Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4491779 - 10/07/19 12:02 AM WOFF PE - more landscape density and still runs smoothly  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Greetings All,

Let me start by thanking OBD, again, for another super upgrade. You folks are the best!

I have been running PE with all the settings max'd out, and the new landscape tiles and extra object density and clouds are fantastic. So what magic did you perform to give us the new density levels while keeping things running silky? As has been the case since the first version of WOFF, I still need to do the 5 to 7 seconds of scanning around at the beginning of a mission to allow everything to load initially, after which I can fly smoothly. And I do scan around again about every 15 minutes or so to help new items load along the way, which also seems to help keep things running nearly stutter free, (oh wait, are we allowed to use the 'S' word?). biggrin
But seriously, how did you devs manage the new higher density levels without a performance hit? Inquiring minds want to know. However you did it, I love it!

As point of reference, my current system specs, (which have remained unchanged for nearly two years), are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core, OC’d to 3.8GHz
CPU Fan: Arctic Super Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4 x 4gb) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth P67
Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA
Opti Drive: LG 22X DVD+/RW Dual Layer SATA Rewrite
Video Cards: Two EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4gb cards with HB SLI bridge
PS: Corsair HX 850 Watt
LG 27" flat screen LCD monitor, 1920 x 1080 native resolution
Four large case fans, plus the PS, CPU, mobo, and card fans
Saitek AV8R joystick
Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals
Track IR4 camera with latest IR5 software

Hardly cutting edge by any means but still a good solid system.

Cheers, and hats off to OBD, cheers

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4491787 - 10/07/19 01:12 AM Re: WOFF PE - more landscape density and still runs smoothly [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hiya Lou! Thanks so much for giving us an update on how you're getting on. I think you and I are running somewhat similar setups in terms of sheer horsepower. I'm also running at the same resolution you are. Glad to know the going is smooth! Looking forward to trying this one out at the end of the month!

Cheers!

PS: I'm with you on what kind of magic OBD work on this thing - I've been saying for the better part of a decade that it's doing things that by all means, it has not right to do!

#4491791 - 10/07/19 01:30 AM Re: WOFF PE - more landscape density and still runs smoothly [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
It must be tied in with the work that came about as a result of the triangles mod. I've found that UE is giving me a solid 58 FPS from the ground up, even with populated airfields mod running fully populated and all that type of thing going on as well as fairly busy skies, and that is running the best quality option of the BT mod with most workshop settings locked in to medium and heavy air activity. It could be my new CPU/GPU/SSD helping as well but performance is better than ever as a result of whatever magical improvements have been made to the inner workings of WoFF. My settings/setup even circumvent the initial "waiting for the universe to sort itself out" period which is nice.

I do get the occasional stutter here and there when new areas/aircraft spawn but even AAA titles with multi million dollar budgets suffer from far worse than anything I've seen in WoFF lately and I don't think I've seen the FPS dip below 50 for quite some time now which is heavenly. That will be tested more when I progress to 1917-18 scenarios but the current outlook is pigs in clover compared to my initial experiences with the game which had me googling all kinds of black magic solutions to smooth things out.

I have a 1TB Crucial SSD, 3GB GTX 1060 and i3770K not OCed due to MB limitations but with turbo enabled to take it out to 3.9 GHZ so a similar setup to yours Lou. You might want to look into getting a little SSD for WoFF perhaps to give you that little extra bit of texture handling oomph?

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM