Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 105 of 366 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 365 366
#4493977 - 10/22/19 01:30 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Ahh Gwd, I want more pizza

#4493981 - 10/22/19 01:58 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair
Reaction from a Stun ned crowd pours in at the News about ur Pilot

Attached Files tumblr_m3s8quWvws1r0adt2   crying.giftobey-maguire-crying.gif
Last edited by carrick58; 10/22/19 04:26 PM.
#4493982 - 10/22/19 02:00 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Fullofit – I love your sparing use of ammunition. You’ll be sorry when you have to leave the Strutter.
Harry – congratulations on Laszlo’s promotion.
MFair – poor Drogo. It’s always so dangerous when you first fly after a long break. But good luck with your new man.
Hasse – I’ve really enjoyed the stories of Julius at Johannisthal. Too bad that the transfer mechanics did not work quickly and that you had to start a new career to effect your move Jasta 2.
Carrick – I suspect that René will be getting rather OCD about cleaning his room. “Oh Claudette, is that a dust bunny under there?”
Wulfe – so very relieved to see Fullard back in action, especially now that he has the new Nieuports to play with. And congratulations on the new gong.
Lou – great move, adding the second palm to Fullard’s Croix de Guerre.

Here is the latest from Collins…

An Airman’s Odyssey – by Capt James Arthur Collins, VC, DSO, MC

Part Seventy-Four: In which I receive a fine present

Three days of rain was like manna from heaven. Before my promotion to captain, it had always seemed certain that I should be tagged as orderly officer whenever there was a chance to get away and have a day on the town. But in my present exalted rank freedom was assured. Our Nissen hut was very cosy, but I had not yet added a personal touch to the decor. So I gathered together Tidwell, Child, and Orlebar, and we arranged a tender to bring us into Doullens. I bought a very fine glass-fronted liquor cabinet and a small oval table with four chairs. In a used furniture shop, I found a slightly threadbare Persian rug from under a table. We all pitched in for a case of good claret and a few bottles of port to go with a selection of really excellent cheeses. If the rain held, we planned to enjoy ourselves. Before heading back, we found a café and pastry shop called “A La Source,” where a striking young woman by the name of Marianne served us the best coffee I’d had since I lost Jericho.

Tidwell, Henderson, and I spent most of Thursday, 19 October 1916, playing whist and getting camembert all over the cards. That night, after dinner, I invited all of C Flight to polish off the half round of blue cheese and two boxes of crackers that I had had sent from England.

But best of all, on Friday Major Rodwell informed me that as soon as the weather broke I was to walk over to Candas and take delivery of a new Spad. As it turned out, the weather did not break that day. So, on the morning of Saturday, 21 October 1916, I headed across the fields to the depot and settled myself into the spacious cockpit of a freshly built Spad 7. This machine was quite unlike anything I had flown before. It was well fitted out with an array of instruments, some French, some English, all nestled into some fine coachwork. But best of all was the single Vickers in front of me. One had only to lean slightly to the right in order to use the ring and ball gunsight. Visibility up, down, and to the rear was excellent. The wings were closely spaced, lacking dihedral. Visibility to the front and upward was impaired, which would be a problem in a turning fight. By all accounts, however, one should avoid getting into a turning fight with a Spad. The machine would do 120 miles per hour, and far more in a dive. Better yet, it would hold together in a power drive like no other machine. With this, one could choose when to fight and when to run.

The mechanics at 2 AD ran it up and I climbed into my new office. A captain (whose name I didn’t catch) went over the controls with me and in a couple of minutes the lead Ack Emma gave the prop a pull. The 150 hp Hispano-Suiza gave out a pleasant rumbling roar. I turned into the wind and opened the throttle fully. Very quickly the tail came up and I eased the stick back. Nothing happened. The tail continued to rise. Now, the stick was pulled back into my stomach, but still the tail came up and with a sickening crunch. The propeller dug into the muddy clay and my brand-new Spad cartwheeled “arse over teakettle.” I hung from the straps, unheard in body but devastated in spirit.

It took a bit of work to get me free, and even more work to get the Spad upright. I soon learned that a control cable had not been tensioned, and that the poor mechanics would be the subject of an inquiry. The damage was less than I had feared, though, and by noon I was able to take off without incident and circle our field before landing again. The machine had to be landed at a much higher speed than a BE12. It would take some getting used to.

I limped to the mass for lunch, and shortly before one-thirty I took my new craft aloft for its first patrol. As Tidwell had already departed with C Flight, I flew alone. I headed straight for the lines north of Albert, arriving at 8000 feet. The sky was completely cloudless. Looking into Hunland, I could see clearly as far as Mossy Face Wood, but incredibly there was no other machine in the sky. I patrolled well south of the Somme River, then turned about and headed north past Delville Wood, past Bapaume, past Courcelles, all the way to Monchy. There I turned south again, by now up to 10,000 feet. Often the distance a single black speck headed eastward. Scenting prey, I open the throttle fully and began a long high-speed dive. The speck took shape and acquired a shade – British khaki. The machine was a lone BE2 heading into Hunland. I bank to show my roundels as the Spad was still not a familiar sight in this part of the front. The two men in the BE waved. I did a loop for them and began circling a thousand feet above them. What courage it must take to fly alone in a BE2 so far into enemy territory.

[Linked Image]
"The machine was a lone BE2 heading into Hunland."

I watched as their machine paraded up and down a line north of Bapaume while the pilot operated the camera mounted beside his cockpit. After an eternity, they headed west. Now for the first time I saw enemy aircraft – two plodding Aviatiks heading north. I attempted a beam attack on the nearest but closed two quickly to aim well. Coming about. I tried approaching from under its tail, but the speed with which my machine closed on the Hun surprised me and I did not shoot well. I turned about and approached a second time. This time, however, the Hun’s partner was ready for me and I took some rounds in return. Not wanting to write off my machine for the second time that day, I headed home. There was much to learn.

Attached Files My pet BE.png
#4493986 - 10/22/19 02:37 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Dust Bunnys everywhere ! Which reminds me, I was at a Art expo numerous years ago. It had a number of New Art projects One was the Art of a woman who had no money and a few kids. To cut the story short, her art was Dust bunnies. It was like looking under a giant Bed with Dust Bunnies scattered about. in different poses.

Last edited by carrick58; 10/22/19 02:44 AM.
#4493987 - 10/22/19 02:51 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rene Deassult Lavasure
Sgt, Esc N 68
Manancourt,en Vermois,
Verdun France,

Oct 21 1916.

The 3 of us tangled with a Recon Type on Patrol. I got off two 10 rds strings then broke right to come around again. The other pilots chased it down passed under the clouds and claimed a Kill.

Attached Files CFS3 2019-10-21 19-21-47-47.jpg
#4494082 - 10/22/19 03:17 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert
Wulfe, the French CdG is the equivalent of the British MID. Nearly all pilot CdGs in WWI were at the Army level, thus the palm attachments. Historically, a WWI pilot was mentioned at the Army level nearly every time he was credited with downing an enemy plane, so the aces had a lot of palms on their CdG ribbons. Given Fullard's record it is entirely feasible that he would have been mentioned at least ten times by this point, thus the two silver palms showing on his latest presentation by la fée du gong. And now that James is off to the Somme it is likely he will be mentioned even more often.

True. And I think the silver palms in WWI were actually unofficial at first, but their use was accepted by the French military, because it made wearing the CdG much easier, in case you happened to be one of the guys decorated with a very large number of bronze palms. There are only so many you can fit on a regular-length ribbon, after all.

Here's a CdG from my collection, awarded to a French pilot in the Great War:

[Linked Image]

There are six palms for army citations, and one gold star for a corps citation.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4494085 - 10/22/19 03:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

You are spot on Hasse about the silver palms starting out as unofficial. But they did prove very handy in addressing issues such as that seen on the uniform of Lieutenant Bernard Barny de Romanet of Spa 167, (and he had only 18 victories to his credit).

[Linked Image]

And part of your wonderful collection you say? Nice!

#4494088 - 10/22/19 03:56 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Raine: Capt. Collins in a Spad, eh?That will be interesting. Darn those stupid mechanics though. They nearly ruined James's day!

MFair: terribly sorry to hear about our colleague, Drogo. He'd only just got his Albatros! I'll bet this was one of those new PE Scramble missions. I did warn people, they are lethal and should be skipped. In fact, you probably would have been eligible for a do-over, but I know you're the honorable kind. Looking forward to hearing about your new chap.

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4494091 - 10/22/19 04:26 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

RAF LOU; He only had 18 thats more then I get in WOFF

#4494092 - 10/22/19 04:34 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: HarryH]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted by HarryH
Raine: Capt. Collins in a Spad, eh?That will be interesting. Darn those stupid mechanics though. They nearly ruined James's day!

if the truth be told, Harry, I blamed the in-game mechanics for the fact that my joystick has begun to stick and was not properly calibrated. I can't be arsed spending 75 bucks for some really good damping grease. But I did take the thing apart and lubricate it as best I could afterwards.

#4494103 - 10/22/19 05:03 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert
You are spot on Hasse about the silver palms starting out as unofficial. But they did prove very handy in addressing issues such as that seen on the uniform of Lieutenant Bernard Barny de Romanet of Spa 167, (and he had only 18 victories to his credit).

And part of your wonderful collection you say? Nice!

A great pic of three French aviators!

Here's one rather famous fellow with a CdG ribbon of impressive length:

[Linked Image]

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4494130 - 10/22/19 07:35 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rene Deassult Lavasure
Sgt, Esc N 68
Manancourt,en Vermois,
Verdun France,

Oct 22. 1916.

The Esc put up 5 a/c for a balloon Mission. We ran into Zee Boshe and had to fight. They attacked with 3 a/c from High the we scattered all over the area twisting and turning. My wing mates knocked down one and got Zee Balloon. We lost 1 machine pilot KIA + 2 damaged.

Attached Files CFS3 2019-10-22 12-14-27-63.jpgCFS3 2019-10-22 12-15-31-32.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 10/22/19 07:37 PM.
#4494158 - 10/22/19 10:04 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Thanks for the condolences gents! I’ll be back soon. Stay safe.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4494190 - 10/23/19 01:54 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair: While ur out, the WOFF Corps of Engineers will flatten out the bumps in your flying field.

Attached Files animated-horse-gif-31.gif
Last edited by carrick58; 10/23/19 02:41 AM.
#4494202 - 10/23/19 02:40 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rene Deassult Lavasure
Sgt, Esc N 68
Manancourt,en Vermois,
Verdun France,

23 Oct 1916.

Morning Patrol: Our 3 a/c flight included 1 a/c from 1st section our resident Ace as a Free Rover. The flight spotted a Recon machine and we all made passes . I made 2 firing passes got off 48 rds. The Rover was last and fired one time the enemy machine nosed over in a dive both wings came off before it hit the ground. We had one pilot Wnd .1 machine damaged.

Attached Files CFS3 2019-10-22 19-18-43-42.jpgCFS3 2019-10-22 19-22-31-55.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 10/23/19 02:40 AM.
#4494247 - 10/23/19 01:47 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Hasse, that is the classic photo of Nungesser, and autographed to boot!

Fullofit, so Toby is off to Verdun, eh? I wonder what types of Boche planes he'll run into there. Won't matter of course as he'll just shoot 'em down regardless.

Raine, glad to see that Collins is now in a proper scout plane, he just needs to keep it right-side up. Scary stuff flipping it like that, lucky our man from Canada survived to laugh about it. He'll have the feel of that Spad in no time.

Carrick, I think Rene needs to concentrate more on his sorties. He'd have several claims by now if he put as much effort into chasing the Hun as he does chasing the chambermaid.

23 October 1916
Stow Maries, England

Captain Swanson has had a busy couple of days. On the 21st he met the King and was officially presented with his VC and DSO, after which he was invited to visit briefly with His Majesty. Despite his royal bearing the King put Swany at ease almost immediately and the two visited for nearly an hour. King George seemed most interested in hearing about where Captain Swanson grew up and what it was like living side-by-side with the Indians. Swany in turn asked what it was like to have grown up as royalty and to have such responsibilities throughout one's life. It was a most enjoyable conversation for both men.

Upon returning to Stow Maries late on the morning of the 22nd, Captain Swanson made a brief tour of the camp, grabbed a quick bite of lunch, and ordered that one of the B.E.12s be made ready as he was going for a patrol down to Dover and back. The weather was fair and he was itching to get into the air before things changed and the rains returned. It felt good to be climbing up into the brisk fall air despite the heavy clouds he encountered at 7,000 feet. He continued to climb to the southeast, above the mouth of the Thames, and at 12,000' spotted another plane off to the south over Sheerness. He turned to investigate, expecting to find another B.E. out for a jaunt. But as the gap closed between the two Swany suddenly realized that what he was looking at was a lone Aviatik making its way through the hazy layers. The Captain crept up on it hoping to keep the element of surprise. As he brought his sight to bear on his target the Hun gunner suddenly spotted the threat and began firing just as Swany squeezed the trigger of his Vickers. Volleys were traded and the Captain's aim proved to be the better as the Aviatik quickly rolled onto its back and began the long fall. Swany dove to follow, wanting to make sure it wasn't a ruse. It was not. The Hun plane never recovered, eventually slamming into the ground near the water's edge just east of Sheerness, thankfully missing a nearby farmhouse. Swany was elated. He climbed back up to altitude and scanned the skies for more intruders. Finding none he returned to Stow Maries and put in his claim, phoning the R.F.C. camp near Sheerness for confirmation of his victory. It had been a stellar outing.

Rising up from Stow Maries into a cloud-layered fall sky.
[Linked Image]

At 12,000 feet above the mouth of the Thames near Sheerness an unknown plane is spotted. Swany turns and closes the distance, expecting to meet another B.E.
[Linked Image]

The Captain is quite surprised to see the distinct form of a Hun Aviatik show itself through the haze.
[Linked Image]

He wastes no time slipping up beneath the intruder and letting go with a solid volley just as the enemy gunner does the same.
[Linked Image]

The Hun fires wide and vents the B.E.12's starboard wings, while Swany's shots hit the engine and front cockpit of the Aviatik. The enemy plane falls away.
[Linked Image]

The Captain follows the tumbling craft all the way down and watches it slam into a field near the water's edge, thankfully missing a nearby farmhouse.
[Linked Image]

Back at camp, Swany is quite chuffed, he has his first victory in English skies.
[Linked Image]

#4494284 - 10/23/19 07:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Hasse: and RAF LOU: Regarding The French Pilot Nungesser , One of the aircraft he flew albeit in a film made in AZ/ Ca brought over from France in the 20,s is at the Chino, Ca. Planes of Fame. I was over there and was able to walk around and touch it. at least the 80-90 per cent that is there . A connection with history ? The film is lost due to it being made with Nitrates ( destroys itself with time ) However, I am told that Movie Posters survive somewhere.

RAF Lou: Rene is concerned over Dust Bunnies a plague to the sinus of WOFF pilots at altitude and the low to the floor bed frames fearing Claudette may get stuck while the Esc is up. Truly, a thoughtful French Officer.

Attached Files 220px-Charles-nungesser-hanriot-hd-1.jpgnungesser.jpg__800x0_q85_crop Nung.jpg00a9a7175d0827d0b4b5ece1a9fe0b98  Plane.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 10/23/19 07:48 PM.
#4494291 - 10/23/19 08:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Carrick: Great pics!

Lou: Wow, fancy encountering an Aviatik over Blighty! Did that kind of thing ever happen IRL?

Offiziersstellvertreter Lazlo Halasz
Jasta 1, Bertincourt, France
October 23rd 1916

They had barely left the ground and hadn't even begun to form up when Lazlo heard the familiar whine of the French rotary engine that he knew heralded the arrival of trouble! He glanced over his shoulder and immediately took evasive action as a Nieuport bore down on him. Safe for a moment, a quick survey of the scene and Lazlo counted three French machines. Kette zwei was already engaging and Lazlo looked for his opportunity. Eventually he latched onto one of the Nieuports, and try as he might, Lazlo would not let the Frenchman escape him. He was becoming more adept in fighting these machines, growing in confidence and increasingly familiar with the evasive tactics they liked to employ. He refused to be thrown off. Twisting and turning, inevitably coming down low to the ground, the pursuit continued on until eventually Lazlo was able to slow his foe down with a couple of hits. Finally, closing in, Lazlo delivered the final blow and his quarry plummeted immediately to the ground, exploding on impact. Lazlo had to wrench the stick hard to avoid plowing into the ground alongside!

"Arghhh, YES", howled Lazlo, as he ascended and looked around for more action. His blood was coursing through his veins and spittle flew from his lips as he swiveled his gaze, left and right. Nothing! The skies were empty. It was over as quickly as it had started. He had no idea where the rest of his flight had gone, but suddenly he felt exhausted by it all, and so he returned to Bertincourt to submit his report. As he landed, the plume of smoke from his victim rose into the darkening sky, a short distance to the west of the field.

Last edited by HarryH; 10/23/19 08:41 PM.

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4494297 - 10/23/19 09:17 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Lou, that was an impressive victory. What like to find a loan Hun over the south coast. It sounds like Swany had a good time with the King, and I'm sure the king had a good time with Swany. Best of luck in England!
Harry, excellent work downing that Nieuport without sighting using F6. Nice work by Laszlo.

#4494348 - 10/24/19 10:54 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick, Rene is such a thoughtful sort. To that movie you mention, it was "The Sky Raider" and was released in 1925. It would be great if a copy still existed.

[Linked Image]

Harry, Lazlo is becoming an old hand at this air combat thing, though he did nearly fly himself into the ground bringing down that Nieup. He must be more careful. Wonderful video of your man's fight at dusk.

To your question, it did indeed happen in real life. On October 22nd, 1916 at 13:37, a lone German plane, (likely an L.V.G.), dropped four bombs on Sheerness. Only one of the bombs hit land, reportedly causing £20 worth of damage, with no injuries reported. Later that same day another German plane was spotted off the North Foreland, turning back when it was fired upon by two naval vessels. Again, on the following day, a single German plane bombed Cliftonville at 10:05, causing £229 worth of damage and injuring two.

Raine, thanks. But Swany may be regretting the incident now as he was overwhelmed by reporters that stormed Stow Maries bright and early the next day. He wouldn't have minded so much except that they interrupted his morning jog. He was quite taken aback by all the fuss over a single Hun two-seater and made a point of mentioning it to the press crowd, asking why they weren't over in France where brave fellows are shooting down several enemy planes in a single day. "That's where your stories are", he insisted. The bright spot of the whole affair was seeing Miss Anderson's face in the crowd and having some time to catch up with her. Alex is still most determined to get to France and she whole-heartedly agreed with Swany's statement about the stories being over there. The woman is a pip - a sly, wily, beguiling, pip.

Page 105 of 366 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM