Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 98 of 366 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 365 366
#4491421 - 10/04/19 01:28 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Fullofit, so Toby has at last met something other than an Eindecker, and it had to be a Roland. Poor fellow, sometimes being a combat pilot in the service of the King just stinks.

Carrick, tough luck on the loss of Blackwell. Seems a harsh trade, a pilot and plane for a gasbag.

Raine, wonderful wrap-up. And nearly another Zep, so close. But I am very nervous now for Jim, flying those B.E.12s over in Albatros country is going to be extremely dicey. Be careful.

Here is my wrap-up of the Alex, Jim, Swany episode.

4 October 1916
Salisbury, England

When approaching the unknown it's generally best to proceed carefully and expect the unexpected. Captain Swanson had learned this early on the farm in northern Minnesota when, at the tender age of five, he took it upon himself to ride a horse without the aid of adults. While his father had hoisted him up to ride with him from time to time, even setting the boy on the back of one of the animals on occasion and walking him around the yard, Swany had never been allowed to actually ride one on his own. How hard could it be he thought, after all, he'd seen the men do it many times. What he'd fail to notice however was precisely which of the horses the men had ridden; at the time his father and uncle owned six between them. They were work horses used for pulling plows or wagons or felled logs, generally speaking anything that needed pulling, and while most of them were OK for riding, a few were - well - not. It was a member of the lesser group that young Swanson had singled out to be his mount, a large dark bay easily seventeen hands high. The beast was in the yard when Swany approached it with the gift of an apple, climbing to the top rail of the fence as he did so. The old mare plodded over for the treat and no sooner had she sunk her teeth into the fruit than the young boy stood up on the rail and launched himself onto her back, landing at the base of her thick neck. Swany grabbed handfuls of mane as the horse stood motionless for a moment. The boy was just about to dig his heels in and give the "t'chck t'chck" sound he'd heard his father and uncle use in similar situations when the bay took off across the yard all on her own, quickly reaching her full speed. Swany realized, too late of course, that he had no control whatsoever and despite his best five-year-old efforts to slow his mount by leaning back and pulling on her mane, she continued on towards the far fence. For a moment the boy thought they were going up and over the approaching barrier, and he was partly right. At the last instant the old mare dug her hooves in and came to a full stop while simultaneously lowering her head and neck. The unwanted rider went sailing off her back and over the fence, over the scrub brush along said fence, and down into the mucky pond beyond that served as the collection point for all the yard run-off. Apart from being covered in filth and stinking to high heaven young Swanson was unharmed. Amazingly he had not been so much frightened by the experience as he had been surprised by it. As Swany climbed from the muck, wiping his face and shaking off the larger clods, he was greeted first by the bay mare as she gave him a traditional horse laugh from the other side of the fence, and next by his father who had witnessed the entire event from the house but had been unable to intervene, having realized too late what his son was up to. After a cursory scolding, followed by a thorough dousing with numerous buckets of water from the trough, Swany was led to the barn. The young boy assumed it was for the customary switching but instead his father took him to one of the other, more agreeable horses and, after tossing a blanket on the animal's back and a lead around its neck, he lifted his son up onto his new mount.

"Der", the boy's father stated matter-of-factly, "you ride dis vun."

Captain Swanson had recalled this early life lesson as he was packing up his kit at the Old George. His good friend James Collins had been ordered to cut his visit short on the evening of the 30th and proceed immediately to Woodford Green. His travelling companion Alex Anderson had chosen to stay behind, stating that she wanted to gather further information regarding Swany for the story she would be submitting to her paper the following day. Jim was none-too-pleased at the sudden turn of events and had a few choice words regarding it, though he kept most of those words primarily to himself. He and his friend had both been vying for the affections of Miss Anderson and it appeared he was ahead in the competition, but now Swanson would have an open field. As it turned out Jim needn't have worried. While Captain Swanson and Miss Anderson did dine together later that evening, just the two of them, the bulk of the meal was spent with the journalist asking her remaining wrap-up questions. Swany noticed that the woman's demeanor had changed after James had departed. While she was still quite attentive she was far less flirty, much more business-like. It became obvious to the young Captain in farily short order that the object of both his and Jim's attentions had been playing them, one against the other, for her own amusement. She'd been in command all the way along and when it pleased her she tossed off her would-be suitors just as quickly and casually as that old horse had thrown its unwanted rider. The following morning as Swanson was returning to the hotel from his daily run, he saw Alex standing at the curb while her bag was being loaded into a waiting taxi. She'd been caught slipping away without even so much as a good-bye.

