Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
#4490715 - 09/27/19 04:16 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Still have the big boot. That is can't post tho warning is 70%.

Last edited by KraziKanuK; 09/27/19 04:28 PM.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4490750 - 09/28/19 07:23 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
I hit NineLine up on reddit. If I can be unbanned surely it's worth contacting Norm for consideration mate

#4490824 - 09/29/19 04:54 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

I have a ban that will never be lifted. Matt Wagner had one of his tantrums cuz I told the truth about disparaging remarks he said about the community. On a personal phone call I had with him.

#4490847 - 09/29/19 07:15 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by Tom_Weiss

with 33k members it seems hoggit has become an alternative to more traditional forums like ours, it is an interesting trend although I for obvious reasons prefer forums hosted by websites.

Sadly, traditional forums are dying. Reddit and other types of social media have eaten away at forums. I can't think of any new forums that are doing well. The forums that still see a lot of traffic got started over a decade ago. Most games don't even have forums any more and many developers have been closing forums and opening official reddits or use Twitter to dish out info. I think this approach is entirely inferior and the discussion and community quality is nowhere near as good as a proper forum.

But the younger generation has little to no exposure to forums so as time goes they will fade further. Which is disappointing as I see it as regressive.

#4490851 - 09/29/19 08:12 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
usafmtl Offline
Space Cadet Zircon
usafmtl  Offline
Space Cadet Zircon

OH
Have I mentioned that I wish they would fix A2A missiles?

Digital Storm Lumos
Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X (8-Core) (Boost Up to 4.0 GHz)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz G.SKILL TridentZ (RGB Light Bar)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (250GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 4: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 860 EVO)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler
#4490852 - 09/29/19 08:32 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Flogger23m]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted by Flogger23m
Originally Posted by Tom_Weiss

with 33k members it seems hoggit has become an alternative to more traditional forums like ours, it is an interesting trend although I for obvious reasons prefer forums hosted by websites.

Sadly, traditional forums are dying. Reddit and other types of social media have eaten away at forums. I can't think of any new forums that are doing well. The forums that still see a lot of traffic got started over a decade ago. Most games don't even have forums any more and many developers have been closing forums and opening official reddits or use Twitter to dish out info. I think this approach is entirely inferior and the discussion and community quality is nowhere near as good as a proper forum.

But the younger generation has little to no exposure to forums so as time goes they will fade further. Which is disappointing as I see it as regressive.

I agree - it is a bad trend.

#4490873 - 09/30/19 07:21 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: usafmtl]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by usafmtl40

it is being worked on. I believe that is mentioned by Nick in the link posted by Oden

#4490891 - 09/30/19 01:26 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
cdelucia Offline
cdelucia  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
"Being worked on" is cold comfort indeed - ED has been "working on" the AIM-120 for at least 5 years now nope

#4490931 - 09/30/19 07:52 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Winfield]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Winfield

it is being worked on. I believe that is mentioned by Nick in the link posted by Oden

I asked Chizh recently about this for the AIM-120s and his response was this:

"We have in plan the new aerodynamic with new INS and seeker that will be modeled much more detailed. But it is plan for next year."

I believe right now they are working on Ballistic Missiles FM.

#4490937 - 09/30/19 09:26 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
Viper mini-update:

Hey everyone,

To get you prepared for the release of our F-16C sometime in early autumn 2019, we are making available an early, work-in-progress draft of it’s Early Access Guide. This is being prepared by “Bunyap” and he’s doing a wonderful job (he is also creating the interactive training missions)!
As we push to release, he will be further updating it and continue to update it during the development of our Viper. Please note that if you don’t see an item in the guide that you expect at release, it mostly likely because the item is still in work and too early to write it up for the guide.

You can find it here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/viper_early_access_guide_en/

We hope you enjoy it!

Thanks,
Wags

#4490940 - 09/30/19 10:32 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: NineLine]  
usafmtl Offline
Space Cadet Zircon
usafmtl  Offline
Space Cadet Zircon

OH
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN
Originally Posted by Winfield

I asked Chizh recently about this for the AIM-120s and his response was this:

"We have in plan the new aerodynamic with new INS and seeker that will be modeled much more detailed. But it is plan for next year."

I believe right now they are working on Ballistic Missiles FM.

Bad ass! Thank you for the info....

Digital Storm Lumos
Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X (8-Core) (Boost Up to 4.0 GHz)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz G.SKILL TridentZ (RGB Light Bar)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (250GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 4: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 860 EVO)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler
#4490941 - 09/30/19 10:44 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
And a new vid.

Last edited by SiThSpAwN; 10/01/19 01:15 AM.
#4490953 - 10/01/19 01:14 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
And another...

#4490960 - 10/01/19 02:01 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
Thank you for posting these.

It's pretty nice to have someone "in the know" around here.

My wallet is currently closed, I wouldn't bother even try to express it at ED forums, but here are a few hints at how to reopen it, hope it may help:

1/F/A 18 needs a ground radar and a working air to air TWS mode. I pre ordered the F/A18 despite my history with ED (customer since Flanker 2.5), but took an oath not to buy anything any more until its state of completion is satisfying.

2/current level of AI comms is not satisfying, AWACS cannot guide an intercept at all, does not manage landing traffic, is very poor at managing take-off traffic, AI wingmen can't say their fuel level any more precisely than "bingo", use afterburner regardless of mission fuel requirements, are very poor at comunicating their actions regarding player or ennemies.

3/very poor 3D models remaining in their early 2000s quality. Just browse the aircaft and you'll see the shocking difference between the sold aircraft modules and those neglected models. I don't ask that they are 100% on par, but on 75% quality at minnimum, while I currently rate at 10 to 20%.

4/very old bugs game breaking never fixed, like the GBU24 that does not guide, the direct impact necessary even to kill a truck with a 1000Lbs bomb, for example. Net code still bug ridden, my RIO cannot communicate with awacs most of the time, host see refueling aircraft with basket extended when clients don't (and game considers it retracted for refuelling ops), for example. I don't even report bugs officially since I rate ED's will too low to fix bugs.

5/optimization. I cannot play on persian gulf with any less than 32Go of RAM. I have hundreds of games, some old some pretty recent, every one of them offers a good gaming experience with 8Gb, very few benefit of 16Go, and ZERO need more. I bought 24Go in addition to my satisfying 8Go ONLY for DCS persian gulf map, this is unacceptable for most people, and I can't recommand the game to anyone but the most hardcore fan for this very reason. The guys I lfy with (small party of 6 to 10) all had the same experience.

6/pricing of modules. I have no trouble myself investing in a 70$ module, thanks to a well paying job, but I can't help feeling this is very overpriced comparing to other sims, and again it is very hard to recommend the game to new players with such a price. New aircraft modules should not be more than 40$, maps should be free in order to not fracture the online community (but I guess up to 10$ could be viable), and sales at 50 up to 75% should occur every year, starting two years after said module has been on sale at full price, be it preorder or not. If the company can't do prices like this I'm afraid its consumer base will dry sooner or later. There should be more maps pretty soon to satisfy the need for novelty, I may add. Currently there are only two military sims producers I can think of, so the competition is not too harsh, however bad management could lead to both die. 1C was smart enough to ask 777 to manage their product to something viable only a on the edge of collapsing, ED should very soon think of it before it's too late, current seduction operation may prove unsufficient.

Anyway, thanks for venturing again into hostile skies, and good luck to ED, wish you success, just not with my money at the moment.

#4490974 - 10/01/19 03:57 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: rollnloop.]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
You bet, want to try and see if I cant make it work over here this time, so we can give it a shot.

So let me take a swing at your questions.

1) Our big boss Nick Grey commented on the ground radar over at hoggit, he said this "TWS is being worked on. AGR is not being worked on at the moment as this function is rarely used operationally IRL as it lights up the ac to SAM threat. It is internally considered secondary to gameplay but I confirm that it will be done and is in the pipeline.". So right now TWS is a higher priority than A2G radar, but both are coming. It has affected development on the Viper as well, as far as gameplay vs development, its why you could very well see a working TGP on the release of Early Access.

2) Duly noted. I know after carrier comms is done (hope you have seen the vid on that) ATC comms and such is planned, even looking at separate updates for era-specific comms, obviously as important as it is a big task.

3) AI model updates are currently ongoing, the goal is to get them close to equal that of player aircraft, but such detail takes time, this is shared with models for new modules, updating already released modules like the A-10C and the Black Shark, so its something being done, but its a slow go, so yes, there are some pretty old tired looking models, but it is planned to get them all updated. Not fast enough for everyone, but in process.

4) We are switching to a new bug tracking system, this is making us look at some older bugs, as well as better tracking and managing of new ones. GBU24, I will need to check. Ground vehicle concerns should be addressed with the new damage model, once it's added for WWII, it will move to all aspects of the sim, the ground units need it badly. Cant comment on RIO issues, as I am assuming you mean the F-14, refuelling is supposed to get a revamp, but honestly, I am not sure where that is right now, I will check. I suggest you reconsider the bug reporting, we have been working very hard, especially on user-reported bugs to acknowledged and track them. I know it can be super frustrating though, so I am not gonna try and convince you otherwise. If you have made a report and you want me to look at it, I never mind a PM or hit me on discord, or whatever.

5) while I won't lie and say I wouldn't recommend anything short of 32 to anyone, I know many people playing with 16 and having a good time, 8 is just too little now. Video Ram is also important. With object counts, on the maps themselves as well as mission added units, then them all doing something, through in complex FMs, etc. There is a lot going on. Optimization is always going on, but also, the more people want, the more going on, the more demand for systems, look at different settings like draw distances and preload settings to help here too. As I said, I know many with 16 that say they have no issues at all with PG and other maps.

6) Pricing is always based on the costs to produce the modules, the Hornet and the Viper being a huge manpower effort to bring together. Other modules can be less, FC3 even less. As for sales, we do quite a number of sales over the year. Maps are quite a lot of work as well, as such it wouldn't be realistic for ED to give them away, maybe as the number of maps climbs, it would be an idea to look how this type of DLC is managed and made available, but right now this way of selling them is the best way for the business, with the core game free, and all updates and such to that free, DLC is the only way to keep the lights on. Its always going to be a balance of free content vs DLC, we do our best for the company and making sure it's affordable for everyone.

I hope that answers some of your concerns, I am sure not all of them in the way you would prefer, but I am also passing along concerns to the team from the community, monthly actually. So I dont mind passing along these, and feel free to ask me to expand on anything here, mass question answering limits my answer length, so maybe you want to hear more.

Thanks!
NineLine

Originally Posted by rollnloop.
Thank you for posting these.

It's pretty nice to have someone "in the know" around here.

My wallet is currently closed, I wouldn't bother even try to express it at ED forums, but here are a few hints at how to reopen it, hope it may help:

1/F/A 18 needs a ground radar and a working air to air TWS mode. I pre ordered the F/A18 despite my history with ED (customer since Flanker 2.5), but took an oath not to buy anything any more until its state of completion is satisfying.

2/current level of AI comms is not satisfying, AWACS cannot guide an intercept at all, does not manage landing traffic, is very poor at managing take-off traffic, AI wingmen can't say their fuel level any more precisely than "bingo", use afterburner regardless of mission fuel requirements, are very poor at comunicating their actions regarding player or ennemies.

3/very poor 3D models remaining in their early 2000s quality. Just browse the aircaft and you'll see the shocking difference between the sold aircraft modules and those neglected models. I don't ask that they are 100% on par, but on 75% quality at minnimum, while I currently rate at 10 to 20%.

4/very old bugs game breaking never fixed, like the GBU24 that does not guide, the direct impact necessary even to kill a truck with a 1000Lbs bomb, for example. Net code still bug ridden, my RIO cannot communicate with awacs most of the time, host see refueling aircraft with basket extended when clients don't (and game considers it retracted for refuelling ops), for example. I don't even report bugs officially since I rate ED's will too low to fix bugs.

5/optimization. I cannot play on persian gulf with any less than 32Go of RAM. I have hundreds of games, some old some pretty recent, every one of them offers a good gaming experience with 8Gb, very few benefit of 16Go, and ZERO need more. I bought 24Go in addition to my satisfying 8Go ONLY for DCS persian gulf map, this is unacceptable for most people, and I can't recommand the game to anyone but the most hardcore fan for this very reason. The guys I lfy with (small party of 6 to 10) all had the same experience.

6/pricing of modules. I have no trouble myself investing in a 70$ module, thanks to a well paying job, but I can't help feeling this is very overpriced comparing to other sims, and again it is very hard to recommend the game to new players with such a price. New aircraft modules should not be more than 40$, maps should be free in order to not fracture the online community (but I guess up to 10$ could be viable), and sales at 50 up to 75% should occur every year, starting two years after said module has been on sale at full price, be it preorder or not. If the company can't do prices like this I'm afraid its consumer base will dry sooner or later. There should be more maps pretty soon to satisfy the need for novelty, I may add. Currently there are only two military sims producers I can think of, so the competition is not too harsh, however bad management could lead to both die. 1C was smart enough to ask 777 to manage their product to something viable only a on the edge of collapsing, ED should very soon think of it before it's too late, current seduction operation may prove unsufficient.

Anyway, thanks for venturing again into hostile skies, and good luck to ED, wish you success, just not with my money at the moment.

#4490976 - 10/01/19 04:34 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Can you ask Nick if he thinks that AA radar isn't seen by SAM systems?
If he do think it does, ask him if all Hornets fly blind to hide from SAM umbrella.

#4490982 - 10/01/19 05:34 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
Thanks for taking the time for this detailed answer.

As theOden points out, any reason to postpone ground radar will be hard to get accepted. Obviously using radar exposes one to any detection system, but it's too much of an asset in many a situation (especially against moving ground targets, to this very player, in falcon BMS) to be postponed any longer. Postponing it for 20 years makes consumer thinks ED is incompetent in simulating air to ground radar, and it's quite bad for business.

I'm quite satisfied with the other answers, but I'll open again my wallet based on what's in the game, not promises, as you may have guessed already.

I'll add that caucasus plays OK with 16Go, even with 8 for some players, and probably occasionnally PG will work with 16Go on some systems, but needing 32Go on most.

I'll throw this with little hope, but is there any intent to use a less outdated programming language than lua at some point ? It could help with optimization.

#4490983 - 10/01/19 06:02 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: theOden]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
Originally Posted by theOden
Can you ask Nick if he thinks that AA radar isn't seen by SAM systems?
If he do think it does, ask him if all Hornets fly blind to hide from SAM umbrella.

I think its what brings the most gameplay returns, they feel other things are better to bring first. That is not to say A2G radar isnt being worked on in some capacity, only that it's not the highest on the priority list currently.

#4490984 - 10/01/19 06:07 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: rollnloop.]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
Thanks for taking the time for this detailed answer.

As theOden points out, any reason to postpone ground radar will be hard to get accepted. Obviously using radar exposes one to any detection system, but it's too much of an asset in many a situation (especially against moving ground targets, to this very player, in falcon BMS) to be postponed any longer. Postponing it for 20 years makes consumer thinks ED is incompetent in simulating air to ground radar, and it's quite bad for business.

I'm quite satisfied with the other answers, but I'll open again my wallet based on what's in the game, not promises, as you may have guessed already.

I'll add that caucasus plays OK with 16Go, even with 8 for some players, and probably occasionnally PG will work with 16Go on some systems, but needing 32Go on most.

I'll throw this with little hope, but is there any intent to use a less outdated programming language than lua at some point ? It could help with optimization.

A2G radar is in works, it's not postponed or any such thing, but with a smaller team, priorities are made, things like TWS are currently higher on the list.

I have 32 myself, I know there are a few people I have talked to on discord and other places that say 16 works just fine on PG, so there may be more fine-tuning you can look at. Ask around, some people might have some tips or tricks for you.

We are currently looking at and working at Vulkan and better multi-processor support among other things.

#4490985 - 10/01/19 06:40 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: rollnloop.]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

it's too much of an asset in many a situation (especially against moving ground targets, to this very player, in falcon BMS) to be postponed any longer.

The thing is, the depiction of GM and GMT modes in BMS is really buffed. If AG modes worked as well as they do in BMS, there would be almost no need at all to carry a TGP, at least when using GPS guided PGMs. There's a reason that engineers came up with SAR, and that reason is that with fighter radar antennae being as small as they are, resolution without SAR is really bad.

Things are different with the Hornets SEA mode though, as that is where AG radar should work quite well. There's even a Harpoon mode that is dependent on the radar.

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.