:32 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: ricnunes]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by ricnunes

From a creative perspective you are absolutely correct. From a business perspective though you better believe Disney was going to recover its investment when it paid George Lucas an estimated 4 billion for the Star Wars franchise.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4494541 - 10/25/19 03:02 PM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

From a creative perspective you are absolutely correct. From a business perspective though you better believe Disney was going to recover its investment when it paid George Lucas an estimated 4 billion for the Star Wars franchise.

Well, what I mean is that this series shouldn't be done like this or with this (ridiculous) story. This sucessor trilogy should have been made with much more care about the story or resuming being much better than what it is. Well, guess that great story creativity, specially when it comes to sequels is a thing of the past, go figure...

#4494543 - 10/25/19 03:15 PM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: ricnunes]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Well, what I mean is that this series shouldn't be done like this or with this (ridiculous) story. This sucessor trilogy should have been made with much more care about the story or resuming being much better than what it is. Well, guess that great story creativity, specially when it comes to sequels is a thing of the past, go figure...

I understand what you are saying but there is a disconnect between what you and I think is a good story and what Disney thinks is a good story. Film studios simply go by one metric to determine if a story was "good": box office performance.

Had the first Disney Star Wars film (Force Awakens) flopped at the box office, you better believe that the studio would have totally changed its creative direction and come up with something else. Instead what happened? Force Awakens made just over 2 billion dollars world-wide.

#4494545 - 10/25/19 03:18 PM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Chaz]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I have no interest in seeing The Rise of Skywalker, however the Mandalorian T.V. series might actually be passable.

#4494567 - 10/25/19 05:09 PM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Chaz]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
That looks pretty good...

#4494868 - 10/27/19 07:04 PM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Arthonon]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

I didn't feel the need to see Solo

That was actually a decent movie. I wouldn't have paid theater prices to see it, but I had zero regrets spending 4 bucks (I think) to stream it at home.

#4494918 - 10/28/19 03:23 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Who cares.

The last movie was full retard SJW.

FIFY

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4494919 - 10/28/19 03:24 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: ricnunes]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson

Should have been the Old Republic time.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4494941 - 10/28/19 10:41 AM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: Zamzow]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Zamzow

That was actually a decent movie. I wouldn't have paid theater prices to see it, but I had zero regrets spending 4 bucks (I think) to stream it at home.

That's exactly the problem i found with the film. It was an average decent movie that I enjoyed watching once but that's it. I had zero desire to see it a second time and I quickly forgot many of the details of the story and characters a couple of weeks after I saw the movie.

A very far cry from the effect the original trilogy had on me.

#4494980 - 10/28/19 03:24 PM Re: Star Wars IX Final trailer [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
A very far cry from the effect the original trilogy had on me.

The stories and characters are what still make the original trilogy a pinnacle for me.

My first exposure to any Star Wars movie was when I was maybe 9 years old, and I saw some of Empire during TV broadcast at a friend's house. I didn't get to finish the movie, I only got to watch from the beginning through the asteroid field. But those characters never left my mind. As soon as I got back home, I built myself a Millennium Falcon from Lego, and ran around thinking of Han navigating that asteroid field for days. Imperial walkers on the north ridge.

When I finally got to see all the movies... The story and characters left a mark unlike any other films have ever done.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.