Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4493864 - 10/21/19 08:11 AM Two-Seater defense tactics?  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
In WOFF the adventure and different options for careers are almost endless.
With that said I want to try something different and do a personal DiD campaign where I start in a random two-seater Squadron, learn to bomb and perform other two-seater missions, before finally (if I live that long) transferring to another Squadron - unless I am having a blast in the two-seater. Assuming I’m not in a Quirk.

On the subject of living long what are good defensive tactics in a two-seater?
Can’t imagine I’ll be outmaneuvering enemy scouts, generally speaking, plus when throwing your craft about radically the observer cannot shoot. So what is good? Actually trying to evade the enemy by maneuvers or putting your observer in a good position to shoot? And how?

#4493866 - 10/21/19 09:36 AM Re: Two-Seater defense tactics? [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Crofty Offline
Crofty  Offline

UK
As far as which two seater you choose to fly, that depends on whether you want a bomber or an aircraft which can carry bombs but also fight (occasionally). This would also then determine your tactics

So for instance I enjoy flying the Roland CII. It's not overly manoeuvrable but is relatively quick by 1916 standards. So you can catch a DH2 up if you want, but that's flying a two seater 'aggressively'. The same goes for the Sopwith Strutter.

But your question was about defensive tactics. Most ( if not all) two seaters don't climb as well as single seaters, so my tactic of choice if I'm in trouble is to get down towards the ground as quickly as possible and 'tree hop'. This takes climbing ability out of the equation, if the enemy fighter wants to carry on attacking you, he'll have to do it from behind and can't get beneath you. Giving your gunner the opportunity to hit him. It makes the fight two dimensional, rather than three.

Naturally you have to be wary of where you are when you are flying low, avoiding enemy airfields and camps etc, but generally I've found this tactic works well.

Edit - I should point out this works with rear facing gunners best (although I've done it in Aviatiks, Caudrons and FE2b's too).

Last edited by Simes; 10/21/19 09:50 AM.

So, we take off in ten minutes, we're in the air for twenty minutes, which means we should be dead by twenty five to ten.
#4493867 - 10/21/19 09:37 AM Re: Two-Seater defense tactics? [Re: DukeIronHand]  
mvp7 Offline
mvp7  Offline

The gunner is your best defense. Gently banking is usually enough to give your gunner a good shooting line at an enemy that is not much faster than you.

#4493871 - 10/21/19 10:11 AM Re: Two-Seater defense tactics? [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
My tip is that the best defense is a good offense, aggressively maneuver your gunner into position for a kill if you can. If you can't, go home.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4493874 - 10/21/19 10:40 AM Re: Two-Seater defense tactics? [Re: DukeIronHand]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

I agree with you A_P, fly your two-seater aggressively. Over the years I have tried every tactic in OFF/WOFF and I've had the worse luck, and shortest two-seater careers, when I fly sedately in order to give my gunner firing opportunities. If you are keeping things tame enough to allow him to get a bead on your attacker it is almost certain that your attacker is also getting a good bead on you. Too often you will have a gunner who seems to be drunk or sleeping and he does not take the firing opportunities you provide him anyway. While it may not be fully realistic in terms of how they did it back in the day, I fly every plane as if it had a forward-facing gun. In the current DiD campaign I survived for several months flying the Morane before being transferred to a unit with Strutters, and in that time I survived many go-rounds in it. If your flights would hang together better when they are attacked and offer more group coverage I would give you different advice, but that does not tend to happen very often in this sim. Also, when all else fails, diving down and flying NOE as Simes recommends works well too.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4493876 - 10/21/19 10:50 AM Re: Two-Seater defense tactics? [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Thanks gentlemen. The ultimate wild card being my plane type which will dictate tactics somewhat.
We'll give it a try. If you don't hear back from me make sure I get my Red Cross parcels.

#4493893 - 10/21/19 12:56 PM Re: Two-Seater defense tactics? [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by Ace_Pilto
My tip is that the best defense is a good offense, aggressively maneuver your gunner into position for a kill if you can. If you can't, go home.

+1 thumbsup

#4493991 - 10/22/19 03:45 AM Re: Two-Seater defense tactics? [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
It also helps if you can zoom ahead of and slightly above one or more other aircraft of your flight so your pursuers are in a cross-fire.

Last edited by Raine; 10/22/19 03:46 AM.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans