#4491459 - 10/04/19 07:06 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Tom_Weiss
Originally Posted by NineLine
You can buy from Steam and transfer it to the standalone.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229207

took a while for it to copy from the other install and I managed to bind Steam, the F-16 module is now installed. This weekend I'll give it a try.

thanks ! smile

thumbsup

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4491495 - 10/04/19 11:46 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
I purchased this module on Thursday after watching a few vids posted here by NineLine. I have not been able to give it a run as I have a failed ssd and both versions of DCS won't fit on the hard drive.

Due to currency rates in Australia, the module with the 20% discount was actually $95.50AUD.

If it won't be on sale for another 1-2 years it is hard to predict what world currency exchange rate will be. It doesn't look like our exchange rate will improve against the US dollar any time soon.

That is my gripe and has been for some time regarding modules released by ED. It wasn't so bad when modules were 49.95 or 39.95 but I feel for those those whose hobby is flight simulation in this country and only earn a basic minimum wage.

Ed can't fix that problem though

#4491511 - 10/05/19 03:00 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
You can buy from Steam and transfer it to the standalone.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229207

took a while for it to copy from the other install and I managed to bind Steam, the F-16 module is now installed. This weekend I'll give it a try.

thanks ! smile

what's it like Tom? post a couple of screen shots if you have got it all sorted please mate

#4491521 - 10/05/19 05:35 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

It seems the F-16 just gave Eagle Dynamics a whole lot new enemies of early access, reading Hoggit.
The good thing about early access is that Eagle Dynamics gets a good picture of how much development time they should bother to put into the module in the future.
Only thing is, that is not good for easy target customers that will insta-buy and 2 years later complain it isn't finished only to give up after 4 years with whatever state the module ended up in given the amount of dollars from the 4 years earlier pile of dollars gone by now.

Winfield and Tom, I'm actually disappointed you bought the F-16 already telling Eagle Dynamics this kind of early access is ok.

The level of detail for these modules are obviously way, way too deep for their current developers and in no way financially viable.
One of two actions must be taken, either lower the details/features enough to finish a module in time available for what customer-base is willing to pay or raise the price as needed for estimated cost what they try to achieve.

What Nick Grey is now doing is the first option but not telling the customers, not an impressive move to me.

Another possibility is that Eagle Dynamics are stuck with sloppy developers and given the F-16 release black screen issue (a bloody lua variable) and general cockups always surrounding DCS and most notably the open beta arrangement no one else needs to use this is probably very close to truth.

Just comparing the recent IL-2 update from 1CGS which equals 7 years of eagle dynamics work-results (not really but you get the picture) shipped right out to "stable version" is also very telling that Eagle Dynamics have chosen to hire the low cost developers.

So, maybe the level of detail they look for actually IS doable, but not with their current staff.

#4491527 - 10/05/19 07:25 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Another good point by an alert customer.
Expect nothing less than that the Viper will be put on hold half-way down the runway when the next early access is "released".

Attached Files HornetViper.png
#4491568 - 10/05/19 04:06 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
I haven't flown any DCS jet since the A-10C stand alone for anything else than screenshots, so my opinion about is of a complete newbie, it looks very good as it is right now

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

maxed out options with 45-60 FPS

from what I can see the model is very good - hopefully they will release a template soon, the default skin is clearly still a placeholder.

#4491570 - 10/05/19 04:21 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
reconmercs Offline
reconmercs  Offline

an island
It was released in worse "Early Access" state than the Hornet was. The external lights aren't even functional yet... ED doesn't need to release more modules, they need to hire a competent accountant that can get their spending/expenses in order so they can stop using the "keep the lights on" BS excuse to keep dumping early early pre-alpha products on a gullible customer base. This is the last time I spend money on any more of their products. This was the last straw. Now that they've released this thing, I'm really curious to see how much longer it takes for the Hornet to actually reach a truly finished state, ie Ground Radar, ATFLIR etc.... I'm sick of Wags and Norm spinning BS excuses on the ED forum to the gullible fanboys with more money that common sense. Enough is enough.

#4491594 - 10/05/19 07:28 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
Ithe default skin is clearly still a placeholder.

Very much so, I noted to the ED brass that the template is one of the most asked for things so far.

#4491595 - 10/05/19 07:31 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Winfield]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Winfield
Stuff

Yeah, there is a lot of work to be done for sure, but I love having it out in public right now as opposed to closed testing because there is an incredible amount of subject matter experts out there for the F-16, its really help get some bugs reported, or even clear up some confusion as available manuals arent always very descriptive of how stuff works in the real world.

Indeed this release is not for everyone, Alpha can be a very fair assessment, but we appreciate those that are taking part, and helping in the development for whatever that is worth.

#4491621 - 10/06/19 12:51 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: NineLine]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Ithe default skin is clearly still a placeholder.

Very much so, I noted to the ED brass that the template is one of the most asked for things so far.

I hope they release it soon - with layers for rivets, panels and lines layers not merged.

#4491646 - 10/06/19 05:38 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
I would think so, that is how the Hornet one, and any others that I have used, so I am sure it will be there same for the Viper.

