Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4491381 - 10/04/19 05:02 AM Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW.  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Been working backyards lately. Trade is irrelevant.

Friendliest dog on my route (actually ALL the routes of the company) today...

Absolutely fun loving frolicking friendliest dog, not a first meeting...

Today I spent ten minutes with this dog, again not the first time. Not an old dog either.

No playing around, but I give affection back, no problem, never was a problem...

Dog (as usual when I'm ignoring him for work) nuzzles my legs wanting attention.

I go to give him a pet and "hey good boy", and within 5 seconds he's at my throat. He's a Black Lab, totally friendly, the most friendly dog of all 300-ish of my customers, I never worry about him...

No ankle biting, no dancing around, straight up leaping to my face and throat and trying to bite...

I LOVE this dog. I KNOW this dog. He's eaten dog biscuits right from my hand! And I spent TEN MINUTES at least with him and everything was normal, just a fun happy dog...

And then he just EXPLODED for no reason!

It was so crazy. At first I was thinking maybe he was somehow overexcited, and I certainly didn't want to even try to hurt him...

But no attempt of calming down worked, next thing I know I'm clobbering him with everything I've got to avoid him biting my neck or face, WTF?

He'd been TOTALLY "lovey dovey" (and AS USUAL) for ten minutes prior to this!!!

Honestly I'm wondering WTH went wrong, but it just reminds me of the owners of more questionable dogs - THEY'RE NOT YOUR ANGEL KID, AND YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING THEM CONTAINED.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4491394 - 10/04/19 08:58 AM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: Zamzow]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Dogs don't react aggressively without reason.
Sudden change of mood like this can often indicate a neurological problem, often caused by over-breeding, but not often seen in Labs.
Pain. Tooth pain often flares up if head is touched causing sudden pain shock and the initial response is to snap.
What did the owners say?

Incidentally in UK there are more bite incidents with Labs than generally acknowledged, as people's guards are down due to the breeds benign and lovable stereotype. And media only tend to publicise the Bull Breed attacks for sensationalism. That's why the majority of dogs abandoned and in shelters are Bull types, mostly Staffies. Pitbull owning is a criminal offence under the Dangerous Dog Act here.

We have retired and rescued Greyhound and Lurchers now, when we had Labs we were surprised how many people (and worse allowed their children to) attempt to pet them without consent.

People need to realise that dogs are predatory animals with teeth under the cute veneer! Well illustrated to us when two of the softest dogs of ours with no previous inclination to hunt coordinated a strategy combining one's speed and the other's strength for the bringing down of a deer. Akin to a velociraptor hunt seen in the Jurassic park films.

Glad to read that you didn't suffer injuries Zamzow.

#4491439 - 10/04/19 04:25 PM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: Zamzow]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Our sweet lovable black lab was fine with the family, wary with strangers, but no I would not trust her in her own. We did have a command to make her growl and bark as we did want her to deter thieves etc.
2 incidents:

1/ Getting the business audited for tax the tax inspector had been checking the books for a couple of days and had been in and out of the hotel without any problem. He had a Eureka moment Ah ha! "You cannot claim the tax back on the dog food, that black lab is not a working or guard dog so you will have to pay all this tax back". Next day, he came to the door, my mother was watching and issued the command to the dog and she had him pinned in the corner growling and barking at him, she was not trained to attack but she did have her hackles up, so we were allowed to claim the tax on the dog food and that was the only thing they found in the books. smile

2/ It's early afternoon, the dog gets up and indicates she wants out, but she is a bit agitated, so my brother and I go out with her. She sprints round to the back of the hotel where 3 guys are attempting to steal a beer keg containing 50liters of beer. One guy manages to get over the wall and runs away chased and caught by my brother, one guy gets caught in the barbwire and I get him, and the dog has the other guy backed up against the wall and her nose is about 1" away from his nuts and she is baring her teeth and growling deeply at him … he never moved a muscle, my father took him into custody.

Trust a lab? only so far. That said she could carry an egg in her mouth all day without damaging it.

In the 14 years we had her, she never bit anyone.

But there is usually a reason for a dog to attack and it is usually something to do with the owner.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4491446 - 10/04/19 05:26 PM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: Zamzow]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I would have used lead therapy. Initial dosage of lead - 9mm. Repeat as necessary.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4491450 - 10/04/19 06:15 PM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: letterboy1]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by letterboy1
I would have used lead therapy. Initial dosage of lead - 9mm. Repeat as necessary.

I came really close to using some STEEL therapy with a rather large tool, but once I got that in my hand (after literally fighting him hands to head and paws for like 2 minutes straight!) he "somewhat" backed off, and honestly I didn't want to hurt him...

He was still charging me like crazy and it took many minutes to slowly walk backward to the truck while brandishing the "weapon" at him, but with each charge I "swung" and he seemed to realize the playing field had just changed, and not in his favor...

I'm just lucky he's only like 80% grown, weighs maybe 50 pounds tops. If he'd been just a bit older and bigger I think I would have lost that fight for sure, and BEFORE getting a chance to grab the "weapon"...

#4491451 - 10/04/19 06:22 PM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: Zamzow]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I would have hated having to make that decision, but I'm glad it did not have to come to that. I'm glad you're okay.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4491457 - 10/04/19 06:42 PM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: Zamzow]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

There's a kind of funny "part two" to this story. I had another account like 5 doors down the street next. Been there before, but never met their dog. He's in the backyard this time, and HE'S big, but he's an older dog and wasn't displaying any aggressive behavior (but neither was the OTHER dog!), so I went in.

Closed the gate behind me, but there's no way to latch it from inside the backyard, and nobody told me about a certain piece of wood you have to use (on the gate, not the dog lol) to keep him inside, so after a few minutes working I discover he's gotten OUT!

A rather exasperating moment coming right after the previous incident!

So I go out to the street, he's like 300 feet away, I just act like an owner, "GET back over here", etc, he immediately complies.

But then he goes to the front porch instead of the backyard. I'm sitting there urging him back to the gate and he's looking all confused at me and the front door repeatedly...

I then realized he's been down this road before - he thought the next step was his "Get your butt in the house" punishment! Had to pull him by the collar a bit but he got the idea quick and returned himself back to the yard...

I was really glad this whole thing happened, because if any crap comes from the OTHER dog owner like "Not MY dog, your WORKER must have did something wrong" I can say "I dealt with your neighbor's escaped dog 10 minutes later with zero problems"...

Then the NEXT house had a crazy dog story - dude was warning me to keep my eyes peeled because a freaking MOUNTAIN LION had just killed his neighbors dog the day before!

#4491725 - 10/06/19 04:23 PM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: Zamzow]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

I used to install cable. A guy had a dog in his apartment. I asked him to put the dog in a room and he said, "Don't worry, he doesn't bite." Dog walked over to me calm as anything. Got up to my left leg and bit me. Not viciously or anything, but it drew blood.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4491743 - 10/06/19 06:29 PM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: Zamzow]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

If they weren't meant to bite you you wouldn't be made out of meat.

#4491744 - 10/06/19 06:58 PM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: Zamzow]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Friend's father owned a towing company and I would work there part time in the winter towing cars for snow removal. One night walked into the dispatch office and the old German Shepard latched onto my upper leg. Tthis dog would throw around car tires. It had been sleeping and I had startled him. As he was grabbing my leg I am guessing he recognized me so didn't bite down. He was all lovey dovie afterwards.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4491752 - 10/06/19 08:40 PM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: Zamzow]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

I Luv Dogs. I had a German Shepard that watched my back. No one could approach me with my back turned within 3 to 4 feet without him getting in the way and growling His nasty habit was Drooling as he growled My 1st wife said that he looked like a fantasy Where Wolf and was all Drool and teeth. I never taught him to do that trick . He just did it. I miss him every day.

Another current dog story that I heard was about a small mix breed dog named Lucy. She , among other problems, had a Heart issue. She would get sick and they would take to the Vet to put her down, but at the last moment she would get a little better so they would wait, It happened 3 times. They now have had the little dog 20 years,

#4491807 - 10/07/19 08:24 AM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: KraziKanuK]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Friend's father owned a towing company and I would work there part time in the winter towing cars for snow removal. One night walked into the dispatch office and the old German Shepard latched onto my upper leg

Sleep startle; very prevalent in Greyhounds. Many hapless new owners to the breed have been nipped inadvertently startling a Greyhound from sleep, especially as they tend to sleep with eyes open! I was lucky, sitting down on the sofa startling a seemingly awake Maisie who just flew over the back of said sofa bringing down some sections of vertical blind.
Strange animals, Greyhounds, having adopted an ex-racer and fostered a few, what with their odd habits and unique physiology I'm sure they are actually aliens.

Here is Maisie asleep. "Not dead. just resting".
[Linked Image]

#4491808 - 10/07/19 09:25 AM Re: Dog owners: Ditch the "Not MY dog" attitude NOW. [Re: BD-123]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by BD-123
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Friend's father owned a towing company and I would work there part time in the winter towing cars for snow removal. One night walked into the dispatch office and the old German Shepard latched onto my upper leg

Sleep startle; very prevalent in Greyhounds. Many hapless new owners to the breed have been nipped inadvertently startling a Greyhound from sleep, especially as they tend to sleep with eyes open! I was lucky, sitting down on the sofa startling a seemingly awake Maisie who just flew over the back of said sofa bringing down some sections of vertical blind.
Strange animals, Greyhounds, having adopted an ex-racer and fostered a few, what with their odd habits and unique physiology I'm sure they are actually aliens.

I heard from somewhere that greyhounds & similar dogs are slightly strange in that they bond more-or-less equally with all family members, while other dogs like Huskies etc will bond primarily with one member. I don't know what the range is across all dogs but those seem to be the main outliers on each end of the range.

Nice pic by the way, I'm glad you posted it, I had no idea about this weird aspect of greyhounds smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.