Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 33 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 32 33
#4491878 - 10/07/19 02:37 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Nice to see some AAR's. There's over 40 fine improvements coming in V1.19 much of that you see will change with improvements.
Lima speak to Blade_meister please re V1.19. or send me your email address to support.

Last edited by Polovski; 10/07/19 02:37 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4491897 - 10/07/19 03:49 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Really good write up Lima and I'd love the points you've made to hopefully be incorporated into WOTR

" The later illustrates something that really does call for improvement, namely the aircraft shoot-down animation. As often in WoFF, aircraft fall like they've tripped up, pitching sharply nose down and instantly disgorging parachutes, which fall like stones. The planes fall like shot birds, that have suddenly lost all lift. And the chutes pop way too quickly."

Absolutely with you there mate,couldn't agree more. Hopefully 1.19 is a big step in the future of WOTR.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4491898 - 10/07/19 04:03 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted by Polovski
Nice to see some AAR's. There's over 40 fine improvements coming in V1.19 much of that you see will change with improvements.
Lima speak to Blade_meister please re V1.19. or send me your email address to support.

Thanks Pol, checking out the FAQ for the info to send re support, re that performance hiccup issue. Have already been corresponding with Blade with his own project and on details like radio voice procedure, formations and markings.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4491921 - 10/07/19 05:44 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

We have recently added better death physics not in the current 1.19 test though. There are some performance improvements in 1.19. We need more support to make WOTR better.

We do need some balance and people point out some of the cool things instead too though.

Hurricane's catching up is because they are two separate flights, also changed in 1.19 see the what is coming for the fix list (plus more).

Obviously every siim or game on the planet you can pull apart at some level, I have seem many triple A games with serious bugs (weird physics flipping vehicles in Insurgency Sandstorm for example, been there for months for example) nothing is perfect.
There are very few flight sims around these days as there is a colossal demand on all aspects of them to be perfect, and it's pretty much impossible to achieve.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4491944 - 10/07/19 08:37 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by Polovski
We do need some balance and people point out some of the cool things instead too though.

There are very few flight sims around these days as there is a colossal demand on all aspects of them to be perfect, and it's pretty much impossible to achieve.

Your right Pol,id like to say that the sounds,cockpits,skins..scenery among many other things are excellent. I also know of other titles not just sims that release expensive DLC whilst the main "game" is still heavily bugged/broken.

I think sometimes "negatives" are mentioned before positives because (Personnally speaking) i/we hope you guys see the posts and act accordingly. I get that that may come across has selfish,and for my part it actually is selfish,but I'm at least trying to be honest with my comment mate. It's kind of like "If you don't ask you don't get" sort of thing.

I hope that more and more get into WOTR and support continues,hopefully then we as customers and you guys has developers can continue to push this great sim forwards. Fwiw I don't regret a single penny spent..I've had my money's worth and then some and I'm still continuing to enjoy immensely. 29.99 pfft I've spent more than that on the p@$$ with the work lads. It's a steal at this price

All the best going forwards to you,WM the testers and skinners. cheers

We will remember them.
#4491975 - 10/08/19 02:43 AM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Agree 100% Adger. As the old saying goes, a Combat Flight Sim is never done. I just have to say that I am Blessed(thankful) to be a tester and have really been given an opportunity to see what these two, yes count them, TWO Developers(OBD) of WOTR and WOFF are capable of. Not everything is possible, but I will say that 90% of what is observed and reported as a needed fix in WOTR gets attention. And I mean pronto, these guys are on it, if nothing else to at least check it out and see what is possible, or they just fix it. Sometimes the answer is no, or we intend to do that, but it is going to be X amount of months from now in our future goals. One of the incredible things is if we report something which was observed that is not on the Change Log, say a tester sees something that is killing immersion and have a suggestion on how to make the immersion better, these guys will take it and run with it and pop out a revised version of the test patch quickly and there it is, functioning and ready to go. I have experienced this several times and it amazes me to no end how they just incorporate ideas(engineer a way to code it) or simply fix issues in WOTR. Anyway, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes(think 2 little guys behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz pulling the levers) that is quite amazing and reveals the True Passion that both Marks and the main skinner Robert have for WOTR. If that is not enough, they are keeping WOTR going while they were producing WOFF PE at the same time. Yes the main focus was on WOFF PE, but we still had patches in WOTR at the same time. The other amazing thing is that Mark(Pol) is gathering people to source the facts of the BOB and equipment used, procedures used, organizations of air forces in the Battle and even Comms procedures for possibly upgrading WOTR in the future. No promises there, but it is good to know that OBD's has a vision for WOTR. These Gents are looking at and paying attention to WOTR from many angles and from what I sense, have a wide scope, are ambitious and have big plans for WOTR. Anyone who doesn't try either WOFF UE/PE or WOTR doesn't know what they are missing, and for 29.99 any of them are a steal.
THINGS I LIKE IN WOTR: no particular order
1. The modelling on each of the three playable aircraft. The attention to detail. These guys are still refining the models to make them more and more accurate just because they know they want it better. Beside the slats on the 109, no one has asked for most of the refinements they have made for the Hurricane lately. They just did it, and she looks even better now. I wonder if the Spitfire is going to get some Heated exchange winkngrin in attention to detail going forward? yep ???
2. The cockpits are rendered very nicely. The shadows in cockpit are awesome.
3. The Clouds and weather, 90% of the time best in the business IMHO.
4. I really like the landscapes, the distance you can see and how far out the trees and buildings go.
5. Sounds, the idle sounds and backfires, arh arh arh! again best in the business IMHO. Coming in to land is an audio joy. Those that quit the mission early, you are missing these.
6. The AI, 90 % of the time best in the business. Sometimes a little quirky but heads above the rest right now.
7. In Campaign UI and all of the reports and data available plus the story line of the Squad pilots being logged and used real time in the Campaign as you have losses, replacements, reserve pilots, leave, in hospital time, auxiliary aircraft, lost aircraft, amount of time for repairs.
8. The number of Squads available, number of Aerodromes
9. The attrition of the Campaign and being sent West or North to rest a Squad.
10. The feel of actually flying and fighting in each of the 3 Aircraft are distinctly different. Never flown the real ones but this just feels good to fight in. The takeoffs & landings, well they are pretty straight forward, pretty basic, but then they account for like 5% of the total Campaign experience.
There are GOOD things in 1.19, trust me. Just wanted to share a little glimpse that I see that REALLY ENCOURAGES me that Mark and Mark and Robert are doing what they are doing because they want WOTR, and WOFF for that matter, to be the best, as Historical as Possible and as immersive as they can possibly make it in each Sim going forward. Constructive critiquing is good or nothing would change or be improved in either of these Sims as they move forward. We each just need to remember that each of us have things that we know and Love about WOFF and WOTR right now or we wouldn't be here. I encourage all here to remember the goodness and fun that WOFF and WOTR already possess because a little pat on the back for what Mark & Mark & Robert have already accomplished is in order from time to time. Not to often, we don't want any of them to get the Big Head! nope I know I am over due to let them know that I appreciate that WOFF & WOTR are and that they are my number one go to Sims, if I am not testing or writing an endless AAR or in the P38!(sorry, the P38 is awesome, you have to admit!). Thanks OBD and all that are involved to help WOFF & WOTR move forward and get even better than they already are. winkngrin

Blah, Blah, Blah, Adger, it is all of your fault, you got me going! cuss

S!Blade<>< --->Out! Check6 :-)

P.S. Pol don't let WM read this, he will think it is long winded and bark at me for it. rolleyes
Pol, 33lima is setup and good to go.

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 10/08/19 03:12 AM.
#4491994 - 10/08/19 07:35 AM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
17 SQN, July 1940

Tophat must think he's very amusing. B Flight is scrambled and the whole show ends up being a convoy patrol. Some of the chaps and I are thinking of driving over to High Wycombe at 3am and throwing rocks at his roof.

EDIT: Then he went and did it again! Twice! In one day! (Only this time some Stukas came along and I shot one into the drink.)

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 10/08/19 08:44 AM.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4492029 - 10/08/19 12:09 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted by Ace_Pilto
17 SQN, July 1940

Tophat must think he's very amusing. B Flight is scrambled and the whole show ends up being a convoy patrol. Some of the chaps and I are thinking of driving over to High Wycombe at 3am and throwing rocks at his roof.

EDIT: Then he went and did it again! Twice! In one day! (Only this time some Stukas came along and I shot one into the drink.)

Wouldn't do you much good visiting High Wycombe, old bean, that's Bomber Command HQ. smile Want to take your complaint to the top brass? This is where you need to go...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 33lima; 10/08/19 12:10 PM.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4492039 - 10/08/19 12:51 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Yes, of course it's Bentley Priory. My mistake.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4492050 - 10/08/19 01:44 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
By jove!... that Spit was low! Did anyone get that kites squadron code?

#4492082 - 10/08/19 07:52 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
SECOND CAMPAIGN MISSION

Well, it's actually my second, first campaign mission, as I'm now on the Beta of update1.19 - with full OBD permission; no Non-Disclosure Agreements were harmed during the making of this report. smile

So - same pilot, same start date (10 July), but different squadron, and a different aeroplane - the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I, with 92 Squadron. We're based at Hornchurch, a Sector (control) station in 11 Group, east of the Metropolis and north of the Thames Estuary. 'Ninety-two' was famously commanded by Roger Bushell, until he was shot down at Dunkirk, captured, and later murdered by the Gestapo for his role in 'The Great Escape'. Also captured at this time was Peter Cazenove, whose Spitfire P9374 was recently beautifully rebuilt to flying condition, after he belly-landed it on the Calais beach (not wheels down, as in that idiotic culmination to the flying sequences in a certain recent movie).

[Linked Image]

In update 1.19, as shown above, active pilots are now listed in their allocated 3-plane section, not merely by Flight assignment, and the sections are correctly colour-coded. And RAF squadrons now have a more historically-accurate strength, in both pilots and aircraft. Squadron Leaders (whether of that rank or not) generally flew in the Red 1 position, I believe.

I hit the wrong button in the screen above at some point and instead of accepting my proferred mission, I ended up with a similar one on the next day. It's a patrol over a shipping lane to the east, which I assume means over a convoy, otherwise there would be nothing much to patrol. Which turned out to be right.

[Linked Image]

Here I am leaving Hornchurch, which is nicely equipped with a variety of hangar types and has blast pens for its precious fighters, dispersed around the perimeter track, just as they should be. A very nice piece of work. Likewise my mount, which looks much the same as the carefully-restored P9374 does today. Complete with black and white halved undersurfaces, intended for quick recognition from below in the home defence role.

[Linked Image]

The underwing roundels were a late addition, for Spits operating over France to cover the Dunkirk withdrawal. Unlike the BoB2 and CloD Spitfires, WotR's one more correctly leaves off the IFF wires from fuselage roundels to tailplane tips. These were a late addition and rarely seen with the common TR9D HF radio (the superior VHF one apparently had its antenna in the mast, not running to the tip of the fin).

[Linked Image]

My kite is coded GR-P. Apparently, some time later in 1940, it was realised that 92 had kept its pre-war squadron ID letters and these were changed to QJ. Interestingly, this is the code on my companions, who also all have the recently-introduced Sky undersurfaces, with roundels. Trust me to end up flying the older kite - I could likely have swapped the skin before flying, and may do so, next trip. If I get as far as that!

[Linked Image]

I think WotR pilots fly with their oxygen masks permanently on. If it has to be one or the other, this is probably a better choice for the Battle of Britain than was made for BoB2, which it is said tried both in Beta, with 'no mask' winning the popular vote!

I have 1.19's closest formation option in effect and the boys are soon slipping into place behind me, as we climb steadily to the east, with the Thames Estuary to our right.

I turn on the labels just to see how they look, with this result. The stroke of a key cycles through other options, including a simple dot, with further adjustments possible in the Workshop settings page. The reflection on canopies is nicely-done, better than in CloD which seems to obliterate the canopy side framing.

[Linked Image]

Our Spits have the DH prop with its 'pointy' spinner and they have the correct, slender profile blades. These started as two-pitch units, fine or coarse, but were famously converted 'without a lot of paperwork and fuss' by De Havilland to constant speed operation, early in the Battle. Moelders flew a captured Spit without this modification and concluded it was nice to fly but 'as a fighting aircraft...it is miserable' largely because its engine was always under- or over-revving, in combat. He probably learned to sing a different tune after being wounded and forced to belly-land by a 41 Squadron Spit, on 28 July.

It's a beautiful summer day as we continue to climb, though there's a fair bit of cloud around.

I level off briefly at about 8,000 feet. I think the isthmus below and right is Canvey Island, and the one under my nose across the Estuary is the Isle of Grain. Nice to be able to pick out landmarks, and see the shadows of the clouds on the surface of the water.

[Linked Image]

A look down shows everything looking much as it should, in both senses of the term. I'm climbing again, playing around with the elevator trim, intending to take her up to about fifteen thousand.

[Linked Image]

I level off and throttle back, and the boys slide a little ahead until they correct fully.

[Linked Image]

The distinctive fork in the rivers behind me is between the Roach (to the left) and the Crouch (to the right). On my port wing is one of those gas warning panels, which were carried in some squadrons for a time. Personally I don't like them, but they seem popular at the moment with plastic and virtual model builders, and indeed with restorers.

[Linked Image]

IIRC triangular patrol areas are implemented in 1.19 and that's fine by me. Reaching the first point on ours, I turn right and begin the patrol.

[Linked Image]

You can see that my Spit has non-standard, small Type B roundels on the upper wing. Apparently, small roundels in this position were a left-over on some aircraft from the conversion of the pre-war red/white/blue/yellow roundels to low-viz blue and red. The Tamiya model of DW-O has these but not everybody thinks they got their sources right. Whoever painted the excellent full scale fiberglass 'gate guardian' of DW-O at Bentley Priory agrees with Tamiya.

Anyway, we've arrived. Question is, will any uninvited guests be joining today's party?

...to be continued!

Attached Files WotR - 119 roster 92 Sqn.jpgWotR - 119 -2nd campaign mission briefing - 92 Sqn.jpgShot10-08-19-00-05-06.jpgShot10-08-19-00-07-18.jpgShot10-08-19-00-13-33.jpgShot10-08-19-00-14-27.jpgShot10-08-19-00-15-39.jpgShot10-08-19-00-17-30.jpgShot10-08-19-00-20-12.jpgShot10-08-19-00-20-51.jpgShot10-08-19-00-14-31.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 10/08/19 08:34 PM.

#4492086 - 10/08/19 09:00 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Right! Let's see now...I'm at about 14,000 feet at the head of the squadron pack and am wondering if we've been sent out all this way to patrol an empty patch of the North Sea. It's a nice view, but as Nelson supposedly observed at Copenhagen, I see no ships.

[Linked Image]

Perhaps I should have saved petrol, fatigue and wear & tear by using the new update 1.19 option to put up either a full squadron of 12, or just a flight. No more of this A and B Flights operating semi-independently, and just so.

Aha! There they are. The jolly matelots are playing follow my leader, and happily, nothing bad seems to have happened to them. Yet.

[Linked Image]

Round and round we go. If you can be said to go round and round a trianglular flight path. The boys are keeping up nicely, anyhow. Reminds me of some of the nicer air-to-air sequences shot from the Yak-Spit in the Dunkirk movie, this shot. Apart from the fact we've got more Spitfires.

[Linked Image]

We keep losing sight of the convoy due to all those pesky clouds. If I drop below the cloudbase, I could keep them in view and catch any low-level raiders in time. But if I do that, a high level attack will catch us out. Decisions, decisions!

[Linked Image]

I compromse by losing a little height. Regular sightings of intact shipping keep me reasonably happy.

[Linked Image]

We're not too far from the coast, as you can see. No bad thing. Spits were said to like to take their pilots down with them in a ditching, with bailing out the recommended choice over water. Hopefully, not today.

[Linked Image]

Gaps in the clouds reveal our charges are still safe...

[Linked Image]

...and the boys are doing a grand job of keeping up with me.

[Linked Image]

Suddenly, I remember that a new feature in 1.19 is the ability to request what they call 'an RDF update' from your fighter controller. So that's what I do...

[Linked Image]

...and as if by magic, the answer comes back, telling me it's all clear and recommending I basically 'keep calm and carry on'. If there is some 'trade' for you, as well as a text and audio warning, apparently you get a Vector in the Tactical Display. Neat! Now, it can feel much more like you are really operating in a ground-controlled, integrated air defence system.

[Linked Image]

So keep calm and carry on is what I do...for a while, anyway...

To be continued!

Attached Files Shot10-08-19-00-21-02.jpgShot10-08-19-00-21-57.jpgShot10-08-19-00-22-29.jpgShot10-08-19-00-24-59.jpgShot10-08-19-00-25-56.jpgShot10-08-19-00-26-40.jpgShot10-08-19-00-28-27.jpgShot10-08-19-00-31-48.jpgShot10-08-19-00-37-28.jpgShot10-08-19-00-37-38.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 10/08/19 09:13 PM.

