Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4492553 - 10/12/19 01:10 AM Re: EAW and Win 10 [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Well, let me go onto the Win 10 computer, access the Win 7 drive, and see what happens. I'll report back. Let's see what happens.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4492556 - 10/12/19 01:46 AM Re: EAW and Win 10 [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkEAW
I'm confused.

It almost sounds as if your launching EAW in win10 off a win7 drive. This does not equal a win7 launch since Win10 is loaded, Win7 OS on your 2nd drive is just a casualty,.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding you and all your posts about this. IDK.

Well, turns out your question led to some interesting events. I just went to Win 10 computer, fired it up, selected Win 7 Slave drive, and played a few minutes of EAWPRO and Crimson Skies. Now, this is nothing unusual for me, except that the version of Crimson Skies selected was "Widescreen" version (with all the fixes and patches), and displayed all the video features NOT being accessible on a pure Win 7 machine. In short, the Win 7 slave drive was definitely playing through my modern GFx card--There's no other Gfx card in the Win 10 machine.

Both of those games are NOCD versions, FWIW. I don't know what might happen if I needed to insert a CD to play a particular game. Might be interesting to find out.

But, so far, it seems as though the complete Win 7 Slave drive--and by that I mean the Win 7 Opsys and everything else on the original Win 7 Drive-- acts like an independent machine, although it definitely used the Gfx card installed on the same computer. I don't have any sort of virtual machine functions enabled.

Now, I'm a bit confused as well. The Win 10 drive (2 Tb SSD) was set as "Master", and the Win 7 drive (2 Tb SSD) was set as "Slave". I start the computer (in Win 10), go to "this computer", access the Win 7 drive, and select a game to play that is stored in that particular drive. It plays. As originally desired, the Win 7 drive acts just like an independent drive/machine. The computer had plenty of resources to allow this to work. Plenty of RAM (32 GB), Ssds, and a pretty good Gfx card with plenty of internal RAM.

Maybe this is something of note. A way for users of older machines with loads of games on them, using older OpSys's, to fully copy their old drive, and use them in a newer machine with all the benefits the newer machine can give them. This is what I was hoping to achieve. Maybe I found it, and if so, it is so simple to do, as long as one has a reasonably modern computer, with sufficient resources to allow such.

No expert, but I told my computer guy what I wanted. I reckon setting Win 10 drive to Master, and complete Win 7 drive to Slave might be the key. Of course, both machines were x64 versions, and that might make a difference, I dunno.

To sum up, I can go onto Win 7 Slave drive, and play the NOCD games I mentioned. If a CD is required, can't say right now, but will investigate. If the set-up works with CDs that are required to be installed in the CD player, using the Win 7 Slave drive, then it might be something useful. Very Useful, indeed.

If it works, this might be a way for people to copy their old drives onto newer ones, and still have access to the games there, running on their accustomed Opsys's, while running on a much newer machine, and making the most of all the resources that the newer machine offers, including modern Gfx cards.

Wouldn't that be a nice thing?

Last edited by RIBob; 10/12/19 02:08 AM.
#4492558 - 10/12/19 02:04 AM Re: EAW and Win 10 [Re: rwatson]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

It sounds like your booting into win10 and running a game off the 2nd drive. Thats all, nothing to do with win7 other than its on the 2nd drive in operatpable state.

You could copy your games to a new folder on the 2nd drive out of the win7 paths, and delete win7 altogether since your not using it.

Thats if I'm understanding you correctly that the win7 is just sitting on the 2nd drive and you never boot into it. (other than booting into win10 and useing file exploerer to view it.)

Upto you what you want to do of course. I'm just saying you dont need win7 sitting on the 2nd drive if you dont boot into it.

#4492561 - 10/12/19 02:21 AM Re: EAW and Win 10 [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Mark, I have playable games on the Slave Win 7 drive that I've never installed into the Win 10 system. AFAIK, many of the games on the Win 7 drive won't play on Win 10.

I'm confused, too. That said, the [/I]complete[/I] Win 7 drive seems to act as an independent drive, although playing through the installed Gfx card, and probably accessing other computer resources as required/allowed by the overall Win 10 OpSys. No mistaking that the Slave Win 7 drive used the modern Gfx card. None whatsoever.

I must go through the basic Win 10 boot system to access the Win 7 Drive, as mentioned above. I am at a loss as to what's going on, but I can say, as a preliminary report, that the complete Win 7 drive , and all its' games seems to be alive and well.

OK, and ETA, just played a bit of Jane's WW II Fighters on the Win 7 drive, after installing the requested CD into the CD player. Did NOT install the game; it was already on the Win 7 drive. Worked perfectly. This is a game I never installed into the Win 10 machine.

Last edited by RIBob; 10/12/19 03:12 AM.
#4492583 - 10/12/19 10:32 AM Re: EAW and Win 10 [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Only situation i know of to use two OS's is set up a dual boot..I've done it in the past with older Win versions.I think if you boot into Win 10 that's your running OS..Naturally it will run the games on the slave drive Especially older ones because they aren't heavily registry dependent at the install.Best way would be to go to the control panel and under system view the status of the machine and see whqat OS is in command..

Russ
Semper Fi
#4492705 - 10/13/19 02:16 AM Re: EAW and Win 10 [Re: rwatson]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Yeah. Check which version of windows your using. Like Russ mentions.

The games you mention are installed in Win7, but there not using it to run. There using the OS you booted in, Win10. If if there not installed, win10 can run most if not all of them. It may even add in the registry some entries once you run a game.

To save yourself headaches in the future I suggest you move or copy your games out of the so called win7 install and place them else where on the 2nd drive, then cleaning see if you can get rid of win7.

But if your boot menu has win7 as an option then IDK, you may want to keep it.

All upto you. I just think your picturing the win7 as something thats helping you when its really not.

#4492790 - 10/13/19 11:37 PM Re: EAW and Win 10 [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I'll have to look into this. I admit my ignorance on the situation, that's for sure.

Will report back when I have more info.

FWIW, tried to play BoB II last night, using Win 7 drive on Win 10 machine, and it didn't work. Will need to confirm it still works on native Win 7 machine, and go from there.

#4492832 - 10/14/19 10:52 AM Re: EAW and Win 10 [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Bob If you want to run win 7 and 10 do a search on setting up a dual boot win 10/7 dual boot setup it's not hard to do and works well,,I did an XP/7 one years ago

Russ
Semper Fi
#4493551 - 10/18/19 11:58 PM Re: EAW and Win 10 [Re: rwatson]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by rwatson
Bob If you want to run win 7 and 10 do a search on setting up a dual boot win 10/7 dual boot setup it's not hard to do and works well,,I did an XP/7 one years ago

Thanks, Russ. I'll look into it. The Win 10 computer certainly has enough RAM (32 Gb, upgradeable to 64 Gb) to do the job. I'll look into it. Tired now, but seem to recall some decent reason why this alternative was not optimal. Might be mistaken.

Much obliged for the suggestion. Will investigate.

#4498769 - 11/30/19 11:19 AM Re: EAW and Win 10 [Re: rwatson]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
I'm bumping this thread as a result of a related thread at CombatAce.

Can we please get back to basics with RiBob's problem.

RiBob smile
1. Can you install UAW160 part 1 on your Win 7 PC and get it to work using your own "eaw.ini" file?
You may have done so already.

2. What happens when you re-install it on your Win 10 PC, using your own "eaw.ini"?

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.