Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4490597 - 09/26/19 01:12 AM Just for Laughs  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I bought a disk, very sizeable physical book, and keyboard/button layout on eBay for a whole $14.00. Sure, I can access all this stuff on-line, but there is something to be said for holding a book in one's hands as opposed to reading the same thing on-line; Same goes for the keyboard layout.

New-bought Disk has the visible logo on the Mustang aircraft of "Sweet Sue".. Disk says Win 95/Microprose 1998.

Disk of EAW bought long ago came without any sort of book or keyboard payout. Later disk says Infogames, and Win 95/98, 2002, I reckon this disk is a different version than the one I just acquired.. Not sure of the specific version of either disk. Of course, I can apply on-line patches as desired.

So, what versions of the game do I have on OEM disk?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4490599 - 09/26/19 03:07 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

V1.0 with a 1.2 patch included.
That disk should have the manual and qucik keys in pdf format. It should also have the "art-kit"
The manual and installer text was changed to reflect Infogrames. Not sure if the installer is the exact same one as Microprose or if they just redid it.
I think the manual has corrections in it.

#4490607 - 09/26/19 10:48 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
If itis indeed an origional Microprose CD which was released Oct.21,1998 it won't have the patch which was released August 1999,,I have 4 cd's all with the infograms logo on the right side and only one has the 1.2 patch..Some where in the vault ,,can't find it..I have a first edition Microprose cd bought in Florida the week of release when they were stocking it at Electronics Boutique If you look on the face of the cd see if there's an Infograms logo there

Russ
Semper Fi
#4490610 - 09/26/19 12:09 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
I still have my original 1999 Microprose EAW box with disk and that 1/2" thick real paper players manual. Those were the days smile

#4490685 - 09/27/19 04:03 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: Moggy]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
Same here Moggy. I ran out and bought my copy the day it was released and have warm memories of it. Still have the full box set in my bookcase. clapping

#4490694 - 09/27/19 10:42 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
That was half the joy of a new sim back in the day,,to have a printed manual to kick back and read after firing it up for a quick look..And a nice key card ..I hate reading PDF files especially if the manual is close to 100 pages..My EAW manual is lost in the sands of time But stilll have the original key card

Russ
Semper Fi
#4490768 - 09/28/19 10:26 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
Weird_Crapolla Offline
Hotshot
Weird_Crapolla  Offline
Hotshot

St Barth
Hi,

On the page 258 I read
Microprose
Made in The UK
Microprose LTD The Ridge Chipping Sodbury , Sout Glos BS37 6BN MP193 300 MANR
1998 Microprose Software Inc

thumbsup

Flying is the perfect vocation for a man who wants to feel like a boy, but not for one who still is.
Latest upgrades for EAW at Mr Jelly attic
EAW Encyclopedia
https://www.mediafire.com/file/98kfnmmxfyfa0x8/EAW.rar/file
Unrar and use the index file
#4490772 - 09/28/19 11:28 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Darn Gus good to see you my friend been awhile

Russ
Semper Fi
#4490796 - 09/29/19 08:32 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: Weird_Crapolla]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Weird_Crapolla
Chipping Sodbury

There's an address.

Could only be bettered by Pratt's Bottom.

#4490951 - 10/01/19 01:03 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

As an aside, I found my Crimson Skies game to finally be able to enable all its' features with a modern Gfx card. With Very capable Win 7 machine, and Nvidia 730 Gfx card, the game was visually hum-drum; Some key Gfx features were not accessible. The Win 7 machine was far more capable of playing CS than any vintage machine.

With a FAR better Win 10 computer, with a vastly better Gfx card, the remaining features of this 2000 vintage game were finally accessed, and it is visually stunning.

Now, I don't know if any particular game will have its full Gfx capabilities activated with any particular Gfx card, but I can certainly say that Crimson Skies looks a whale of a lot better with a modern Gfx card. Night and Day.

My Win 7 computer is FAR in advance of what the original CS game required , In every respect. The Win 10 computer is almost cutting edge. Even so, the difference, as I see it, is in the Gfx card, at least in playing Crimson Skies. CS fails to reveal full potential with Nvidia 730 Gfx card (which is wildly in advance of Gfx cards available in 2000) , but enables all features with Nvidia 2060 Gfx card. That's a HUGE genernational Gfx card jump, but the results speak for themselves.

So, my friends, at least as far as the ancient Crimson Skies game goes (and perhaps other games), GFX cards DO make a difference; In the case of (at least) CS, a HUGE difference.

As to whether modern GFX cards make a difference with other, older, games is a question unto itself. With respect to more modern games, the answer must depend on the individual game, but since there are many games, the general trend to be more demanding, the answer must be in favor of more modern GFX cards.

In sum, consider how your Gfx cards might be upgraded, and also work with your computer in mind. I did a Head-to-Head comparison on my win 7 and Win 10 computers with ancient Crimson skies as the test vehicle. Game played the same, as should be expected, but the Win 10 computer/modern Gfx card allowed the inherent visual features within the game to to be exploited. The only functional difference between the two computers, as far as this ancient game is concerned, is the Gfx card.

In most instances, the Gfx card upgrade, as allowed within your particular Operating System/Computer, will be far less a hassle than moving to an altogether different different Opsys.

ETA: It occurs to me that some users may be incrementally augmenting their older computers, since there may not be much room for improvement.

When I upgraded to a vastly better Win 10 computer, vice my not-so-bad Win 7 computer, I noticed that various Gfx features were enabled on the newer computer. Exactly why this was so remains a bit of a mystery. Was it the better computer CPU? More RAM? Much better Gfx card? Don't know.

In some games, the combination of advanced features allows the enabling of features within the game that were formerly inaccessible. Some games may not show such improvements. Crimson Skies certainly allowed vast Gfx improvements. Other games will need investigation.

The point to all this rambling is that the older computers used by many flyers might not allow them to upgrade to a sufficient degree to see any improvement.

The older computers have their limits, as I very well know, vis-à-vis my Win 7 computer; It is maxxed-out in all respects, and does surprisingly well, all things considered. Upgrading to a more modern computer, even while using an older OpSys, like Win 7, should allow significant upgrades that just might transform your visual experience.

The more modern computer will likely allow a more modern, faster, CPU, more RAM, and provide the ability to use a more modern Graphics card whose capabilities far exceed those of the Gfx card one is currently using. I have no idea whether EAW, in particular, will allow any Gfx features to be "unlocked" with a better computer/better Gfx card. However, the frame rates are almost guaranteed to increase.

NOT asking anyone to take the major leap to Win 10, although that is the future of gaming, IMHO. What I'm saying, in a roundabout way, is that upgrading your computer, even if using a Win 7 Opsys, to play vintage games, might be a very good idea.

FWIW, on my Win 10 machine, I have 2 x 2Tb SSD drives. Master is Win 10, and Slave is a complete Win 7 clone from my Win 7 computer. I have zero problems running most games installed on the Slave drive right through my modern Gfx card; This set-up "seems" to bypass Win 10, AFAIK It works. IOW, Start Win 10 computer, go to "My computer", select Win 7 "Slave Drive", Select a given game within the Slave Drive, and launch it. Works, using new Gfx card, with all the improvements accruing to such.

Submitted for your consideration.

Last edited by RIBob; 10/03/19 12:41 AM.
#4491213 - 10/03/19 12:33 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Added content to previous post.

#4491372 - 10/04/19 02:23 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

The more modern computer will likely allow a more modern, faster, CPU, more RAM

Y2k era software can not use more then one core of a CPU or more then 2 Gigs of memory unless it was specificly instructed to use it in the code. Or, like DosBox, you use a wrapper to dumb down your computer. Pre Y2k era, the OS mindset was that we could never need numbers greater then xxxx. DX10 was to force you into Win7 and above.

Multi-Thread requires a compiler flag in VS6. Though, a single core of a modern CPU is still faster then Y2k.

2 Gigs is the limit for a signed (int32) 32 bit number. I had to write a patch for Panzer Elite so people with Graphic cards with more then 2 Gigs of memory could play it. It was a simple bit flag that ignores all your memory above 2 Gigs.

The advantage to Win10 is that they placed wrappers into DX11 to replace the functions that they discontinued supporting in DX10 (this backfired on them for retro gaming). Better said, they reinstalled the functions that they removed to force Win7 upon us and tweaked them to optimize hardware changes, so your current hardware creates a speed advantage. I believe DX9c was the last that had native support for DX5. EAW started life under DX5.

So yes, I guess that DX11 is better then Dx9, but DX10 is still unusable for retro gaming. And, M$ can do the same to you again.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4491374 - 10/04/19 02:45 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Your CPU and GPU are one of the dumbest things on the planet. It only understands a yes or no question (assembly language). It's saving grace is that it continues to have more Y/N possibilities added by adding more switches to the process flow (bit, byte, int, int64, etc).

My intent is not to cause trouble, but to make you think. When the steam ship was invented, did the raft become a concept that should be abandoned?

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 10/04/19 02:50 AM.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4491599 - 10/05/19 07:44 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

No problems, Aldo. I agree with everything you've said, so far.

Now, that said, let's take the case of a game made circa 2000-2003, called Crimson Skies. A fun, semi-arcade flight sim, unless one dials up all the GFX settings, and Realism/Difficulty settings. Then it is a little more than "Semi-Arcade". But I digress.

It appears (Hell, I have done it) that I can have an old (2000) original version of Crimson Skies, apply the widely available and essential Official patch to it, and then update it with the installation of a single[/I ]downloaded patch/mod (Crimson Skies Widescreen) to run on Win 10, and in full native resolution of one's monitor, as opposed to the very limited original resolution.

The point to this is that with a modern computer, using a modern GFX card, some formerly un-accessible Gfx features became available within the [I]ancient
CS game, which features transform the visual aspect of the game. These features were formerly inaccessible on my Win 7 Computer, which is presumably similar to the Win 7 computers used by many players of games such as EAW. Details of both computers on request.

So, using this as an example (and who knows how many more there might be) I submit that upgrading one's computer (not necessarily one's Opsys) might be something to consider. Fundamentally, one needs to upgrade one's Gfx card, and upgrading the computer is the simplest way to do so, and may be the only way to do so in some instances.

I do believe that any games that are not easily played on Win 10 are doomed, eventually, but that is simply my belief. It is all well and good to have a "legacy' computer, using, say, an older Opsys to run one's games. But what is one's Plan "B" when the old computer fails--as all computers will eventually do?

As always, my comments are intended to create discussion on whither all the variants of EAW are headed. I hope that all the variants will be playable on modern Opsys's, and hopefully gain an ever-growing number of players.

If not, then the games will die out as the users and/or their computers pass away. I hope that doesn't happen.

Last edited by RIBob; 10/05/19 08:34 PM.
#4491630 - 10/06/19 02:35 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Crimson Skies was made by fan boys of M$. It is no wonder that there code updates well now that M$ has rectified there mistake of abandoning legacy DX. My only point is that the game could have updated well In Win7 and Win8 IF M$ had not tried to force the gaming community into new OS by breaking legacy support.

I do believe that any games that are not easily played on Win 10 are doomed,

I disagree for games who's intellectual property has some value. Linux has done wonders with porting M$ software. The other thought would be what drivers are available for the hardware. I still surf the web with my win98 computer, thanks to an XP emulator.

But then again, I am now forced to pay a surcharge on my utility bills because I do not pay them electronically. Society has chosen to abandon old knowledge that created the modern world. This is why I have chosen to ensure what I have learned from almost 40 years of motorcycle repair dies with me. I hope that some time in the future, everything that I was exposed to is as lost as Greek fire. wink yes, I do become more bitter as the world tells me that I am the reason they are not progressing like they think all the worker bees should.

Sorry, the last paragraph was a rant.

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 10/06/19 02:36 AM.

TPA who TWI
#4491717 - 10/06/19 03:41 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'
Your CPU and GPU are one of the dumbest things on the planet. It only understands a yes or no question (assembly language). It's saving grace is that it continues to have more Y/N possibilities added by adding more switches to the process flow (bit, byte, int, int64, etc).

My intent is not to cause trouble, but to make you think. When the steam ship was invented, did the raft become a concept that should be abandoned?

My father, who worked with computers in the 1960s when that expression meant a warehouse full of IBM gear with the current power less than a cheap calculator, always called them "fancy bead frames". It's an attititude I cheerfully continue.

Last edited by Moggy; 10/06/19 03:41 PM.
#4491726 - 10/06/19 04:29 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Crimson Skies was made by fan boys of M$. It is no wonder that there code updates well now that M$ has rectified there mistake of abandoning legacy DX. My only point is that the game could have updated well In Win7 and Win8 IF M$ had not tried to force the gaming community into new OS by breaking legacy support.

I disagree for games who's intellectual property has some value. Linux has done wonders with porting M$ software. The other thought would be what drivers are available for the hardware. I still surf the web with my win98 computer, thanks to an XP emulator.

But then again, I am now forced to pay a surcharge on my utility bills because I do not pay them electronically. Society has chosen to abandon old knowledge that created the modern world. This is why I have chosen to ensure what I have learned from almost 40 years of motorcycle repair dies with me. I hope that some time in the future, everything that I was exposed to is as lost as Greek fire. wink yes, I do become more bitter as the world tells me that I am the reason they are not progressing like they think all the worker bees should.

Concur with all, with some reservations about the rant. While I respect your point of view, Might I point out that allowing your expertise, developed over decades, to vanish will not hurt the "system" against which your rant is directed? Not in the slightest. In fact, a case can be made that allowing such expertise to vanish plays into the "System's" hands.

Again, I respect your point of view, and no offense is intended.

#4491756 - 10/06/19 08:59 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland

I have great sympathy with your rant. However, Ribob has a good point about maintaining your irreplaceable knowledge. When the overly complex utopia our masters are building comes crashing down around their ears, we will need motorbikes again. We're only another Carrington event from complete literal meltdown of our entire informational system, and that's only one foreseeable catastrophe. Goodness knows how many other foreseeables are out there, not to mention the unforeseeables, but the greater the complexity and the narrower the specialisation, the higher the vulnerability.

Moggy, you and your father are right. Computers are just very fast abacuses.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 10/06/19 09:00 PM.
#4491884 - 10/07/19 03:01 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by RIBob

The point to this is that with a modern computer, using a modern GFX card, some formerly un-accessible Gfx features became available within the ancient CS game, which features transform the visual aspect of the game. These features were formerly inaccessible on my Win 7 Computer, which is presumably similar to the Win 7 computers used by many players of games such as EAW. Details of both computers on request.

Which features are you referring to specifically? You are saying that Crimson Skies was written with graphical features that were beyond contemporary hardware? That's pretty visionary of the developers. More likely, your hardware couldn't handle it, but the leading edge of contemporary hardware could. I'm not doubting your observation, just your conclusion.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4491976 - 10/08/19 02:48 AM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

I have joking for 20 years: What killed the Martians ( the people from Mars that populated this planet when there's became uninhabitable.) was there reliance upon technology. When a sun spot destroyed there technology, they did not know how to feed themselves. wink don't get me started on washing your hands every 5 minutes. You need exposure to build anti-bodies.

Pen and paper can exist for an extreme time when oxygen and/or bacteria is limited. The data is visible with the human eye. You do not need a machine to decode the data, well, so to speak. You only need to look at our ancient history. Without the Rosetta stone (spelling?), would we have any clue about ancient Egypt? What would have happened if you needed "special optics" to see the words. Do not run blindly into the future. The future can kill your descendants

SkyHigh,
I think I am too far gone. Society has told me for more then 10 years that I have no value because of my race and gender, unless I work for there goals. In fact, they tell me that I am the cause of all the worlds woes. If I am truly the problem, then why shouldn't I post onto there media that I would rather die then help them in any fashion, even in the smallest way. wink No, I do not own a gun. I will build a zip gun that uses gas expansion to move a projectile, shortly after setting an incindery in the basement of the house I grew up in. After, mother passes. She is the only one that I do not wish to disrespect.

wink yes, I have thought it through too the end game.

Dbond,
I assume he is referring to the hardware features that hardware developers came up with when computer rendering was in it's pre-teen years. When Glide and DX competed head to head on the latest hardware was truly an interesting time.

All,
If you think I am just a conspiracy nut, then simply do the research on how hard it was to convert DX6 code to DX9, circa 2005. PEx would not exist without the help of a brilliant computer science student.

WIsh all of you good. Maybe more GooglyEyes then TWI.

TPA who TWI
#4492044 - 10/08/19 01:18 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Dbond,
I assume he is referring to the hardware features that hardware developers came up with when computer rendering was in it's pre-teen years. When Glide and DX competed head to head on the latest hardware was truly an interesting time.

I was around through all of that, and frankly it's to my point. If there's a feature Crimson Skies had that say could only display on Voodoo cards, but he had a TNT card, then yes, it would not display said feature. But that's my point. The contemporary hardware could display whichever features he is referring to even if his hardware could not. The point RiBob was making, I assume, is that it requires modern cards, 20 years later, to actually get the full graphical goodness out of a game coded in 2000. And that is the point I was questioning. Again, I don't doubt the observation, just the conclusion.

I just read the post he made before that and while I don't really follow the points being made, one that stuck is that a GTX 730 can't do Crimson Skies justice, not just a Voodoo 5 or a TNT Ultra or whatever cards were around in 2000. After reading that post I think I'll just drop it.

Last edited by DBond; 10/08/19 06:53 PM.

#4492104 - 10/08/19 10:54 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: DBond]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond

Dbond,

I was around through all of that, and frankly it's to my point. If there's a feature Crimson Skies had that say could only display on Voodoo cards, but he had a TNT card, then yes, it would not display said feature. But that's my point. The contemporary hardware could display whichever features he is referring to even if his hardware could not. The point RiBob was making, I assume, is that it requires modern cards, 20 years later, to actually get the full graphical goodness out of a game coded in 2000. And that is the point I was questioning. Again, I don't doubt the observation, just the conclusion.

I just read the post he made before that and while I don't really follow the points being made, one that stuck is that a GTX 730 can't do Crimson Skies justice, not just a Voodoo 5 or a TNT Ultra or whatever cards were around in 2000. After reading that post I think I'll just drop it.

Allow me to clarify things; perhaps there is some unintended confusion on my part.

With a very decent Win 7 computer, with all computer features FAR exceeding what was specified by the game mfr as minimum requirements, and running an Nvidia 730 Gfx card I could NOT access some important Gfx features of the Crimson Skies game until I installed the game into my Win 10 computer, using a a reasonably modern Nvidia 2060 Oc Pro Gfx card, along with some free patches which enabled the game to be run on Win 10 system. The same patches work on win 7 systems, IIRC, Search "Crimson Skies "Widescreen"" and you will find the mods/patches needed to run CS in full screen, native resolution, on your modern computer. I don't recall whether the older Nvidia 1030 Gfx card gave visual results I now see with modern Gfx card (Nvidia 2060), and the same can be said of the Nvidia 1050 Gfx card that the new Win 10 computer cane with. I uninstalled the 1050, and installed the 2060 without trying out the 1050.card. vis-à-vis Crimson Skies.

Now, Having said all the previous, the Crimson Skies Game currently allows access to graphics features heretofore not accessible, using the fairly modern Nvidia 2060 OC PRO Gfx card, whereas before, the Nvidia GT 730 GFX card did not allow such features to be available. That is a FACT; and regardless of the system on which the game is run (Win 7 vs Win 10).

Visually, the CS game, having all internal Gfx features being available, is night versus day. I was stunned at the visual difference, as the heretofore unavailable features come into play at every turn of the game play. There is NO comparison between the "usual" form of CS, and the fully enhanced version, played over a modern Gfx card which enables all in-game Gfx features. This difference is something that needs to be seen. I understand the reluctance on the part of some readers to believe my remarks. If you have got CS running on your system, and cannot activate ALL the Gfx options, then you have something to look into. For example, with 730 Gfx card, I would try to enable some Gfx features, within the game, and such choices would be refused by the game. The same choices were successful with the 2060 Gfx card.

