McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4483531 - 07/20/19 08:34 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Oh hell yeah! Can't wait!
Not my favorite book, but I do think it will make good tv.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4491733 - 10/06/19 04:59 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Can`y wait. Found a new trailer for it posted today.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4491821 - 10/07/19 10:37 AM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
While I consider the story on Illus as the weakest in the whole series so far, I can imagine that it'll work better in TV form.

In any case, I'll binge it as soon as it becomes available.

(Did they lift a JFK speech for the trailer?)

#4491870 - 10/07/19 02:07 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I agree, the book was somewhat dull, but I do think it will be good on tv. The writing on the show is so good (the authors are involved), not to mention the cast, that they turn some things that were bland in the book into something much better. The following book ought to be pretty good, I liked it a lot.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4491872 - 10/07/19 02:12 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
It's rare but there are a few cases where the film or tv adaptation superseded the book. The one that immediately comes to mind is "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". Philip K. Dick had a chance to preview some of the Blade Runner film shortly before he died and he was quoted as being "blown away" by what he saw. Another example is "Fight Club" where the author of the book had a similar reaction when he saw the David Fincher film adaptation.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4491877 - 10/07/19 02:36 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
I read the first book in the series after watching the first season and I must admit that I preferred the TV-show and as a consequence have not felt like reading the next books. Had I read the book/s before watching, I might have had a different opinion.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4491906 - 10/07/19 04:40 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I find that generally book and TV series complement each other extremely well. I often wish the authors would take more time to describe things, everyday life, like a series of short stories "Miller, Early Years of a Space Cop" or something. The show OTOH goes at length to fill scenes with a lot of visual details that are going on in the background, or are just shown briefly. The wife was particularly impressed by the homeless of the future in the 3rd season (the "Escape from NY Embassy" episode). Yes, they were street bums, but street bums of the future with high-tech boiling pots that showed the temperature, the recipe, etc. - still a low life, but a low life that in some ways is better than today's low life. In the first season you had Miller's cigarette smoke spiral up due to low gravity/Coriolis force, etc. - I love these small details.
And yet, they don't lose themselves in slavish adherence to engineering principles, or the dreaded Star Trek techno babble, but still keep a focus on the human side, and, this is what I like best, a deep web of dependencies where small disturbances create surprising cascading effects elsewhere which, even if separated substantially by time or great distances, are quite plausible.

You can of course criticize the Expanse future as incomplete as there are no AIs, the space battles are way too frequent and too intense to be supported by the economies that create these fleets, but I'm happily suspending my disbelief because the rest is so good. And reading the books, I feel, does not spoil my immense enjoyment of the show. Sure, there are no big surprises anymore as far as the big story is concerned, but like I wrote, show and books complement each other. The show is short on story and character details, but richer in visuals to create background, so going back and forth between the two is perfectly fine for me.

#4491911 - 10/07/19 04:46 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
It's rare but there are a few cases where the film or tv adaptation superseded the book. The one that immediately comes to mind is "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". Philip K. Dick had a chance to preview some of the Blade Runner film shortly before he died and he was quoted as being "blown away" by what he saw. Another example is "Fight Club" where the author of the book had a similar reaction when he saw the David Fincher film adaptation.

Well, to be fair Panzer, Chuck Palahniuk's novel "Fight Club" was written quite well--awesomely, I dare say. The guy's a master of words. But the movie is a classic, and thankfully captured much of the tone of the novel through Edward Norton's narration.

I can't wait for season 4 of The Expanse. I hope they release all the episodes at once. smile

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 10/07/19 04:48 PM.
#4491953 - 10/07/19 09:08 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I can't remember how Amazon releases? I hope it's at once too, I want to binge. Jack Ryan comes out next month, I'm looking forward to that.

The Expanse does have some novellas, 4-5? but I haven't read any. Might be good for some Babylon 5-like short story movies.
Books usually do expand on characters better, even with just a paragraph about one at introduction, but this show has done a bang up job taking advantage of retrospect to develop a few characters much more smoothly than the books. It's easier to develop Avasarala and bring her in right off the bat in S1 having multiple books to go ahead and draw from. She wasn't even in the first book IIRC. The show benefits from better transition thanks to the books being so far ahead.

I was really impressed with the show's depiction of Cotyar, a great character on the show, but just along for the ride in the books. Ashford is a great character and played perfectly next to Drummer. Really good casting and writing, he seemed much more complex and relatable on the show.

#4491963 - 10/07/19 10:36 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
The Expanse does have some novellas, 4-5? but I haven't read any.

Eight by now, a comic book with the background stories how the main characters landed on the Rocinante, a handful of short stories, including the ones written for The Expanse pen & paper RPG.

Ashford is a great character and played perfectly next to Drummer. Really good casting and writing, he seemed much more complex and relatable on the show.

Maybe a bit too relatable for my taste (but then again, the more relatable, the better they are as an antagonist).

Drummer's definitely one cool Belter lady. She was important and a good guy and all in the novels, but the TV show and especially the actress made her a memorable person. Likewise Avasarala and her husband, yes.

#4491971 - 10/08/19 12:56 AM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Yeah, Drummer is definitely a bad-ass. I think the character that left me underwhelmed the most in the series is Bobbie Draper. The novels had me picturing her more Brienne of Tarth-like, not the skinny thing in the series. Holden is too young, I always pictured Amos as being older as well. Miller, though, was perfect, the street-smart, burned out cop who didn’t know how to do anything else.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4491997 - 10/08/19 08:18 AM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I have no problem with the cast of Amos. I think it can be considered established that he had to grow up at a very young age, and in order to be the (also physical) monster that he is in some ways, they had to pick an actor whose body is in its prime. Holden being too young - yeah... but the choice they made doesn't distract me. Bobbie Draper - yeah, they should have picked an actress from Samoa or Fiji, but I suppose the pool of actors from that region is rather sparsely populated. At the end of the day each casting decision needs to meet multiple requirements, sometimes contradictory. Ultimately the question is whether Bobbie's physical appearance is what defines her character; I understand everyone who answers this with a Yes, but I can live with the choice they made.

#4492071 - 10/08/19 04:58 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I wouldn't change any of the cast. I thought Bobbie was cast perfectly! She's a good actress, stout enough, looks as described. Not many would have the perfect build, I think she was described as "unable to walk past a gym without putting on 5 lbs of muscle". LOL

"Frankie Adams (born 3 January 1994) is a New Zealand-Samoan actress, best known for her roles as Bobbie Draper in the science fiction television series The Expanse and as Ula Levi in the prime-time soap opera Shortland Street.
Adams was born on the island of Savai in Samoa and is the oldest of three daughters. She attended Auckland Girls Grammar School."

#4492089 - 10/08/19 09:10 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
I wouldn't change any of the cast. I thought Bobbie was cast perfectly! She's a good actress, stout enough, looks as described.

Sorry, no.
Bobbie's described as more than two meters tall and having the muscles of a professional wrestler or bodybuilder. Now, I will admit that Frankie Adams might be able to kick my sorry ass but she doesn't have the stature. It doesn't bother me much (like I wrote), but you'd have to bundle two or three of her with zip ties to make her the size as was described. In the novels, Bobbie triggers people with gigantism fetish. Frankie Adams is cute and everything, and a good actress, from Samoa even, so possibly the best compromise that they could find during the casting process. But "looks as described" is beyond a stretch.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4492106 - 10/08/19 11:05 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
The Mountain with boobs.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4492131 - 10/09/19 07:07 AM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
...which always struck me as needlessly cartoonish, to be honest, but yes.
Someone growing up in .46g might be tall and slender, and given enough physical training might pack some muscle later on, but still you have a body accustomed to .46g, with the reduced bone density limiting the amount of physical power that you can leverage (and who knows how growing up at half the gravity will affect tendons and joints). A lot of muscle often symbolizes toughness, but toughness is just as much (if not more) a state of mind.

#4492139 - 10/09/19 10:26 AM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Remember that the MCRMC did a lot of training in 1g, too. Plus I think genetics would dictate body type as much as environment, and Samoans aren’t known for being small. So she’d have a head start in getting that muscular build.

Phil

#4492148 - 10/09/19 12:55 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Bobbie wasn't described "as a Samoan". The way she was described made me think however that an actress from Samoa or Fiji might actually meet the sheer size. That Frankie Adams was born there is a bit of a curious coincidence (or maybe the casting agency had precisely the same idea and looked for someone like that, it's just that the place of birth doesn't seem to coincide with ancestry/body stature). Anyway, this isn't really the main point of contention. Like I wrote, I think Frankie Adams is fine even if she doesn't quite look the part, just like that midget Tom Cruise managed to fill the role of Jack Reacher.

The 1g training is fine but can't make up for growing up from infancy to late teens in a comparatively low g environment. It's not as if Bobbie was already in her 40s, rather her early to mid 20s. Which means that 4/5th of her life she was not a Marine working out in a centrifuge. Ultimately this is a rather nerdy debate anyway since "it's the future" and we can only speculate to which degree MRCN Marines are being fed with steroids to compensate for their handicap of growing up in a 46% Earth gravity environment (but then again, what would stop Earthers to do the same, except that they "don't need it", and what's the point of physical force in interplanetary warfare and the age of power armor, anyway). In short, this part of Bobbie's description in The Expanse I found the least convincing, but I'm not losing sleep over this question either.

#4492231 - 10/09/19 11:51 PM Re: Season 4 Trailer The Expanse and release date [Re: McGonigle]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
The one thing that Bobbie in the Expanse has compared with Brienne of Tarth is fluidity of movement, Gwendoline Christie is stiff and immobile compared with Frankie Adams, it was always something that niggled at me watching her in Game of Thrones, her knees seem to work as bad as mine after years of playing American Football smile

It is just as bad as casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, he gets away with it but there is nowhere in the films you think that Tom has the bulk of someone large and intimidating as in the books 1.96m (6ft 5") compared with Tom at 1.70m (5ft 7")

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.