Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4492849 - 10/14/19 02:25 PM Ambient vs information  
mvp7 Offline
mvp7  Offline

Not sure if this has already been discussed somewhere but I thought it could be useful to discuss what ambient sound effects people find confusing in WOFF PE.

To me personally the most confusing ambient sound in the game is the sound of ground machine guns. When you are flying over the front or even deep in friendly territory (which I presume is a bug) you will occasionally hear a series of erratic machine guns bursts.

The problem with the sound effect is that it's way too loud and way too clear. Even though the ground machine guns are several kilometers below and away, they sound the same as an aircraft machine gun shooting at you from hundred yards. I have lost count of how many times I have started panicky evasive maneuvers before realizing it was just the ambient shooting.

I think ambient machine guns should be barely audible and somewhat muffled from any significant distance. Compared to the sounds of artillery and aircraft machine guns I don't know if they should be audible at all in a cockpit. The short an erratic nature of the fire is also odd. I would rather expect continuous fire from several machine guns mixed with rifle fire. I find it hard to imagine common WW1 Western front scenarios where just a machine gun or two would fire couple isolated bursts.

Another ambient sound that I have found confusing are air raid sirens. At least in UE on some fields you would hear the sound of distant sirens coming from nowhere in particular. These sirens have resulted in some pointless searching.

The most annoying ambient sound might have been fixed in PE but in UE there used to be a sound of plane passing over after you landed and it made me jump countless times.

Last edited by mvp7; 10/14/19 02:27 PM.
#4492864 - 10/14/19 04:49 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
I'd love to find that stupid siren file and delete it. Listening to it at 10,000ft over the sound of my engine drives me crazy.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4492869 - 10/14/19 05:24 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
I too have noticed pretty much all of the things mentioned by Mvp7.

The sound of the "random invisible airplane flying by when you are landing" is located in a couple of the airfield ambiance sound files and could be easily fixed by clipping that part out, so hopefully that might happen in a future fix.

I too have had a few occurrences of a machine gun sounding loudly and clearly while flying well behind the lines (like you are being shot from an invisible attacker, scares the crap out of you) . It is rare but is definitely a thing. I caught the tail end of one occurrence on video so could post if desired.

In general, it does seem that certain sounds sometimes don't 'range' properly, such as when you return to base far from the frontlines but can still hear all the frontline ambiance sounds (artillery bursts etc) loudly as if you were still there. This 'ranging' issue might tie together with the air-raid sirens and machine gun sounds that travel too far?

#4492874 - 10/14/19 05:34 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Agreed on the machine gun sounds. Flying along all happy when I hear machine gun bursts. I jig and jag only to find no one there. Still hear the guns. I turned on labels and there was a dogfight going on 4 miles away.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4492879 - 10/14/19 06:16 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
You guys using the click button “Realistic” sounds in the Workshop?

#4492880 - 10/14/19 06:35 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
mvp7 Offline
mvp7  Offline

Yeah I use realistic sounds (with slightly reduced engine volume to avoid tinnitus). These ambient sounds are audible regardless of the sounds settings. I'd imagine the cfs3 engine is pretty limited in it's ability to scale and distort sounds so that's probably the core reason for the most of the oddities.

#4492881 - 10/14/19 06:39 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Interesting.
Don’t be afraid to re-name or move soundfiles from the game.
I’ve done that before especially with the church bells and air raid sirens though I have not felt the need lately.

#4492887 - 10/14/19 06:56 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: DukeIronHand]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand

Yep! smile

#4492902 - 10/14/19 07:42 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Same here with the MG sounds... they always make me jump, lol!

#4492903 - 10/14/19 07:46 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Thanks for this topic. I didn't know those sounds were ambient ones. I always thought that I'm missing action somewhere. I think this needs to be fixed at a code level because if you change the sound file, then it would also change when you're up close or far away which is not realistic either. It would be good to have the sounds so faint from far away and loud up close.

#4492922 - 10/14/19 10:13 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

same......that random stuff....other than the expected thud of artillery over the front seems like it has always been there....learned to ignore it but it'd be great to put it into a real sound perspective. I expect the devs are aware and may be working on it....in addition to the GAZILLION OTHER THINGS....that make this #%&*$# great....nuff said

#4492933 - 10/15/19 12:06 AM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand

Yeah, I've played with that setting, it seems to do absolutely nothing at my end. Those distant MG sounds have given me a few grey hairs also.