"Oh Swany, I umm, I went looking for you but you were out", the young woman stated uneasily as Swany approached. "I must get to London right away and wire in my story. We're hoping to have it in today's paper back home."

The Captain stood there in his greyback flannel shirt, uniform trousers and boots, the sweat glistening on his brow. In a less-than-warm tone he replied, "Surprised you didn't mention you were leaving when we were having dinner last night. Must have been a last minute ting, eh?"

"Oh yes, very last minute, sorry about that. It's been lovely though and I hope we can get together again soon. You'll be in England now for a while, I imagine." Alex hurriedly stepped into the back of the car.

"Yes, I imagine I will be. You be sure and send me a copy of dat paper just as soon as you can. I'd love to read the story you've come up with, I'm sure it will be a whopper." Swany flashed a smile edged with just the faintest sarcasm.

"Oh I'll have a copy sent to you just as soon as possible", Alex called out as the taxi began to pull away. "Good-bye."

Swany chuckled to himself, mulling over the whole affair as he cinched up his kit. After first Jim's and then Miss Anderson's sudden departures he'd spent two more days tramping around Salisbury on his own before finally getting bored. He decided it was time to move along to his new assignment at Stow Maries, even though he wasn't required to be there until the 7th. A stint of Home Defence work was sounding pretty good to the war-weary pilot. The Captain headed to the lobby of the Old George where he settled up his bill and requested a cab to take him to the station. As he waited it occurred to him that females such as Miss Anderson would likely be the more dangerous of the opponents he'd be facing during his tour back in Blighty. That suited him just fine.

#4491496 - 10/04/19 11:50 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Raine and Lou, played by a women! I didn’t see that one coming. While I feel Swany is safe for the moment, I feel for James and his new assignment.
Carrick, sorry for the loss of your flight mate.

Fw Drogo Dorn
Spincourt Field
Verdun
Oct. 4, 1916

A beautiful day after last nights festivities. Goering, Dorn and Aumann were tasked with taking down a balloon east of Verdun. The flight to the target was calm with no contact. Aumann, the newest member of the Jasta was on Dorns left. He had been instructed to dive last and follow Dorn. Approaching the balloon, Goering wagged his wings and dove. Dorn followed but soon heard something pop and eased up on the stick. He saw Aumann flash past him way too fast! As Dorn pulled up the balloon exploded, no doubt from Goering’s fire. He fell in with Goering but could not see Auman anywhere. He knew what had happened. Aumann’s smiling face would not be at mess tonight.

Back at Spincourt they learned John’s and Hummel were missing from Kette Eins. Marconnay said they had tangled with some Nieuports. Later that night word came through that they were both killed. Things can change fast, thought Dorn. Three new pilots transferred in. All with 1 combat mission apiece. Also Dorn’s other balloon was confirmed bringing his total to 7 but he did not care much at the moment. Tomorrow will be another day.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4491505 - 10/05/19 01:34 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

What a fine interplay that was, gentlemen! Very entertaining, and the best woman won smile

WOFF Platinum is up and running and Lazlo's had one mission with it. Sadly he lost his wingman as they were arriving home. Halb engine failures, argh!!!

Too busy flying Platinum and getting all my settings dialed in for the moment. Will update Lazlo's story on Monday. Have fun all, and definitely go easy on the mods to start with. It looks awesome without any and runs really well, too.

https://youtu.be/m_HhfCoE5cE

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4491507 - 10/05/19 01:35 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

MFair, sorry about the losses, but congrats on # 7. Dorn's going well!

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4491508 - 10/05/19 01:39 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Fullofit, time for Toby to find a laundrette! Phew!

#4491543 - 10/05/19 12:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Fw Drogo Dorn
Oct. 5, 1916

The corporal shook Drogo from his sleep. “Your wanted immediately At the Kommandant’s office.” Drogo pulled himself from the bed and dressed as quick as he could. It was raining outside with high winds. “What could he want? Surely we are not going to fly.”

When Drogo entered the office, Goering was there. “This is a special mission” the Kommandant said. “This balloon southeast of Verdun has to come down. “Dorn, you will take one of the D III’s. Any questions?”

The two took off in a light rain with heavy wind. Drogo had wanted an upgrade in a machine but wished better weather for it. They made no contact on the way to the balloon, not that any was expected. Only a fool would fly in this soup. As they approached the balloon Goering gave the signal to attack. Goering missed on his pass but Drogo, now with 2 guns made short work of the bag. He pulled up and followed Goering back up into the clouds. Over the lines Drogo lost sight of Goering. Soon, Spincourt was visible in the haze and he circled once before final approach. As he was coming in, blipping the engine, he heard something strange and looked to the right. He was shocked to see French roundals on a strange craft zooming past just below him. He had a perfect chance to fall in behind but was so surprised he missed it. Pulling up at full power he saw Goering flash past in pursuit. The new French machine could climb! The Frenchman made to head home but Goering followed so Drogo followed. “Surely one of us can get him” he thought. Then the Frenchman about 1000’ above, banked around. Drogo watched the Frenchman and Goering. He was climbing as fast as he could. All of a sudden the Frenchman winged over and came straight down at Drogo. Bullets smashed into the cockpit shattering the instruments and Drogo felt as if a sledge hammer had hit his leg. He went straight for Spincourt below. He was not in pain but he knew he was in serious trouble. Blipping his engine as the machine touched down he could feel his brain slipping into a void. He was vaguely aware of being pulled from the machine then all went blank.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4491557 - 10/05/19 02:28 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Carrick, Blackwell must have bled to death. This will start happening more often with WOFF PE I expect.

Lou, your horse story reminded me of one of the stories my mother used to tell me. They lived on a farm and while at Swanson’s age she did a similar stunt by bringing two horses home at once. Her father made sure she remembered that incident for the rest of her life and thus was able to tell it to her children in great detail. As to Alex, I didn’t expect anything else from her. To be honest why would anyone expect anything else from her? She did her job, had fun doing it and now she’ll get her just rewards. Nothing wrong with that. Men are such idiots for thinking they’re entitled to something special for treating women in a friendly manner. Looks like Swany had learned another of life’s lessons. Looking forward to finding out what trouble Randolph will get himself into at Stow Maries.

MFair, is Drogo ok? What was that new French machine?
Sounds like Dorn is developing a thick skin with all his flight mates perishing around him. He will need this thick hide to survive the war with his sanity intact.

Harry, are the laundrettes in France just as attractive as the French maids? Good luck with the Platinum version tweaks. We wouldn’t want Lazlo experience those dreaded engine stutters, would we?

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4491563 - 10/05/19 03:05 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Wonderful stories to go with my coffee.

It seems the pilots do a lot of _______________________________________________________ around !

Attached Files Connie_Hines_Mister_Ed.JPGs-l1000 SEC.jpg
#4491565 - 10/05/19 03:25 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Keith Cunard Mallory
LT, Rfc MC
B Flight Commander
29 Sqn, Ablee , France
DH-2's
5 Kills

Oct 5, 1916.

Lost haft of my flight on the morning Patrol. I told the chaps watch for my gestures , stick to me like glue, but they didnt too eager to get to grips with the Huns. The 4 of us were over the lines at 5,000 ft and spotted 3 flights of e/a. I waved to follow me in attacking a lower 3 a/c Halbt flight. Upon making a High side attack, I noticed that I was all alone. The rest of the flight had attacked the other higher flight of 3 Albatross Scouts, One of the e/a caught fire or mid aired as I closed on the another firing off 3 strings of 8 or 10 rds then one was on my tail I took 5 hits before I saw him swing left so I nosed down and swung right getting away from him. As soon as we crossed the line he fell away and I RTB We lost 2 DH-2 and Pilots for 0 e/a

Attached Files CFS3 2019-10-05 07-30-45-76.jpgCFS3 2019-10-05 07-34-09-59.jpg
#4491597 - 10/05/19 07:41 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Fullofit, don't mention that dreaded word! The s@#$%r police will jump out at us!

Carrick, sorry about the losses. Are you flying PE? Seems to me it's a lot more deadly than UE was. Anyone who's moved up to PE (and if you haven't, you really should!) I think we all need to be more careful than ever wink

#4491666 - 10/06/19 12:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: HarryH]  
kksnowbear Online content
kksnowbear  Online Content

Originally Posted by HarryH
Fullofit, don't mention that dreaded word! The s@#$%r police will jump out at us!

Yeah...you have to call it a 'hiccup' instead ('cuz, you know, calling it a different name changes what actually happens)...

Also, the occasional "hiccup" that occurs when terrain or other things are loading is actually worse with the BT mod on (IME).

Last edited by kksnowbear; 10/06/19 12:11 PM.
#4491672 - 10/06/19 12:34 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Carrick, ouch! I feel your pain. That is a blow to squad morale.

Fw Drogo Dorn
Oct. 6, 1916

Drogo was taken to a hospital after an encounter with a Spad. One bullet hit him in the thigh clipping his femoral artery. He will most likely be out of action for a few weeks.

My apologies for the abbreviated story Gents but trying to get off for a few days.

#4491673 - 10/06/19 12:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great reading these story's as always guys,hoping to pick up PE this week,it sounds an incredible update.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4491718 - 10/06/19 03:50 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: kksnowbear]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Originally Posted by kksnowbear

Yeah...you have to call it a 'hiccup' instead ('cuz, you know, calling it a different name changes what actually happens)...

Also, the occasional "hiccup" that occurs when terrain or other things are loading is actually worse with the BT mod on (IME).

Oh, hey, Snowy! You have a pilot in this challenge? You are such an obsessive smile

#4491720 - 10/06/19 04:09 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  

Hi Barry. Nope, don't need a pilot to understand what's happening, regardless of the label being put on it smile

#4491728 - 10/06/19 04:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: kksnowbear]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Originally Posted by kksnowbear
Hi Barry. Nope, don't need a pilot to understand what's happening, regardless of the label being put on it smile

Nice comeback smile OK I'll change my sig, since it clearly offends you. Your original stutter challenge remains flawed, however, which was my whole point. The good news is, and I would hope you agree, is that the Platinum Edition does seem to reduce these annoying little interruptions (or whatever people call them) even further. Hopefully you've bought it and are enjoying it!

Cheers KKS

#4491731 - 10/06/19 04:53 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Wow, a Spad got him. Was it the dreaded Bounce ? or did it turnfight ?

Last edited by carrick58; 10/06/19 05:03 PM.
#4491739 - 10/06/19 05:58 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  

If my Sig offends you to the point that it interferes with constructive dialogue, I can certainly change it as well.

There is nothing flawed about the stutter test I use. It is designed to make stutters happen, and it does. If the sim didn't stutter, then no amount of my test or any other could make it happen.

I'm sorry if you and others are unable to actually run the test without it showing stutters, but you can't eliminate part(s) of the test in order to "beat the challenge".
The test is not causing the stutters, it's just a means of reproducing what is already there. And it's very reliable about it, which is why all the parts are there, and can't be bypassed or omitted.

It happens i don't have PE yet, although I am certainly considering it. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I have concerns about the same issues I've always disliked.

On a good note, I was very happy to see animated guns and cloud popping gone (if it truly is). These are among the few remaining problems that turned me away from this sim.

If only the stutters could be fixed...and unfortunately acting like they don't happen or splitting hairs about what to call them just doesn't change the fact that they still happen.

Name-calling, etc, none of that is going to solve it. But I don't think it's unreasonable I should respond in kind, once that's how someone comes at me.

Even if the stuttering (or whatever) never gets resolved, my test is not causing it. It's just a way to reproduce what's already there, and that's one of the first steps in solving any problem (after admitting there is a problem, and identifying it).

Unfortunately some people can't get past admitting it...which I find remarkable as it comes up around here from time to time, even when I have nothing to do with it.

#4491741 - 10/06/19 06:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: carrick58]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted by carrick58
Wow, a Spad got him. Was it the dreaded Bounce ? or did it turnfight ?

Carry, I would call it a bounce as he showed up as I was blipping on final approach. I was fool enough to go after him was the problem!

#4491750 - 10/06/19 08:35 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
5 October, 1916 07:30 morning mission
Luxeuil, Alsace Sector
3 Wing RNAS
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry
25 confirmed kills

Toby nearly soiled his trousers again when he found out his Roland claim from the other day has been confirmed.
This morning he was to escort the ‘A’ flight on a bomb run of a troop camp east of Thann. They would never get there. 4 Fokkers came down at them as the two flights were taking off. Everyone scrambled and scattered to split the Hun formation. One went after Eggy and Mulberry showed up just in time to get him off his back. He was hit in the process by one or two Eindeckers following him but was able to evade further fire. There was much confusion at low altitude. Toby thought he hit one before it crashed into the ground. One more was taken out by Ack-Ack. Toby chased another Eindecker, but with the bomb load it was futile and the enemy was able to climb away. Both ‘A’ and ‘B’ flights landed safely back. Needless to say the enemy troops were safe for another day up in their camp east of Thann. It is also needless to say that all shot down Fokkers were claimed by the anti-aircraft gun crews.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
Page 98 of 366 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social