Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4491632 - 10/06/19 02:47 AM Took a monocular to an airshow today  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Specifically an Orion 10x42 Monocular.

SO much more convenient than my binoculars - as in for sharing with people, and more...

One dial for focus, one "dial" for eye relief (for switching between eyeglass wearers and bare face).

None of telling people "First get your interpupilary distance dialed, then focus the left objective lens, then focus the right ocular", or the time hassle of it.

I passed that thing around among little kids today, they had no problem with it. Binoculars I wouldn't have even attempted it (for flying airplanes, static terrestrial viewing would be a different matter).

I also liked how I could have one eye free in case I lost track of fast moving planes, without having to move a binocular away.

Less than half the weight of an equivalent binocular, less than half the size (on a side note less than half the price too), case has belt loop so it's like it's "holstered" (try THAT with any equivalent size/spec binos...)

A bonus with the model I'm using - unlike most (maybe all?) binoculars this thing can focus on objects as close as 2 feet. I wasn't inside the actual airshow, I was just outside of the base around trees, plants, etc, and so in between acts I was looking at bugs and such like with a magnifying glass but a few feet away.

I ended up not even pulling my binoculars out of my backpack because of this thing. Great airshow accessory.

And the Blue Angels kicked ass!

Last edited by Zamzow; 10/06/19 04:38 AM. Reason: Tribute
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4491634 - 10/06/19 02:53 AM Re: Took a monocular to an airshow today [Re: Zamzow]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted by Zamzow
Specifically an Orion 10x42 Monocular.

SO much more convenient than my binoculars - as in for sharing with people, and more...

One dial for focus, one "dial" for eye relief (for switching between eyeglass wearers and bare face).

None of telling people "First get your interpupilary distance dialed, then focus the left objective lens, then focus the right ocular", or the time hassle of it.

I passed that thing around among little kids today, they had no problem with it. Binoculars I wouldn't have even attempted it (for flying airplanes, static terrestrial viewing would be a different matter).

I also liked how I could have one eye free in case I lost track of fast moving planes, without having to move a binocular away.

Less than half the weight of an equivalent binocular, less than half the size (on a side note less than half the price too), case has belt loop so it's like it's "holstered" (try THAT with any equivalent size/spec binos...)

A bonus with the model I'm using - unlike most (maybe all?) binoculars this thing can focus on objects as close as 2 feet. I wasn't inside the actual airshow, I was just outside of the base around trees, plants, etc, and so in between acts I was looking at bugs and such like with a magnifying glass but a few feet away.

I ended up not even pulling my binoculars out of my backpack because of this thing. Great airshow accessory.

Good idea, need to replace my Binocs after giving them to my son before moving. Could use something like that for sure.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4491636 - 10/06/19 03:04 AM Re: Took a monocular to an airshow today [Re: Zamzow]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

I use a monocular exclusively. Not nearly as modern as yours, a late Soviet era Helios MP2 8x30 (right hand) model. It is still much easier to work with than a comparable binocular. Bought mostly because it was cheap (equivalent to around $10 iirc) and compact enough to go in a normal pocket.

Mine doesn't focus down as far. Minimum focal distance is around 7 ft, but it is possible to work with it at that distance, unlike a pair of binoculars which would be complicated by the second occular. It is after all little more than a slightly modified housing for a half of a binocular, so different, as opposed to more convenient use isn't anything I'd expect of it.

#4491642 - 10/06/19 04:54 AM Re: Took a monocular to an airshow today [Re: Lieste]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by Lieste
I use a monocular exclusively. Not nearly as modern as yours, a late Soviet era Helios MP2 8x30 (right hand) model. It is still much easier to work with than a comparable binocular. Bought mostly because it was cheap (equivalent to around $10 iirc) and compact enough to go in a normal pocket.

Mine doesn't focus down as far. Minimum focal distance is around 7 ft, but it is possible to work with it at that distance, unlike a pair of binoculars which would be complicated by the second occular. It is after all little more than a slightly modified housing for a half of a binocular, so different, as opposed to more convenient use isn't anything I'd expect of it.

Wow that IS some old stuff, left or right handed models?

Yeah get a "straight tube", mine was only $60, so awesome...

#4491643 - 10/06/19 05:11 AM Re: Took a monocular to an airshow today [Re: Zamzow]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

What I was loving was the whole "grab it and look" aspect.

The thing was "holstered". Lighter than most handguns I'd imagine...

Even a set of binoculars on a "necklace" isn't this quick and easy, and for moving targets it's definitely superior (don't get me wrong, I still use binoculars and still plan to upgrade mine).

Just a really great airshow piece of kit...

#4491656 - 10/06/19 11:12 AM Re: Took a monocular to an airshow today [Re: Zamzow]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Used to carry a compact set of binoculars in the car, recently I replaced them with a monocular, much more convenient and easier to carry with you.

Now, the night vision scope, that still takes up a fair bit of room.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4491709 - 10/06/19 03:02 PM Re: Took a monocular to an airshow today [Re: Zamzow]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I have a small one I carried kayak fishing that I like. Really compact, not very powerful, but as mentioned, very convenient and easy to carry around.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4491730 - 10/06/19 04:51 PM Re: Took a monocular to an airshow today [Re: Zamzow]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

Originally Posted by Zamzow
Originally Posted by Lieste

Wow that IS some old stuff, left or right handed models?

Yeah get a "straight tube", mine was only $60, so awesome...

I'm more than happy with it. Aluminium body, and the same 'grip' housing you get on binoculars of the same type (Poros Prism). It apparently can also be found in a left hand model.

I find it more stable in the hand than a lighter plastic version which my brother has (unsure of the type, but it is a similar magnification and objective size, but in an inline package).

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.