#4492936 - 10/15/19 12:25 AM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
mvp7 Offline
mvp7  Offline

I'm pretty sure the realistic sounds is just a preset for the volume sliders. It mainly increases the volume of engines and air flow compared to the other preset.

#4493060 - 10/15/19 09:33 PM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

My current settings seem to have all but eliminated these sound attenuation issues for me.

Engine: 60
Effects: 30
Cockpit:30
User I/F: 10

A volume control for the music would be greatly appreciated, masterful as the score is, I find it obnoxiously loud .

#4493085 - 10/16/19 12:06 AM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
mvp7 Offline
mvp7  Offline

Could be interesting to have a related discussion about what pilot could or could not hear in open cockpit.

One thing that seems especially odd in WOFF is how the sound of air flow works.

In Rise of Flight, you can clearly hear the sound of air flow all the time and it is close to the volume of engine sound. You could actually tell that you are close to stalling speed if you can't hear it over the engine and if it is drowning the engine sound you could tell you are going too fast. This seems pretty correct and intuitive.

In WOFF you generally can't hear the sound of air flow over the engine. The only times you actually hear it seem to be when you are either entering AOA stall or when you are hit by a gust of wind. Both seem (or sound?) a bit odd. Would the noise produced by stalling be significantly louder than the sound generated by normally flying at high speed? The wind also doesn't seem like that significant when you consider the speed of the aircraft itself.

Last edited by mvp7; 10/16/19 12:35 AM.
#4493095 - 10/16/19 12:33 AM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by mvp7
One thing that seems especially odd in WOFF is how the sound of air flow works.

In Rise of Flight, you can clearly hear the sound of air flow all the time and it was close to the volume of engine sound. .

I would also expect to hear the airflow quite loudly. I have little experience with an open cockpit aircraft, but imagine it being similar to riding my motorcycle at highway speeds ... the engine can barely be heard over the very load wind noise. Wind noise would help with the feeling of speed and give an additional cue to how fast you are flying.

#4493096 - 10/16/19 12:40 AM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
I could be wrong, but I think there was a thread a few years back where a few people found the "sweet spot" for the sound settings (I remember they differed from Realistic settings).

If I can ever successfully manage a deep search through the forums, I'll post the link. If anyone remembers that discussion please chime in.

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4493097 - 10/16/19 12:56 AM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Originally Posted by mvp7
Would the noise produced by stalling be significantly louder than the sound generated by normally flying at high speed? The wind also doesn't seem like that significant when you consider the speed of the aircraft itself.

No, less airspeed means less wind which means less noise. You will get a different sound, shuddering and turbulent air followed by comparative silence in the actual stall itself.

The real thing is layered with more sensations than aural cues alone and this is impossible to recreate in a simulator. Rise of Flight has an excellent approximation of the actual sound of open cockpit flying which is because the RoF sound engine allows this. The sounds in WoFF work differently and so the wind noises are played as cues to the player to tell you things that an aircraft would actually tell you in flight.

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 10/16/19 12:57 AM.

#4493115 - 10/16/19 08:14 AM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Going to give Ace_Pilto’s settings a go.
At “Realistic” I think you hear too much. Over the front the sounds of the barrage are interesting but not realistic IMHO. In reading Pilots would say they could hear “ambient things” (like arrillery) only when they throttled back the engine to idle and were low over the front.
Which leads me to think in normal flying the main sound source has to be the engine. You’re sitting on top of the thing with (usually) the exhaust pipes very close. They also mention hearing the sounds (or they are supposing it for literary purposes) of enemy gunfire when close. Not a lot of mention is made really of what they hear because...engine.
Engine has to be loud as heck and by far the biggest source of sound.

#4493117 - 10/16/19 08:43 AM Re: Ambient vs information [Re: mvp7]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

I've tuned my settings to work best according to the limitations that seem to be present (The categorisation of sounds), a better way of dealing with this would be to take the actual sound files themselves and change the levels and then re-inject them into the game in a mod. I could probably fudge my way through this editing Audacity or something but identifying and then editing and getting them back in the game in the form of a mod would be something I'd need help with from people who have more technical expertise and who know their way around the WoFF file handling system. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd love to give it a go and come up with a sound mod because the sounds are truly great base material to work with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse