Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4491987 - 10/08/19 06:11 AM Old folks and old tricks  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
Always enjoyed when my grandparents would share tricks on how life was managed and improved back then with small and simple little habits.

For instance, they would always have an old rusty nail at the bottom of the drinking-water bottle ! Iron is good for health, isn’t it?
They all lived well into their mid-90s winkngrin

Anything from your side?

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4492002 - 10/08/19 09:17 AM Re: Old folks and old tricks [Re: Sluggish Controls]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
My maternal Grandmother would use a cleft stick to collect cobwebs to apply to cuts and grazes. She was known in her locality in East Ham London for piercing ears with a needle set in a cork, driven through the lobe into a bar of soap held on the other side of the ear which would give some antiseptic effect i suppose. Her handbag contained a small bottle of Martell brandy for 'medicinal purposes' and half a house brick in case of attack.

During air raids in 1941 she would sit under the stairs with a jam-making pan stuffed with a cushion on her head for protection, eschewing the dampness of the Anderson Shelter in the garden and avoiding the Public Shelters as there would inevitably be a neighbour there she was feuding with.

She also advised not to touch an electrical plug for a few minutes after unplugging so the electricity would have time to drain out.

#4492013 - 10/08/19 10:40 AM Re: Old folks and old tricks [Re: Sluggish Controls]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Sluggish Controls

They all lived well into their mid-90s winkngrin

Cheers,
Slug

Good genetics.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4492129 - 10/09/19 06:44 AM Re: Old folks and old tricks [Re: Sluggish Controls]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
My Grandparents all died in their sixties or early seventies. I remember them all as old people even though I am 74 myself now. They had hard lives, working-class people with little of anything.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4493089 - 10/16/19 12:15 AM Re: Old folks and old tricks [Re: BD-123]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Originally Posted by BD-123
My maternal Grandmother would use a cleft stick to collect cobwebs to apply to cuts and grazes. She was known in her locality in East Ham London for piercing ears with a needle set in a cork, driven through the lobe into a bar of soap held on the other side of the ear which would give some antiseptic effect i suppose. Her handbag contained a small bottle of Martell brandy for 'medicinal purposes' and half a house brick in case of attack.

During air raids in 1941 she would sit under the stairs with a jam-making pan stuffed with a cushion on her head for protection, eschewing the dampness of the Anderson Shelter in the garden and avoiding the Public Shelters as there would inevitably be a neighbour there she was feuding with.

She also advised not to touch an electrical plug for a few minutes after unplugging so the electricity would have time to drain out.

Years ago, my best friend in High School related to me a story, or rather I considered it a story at the time; that his Uncle who was young at the tell, had while washing a sink full of Dishes apparently with all the knives under the mess and cut off his Thumb at the first knuckle. As a teen this is a "i once knew a guy.." kind of story. He went on to say his Grandma, took cobwebs, turpentine and some thread or tape and attached his thumb..and supposedly it took.. but of course it was no longer bendable (like no doubt). Okay Yeah, right
Years later after high school I meet the dude he's older than us but not by much, he shows me his thumb an tells the same story and I had almost forgotten it. it looked really weird and didn't bend but he still had a thumb. I kid you not.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4493252 - 10/17/19 12:44 AM Re: Old folks and old tricks [Re: Mad Max]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted by Mad Max
My Grandparents all died in their sixties or early seventies. I remember them all as old people even though I am 74 myself now. They had hard lives, working-class people with little of anything.

I remember my Nan telling me when i was 10, she was mid 60's, that she still felt early 20's in her head but that her body was just old. Made me look at old people in a totally different way from then on.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4493254 - 10/17/19 01:02 AM Re: Old folks and old tricks [Re: Sluggish Controls]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Older men would take a rag soaked with turpentine and rub down machinery exposed to the elements. The paraffin in it left a protective coating.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4493272 - 10/17/19 11:14 AM Re: Old folks and old tricks [Re: Ajay]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by Ajay
Originally Posted by Mad Max

I remember my Nan telling me when i was 10, she was mid 60's, that she still felt early 20's in her head but that her body was just old. Made me look at old people in a totally different way from then on.

On a side note. My paternal g'mother kept bugging me for a ride on my motorcycle. She always wore a drees. Told her she had to put on slacks to get a ride. I gave in when she said no more goodies for you if she didn't get a ride, so gave her a ride around the block. She was the talk of the neighbourhood. She was 78. She died at 94.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4493909 - 10/21/19 02:54 PM Re: Old folks and old tricks [Re: oldgrognard]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Older men would take a rag soaked with turpentine and rub down machinery exposed to the elements. The paraffin in it left a protective coating.

The turpentine trick still works. It's just harder to get turpentine now.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.