#4492118 - 10/09/19 02:05 AM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great stuff Lima,love your reports and knowledge of accuracy / history.

We will remember them.
#4492166 - 10/09/19 03:17 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Eventually, I run out of time and decide to go home. In real life, coastal convoys were covered during daylight by relays of fighters in flight or even section strength, re-inforced by others scrambed to intercept, if the Luftwaffe showed up. And I'd have got a rocket from the controller for abandoning my post before being relieved. But real real life is calling me, so home I go.

But first, I decide, I will put on a bit of a show for the sailors down below. So I chop the throttle and begin to spiral down towards them. I leave the Tactical Display turned on at just over 4 miles range, just in case.

The other boys seem a bit reluctant to come down with me, and descend rather slowly; they follow me rather better in turns. Perhaps I just need to remember I'm not on my own, but leading other fast aircraft all flying in these close 3-plane vics, and flown by average squadron pilots, not a display team.

[Linked Image]

Down we go. And it's a quite a long way down.

[Linked Image]

And here we go, with our little fly past! It's not exactly the Red Arrows, but there is a war on, after all.

[Linked Image]

I look up and get a bit cross when I see the others are not going so low. As it turns out, they seem to have more sense than their leader, who should have been paying more attention to where he was going. Which was, into the drink.

[Linked Image]

Looks like I'll be starting my third first campaign mission soon! I think I'll give 65 Squadron a go this time. Like 92 Squadron's Geoffrey Wellum ('First Light'), 65's exploits were recorded in a recent pilot biography, Aussie Gordon Olive's 'Spitfire Ace' and WotR includes a nicely-rendered skin of his kite:

[Linked Image]

Anyhow next time, I'll try harder to live to see my second sortie!

Attached Files Shot10-08-19-00-39-34.jpgShot10-08-19-00-40-27.jpgShot10-08-19-00-42-56.jpgShot10-08-19-00-44-06.jpgShot10-08-19-16-27-56.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 10/09/19 03:22 PM.

#4492581 - 10/12/19 10:29 AM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
NEW MONTH, NEW CAMPAIGN

This time, I've rolled forward my campaign start date to 1st August 1940, still in the initial 'Convoys' phase of the Battle but getting closer to Adler Tag and the beginning of the assault on the airfields.

I much enjoyed reading Aussie Olive Gordon's 'Spitfire Ace' so I've signed up my virtual pilot with his squadron, No. 65, and find we're based at Hornchurch. With update 1.19, we have an historical complement of pilots and aircraft (16 and 20) but I have squadron mission strength set to flight not full squadron, also new to 1.19, and which is actually the appropriate setting for patrol missions typical of the convoy phase. The RAF would not have mounted a standing patrol in squadron strength (as opposed to the sort of offensive patrols mounted over Dunkirk).

This works out well, because my first mission is a partol over a convoy. I have the 'Always lead' setting selected, I soon find myself climbing to the south out of Hornchurch with five other Spitfires. They really ought to wait for their leader to take off first, but the chaps are always keen as mustard.

Spits didn't take off with flaps and it was common to do so with the canopy open, so I do likewise. The group of more distant specks nearer the horizon on the left is actually a balloon barrage, not aircraft.

[Linked Image]

The shipping lane we're to patrol is in the eastern reaches of the Thames Estuary, so I turn left and climb in steps, easing off every so often, to help the boys keep up.

[Linked Image]

Soon, we're over the convoy at about 14,000 feet, with the ships visible between breaks in the cloud. You can see that my Spit has the A Scheme camouflage pattern and lacks the unsightly gas warning panel on the port wing, while the kite below has the mirror-image B Scheme and the panel, as well as the correct squadron ID letters and an individual aircraft letter.

[Linked Image]

We orbit for a while before I decide to call the Controller in the Sector Ops Room for information on any Bandits - another new feature for 1.19. This now really gives you the sense you're part of what today they would call an integrated air defence system, not flying blind. The Controller comes back with the dramatic news that there are Huns south of us, about 14 miles off. I sweep around in their general direction. But by the time I've spotted them, right and a bit lower, they're quite near the convoy. There's about four Huns that I can see and they're splitting up as if for an attack - whether on the ships or on us, I can't yet tell. I quickly order the boys to get stuck into them.

[Linked Image]

Chasing the nearest Hun myself, I can now see he's a bomber, his speed and stubby outline suggesting a Junkers 88. There's no sign of escorts, happily.

[Linked Image]

I cut the corner and the range winds down rapidly. We open fire about the same time, and each get hits. But I've got eight machine guns, and he can only shoot back with one at a time. Gordon Olive writes that Ju88s had a 'sting in the tail' of two .50 calibre MGs, but that's not right, and probably more a testament to the skill of German air gunners, who did a lot more damage than they're generally credited with.

[Linked Image]

Got him! The 88 begins to fall away, trailing a barely-perceptible streamer of pale smoke. He's still on a level keel and under control, though, so I'll need to have another crack at him. You can see he's an A-1 model, with the original shorter wingspan, the most common variant in the Battle. He also looks to have the authentic upper surface camouflage pattern, in 70 and 71 (Schwarzgrun and Dunkelgrun respectively).

[Linked Image]

Anyway, I have unfinished business with this Hun, and begin to position myself for another pass.

...to be continued!

Attached Files Shot10-11-19-23-40-32.jpgShot10-09-19-20-10-32.jpgShot10-12-19-00-02-29.jpgShot10-12-19-00-02-49.jpgShot10-12-19-00-03-07.jpgShot10-11-19-23-57-32.jpgShot10-12-19-00-03-33.jpg

#4492593 - 10/12/19 11:25 AM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I come around in a tight, descending, right-hand spiral after the Junkers. Which gives me a good view of the holes I've collected in my right wing and aileron. And also reveals that one of the boys - Blue 2, as it happens - is now going for my Hun!

[Linked Image]

And he gets him, too, the cheeky beggar! The two crew who bail out may be close enough the coast to be located and picked up.

[Linked Image]

There's still some trade to be had, though, and I waste no more time before curving in after another bomber.

[Linked Image]

The Hun levels out, possibly to give his gunners a better chance. Which works out well for him, because he hits me before I get a round off. Meanwhile, one of my section, Red 2, is announcing an attack of his own.

[Linked Image]

I break off my own firing pass leaving the Hun smoking. But what you can't see in the pic below is another Spit, out of shot to the left, about to make a pass.

[Linked Image]

Once again, I have to watch as somebody else finishes off my target! I suppose this is a team game, and we were all trained in those Fighting Area Attacks which incuded one in which we basically queued up behind a bomber and let him have it one after the other. Meanwhile as you can see from the text, Blue 1 has announced on the R/T that he's going home.

[Linked Image]

But the skies are not yet clear of Huns. This one is making a break for it, and he's dropped his bombs. Time to get busy again!

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

Attached Files Shot10-12-19-00-03-54.jpgShot10-12-19-00-04-06.jpgShot10-12-19-00-05-27.jpgShot10-12-19-00-05-48.jpgShot10-12-19-00-06-31.jpgShot10-12-19-00-06-47.jpgShot10-12-19-00-08-25.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 10/12/19 11:37 AM.

#4492624 - 10/12/19 02:37 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
As it happens, there's another Ju 88 still stooging around. And although you can't see it in this pic, he's still carrying his bombs. I'm not sure whether he's trying to escape, or looking for something to drop them on. Possibly the latter, as he's staying out of the clouds.

[Linked Image]

I wake him up with my first attack, which causes him to turn right in an effort to put me off my aim, get away, or both.

[Linked Image]

I start snapping out short bursts while still a bit far away, as I'm a bit wary about return fore, after last time.

[Linked Image]

Sure enough, I get hit again, but break away without serious damage. Hurricanes in WotR seem very susceptible to radiator damage, but not so, my trusty Spitfire. As you can see, the Hun has started to smoke.

[Linked Image]

Bah! Curses! Foiled, etc as Neddy Seagoon's arch enemy Moriarity would have said. For I run out of ammo on my second pass, without doing much if any additional damage to the Hun.

[Linked Image]

So this time, I'm quite pleased to see a squadron mate tack onto him...

[Linked Image]

...and send him down, bombs and all.

[Linked Image]

The big Junkers is rolling as it goes down, clearly finished.

[Linked Image]

Like I said, this is a team game. They all count, no matter who delivered the coup de grace.

...to be continued!

Attached Files Shot10-12-19-00-10-09.jpgShot10-12-19-00-11-43.jpgShot10-12-19-00-12-26.jpgShot10-12-19-00-13-07.jpgShot10-12-19-00-14-17.jpgShot10-12-19-00-14-33.jpgShot10-12-19-00-15-19.jpgShot10-12-19-00-15-51.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 10/12/19 02:42 PM.

#4492630 - 10/12/19 03:18 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Nice report 33lima. Looks like that last 88 was trying to Sh!te his internal bomb load while forgetting the external bombs. Scared him good did you! hahaha

S!Blade<><

#4492631 - 10/12/19 03:22 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Really enjoying your write ups 33lima! The photos really highlight the strong points of the sim's graphics. Great story writing as well!

Cheers!

#4492632 - 10/12/19 03:30 PM Re: Combat Reports - AAR [Re: Polovski]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Time to go home, I decide. If you recall his radio message earlier, Blue 1 has already departed thence, for whatever reason. Happily, there's no sign of the few hits I've taken affecting my kite, but I'm out of rounds.

[Linked Image]

So I turn roughly east for home and call for the flight to rejoin. The airfield below I recognise as Manston, from its position adjacent to the North Foreland, at the south-eastern end of the Thames Estuary. It's a good landmark, for these days, I have no aircraft icon displayed on the in-flight map. Formerly, this was a mod, but it comes as standard with the Beta update 1.19.

[Linked Image]

I throttle back and wait for the boys to catch up, but only two of them appear, from the four (excluding me and Blue 1) for which I was hoping. This comes as a bit of a shock . Above all else, I like to bring all my chicks home to roost.

[Linked Image]

I slow down so much that Red 2, racing to catch me up, overshoots. You can see that I have the TAC turned on as well as its additional text, which is useful to the extent it's confirming Manston is my nearest airfield, but its gratuitous advice to 'run away', like I'm a naughty child caught raiding an orchard, is rather annoying.

[Linked Image]

Anyhow, Red 2 is soon slipping neatly into position. This time, he's the one flying the older kite, or at least, the one with the older undersurface colour scheme.

[Linked Image]

I'm struggling a bit with the elevator trim, which seems to want to lose its setting every time I bank to adjust my heading. Battle damage? I don't think so. Unfamiliarity? Possibly. At any rate, I find myself a bit lower than intended by the time we pass Eastchurch airfield on the Isle of Sheppy, with the Estuary on our right. It's useful in WotR that airfields names appear when labels are flicked on, which helps the new player identify these important landmarks and possible refuges.

[Linked Image]

Soon, we've crossed over the Thames Estuary. I know that Hornchurch and home is now not far away, somewhere up ahead. I slide the canopy back in anticipation of landing. Ever faithful, Red 3 is out on my right.

[Linked Image]

Here we go! There's no ATC formalities for this kind of thing in WoTR, which is about right for the time and place - an airfield's 'flying control' typically consisted of a chap in a hut or a caravan with no radio, just a Very pistol and an ample supply of 'reds'.

[Linked Image]

I land without too big a bounce, raise my flaps (some squadrons fined pilots for risking damage taxying with these down) and seek out an unoccupied blast-proof pen. I can't seem to get much swing into her from the rudder so I just brake to a halt facing an empty pen, and switch off. There are no vitrual 'erks' (RAF Aircraftmen) to grab my wingtips, swing me around and roll me back in. So that's it, then. At least I made it back in one piece this time, and I brought my aeroplane back with me. The Flight Sergeant will be ever so pleased.

[Linked Image]

A look at the detailed debriefing confirms that Blue 1, who had to return early, also made it down, damaged but unwounded. Blue 3. though not yet down, also got away with it. But we have lost Roy Orton, Blue 2. On the plus side, we are credited with four enemy aircraft destroyed, with my man Red 3 having got two of them.

[Linked Image]

Today, it was fairly easy - we met a small number of unescorted bombers, and made short work of them, though not without loss. If we can keep this up, we might just be able to make it through to the end, with a creditable bag of Huns to show for it. Only time will tell!

Attached Files Shot10-12-19-00-16-39.jpgShot10-12-19-00-16-57.jpgShot10-12-19-00-18-26.jpgShot10-12-19-00-21-23.jpgShot10-12-19-00-36-50.jpgShot10-12-19-00-37-36.jpgShot10-12-19-00-40-27.jpgWotR 1.19 65 camp 1 derief.jpgShot10-12-19-00-19-35.jpgShot10-12-19-00-26-36.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 10/12/19 03:44 PM.

Page 22 of 33 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 32 33

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.