Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4492551 - 10/12/19 12:37 AM Crimson Skies and Win 10  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

This adapted from a post in the EAW forum. As such, there is some reading to do, but I promise you that the answers to running Crimson Skies on Win 10 (and likely other OpSys's) are contained herein. Just be patient, please.

Some key info, whose value/meaning will become apparent later on:

Win 7 Pro x64 computer System: Dell Optiplex 760 SFF, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 240W PSU, 8 GB RAM (Max allowable), Nvidia GT 730 Graphics card. SSD HD.

Win 10 Pro x64 computer System: Dell 8390 tower, Seasonics 600W PSU, Intel 8th gen I7 CPU, 32 Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX 2060 OC Pro Gfx card. SSD hd.

Both systems and all relevant programs updated using Windows Update, Intel, Dell, and Nvidia web sites, as appropriate. More to the point, even the Win 7 System is wildly in excess of the minimum requirements of the game.

The following describes how graphics features in the Crimson Skies game, formerly not accessible on the abovementioned Win 7 system, were accessed on the Win 10 system, also described above. The "Video' features available within the game, on the Win 10 system visually blow-away the rather ordinary graphics features seen on the Win 7 machine; Night-versus-day difference. I was shocked at the improvement, hence this post. The monitor used is the same one with both computers. Lower down, there is specific info on how to access various patches to upgrade your Win 10 computer (and possibly earlier Opsys's) in order to run Crimson Skies. I have used the "Widescreen" patch on both my computers, and can confirm that the V 1.02 game, with patch applied, runs well on Win 7 Pro x64 and Win 10 Pro x64. The original post was written in an attempt to persuade users to consider radically upgrading their hardware to possibly "unlock" some Gfx features heretofore unobtainable in older games, using Crimson Skies as an example of an older game.

"I used Crimson Skies as an example of an older game which obtained some considerable and unexpected graphics benefits when played on a pretty good modern computer. The fundamental point to all this is that other games might show similar unexpected benefits from careful upgrading of various computer components; Might not, either. Depends on the game, and possibly the level of upgrade required to "unlock" some features.

The exact Gfx features (in Crimson Skies) inaccessible to the decent Win 7 machine are "LIGHTING QUALITY", and "SHADOWS". These selections can be accessed from Main Menu screen > "Preferences" > "Video". The Win 7 machine will not allow "Lighting Quality" to be selected at all. The "Shadows" feature can be selected, but does not seem to be applied, because when next accessing the "Video" screen options, it has been de-selected. In all events, all the other "Video" features are maxxed-out. On the Win 10 computer, OTOH, all "Video" menu selections can be selected, and at highest possible level. The result is FAR more visually pleasing (and far more realistic) than the game played on the Win 7 machine. To sum up: If upgrading one's computer "unlocks' some heretofore unavailable features on an old game like Crimson Skies, what possibilities might such upgrading unlock in other games?

But, don't take my word for it. See for yourself. There are free downloads of CS on the internet for those who do not already have a copy. Try to download V1.02 version, which incorporates the MANDATORY, official, V1.02 patch for the game. If your CD is dated "2000" then it probably lacks the V1.02 patch; if it is dated "2000-2003" the V1.02 patch is probably included on the disk . Install the game, and make sure to run the patch. REPEAT: Only use a V1.02 version of the game as a basis for further patches/mods.

This site: https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=69314 has 3 things of interest:

1) The official V 1.02 Patch
2) The Crimson Skies "Fix' (CSFix) that allows the game to run on more modern computers.
3) The "Widescreen" patch that allows the native resolution of one's monitor to be used, AND which also contains the "CSFix patch.

This site https://blackjackshangar.blogspot.com/2015/08/crimson-skies-in-windows-10.html has some visual depictions, as well as 2 downloads of interest:

1) A V1.02 COCD version of the game.(I have some hesitation about this; caution suggested)
2) The HD video "fix" for the game. Provides suggestions for CSFix and DGVoodoo methods; from WSGF site.

There are instructions at both of the sites linked above. Download sites for the base game abound, but most are silent on which version of the game they offer (V1.0 vs V1.02). I suggest assuming the first version, and so applying the V1.02 patch as a matter of course. Won't hurt a version already patched to V1.02.

Once again, remember that all the above only applies to versions of the game patched to V1.02.

So, try it for yourself, and see for yourself. You have all the tools necessary to make your own evaluation. Please note that some others have successfully made this transition, and are now playing the game in Win 10, and presumably earlier versions of Windows which were not originally suitable for Crimson Skies. Whether or not your computer ensemble is capable of "accessing" the abovementioned features, well, that remains to be "seen" as it were. If you are so inclined, please report back on whether or not you were able to access the features under discussion. I suspect the Gfx card has the most to do with accessing the "features' discussed here."

So, sorry for the long read, but you have the info needed to make a V1.02 version of Crimson Skies run well on Win 10x64, and likely other older Operating Systems. if you have problems, I regret to say that I am a simple info provider, and not a computer whiz. Regretfully, you are on your own if you encounter problems.

Submitted for your consideration.

Last edited by RIBob; 10/12/19 12:45 AM.
#4492792 - 10/13/19 11:47 PM Re: Crimson Skies and Win 10 [Re: RIBob]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Just a little surprised that there is so little interest in getting Crimson Skies up and flying on Win 10. It's a light-hearted sim, but with all the realism settings set to max, and the difficulty level set to max, rather demanding. IMHO.

If your computer system allows, try activating the "Shadows" and 'Lighting Quality" features. The sim will look far better with such features enabled than without them.

Like night-and-day comparison. Please report back if you are able to activate the abovementioned features.

#4492796 - 10/14/19 12:21 AM Re: Crimson Skies and Win 10 [Re: RIBob]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
It was a great, fun flying gamer for sure. I always wished there would be a sequel... Thanks for the info!

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4493061 - 10/15/19 09:34 PM Re: Crimson Skies and Win 10 [Re: ArgonV]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by ArgonV
It was a great, fun flying gamer for sure. I always wished there would be a sequel... Thanks for the info!

There is a sequel, called "Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge. It is available for play on XBox. It works well on my XBox 1S, when attached to my HDTV, and the sound routed through the TV surround system. It is also backwards compatible with XBox 360, via a downloadable emulator. There is, as yet, no HOTAS rig that is certified to work both with the game AND XBox1, so you will need to use the regular XBox controller. I had to invert the vertical aspect of the XBox controller (easy to do), and then I could fly more-or-less intuitively.

I also use my XBox 1S as a "streaming" hub for various web services, and it is great for that as well.

Details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Skies:_High_Road_to_Revenge

Last edited by RIBob; 10/15/19 09:35 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.