Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4493647 - 10/19/19 04:23 PM Re: Rear Gunner View Bug? [Re: Lucky Shot]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
FE2B, since it does not have fixed gun, is recognised by cfs3 engine as a bomber. I have asked for correction, but to no avail :-(.

#4493651 - 10/19/19 04:42 PM Re: Rear Gunner View Bug? [Re: Lucky Shot]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Makes sense in the computer world. 2d should be good then.
And probably could add a “invisible no ammo gun” to the 2b to trick the .exe

#4493653 - 10/19/19 04:51 PM Re: Rear Gunner View Bug? [Re: DukeIronHand]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand
Makes sense in the computer world. 2d should be good then.
And probably could add a “invisible no ammo gun” to the 2b to trick the .exe

That is what I (and not only I) have recommended to Pol but without success :-(. Probably due to low interest from flying community?

#4493656 - 10/19/19 05:50 PM Re: Rear Gunner View Bug? [Re: Lucky Shot]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Oh I think there is plenty of interest in a viable Fee for player pilots. And for the simulation in general. What Alb pilot here doesn’t start drooling when he comes across a flight of Fees. Easy meat! Real easy. Too easy. I once whacked a flight of 4 (or was it 5?) single handed as they plodded along. A feel good moment but a good simulation? Or perhaps I am just seeing things through my eyes? smile

Regardless of that to me, the non-programmer, it sounds incredibly simple. Just a (probably) single line of code somewhere in the 2b files that make the .exe think “fixed forward firing gun.” No changes to the .mdl file or .xfm needed as the gun is not really there.

Looking at the 2d files and just copy something over. Unless the magic line is in one of the locked OBD only files.

#4493657 - 10/19/19 05:53 PM Re: Rear Gunner View Bug? [Re: Lucky Shot]  
mvp7 Offline
mvp7  Offline

Fake gun sounds like a smart way to trick the AI into flying the Fees more aggressively. Even if they wouldn't manage the G-forces ideally for the gunner it would still be far more effective than the current straight line formation flying where it's almost impossible for the gunner to shoot anything.

It would be great if the AI two-seaters in general were more reactive in their flying. An AI controlled Aviatik C.I is trivially easy to shoot down but in player hands it becomes almost untouchable just by gently banking counterclockwise which gives the rear facing side machine gun clear line of fire against any pursuer.

#4493660 - 10/19/19 06:04 PM Re: Rear Gunner View Bug? [Re: Lucky Shot]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
And then there is the Roland that thinks it’s the Brisfits brother.
There is a line somewhere, a very fine one, between a bomber acting like a bomber and a bomber acting like a fighter all the time. I guess I’ll say “Be the bomber when you’re a bomber but not the sheep to slaughter.” Good luck with that programming job.
In this specific case though the Fee thinking it’s a B-17 is not working for anyone. At least regular two-seaters have a chance, and a reason to stay in formation, with the rear observers field of fire. The Fee has no chance now. May as well give it one.

EDIT: Is the 2d good? Anyone confirm? I haven’t got back to the sim yet to try my 2d career. Somewhat ironically started after I deleted the 2b fighter career as I forgot, till I was on my first flight, that I didn’t have a gun. Felt kind of naked.

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 10/19/19 06:43 PM.
#4493665 - 10/19/19 06:44 PM Re: Rear Gunner View Bug? [Re: Lucky Shot]  
mvp7 Offline
mvp7  Offline

Two seater fighter-bombers in general are extremely tough opponents in my experience. It's not because of the forward firing weapon but because they don't allow themselves to be safely approached like other two-seaters do. The only pilot I have lost in combat so far was nailed in the cockpit by Roland's rear gunner (note to self: never again test if rear gunners are working while in campaign mode).

In my current German campaign with 40+ missions flown during winter 1916-1917 I have shot down about twenty Nieuports and couple Cauldrons but not a single Strutter. Strutters aren't even that common in the Verdun region but every time they appear, half of the Jasta is written-off.

During the campaign I have been forced to land three times: First time my Eindecker was completely outmaneuvered by a Strutter in dogfight and I had to crash bleeding in French territory; The second time my pilot started bleeding after getting hit by a Strutters rear gunner; Third time I almost lost the pilot against a Strutter despite some highly effective tactics (if I do say so myself):

After a typically hazardous dogfight with a Strutter (that was attacking my home field) it decided to head back home. I followed it doing multiple climbing strafing attacks and hammerhead turns to make the gunner's work as hard as possible. A bit before the no-mans-land the Strutter feigned loss of control and continued towards the French side just couple dozen meters from the ground. This prevented me from doing a safe approach, I took some hits and I lost engine power right on top of the border. If my engine had kept going for a second longer or if there hadn't been a convenient gap in the trees lining the River that was between the French and German side, I would have lost the pilot. The Strutter had received several dozen hits and was smoking a bit but flying fine and that's the closest I or any of the AI pilots have come to shooting down a Strutter.

It really makes a massive difference whether the two-seaters are maneuvering or just passively flying straight and level.

#4493676 - 10/19/19 07:29 PM Re: Rear Gunner View Bug? [Re: Lucky Shot]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
It does but formation keeping by two seaters for self defense was not an unknown concept even in WW1 - certainly by 1917/18. It was recognized clearly that it was better to stay together then do the “fighter break formation and maneuver” thing. But yes. Staying in formation doesn’t necessarily always mean flying absolutely straight and level but there is a limit to how “real and human” you can make the AI. And I don’t think turning all AI bombers into fighters is the way to go either. That would really be phony and break the game. Some things we may just have to suck up. But the 2b needs help.

#4493709 - 10/20/19 12:55 AM Re: Rear Gunner View Bug? [Re: Polovski]  
Lucky Shot Offline
Lucky Shot  Offline

MD
Thanks,. I gotta say it again great game and fantastic community with responsive developers. Worth every penny.

James Overman
#4493735 - 10/20/19 10:31 AM Re: Rear Gunner View Bug? [Re: Lucky Shot]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
They were used as scouts, some crews even called them "Fighting Experimentals" instead of "Farman Experimentals". They should definitely be more aggressive than they are, that is depending on their mission profile and payload. Aviatiks should be a bit keener too imo.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse