Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 33 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
#4492700 - 10/13/19 01:37 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Here’s your drink Catch. I don’t have a drinking problem. I drink, I get drunk, I fall down, no problem!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4492720 - 10/13/19 11:12 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

It's official, having met our most strenuous entrance requirements and financial investigation into his ability to pay his bar tab, Simes is now a member of questionable standing in the Barmy OFFers Club. Welcome aboard Simes!

As to why I am down here on the floor, the better question would be why are you lot way up there by the ceiling? Barkeep! Three fingers of the Aberfeldy 21, neat, on our newest member's tab if you would be so kind. BWOC BWOC BWOC! Oooo, look, a peanut!

#4492721 - 10/13/19 11:17 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I should mention for the benefit of our new members, there are still a few of our spiffing club pins available. Please follow the link for further information and PM me if you are interested in purchasing one. Christmas is coming, you really should treat yourselves. cheers

Link to BOC pin thread

#4492730 - 10/13/19 01:14 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Lou, roll to the right. I did say “I fall down.”

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4492734 - 10/13/19 01:48 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Members of dubious standing are known for performing that maneuver at dangerously low altitudes.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4492766 - 10/13/19 07:29 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Crofty Offline
Crofty  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

It's official, having met our most strenuous entrance requirements and financial investigation into his ability to pay his bar tab, Simes is now a member of questionable standing in the Barmy OFFers Club. Welcome aboard Simes!

That's great news, I haven't been this happy since the closing titles of Red Baron started.

Since everyone else is drowning themselves in scotch I'll keep the debit bank balance within mathematical boundaries and have a pint of sludge please barman. beercheers

So, we take off in ten minutes, we're in the air for twenty minutes, which means we should be dead by twenty five to ten.
#4493063 - 10/15/19 09:55 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Dynamix's original Red Baron? Those were the days. I remember they actually used 3D models instead of 2D sprites and you could even see the wires holding the wings on! Such detail. My levels of immersion were increased to epic proportions that summer holiday by those jaggy bracing wires and the nice little scene that played every time you won a gong. You could even see the medals on your character's tunic in the career menu. If someone had told me what was in store for the future I would have completely freaked out.

#4493112 - 10/16/19 07:43 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Crofty Offline
Crofty  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Ace_Pilto
Dynamix's original Red Baron? Those were the days. I remember they actually used 3D models instead of 2D sprites and you could even see the wires holding the wings on! Such detail. My levels of immersion were increased to epic proportions that summer holiday by those jaggy bracing wires and the nice little scene that played every time you won a gong. You could even see the medals on your character's tunic in the career menu. If someone had told me what was in store for the future I would have completely freaked out.

To be honest I was being a bit sarcastic (even though I'm truly honored to be a member of the Barmy OFFers club obviously). The Red Baron I was referring to was that bloody awful film a few years back. The one where they thought it 'historically accurate' to portray Lanoe Hawker as a fat full bearded bloke who screamed like a baby when in a fight....and put him in an SE5?!? They also seemed to have only shot one air fight scene for the whole film but broke it up into half a dozen pieces......and the fact you can apparently hear a mouth organ being played in mid air with unmuffled engines.....I could go on but won't.

It was about as accurate a film as you recording me holding and moving two paper planes about going "neeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh" now and again.

As for Red Baron the game, I only started playing when Red Baron II came out.....and the rest is history...I've been hooked on air combat sims ever since. The dogfights in that game are still some of the best ever and I still have a good workable version on my PC today.

Last edited by Simes; 10/16/19 07:44 AM.

So, we take off in ten minutes, we're in the air for twenty minutes, which means we should be dead by twenty five to ten.
#4493116 - 10/16/19 08:34 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

The original title was "Von Richthofen and Brown" from memory. The "novel" wasn't much better.

The movie was typical Hollywood dross and follows their format of missing the point entirely, getting everything wrong and using a historical premise to promote "class" resentment which dishonours both classes in the process as well as the historical figures. Luckily these days we don't need that garbage to get a glimpse of the past! Next round is on me chaps!

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 10/16/19 08:35 AM.

#4493142 - 10/16/19 11:44 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

We at the BOC have a special honour for Roger Corman's classic "Von Richthofen and Brown" in which the new lads serve as the throwers.

"PULL!" BOOM BOOM!

It's so satisfying to watch that masterpiece-o-s explode in midair and rain down its pulverized bits everywhere. It only takes one shot if you're good but we all use both barrels simply because we hate it so much, and as tribute to the overkill style Corman was so fond of. And, because it gave the movie rave reviews when it was first released, we also toss up rolled copies of the New York Times and turn them to confetti as well. Oh look, an original Betamax edition of "VR&B" in mint full color box, this could be worth a pretty penny.

"PULL!" BOOM BOOM!

Guess we'll never know.

#4493145 - 10/16/19 12:10 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

I always loved taking that second shot from the over and under t pick half of the clay I'd already hit and pulverise it some more. Sorry, just a natural "show off" I guess.

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 10/16/19 12:10 PM.

#4493148 - 10/16/19 12:45 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Oh yes, good fun AP.

#4493151 - 10/16/19 12:56 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Crofty Offline
Crofty  Offline

UK
I think it's a close call between Richthofen & Brown and The Red Baron as to who claims the award for total bollocks.

The fact that they think it's accurate to have Boelcke, Richthofen, Udet, Voss and even Goring in the same Jasta at the same time. Jeez if the allies had only known that earlier, one decent bomb drop on that chateaux full of aces and you've won the war......or 'var' as they say in that film. 'Ve vant tu vin ze var'.....in an accent so contemptible it makes Allo Allo look like Downfall.

As for the Red Baron.....ok let's create an historical masterpiece by having MvR and Brown land together in a beautiful tranquil (and crater free) No Man's Land, have a chat about war and girls....and then bugger off back to base. Because that happened just about every day didn't it....or Lothar von Richthofen being such an obnoxious little runt you'd have happily seen him flamed in scene one ar15 . Or Werner Voss (yes the 19 year old) being so old in the film he could have been MvR's dad...in fact it wouldn't have surprised me if they'd made that a storyline too.

Both films could have been brill, but both are complete cobblers...and actually an insult to the pilots (supposedly) involved.

Last edited by Simes; 10/16/19 12:56 PM.

#4493152 - 10/16/19 12:59 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Leesten very carefully, I vill say deez onlee wunce

Allo Allo is sacred ground and exempt from criticism.

Hollywood just needs to leave MvR alone and stick to making uninspired, formulaic remakes of other revenue streams.

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 10/16/19 01:02 PM.

#4493160 - 10/16/19 01:32 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

"Allo Allo" is indeed sacred ground, we simply enjoy that one as the classic that it is.

As to the recent "Red Baron" film, the good thing about it is it's readily available in used DVD copies, and those things sail so nicely when trap shooting.

#4493161 - 10/16/19 01:36 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Unironically, "Allo Allo" presents a more realistic portrayal of the German occupation than a lot of "historical" narratives. A bunch of hidebound bureaucrats covering their asses with more force at their disposal than common sense.

#4493162 - 10/16/19 01:45 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

oww t-r-rue monsieur, and before you ask, I 'av no matches.

#4493169 - 10/16/19 02:22 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

If anyone is interested...

I had an uncle who lived just out of Eindhoven during WW2. He was arrested by the SS twice. (First time for stealing a Wehrmacht officer's cap from a kubelwagen nt long after the occupation began, and then afterwards for throwing a half a brick through SS HQ's first floor window in 1944. He was fined for both offenses and, after being trialed by the local Gauleiter, was sent home and given one hell of a hiding by his old man. He told me that he was was probably very lucky that his father was on good terms with the mayor but he also intimated to me that most people were more afraid of the allied bombing campaign than they were of the Germans who generally treated them with respect.

This may have been because he saw a B-24 eat #%&*$# just outside his home in Feb or March 1944 (Probably part of the "Big Week" or "Operation Argument" campaign), Apparently he saw it go straight in, vertically leaving a crater that was stilll there until the 1950's

#4493281 - 10/17/19 12:19 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia
Barmy chaps, I thought we might have a moving picture night. Something different. Perhaps this Friday. After the ceremonial furniture stacking, king of the chair presentation, and accordant bonfire of course! Ladies strictly prohibited due to their sensitive nature. Man the bars chaps and present your glasses. Cheers to the BOC!

Following is the authentic moving picture biography (with the new recorded sound sensation) of the early life and times of unknown WW1 aviator Percy Bounder. Only a penny's admission (for non-members) and guaranteed satisfaction. Crank it up Lou!

#4493288 - 10/17/19 12:52 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Oh my!!!

I think I'm developing a fever or is it the effect that sporting girl is having on me!!
What a fine piece .... of... um... uh...film work!

Spiffo!

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 10/17/19 12:53 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Page 29 of 33 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32 33