I now play CS on Win 10, since it is easier to do, vice other alternatives open to me. After applying the proper patch, mentioned above, CS works perfectly in Win 10, with the exception that some trivial choice screens are located in the upper left of the monitor, and this peculiarity is mentioned in some of the downloading sites. Trivial, as I say, and not a problem. DO dial-up the GFX features, and Difficulty levels. It's not a bad sim at all.

The fundamental point is that One's old computer, or One's old Gfx card might be dis-allowing you some very useful Gfx features that a more modern computer or Gfx card will allow.

I don't say that one needs to buy a new computer; perhaps some intelligent upgrades to your existing computer might serve. I don't say that one needs to change Opsys, although that is open to debate.

What I do say, for a FACT, is that the ancient Crimson Skies game, played on a failrly modern computer/Gfx card, NEVER looked better, as long as all the latent features were finally enabled. I wonder what features other, similar, games might have unlocked using modern Gfx cards and modern computers.

Now, I know this an EAW forum, but my fundamental point is not about Crimson Skies, but is all about encouraging other EAW fans to upgrade their computers and gfx cards.

YMMV.

#4492109 - 10/08/19 11:43 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Hmm, I had CS on Win7 with a GTX 560 and it looked amazing. I used the user made win7 patch (or was it a visat patch) to get it run too.
Now I don't recall the in game graphics settings but I belive they where all enabled.

I havn't looked in years to see if any new user patches poped up, but based on what you (RIBob) your still useing the patch I found too.

Perhaps you can provide some Screenshots on your win10 / rtx2060 video card.
and at some point someone can provide win7 screen shots of the same game maxed out aswell. IDK.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the video control panel for the CS game wasn't used or updated when you ran it on win7. or perhaps the backward compatibility is improved more so on win10.

Either way I'm glad your happy that the game looks spectaculer and your happy with it., Its a great game to fool around with. Even the indian jones type music is cool.

#4492149 - 10/09/19 12:58 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
RIBob you just doubled down, and I think you're wrong, but honestly it does no good to debate it, and it's Crimson Skies for crying out loud. I'll just bow out and say I'm glad the game is looking good for you and you're enjoying it. Fair skies and tailwinds.

#4492526 - 10/11/19 10:09 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: DBond]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond
RIBob you just doubled down, and I think you're wrong, but honestly it does no good to debate it, and it's Crimson Skies for crying out loud. I'll just bow out and say I'm glad the game is looking good for you and you're enjoying it. Fair skies and tailwinds.

I don't mean to sound contentious. Let's re-cap a bit, so that we all understand fully: I used Crimson Skies as an example of an older game which obtained some considerable and unexpected graphics benefits when played on a pretty good modern computer. The fundamental point to all this is that other games might show similar unexpected benefits from careful upgrading of various computer components; Might not, either. Depends on the game, and possibly the level of upgrade required to "unlock" some features.

The exact Gfx features inaccessible to the decent Win 7 machine are "LIGHTING QUALITY", and "SHADOWS". These selections can be accessed from Main Menu screen > "Preferences" > "Video". The Win 7 machine will not allow "Lighting Quality" to be selected at all. The "Shadows" feature can be selected, but does not seem to be applied, because when next accessing the "Video" screen options, it has been de-selected. In all events, all the other Gfx features are maxxed-out. On the Win 10 computer, OTOH, all Gfx menu selections can be selected, and at highest possible level. The result is FAR more visually pleasing (and far more realistic) than the game played on the Win 7 machine. To sum up: If upgrading one's computer "unlocks' some heretofore unavailable features on an old game like Crimson Skies, what possibilities might such upgrading unlock in other games?

But, don't take my word for it. See for yourself. There are free downloads of CS on the internet for those who do not already have a copy. Try to download V1.02 version, which incorporates the MANDATORY, official, V1.02 patch for the game. If your CD is dated "2000" then it probably lacks the V1.02 patch; if it is dated "2000-2003" the V1.02 patch is probably included on the disk . Install the game, and make sure to run the patch.

This site: https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=69314 has 3 things of interest:

1) The official V 1.02 Patch
2) The Crimson Skies "Fix' (CSFix) that allows the game to run on more modern computers.
3) The "Widescreen" patch that allows the native resolution of one's monitor to be used, AND which also contains the "CSFix patch.

