Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4491961 - 10/07/19 10:30 PM Rambo: Last Blood  
JCathcart Offline
JCathcart  Offline

Utah
I loved First Blood, liked Rambo II, tolerated Rambo III and missed 4 altogether, although I heard it was actually pretty good. I had hoped Last Blood would bring a satisfying end to the saga.

Mild spoilers ahead...but, who cares?

What a disaster. The first 45 minutes is slow and plodding, introducing us to characters I didn't care about because there is almost no explanation about who they are or where they come from. Rambo has a niece. His brother's daughter? Sister's? Who knows? There's a woman living in his house, but I wasn't sure who she was. Housekeeper? Niece's guardian? No idea. The Niece's father is a horrible man who we think will play a significant role in the film, but...no. His story arc is gone as soon as we meet him.

My biggest beef with this film is that it's not a Rambo movie. John could have been any Stallone/Schwarzenegger ex-Spec Ops action star. They could have called this movie Cobra II and it wouldn't have mattered. There was absolutely no tie-in to previous movies at all until the final credit roll. I would have loved to see him re-visit the Pacific NW to visit an old friend and find himself enlisted by the local police to hunt down a younger version of his original character: Some young buck who recently returned from Afghanistan or something. Or maybe he receives a visit from his former colonel's son, who needs his help on a mission of his own...ANYTHING to show us that this is part of the same story.

The last 55 minutes are much more fun, but holy cow, the graphic violence is amped up to 11. It's somewhat satisfying in a scummy bad guys get what's coming to them kind of way, but DO NOT BRING YOUR KIDS thinking it's like the first film. My 13-year-old son liked First Blood and it led to a meaningful conversation about the Vietnam War and PTSD, but he will NOT be seeing this one for a while, if ever.

I'm not one of these guys who needs academy award-winning entertainment in my films. In fact, I can't stand most award-winning films, but I do want a little thought into character development and scripting in my action flicks. The dialogue in this movie is so cheesy, it could have been a Rambo parody if it were funny at all.

And the ending? There isn't one...not really. It's like the worst Monty Python sketch. Those lads from London knew how to start hilarious sketches, but they almost never knew how to end them, so they would sometimes just shoot someone.

Sly, I like you dude. You seem like a great guy and many of your films have been a blast to watch, but no more Rambo please. It's time to retire him and let him rest in peace. He's earned it.

Last edited by JCathcart; 10/07/19 10:33 PM.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." -- Ephesians 6: 12-13 KJV
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4491968 - 10/08/19 12:16 AM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
First Blood was the only one i can rewatch, zero interest in seeing the latest one after seeing the original preview.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4491991 - 10/08/19 06:47 AM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I find it bizarre that Stallone, in his 70s now, is still making ego shooters starring himself. Fist Blood was one thing, but the follow-ons were just ego shooters designed to raise whoops from testosterone-fueled audiences IMO. Apologies to anyone who likes this stuff but it's not for me.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4492003 - 10/08/19 09:36 AM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I really enjoy First Blood. Good movie. I've never seen II or III. I did see Rambo IV a long time ago but I remember liking it. I liked Rambo trying to help the Christian missionaries and the redemption aspects to the movie and as I recall, that movie likewise had over the top violence but the bad guys are real nasty and have it coming.

I'm disappointed to hear the last one isn't sounding that good. I was mildly excited about it but now hearing your review not so much. I find it a real shame too. There's a really good and poignant story that could have been told to send John Rambo off on a worthy note. From what you say its sounds bad. That's too bad because most of the Rocky movies are excellent and also have great, underdog, redemption themes. I like your idea JCathcart. They should have brought things full circle and in the spirit of the first one, perhaps returning Rambo to the PNW as that environment is a recognizable character to First Blood fans. They should have brought him back to the same location and done something really clever with the writing and bring us a solid story. Imagine the trepidation or awkwardness that a well written script could have created having Rambo walk on foot back into the same town all these years later. Then maybe the story takes us into a neighboring town that he eventually burns to the ground in one last sacrificial act to rescue someone or dispatch some real bad guys. And then maybe its here in this town that ol' John Rambo gives his all and now the old warrior can go to his rest.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4492006 - 10/08/19 10:05 AM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Yes, really loved the original film, didn't like the sequels, but must admit I really liked Rambo IV... not sure if I will go to see the new one though.

#4492009 - 10/08/19 10:27 AM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: DM]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DM
I find it bizarre that Stallone, in his 70s now, is still making ego shooters starring himself. Fist Blood was one thing, but the follow-ons were just ego shooters designed to raise whoops from testosterone-fueled audiences IMO. Apologies to anyone who likes this stuff but it's not for me.

I have no clue about this personal financial situation but for all we know, he's doing these films simply to pay the bills.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4492011 - 10/08/19 10:33 AM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Good review by the way JCathcart!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4492081 - 10/08/19 07:51 PM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

"First Blood" was good...right up until Rambo decided to "take the fight to the enemy". His treatment at the hands of the sheriff and his deputies was (movie) realistic given the time in which it was set. His E&E was both pretty much spot on given his training and a nice commentary on what the average infantry-trained soldier found himself facing in Viet Nam. But Rambo's training would have told him to get the Hell out of Dodge once the townies believed he was dead, NOT go back in and shoot the place up. Although I watched all of the first four movies, the first half of the first movie and the ending of the fourth, where he walks onto the family farm looking very much like he did when Brian Dennehey pulled up next to him so many years before, were the only parts I really liked. But I will admit to having fun watching the action sequences, as ridiculously "Hollywood" as they were.

I will probably watch the current one...when I get a free HBO weekend. I see no reason to spend any money on it whatsoever.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4492084 - 10/08/19 08:16 PM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I got so mad watching the first one and caught some of The second,,when he got the POWS and said Your're going home" touched me deeply..Phony as hell but It was good

Russ
Semper Fi
#4492105 - 10/08/19 10:55 PM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: vonBaur]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by vonBaur
"First Blood" was good...right up until Rambo decided to "take the fight to the enemy". His treatment at the hands of the sheriff and his deputies was (movie) realistic given the time in which it was set. His E&E was both pretty much spot on given his training and a nice commentary on what the average infantry-trained soldier found himself facing in Viet Nam. But Rambo's training would have told him to get the Hell out of Dodge once the townies believed he was dead, NOT go back in and shoot the place up. Although I watched all of the first four movies, the first half of the first movie and the ending of the fourth, where he walks onto the family farm looking very much like he did when Brian Dennehey pulled up next to him so many years before, were the only parts I really liked. But I will admit to having fun watching the action sequences, as ridiculously "Hollywood" as they were.

I will probably watch the current one...when I get a free HBO weekend. I see no reason to spend any money on it whatsoever.

The book which the first movie was based off of was quite a bit different from what I remember, Rambo dies at the end of one thing.

I can't recall the reasoning for Rambo's going back into town, but it must be said that the Canadian born author was not a military man and had to rely on other's experience when it came to Vietnam and the military.

#4492141 - 10/09/19 11:21 AM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
First of all, I must say that I haven't seen this last Rambo movie (Last Blood).

Secondly, I fully agree with others above, the first Rambo movie (First Blood) was the best of them all and by far!
And Rambo IV was IMO the second best of them also by far when compared to the other two Rambo movies. I really liked/enjoyed Rambo IV, I was quite surprised (positively) by this movie specially after Rambo II and III.

Third, and speaking of Rambo II and III these were UTTER CRAP! I don't have anything positive to say about Rambo II while the only positive thing about Rambo III was that it served as an inspiration for one of the funniest movies that I ever saw: Hot Shots 2 biggrin

#4492142 - 10/09/19 11:30 AM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Both “Hot Shots” movies were hilarious. They bring back fond memories of my high school and college years.

#4492146 - 10/09/19 12:35 PM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
"My biggest beef with this film is that it's not a Rambo movie. John could have been any Stallone/Schwarzenegger ex-Spec Ops action star"

Exactly my thoughts on Last Blood. I also thought Rambo had way too many lines. I'd say it was OK. No1 and No4 are my favourites.

#4492211 - 10/09/19 08:11 PM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

My favorite part of the "Hot Shots" movies was the scene in the second in which Charlie Sheen's character is in the boat writing in his journal. Another voice enters his narration and slowly gets louder until he notices it and looks for its source. He sees another fast boat approaching from the opposite direction. As it gets closer you recognize Martin Sheen dressed like he was in "Apocalypse Now". As the two boats pass the two men look at each other and say "Loved you in 'Wall Street."

Second favorite is the same movie, same boat where the younger Sheen is firing the mounted M-60 in an impossibly sustained burst as he is engulfed by a slowly growing pyramid of empty casings.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4492250 - 10/10/19 03:26 AM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
I can understand why Rambo Last Blood would not be very good as Rambo by this time would be a grandpa

[Linked Image]

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4492380 - 10/10/19 10:25 PM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: JCathcart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Ah, dammit.

The reason most of us liked First Blood and didn't like any of the Rambo movies too much was that John Rambo was very damaged goods. Yes, he had combat skills, but was completely absorbed by PTSD that he couldn't relate to civilian life in the slightest.

I was really hoping for a return to a coping John Rambo in late life, and, as suggested before, helping an Iraq/Afghanistan/Africa* veteran who has gone off the rails a bit. Maybe a useful to the plot nephew?

* I mention Africa because the soldiers fighting ISIS and their ilk all over the continent, from Nigeria to Somalia, get zero mention in the media, and most folks are unaware we're humping rucks there.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4493596 - 10/19/19 12:35 PM Re: Rambo: Last Blood [Re: vonBaur]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by vonBaur
My favorite part of the "Hot Shots" movies was the scene in the second in which Charlie Sheen's character is in the boat writing in his journal. Another voice enters his narration and slowly gets louder until he notices it and looks for its source. He sees another fast boat approaching from the opposite direction. As it gets closer you recognize Martin Sheen dressed like he was in "Apocalypse Now". As the two boats pass the two men look at each other and say "Loved you in 'Wall Street."

Second favorite is the same movie, same boat where the younger Sheen is firing the mounted M-60 in an impossibly sustained burst as he is engulfed by a slowly growing pyramid of empty casings.

Both Hot Shot movies are basically continuous strings of hilarious scenes and quotes. Cutting the fence into the compound, just to have it fall down and leaving him with the cutout in his hands. Lloyd Bridges as the President being hilarious all the time. Jumping out of the plane, going «Geronimo! Geronimo!» then Geronimo himself jumps, shooting «Me!» The only movie to be equally full of quotable lines and scenes in my opinion is Guy Ritchie’s «Snatch.»

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.