#4491658 - 10/06/19 11:46 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
we will see smile

#4491901 - 10/07/19 04:31 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

So the RWR sounds aren't even copied from the F/A-18 but even directly linked making it very silent for customers without the Hornet?
Haha what a #%&*$# - these developers have no self respect.
Embarrasing

#4491919 - 10/07/19 05:35 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by theOden
So the RWR sounds aren't even copied from the F/A-18 but even directly linked making it very silent for customers without the Hornet?

That can't be true, can it? Well, you know I respect your opinion Oden, so that's a bit of a shock really. But then again, maybe not so much right?

As a long time F4 player and flight simmer in general, if there were any module in DCS that would light my fire it would be this one. But back when this was all still LOMAC (which remains my latest ED purchase), I recognized that this developer was choosing a path that didn't dovetail with what I want to see in a combat flight sim. Many, many years later and that has not changed, and it's actually further diverged. I look at he DCS jets and think man I'd love to play that! But I know the rest will fail to meet my expectations because I follow it and see.

In essence I chose to vote with my wallet. I chose to not buy these titles because I didn't want to support the model. And frankly I am surprised that so many do. Different folks, different standards, different expectations, different outlooks I suppose. But the number of people I see complain about it all, while forking over their money is hard to reconcile. ED has no compelling reason to complete these modules when folks throw money at them in unfinished states. In my mind ED are masters of the empty promise, because those promises shine so brightly. If everyone is willing to pay for it unfinished, then there is no profit in continuing to finish it. As a business they make decisions based on profitability, not on whether anyone who has bought it is actually pleased with it. Haven't we seen this many times over in DCS? Who here has bought a module at any point in the past and feels it remains undone? It's akin to the mother that complains her son is a smack addict while giving him the money to buy more.

Nineline's recent charm offensive here is clearly paying dividends, so well done. But it doesn't work for me, and that's a shame, because that's a #%&*$# fine looking Viper. ED have found this sort of grey area in-between concept and execution. They have to release something, but it doesn't have to be, or eventually become, what was promised because it's already been paid for. Only when or if the inverse is true, when it's paid for when it's finished, will it change.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4491926 - 10/07/19 06:17 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BANITA
Unregistered

Cheers DBond I also bought one module years ago , and I don't want anything else from this trash.one of the worst companies i have ever met.

#4491940 - 10/07/19 08:24 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Well said DBond, I couldn't have said better!

So yes, I vote with my wallet as well since I cannot stand this ED "strategy" (I call it ripping of clients) of releasing eternal Alpha/Beta modules. As such the only DCS modules that I bought were Blackshark, A-10 and Huey (and bought these last two only when they came out of Beta and became "Final").
As such, I won't buy any more DCS modules at least until ED starts finishing modules which I believe will only happen during the 9-day week or on a 30th of February.

What puzzles me is the amount of people who apparently like/love to be ripped of but the human brain is indeed a very complex thing afterall... rolleyes

#4491941 - 10/07/19 08:27 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: theOden]  
CTR69 Offline
CTR69  Offline

Embarrasing

So that's why all the youtubers have them, i thought i was going insane, lol. Yeah, only the blinking launch warning with no tone, with the threat volume knob all the way up... Gah, guess I'll be going back to Rift virtual desktop and F4. All those rwr chirps and blips have a character. Maybe even nostalgia.

#4491943 - 10/07/19 08:36 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: CTR69]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by CTR69
Embarrasing

So that's why all the youtubers have them, i thought i was going insane, lol. Yeah, only the blinking launch warning with no tone, with the threat volume knob all the way up... Gah, guess I'll be going back to Rift virtual desktop and F4. All those rwr chirps and blips have a character. Maybe even nostalgia.

post a youtube link..

#4491945 - 10/07/19 08:45 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

DBond, having had the pleasure listening to you in Falcon BMS reading all info available from OOB and God knows preparing for a mission I am dead sure you would be exceptionally disappointed in DCS with it's TE level at best.
My last DCS mistake was the Viggen, but as a horrible Swede I just had to buy that one.

If, and i truly say IF, the Viper is "done" in 4 years then maybe it could be worth a purchase during Sale but given ED track record I think "done" can mean just about anything but not even close to what we can do in BMS even today.

As i stated before I am convinced they push early access as soon as possible to figure out how much work they can afford to put into the module.
How else are they going to survive financially?
People just don't work for free (well, modders do but that's a different game all together)

I'd rather host a BMS server 24/7 for a few years than see you spend dollars on DCS smile

#4491947 - 10/07/19 08:47 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
Yeah the RWR thing is fixed internally, I think the dev involved was a little embarrassed by this one, one of those crunch time things that slips in the noise of everything else going on. Force10 might be able to feel for this a little bit, reminded me of customers sending files into our shop to have something printed and the forgot all the links to their files smile

Anyways, I know the Viper release isnt going to win a lot of the people here over, its very Alpha, and will be receiving a lot of love over the next while, I expect it will be Open Beta release again this week with Viper fixes. But I am not going to try and change anyones mind here, certainly it's not in the shape some people would be happy with, we tried to be clear how early it was, but at the end of the day, people want what they want, and we are working hard to get it there.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.