This site https://blackjackshangar.blogspot.com/2015/08/crimson-skies-in-windows-10.html has some visual depictions, as well as 2 downloads of interest:

1) A V1.02 COCD version of the game.(I have some hesitation about this; caution suggested)
2) The HD video "fix" for the game. Provides suggestions for CSFix and DGVoodoo methods; from WSGF site.

There are instructions at both of the sites linked above. Download sites for the base game abound, but most are silent on which version of the game they offer (V1.0 vs V1.02). I suggest assuming the first version, and so applying the V1.02 patch as a matter of course.

So, try it for yourself, and see for yourself. You have all the tools necessary to make your own evaluation. Please note that some others have successfully made this transition, and are now playing the game in Win 10, and presumably earlier versions of Windows which were not originally suitable for Crimson Skies. Whether or not your computer ensemble is capable of "accessing" the abovementioned features, well, that remains to be "seen" as it were. If you are so inclined, please report back on whether or not you were able to access the features under discussion. I suspect the Gfx card has the most to do with accessing the "features' discussed here.

Last edited by RIBob; 10/11/19 11:01 PM.
#4492528 - 10/11/19 10:20 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
It may be more appropriate to make a Crimson Skies and Win10 thread. The focus of EAW and Win10 is getting diluted.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4492529 - 10/11/19 10:28 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkEAW
Hmm, I had CS on Win7 with a GTX 560 and it looked amazing. I used the user made win7 patch (or was it a visat patch) to get it run too.
Now I don't recall the in game graphics settings but I belive they where all enabled.

I havn't looked in years to see if any new user patches poped up, but based on what you (RIBob) your still useing the patch I found too.

Perhaps you can provide some Screenshots on your win10 / rtx2060 video card.
and at some point someone can provide win7 screen shots of the same game maxed out aswell. IDK.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the video control panel for the CS game wasn't used or updated when you ran it on win7. or perhaps the backward compatibility is improved more so on win10.

Either way I'm glad your happy that the game looks spectaculer and your happy with it., Its a great game to fool around with. Even the indian jones type music is cool.

Mark, the earliest dates I've seen, going through all the links provided below is 2015. So, your experiences, if they occurred earlier, may not be with the patches/fixes that I've come across.

I have applied the "Widescreen" (all-inclusive) patch to my V1.02 CS games, both on Win 10 and Win 7 machines. The formerly unavailable features only show up on the Win 10 machine-- I am guessing that is due to the Gfx card, but might be wrong.

Will look into posting a screen shot.

ETA: Better than a screen shot, this video appears to show that the "Shadows" feature, at least, is enabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQuHVxlG1Pc

The same series of Crimson Skies vids on youtube also appears to display the same enablement of the feature(s) under discussion.

Last edited by RIBob; 10/12/19 08:24 PM.
#4492536 - 10/11/19 11:12 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: oldgrognard]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
It may be more appropriate to make a Crimson Skies and Win10 thread. The focus of EAW and Win10 is getting diluted.

That's OK by me. I think my primary point (using CS as an example) that seriously upgrading one's computer might have unexpected advantages, has been made clearly enough. I believe that a considerable number players of older games, such as EAW, might benefit considerably from updating their (presumably) older and less-capable machines. That said, I think this topic, has a direct bearing on many EAW users, and players of similar, older games.

But, if you think the thread belongs elsewhere, I have no objection to moving it. It will be a pity to lose the feedback from people trying to see if their computers will access the features mentioned above, though.

#4492541 - 10/11/19 11:22 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: RIBob]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
No need to move it. As you said you were making a valid point. It can certainly remain as is.

But it is turning into something else than EAW.

I just suggest that a separate thread about Crimson Skies might be appropriate. Maybe in the Air Combat - General forum.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4492543 - 10/11/19 11:32 PM Re: Just for Laughs [Re: oldgrognard]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
No need to move it. As you said you were making a valid point. It can certainly remain as is.

But it is turning into something else than EAW.

I just suggest that a separate thread about Crimson Skies might be appropriate. Maybe in the Air Combat - General forum.

OK, I will make a separate thread in the forum you suggest, using an adapted version of one of my posts above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.