DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'

Dbond,
I assume he is referring to the hardware features that hardware developers came up with when computer rendering was in it's pre-teen years. When Glide and DX competed head to head on the latest hardware was truly an interesting time.

I was around through all of that, and frankly it's to my point. If there's a feature Crimson Skies had that say could only display on Voodoo cards, but he had a TNT card, then yes, it would not display said feature. But that's my point. The contemporary hardware could display whichever features he is referring to even if his hardware could not. The point RiBob was making, I assume, is that it requires modern cards, 20 years later, to actually get the full graphical goodness out of a game coded in 2000. And that is the point I was questioning. Again, I don't doubt the observation, just the conclusion.

I just read the post he made before that and while I don't really follow the points being made, one that stuck is that a GTX 730 can't do Crimson Skies justice, not just a Voodoo 5 or a TNT Ultra or whatever cards were around in 2000. After reading that post I think I'll just drop it.

Last edited by DBond; 10/08/19 06:53 PM.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4492104 - 10/08/19 10:54 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: DBond]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond
Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'

Dbond,
I assume he is referring to the hardware features that hardware developers came up with when computer rendering was in it's pre-teen years. When Glide and DX competed head to head on the latest hardware was truly an interesting time.

I was around through all of that, and frankly it's to my point. If there's a feature Crimson Skies had that say could only display on Voodoo cards, but he had a TNT card, then yes, it would not display said feature. But that's my point. The contemporary hardware could display whichever features he is referring to even if his hardware could not. The point RiBob was making, I assume, is that it requires modern cards, 20 years later, to actually get the full graphical goodness out of a game coded in 2000. And that is the point I was questioning. Again, I don't doubt the observation, just the conclusion.

I just read the post he made before that and while I don't really follow the points being made, one that stuck is that a GTX 730 can't do Crimson Skies justice, not just a Voodoo 5 or a TNT Ultra or whatever cards were around in 2000. After reading that post I think I'll just drop it.

Allow me to clarify things; perhaps there is some unintended confusion on my part.

With a very decent Win 7 computer, with all computer features FAR exceeding what was specified by the game mfr as minimum requirements, and running an Nvidia 730 Gfx card I could NOT access some important Gfx features of the Crimson Skies game until I installed the game into my Win 10 computer, using a a reasonably modern Nvidia 2060 Oc Pro Gfx card, along with some free patches which enabled the game to be run on Win 10 system. The same patches work on win 7 systems, IIRC, Search "Crimson Skies "Widescreen"" and you will find the mods/patches needed to run CS in full screen, native resolution, on your modern computer. I don't recall whether the older Nvidia 1030 Gfx card gave visual results I now see with modern Gfx card (Nvidia 2060), and the same can be said of the Nvidia 1050 Gfx card that the new Win 10 computer cane with. I uninstalled the 1050, and installed the 2060 without trying out the 1050.card. vis-à-vis Crimson Skies.

Now, Having said all the previous, the Crimson Skies Game currently allows access to graphics features heretofore not accessible, using the fairly modern Nvidia 2060 OC PRO Gfx card, whereas before, the Nvidia GT 730 GFX card did not allow such features to be available. That is a FACT; and regardless of the system on which the game is run (Win 7 vs Win 10).

Visually, the CS game, having all internal Gfx features being available, is night versus day. I was stunned at the visual difference, as the heretofore unavailable features come into play at every turn of the game play. There is NO comparison between the "usual" form of CS, and the fully enhanced version, played over a modern Gfx card which enables all in-game Gfx features. This difference is something that needs to be seen. I understand the reluctance on the part of some readers to believe my remarks. If you have got CS running on your system, and cannot activate ALL the Gfx options, then you have something to look into. For example, with 730 Gfx card, I would try to enable some Gfx features, within the game, and such choices would be refused by the game. The same choices were successful with the 2060 Gfx card.

I now play CS on Win 10, since it is easier to do, vice other alternatives open to me. After applying the proper patch, mentioned above, CS works perfectly in Win 10, with the exception that some trivial choice screens are located in the upper left of the monitor, and this peculiarity is mentioned in some of the downloading sites. Trivial, as I say, and not a problem. DO dial-up the GFX features, and Difficulty levels. It's not a bad sim at all.

The fundamental point is that One's old computer, or One's old Gfx card might be dis-allowing you some very useful Gfx features that a more modern computer or Gfx card will allow.

I don't say that one needs to buy a new computer; perhaps some intelligent upgrades to your existing computer might serve. I don't say that one needs to change Opsys, although that is open to debate.

What I do say, for a FACT, is that the ancient Crimson Skies game, played on a failrly modern computer/Gfx card, NEVER looked better, as long as all the latent features were finally enabled. I wonder what features other, similar, games might have unlocked using modern Gfx cards and modern computers.

Now, I know this an EAW forum, but my fundamental point is not about Crimson Skies, but is all about encouraging other EAW fans to upgrade their computers and gfx cards.

YMMV.

#4492109 - 10/08/19 11:43 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Hmm, I had CS on Win7 with a GTX 560 and it looked amazing. I used the user made win7 patch (or was it a visat patch) to get it run too.
Now I don't recall the in game graphics settings but I belive they where all enabled.

I havn't looked in years to see if any new user patches poped up, but based on what you (RIBob) your still useing the patch I found too.

Perhaps you can provide some Screenshots on your win10 / rtx2060 video card.
and at some point someone can provide win7 screen shots of the same game maxed out aswell. IDK.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the video control panel for the CS game wasn't used or updated when you ran it on win7. or perhaps the backward compatibility is improved more so on win10.

Either way I'm glad your happy that the game looks spectaculer and your happy with it., Its a great game to fool around with. Even the indian jones type music is cool.

#4492149 - 10/09/19 12:58 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
RIBob you just doubled down, and I think you're wrong, but honestly it does no good to debate it, and it's Crimson Skies for crying out loud. I'll just bow out and say I'm glad the game is looking good for you and you're enjoying it. Fair skies and tailwinds.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4492526 - 10/11/19 10:09 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: DBond]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond
RIBob you just doubled down, and I think you're wrong, but honestly it does no good to debate it, and it's Crimson Skies for crying out loud. I'll just bow out and say I'm glad the game is looking good for you and you're enjoying it. Fair skies and tailwinds.

I don't mean to sound contentious. Let's re-cap a bit, so that we all understand fully: I used Crimson Skies as an example of an older game which obtained some considerable and unexpected graphics benefits when played on a pretty good modern computer. The fundamental point to all this is that other games might show similar unexpected benefits from careful upgrading of various computer components; Might not, either. Depends on the game, and possibly the level of upgrade required to "unlock" some features.

The exact Gfx features inaccessible to the decent Win 7 machine are "LIGHTING QUALITY", and "SHADOWS". These selections can be accessed from Main Menu screen > "Preferences" > "Video". The Win 7 machine will not allow "Lighting Quality" to be selected at all. The "Shadows" feature can be selected, but does not seem to be applied, because when next accessing the "Video" screen options, it has been de-selected. In all events, all the other Gfx features are maxxed-out. On the Win 10 computer, OTOH, all Gfx menu selections can be selected, and at highest possible level. The result is FAR more visually pleasing (and far more realistic) than the game played on the Win 7 machine. To sum up: If upgrading one's computer "unlocks' some heretofore unavailable features on an old game like Crimson Skies, what possibilities might such upgrading unlock in other games?

But, don't take my word for it. See for yourself. There are free downloads of CS on the internet for those who do not already have a copy. Try to download V1.02 version, which incorporates the MANDATORY, official, V1.02 patch for the game. If your CD is dated "2000" then it probably lacks the V1.02 patch; if it is dated "2000-2003" the V1.02 patch is probably included on the disk . Install the game, and make sure to run the patch.

This site: https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=69314 has 3 things of interest:

1) The official V 1.02 Patch
2) The Crimson Skies "Fix' (CSFix) that allows the game to run on more modern computers.
3) The "Widescreen" patch that allows the native resolution of one's monitor to be used, AND which also contains the "CSFix patch.

This site https://blackjackshangar.blogspot.com/2015/08/crimson-skies-in-windows-10.html has some visual depictions, as well as 2 downloads of interest:

1) A V1.02 COCD version of the game.(I have some hesitation about this; caution suggested)
2) The HD video "fix" for the game. Provides suggestions for CSFix and DGVoodoo methods; from WSGF site.

There are instructions at both of the sites linked above. Download sites for the base game abound, but most are silent on which version of the game they offer (V1.0 vs V1.02). I suggest assuming the first version, and so applying the V1.02 patch as a matter of course.

So, try it for yourself, and see for yourself. You have all the tools necessary to make your own evaluation. Please note that some others have successfully made this transition, and are now playing the game in Win 10, and presumably earlier versions of Windows which were not originally suitable for Crimson Skies. Whether or not your computer ensemble is capable of "accessing" the abovementioned features, well, that remains to be "seen" as it were. If you are so inclined, please report back on whether or not you were able to access the features under discussion. I suspect the Gfx card has the most to do with accessing the "features' discussed here.

Last edited by RIBob; 10/11/19 11:01 PM.
#4492528 - 10/11/19 10:20 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
It may be more appropriate to make a Crimson Skies and Win10 thread. The focus of EAW and Win10 is getting diluted.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4492529 - 10/11/19 10:28 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkEAW
Hmm, I had CS on Win7 with a GTX 560 and it looked amazing. I used the user made win7 patch (or was it a visat patch) to get it run too.
Now I don't recall the in game graphics settings but I belive they where all enabled.

I havn't looked in years to see if any new user patches poped up, but based on what you (RIBob) your still useing the patch I found too.

Perhaps you can provide some Screenshots on your win10 / rtx2060 video card.
and at some point someone can provide win7 screen shots of the same game maxed out aswell. IDK.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the video control panel for the CS game wasn't used or updated when you ran it on win7. or perhaps the backward compatibility is improved more so on win10.

Either way I'm glad your happy that the game looks spectaculer and your happy with it., Its a great game to fool around with. Even the indian jones type music is cool.

Mark, the earliest dates I've seen, going through all the links provided below is 2015. So, your experiences, if they occurred earlier, may not be with the patches/fixes that I've come across.

I have applied the "Widescreen" (all-inclusive) patch to my V1.02 CS games, both on Win 10 and Win 7 machines. The formerly unavailable features only show up on the Win 10 machine-- I am guessing that is due to the Gfx card, but might be wrong.

Will look into posting a screen shot.

ETA: Better than a screen shot, this video appears to show that the "Shadows" feature, at least, is enabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQuHVxlG1Pc

The same series of Crimson Skies vids on youtube also appears to display the same enablement of the feature(s) under discussion.

Last edited by RIBob; 10/12/19 08:24 PM.
#4492536 - 10/11/19 11:12 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: oldgrognard]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
It may be more appropriate to make a Crimson Skies and Win10 thread. The focus of EAW and Win10 is getting diluted.

That's OK by me. I think my primary point (using CS as an example) that seriously upgrading one's computer might have unexpected advantages, has been made clearly enough. I believe that a considerable number players of older games, such as EAW, might benefit considerably from updating their (presumably) older and less-capable machines. That said, I think this topic, has a direct bearing on many EAW users, and players of similar, older games.

But, if you think the thread belongs elsewhere, I have no objection to moving it. It will be a pity to lose the feedback from people trying to see if their computers will access the features mentioned above, though.

#4492541 - 10/11/19 11:22 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
No need to move it. As you said you were making a valid point. It can certainly remain as is.

But it is turning into something else than EAW.

I just suggest that a separate thread about Crimson Skies might be appropriate. Maybe in the Air Combat - General forum.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4492543 - 10/11/19 11:32 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: oldgrognard]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
No need to move it. As you said you were making a valid point. It can certainly remain as is.

But it is turning into something else than EAW.

I just suggest that a separate thread about Crimson Skies might be appropriate. Maybe in the Air Combat - General forum.

OK, I will make a separate thread in the forum you suggest, using an adapted version of one of my posts above.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.