Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4491820 - 10/07/19 10:31 AM Altered Carbon  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I finally watched the first episode of this series last night.

Pros:

1. Really good cast, especially Mark Purefoy who became immortalized for me as Marc Antony in "Rome".

2. Really good production values and set design. The huge influence of Blade Runner is unavoidable here.

3. Interesting story "hook" or mystery to draw you in (ie who killed Mark Purefoy's character).

Cons:

1. I'm kind of confused on why this future society is the way it is but I'm sure I'll learn more as the series goes on. Naturally, those viewers who have read the book will have a big advantage.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4491871 - 10/07/19 02:11 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Great story, the best of the book series and an amazing production for the show. It may be a little hard to follow and it does differ in some ways from the book, but similar to the Expanse, not all changes are drawbacks but improvements. The Raven is The Hendrix in the book, but Poe is such a great character in the show that I prefer the new version. They couldn't get the Hendrix estate to go along with it, so they had to pivot...for the better. Envoys weren't a terrorist group in the book, but it all still works well enough.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4491917 - 10/07/19 05:30 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Personally I didn't need any reason why the society was the way it was. It is what it is.

Trying to explain it, justify it and demystify it just lessens it.

#4491922 - 10/07/19 05:54 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog
Personally I didn't need any reason why the society was the way it was. It is what it is.

Trying to explain it, justify it and demystify it just lessens it.

To each their own but with any kind of "world building" done in a science fiction setting you at least should have some basic explanation and logic behind why things are the way they are. I'm not asking for a precise in-depth answer to every specific facet of that society.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4491934 - 10/07/19 06:57 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

To each their own but with any kind of "world building" done in a science fiction setting you at least should have some basic explanation and logic behind why things are the way they are. I'm not asking for a precise in-depth answer to every specific facet of that society.

I've never had the need to have the reasons why Star Wars was the way it was explained to me. When Lucas tried to do some of that, he utterly created the worst crap of the whole Series, ruining the magic he had already created. (yes, I will never ever forgive Lucas for the utter #%&*$# that is Episode 1-3).

Just like Blade Runner is an epic (in the correct version), but nothing is explained about the backstory., You just get dropped into it and accept it.

Look what happened when James Cameron tried to explain the backstory of Alien - behold Prometheus!

#4491935 - 10/07/19 07:04 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Look what happened when James Cameron tried to explain the backstory of Alien - behold Prometheus!

You make some valid points except this one. Cameron had nothing at all to do with Prometheus. That was all Damon Lindelof, Jon Spaihts and Ridley Scott.

#4491937 - 10/07/19 07:38 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway

You make some valid points except this one. Cameron had nothing at all to do with Prometheus. That was all Damon Lindelof, Jon Spaihts and Ridley Scott.

Point is just as valid, even more. He tried to explain his universe (Alien) and the result was meh.

#4491942 - 10/07/19 08:33 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Well, it could actually have been great with a bit more plot refinement, and if they had rolled with the concept of Alien Queens. Deconstructing that part of the established canon was utterly unnecessary. BUT... we discussed Prometheus in a separate thread, let's keep it there.

Generally I agree, if you have a world that is substantially at odds with the world we're accustomed to, trying to explain everything usually results in contradictions, and/or implausibilities. IOW, it usually creates more problems than it solves. Plus, you need more story exposition, and then the question is how you prevent it from a boring history lesson/monolog, or a contrived dialog. When story time is at a premium, this is best left out. Of course, there's the example of Lynch's Dune, where nothing makes sense - unless you read the novels first, in which case it's relatively decent (and great at times).

And now, back to Altered Carbon...

#4491949 - 10/07/19 08:53 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The history does unfold some throughout the storytelling, but basically this is very far in the future despite looking pretty relatable. Only so much will be explained.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4493244 - 10/16/19 11:27 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
One way or another, I'm glad I came across this thread because I really loved the first episode. I've been looking for something to watch and I may have found it. I'm going to watch a few more episodes and see if it suites me. smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4493274 - 10/17/19 11:44 AM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: letterboy1]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by letterboy1
One way or another, I'm glad I came across this thread because I really loved the first episode. I've been looking for something to watch and I may have found it. I'm going to watch a few more episodes and see if it suites me. smile

If you really loved the first episode why did you drop the series?

#4493311 - 10/17/19 04:13 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

I've never had the need to have the reasons why Star Wars was the way it was explained to me. When Lucas tried to do some of that, he utterly created the worst crap of the whole Series, ruining the magic he had already created. (yes, I will never ever forgive Lucas for the utter #%&*$# that is Episode 1-3).

Just like Blade Runner is an epic (in the correct version), but nothing is explained about the backstory., You just get dropped into it and accept it.

Proper world-building doesn't need to show the backstory. Blade Runner was full of world-building, because proper building shows you the world, like a guide taking you on a tour, integrating you with culture, sights, sounds, people and places and customs. When the world feels alive, as if it can operate on its own without you there, that is the hallmark of a world builder's job well done.

I think the issue with Lucas and Episode 1 - 3 was that everything felt so forced, bland, and blah for the sake of "kids" or "action." If he had maybe revised his scripts with several more passes, and threw out much of the bad and rewrote entire sections, they might have been better. But the core problem there was his outline at conception.

Speaking as someone who has written novels, at least for myself I find it very helpful to know the beginning and the end of a story before beginning writing. Then, at that point, I'll write a rough synopsis of what the story should look like, and after that draft a key point progression for the story--key events and turnings throughout, in a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. fashion.

Then I begin.

Lucas may have done that, but he might have overlooked the most important later step--be willing to trash some of those key points when they don't work. He also missed another critical feature--give the audience what they want, not what you /think/ they want. Much of 1 - 3 felt forced, and not natural. These movies had a world that felt like something, but to me, in the end distilled into a jumbled bland uninteresting mess. He missed the mark. That's when you toss stuff in the bin and start over.

I'm a small fry though. Lucas is a Billionaire. So what the hell do I know?

#4493324 - 10/17/19 05:57 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA

If you really loved the first episode why did you drop the series?

I must have typed my words wrong. I didn't drop Altered Carbon. I just finished episode 6 of season 1. I was saying that I loved the first episode and thought I'd watch a few more to see how I feel about it. Well, I'm pretty much hooked at this point. Also, quite a few hot women. smile

#4493328 - 10/17/19 06:12 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Ortega...
Looking forward to the next season, although the first book was the best. Should still be really good, even with a new cast.

#4493355 - 10/17/19 09:05 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The women are indeed nice to look at and I was really happy to see Mark Antony again. smile

#4493524 - 10/18/19 08:31 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
The women are indeed nice to look at and I was really happy to see Mark Antony again. smile

Which character did he play? For some reason, I was not able to Google or IMDB this name to fit a character in Altered Carbon. Might be the vodka. smile

#4493880 - 10/21/19 11:22 AM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: letterboy1]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Which character did he play? For some reason, I was not able to Google or IMDB this name to fit a character in Altered Carbon. Might be the vodka. smile

The actor is James Purefoy and he played Laurens Bancroft.

#4501766 - 12/27/19 10:32 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Looking forward to series 2 in Feb..

#4506163 - 02/04/20 09:55 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
trailer for Season 2, coming late february:

#4507775 - 02/18/20 01:04 PM Re: Altered Carbon [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
So I finally finished season 1 and I have a few observations:

This show is an anomaly for me because while it has very good production values and very good acting performances, it isn't grabbing me at an emotional level. None of the "deaths" you see during the season and especially in the finale affected me at all with the exception of one character in the final episode.

Having said that, I will be watching season 2 since it seems that the narrative will be quite different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.