Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4490436 - 09/24/19 03:36 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Haggart]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"They simply haven't found us yet"

No, see...that's something else. I'm not talking as to wether there is life on another rock, out there. I'm talking about the ones who are supposedly here. The spaceships, the little men. Close encounters of the third and fourth kind.
My common sense tells me that there is some sort of life in the great expanse of the Universe. I simply question as to whether or not they are visiting us.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4490437 - 09/24/19 03:40 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Haggart]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

They simply haven't found us yet. The universe is a big place to put it mildly.

Sure, if you're looking at the Universe from within. But what if from the outside we're a nice toasty waffle on some Blarzorg's plate, covered in delectable jamberry syrup, waiting to be eaten? Going from point A to point B could be as simple as rolling past the tonsils and flecking the uvula.

"Those durned Einsteinian speed limits. Surely there's a way around these!" The superstring argued.

"Straight to my dog's belly!" The p-brane concurred.

"You're both wrong," Dr. Witten professed, snatching both the scoundrels betwixt tightening fingers, wringing their innards out over the hot, steaming plate.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 09/24/19 03:41 PM.
#4490441 - 09/24/19 04:18 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Haggart]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Whether there is life, and even intelligent life, somewhere besides Earth (insert intelligent life on Earth joke here) is not dependent on whether these craft are of alien origin. It seems that some people here think that if someone doesn't "believe" that these craft are alien spacecraft, then they don't "believe" in alien life, period. If these craft are built on Earth by modern humans, it doesn't prove that there isn't alien life out there.

I just prefer to follow the evidence to learn something, and not start from a belief and work backwards. So far, we have no reliable evidence of alien life anywhere else, and therefore, of course, no evidence that they have visited Earth. That does not prove that there is no alien life, or that they have not visited Earth, but seeing something we can't immediately explain is also not proof of either being true.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4490468 - 09/24/19 10:29 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Arthonon]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by Arthonon

We have historical evidence of top secret vehicles being revealed long after they were put into use that could do things no one knew about, but we have no evidence of alien visitors at all. Given the choice, I think it's just more logical to go with the Occam's Razor approach.

Do you think a secret could be kept today, like the stealth fighter or Manhattan Project was?

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4490471 - 09/24/19 11:27 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: NH2112]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by NH2112

We have historical evidence of top secret vehicles being revealed long after they were put into use that could do things no one knew about, but we have no evidence of alien visitors at all. Given the choice, I think it's just more logical to go with the Occam's Razor approach.

Do you think a secret could be kept today, like the stealth fighter or Manhattan Project was?

Yes. I'm confident there's stuff out there we know very little, if anything about. I realize it's not exactly the same thing, but the X-37B, while we know of its existence, is quite a mystery as to what it does, exactly. It's a secret that's been kept very well, so far. I'm sure there's stuff we know even less about.

Ken Cartwright

#4490474 - 09/24/19 11:44 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Arthonon]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC

Yes. I'm confident there's stuff out there we know very little, if anything about. I realize it's not exactly the same thing, but the X-37B, while we know of its existence, is quite a mystery as to what it does, exactly. It's a secret that's been kept very well, so far. I'm sure there's stuff we know even less about.

Interesting thread, but I think Ken is spot on.

Look at what men, from a public company, can do today.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/24/a...f-a-new-and-improved-gymnastics-routine/

Now, think about what a government sponsored project with unlimited funds could do.

#4490494 - 09/25/19 08:50 AM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Pooch]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by Pooch
"They simply haven't found us yet"

No, see...that's something else. I'm not talking as to wether there is life on another rock, out there. I'm talking about the ones who are supposedly here. The spaceships, the little men. Close encounters of the third and fourth kind.
My common sense tells me that there is some sort of life in the great expanse of the Universe. I simply question as to whether or not they are visiting us.

I'm not convinced of the whole aliens buzzing us idea either. I'd lean more toward cultural impressions leading the observations instead. Thousands of years ago unexplained phenomena was explained as spirits & gods, a few hundred year s ago unexplained phenomena was explained as God revealing Himself or some saint performing miracles. Today, unexplained phenomena is explained by alien visits. I mean, it's kind of strange that God(s) have more-or-less stopped manifesting, but meanwhile aliens are starting to visit. This is probably more due to us as a species advancing our ideas & concepts than God(s) leaving and aliens arriving.

The sightings are strange to be sure, but at their most basic they are things that look odd and we don't know what they are at all, as monkeys we imprint what we DO know (or imagine we know) to try to explain it. If these oddities are totally outside of our experience as a species there's no real way we can effectively categorise it.

Also bear in mind we now live in a society where almost every person carries a camera around with them at all times, yet credible sightings have not increased to keep up. Faced with unexplainable phenomena we imprint our current cultural archetypes onto them.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4490503 - 09/25/19 11:00 AM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Well said DM!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4490506 - 09/25/19 11:16 AM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Haggart]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Spot on DM!

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4490516 - 09/25/19 12:18 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Thanks for supporting my main point that belief in extra-terrestrial life and belief in a "god" are both based on faith due to the lack of hard empirical evidence. smile

I disagree, since we exist. If one god's existence was known and proven, then the analogous argument would be whether another god exists.

But since we exist, it leaves the realm of faith and enters that of mathematical probability.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4490539 - 09/25/19 03:14 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Haggart]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"But since we exist, it leaves the realm of faith and enters that of mathematical probability."
I don't agree with the "We exist so there must be a god," thought process. Science has shown other reasons for why we probably exist. But that, I think, is for another thread. One that will not be permitted here in Community Hall.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."

#4490541 - 09/25/19 03:22 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Haggart]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Pooch that isn't what I am saying. What I am saying is with god, we have no proof, so to believe requires faith. But humans (and all flora and fauna) exist, so believing other life forms exist isn't a matter of faith, but of probability. To decide that with billions of planets that only one, Earth, has life, seems statistically improbable.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4490543 - 09/25/19 03:26 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Haggart]  
wheelsup_cavu Online tunes
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Online Tunes
Lifer

Corona, California
Hopefully this isn't the end result when we find out...
https://youtu.be/dk01eeKMD_I

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4490547 - 09/25/19 03:41 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: piper]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by piper

Now, think about what a government sponsored project with unlimited funds could do.

Piper and Arthonon, there are limitations. We can fantasize that the Government has some secret program and lab and has creations of incredible nature they've hidden from us, but we must remember that these creations have absolute limitations governed by the laws of physics as we know them. Currently, as we have written the laws and discussed through theory, there is no known way to accomplish some of the things we've observed these craft do. It isn't possible. Aside from the EM Drive, which is incredibly weak, we know no way to produce a reactionless propulsion system, period. The laws as we know them do not allow for this--hell, they don't even allow for the EM Drive(which is still highly debatable that it even works).

So when we observe phenomena doing things our existing laws don't provide for--then what?

Stealth aircraft, mach speed, ramjets and beyond--all of this can be supported by laws and theory. The only thing needed is tech to abuse them. I think these observations, though, are of a craft with technology science as we know it does not allow for yet. To me, that points to potential otherworldly origin. I'm not convinced these are some top secret program. That's too easy of an explanation. A safe one.

If and when we discover for sure that life exists outside our own planet, mankind, this world, everything will change as we know it. Our perception and perspective will forever be altered.

My thought is, if something appears to utilize technology unsupported by science as we know it, then likely it comes from something that understands the Universe better than we do.

p.s. In response to the tracking on radar thing... Either they don't care they are tracked, or they haven't tuned their technology to render their craft invisible to radar. And nothing, not even our own stealth tech, is ever truly "invisible." It is designed in such a way to defeat current technology. See how newer radar technology now is able to see older stealth technology. We aren't vanishing aircraft from the electromagnetic spectrum. If stealth tech isn't tuned to defeat specific bands of radar, it isn't going to work. If they're alien, why would they care about our tech, and if they do, perhaps they were testing it out, hence shadowing military aircraft. In the encounters, notice how sometimes they could detect the craft, while other times they could not. We don't turn our tech on and off. It's on the skin of an aircraft, unless ECM.

This is speculation, of course.

If there weren't limitations, then some of this would be obvious through the laws of physics are they are currently written. Keeping occupants alive inside during sudden shifts of direction and velocity--I can explain that. Moving without propellants or mass shifting thrusters... Well, I can go sci-fi on you, but none of those solutions are supported by existing peer-reviewed science. That kind of science is very hard to hide, no matter who you are, because science is a group effort. Do we have a pocket super genius locked away somewhere? Maybe. But I doubt it.

#4490551 - 09/25/19 04:11 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Pooch]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
"But since we exist, it leaves the realm of faith and enters that of mathematical probability."
I don't agree with the "We exist so there must be a god," thought process. Science has shown other reasons for why we probably exist. But that, I think, is for another thread. One that will not be permitted here in Community Hall.

But do we really know that we exist?

Our ability to prove this is limited by what our eyes, ears, smell, taste and touch tell us. Do we know these senses are real?

For all we know this Universe could be a simulation and we're an algorithm being fed data, and told this data is coming from those senses. As much as we want to believe, "I think, therefore I am," we can never know. A sufficiently advanced civilization would create our artificial world in such a nuanced way that the only way to prove that it was not real was to find a glitch in the system--something that behaved in an impossible, unexplainable manner.

#4490552 - 09/25/19 04:23 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
notice how sometimes they could detect the craft, while other times they could not. We don't turn our tech on and off. It's on the skin of an aircraft, unless ECM.

This was part of what I was thinking back when I first read these articles. IIRC, the aircraft which were detecting these objects all had recent radar/systems upgrades. The old-tech aircraft never detected these things. New did. One of the pilot accounts mentioned that he had tried to make visual on the locked target, and could not. Perhaps I'm amiss here, but I recall something along those lines.

Perhaps these "sightings" are nothing more than radar/sensor tech glitch in the new systems?

With regard to "believing" and aliens and such... One way I think of the issue is down to money/time. How would I spend money/time related to aspects of this topic?

Would I spend money/time to process telescopic data, filtering for possible life-form signals? Yes. This is the likely means by which I think "contact" would be made. On the electromagnetic spectrum, via some binary codification of fundamental (and obvious) mathematical principles, and this done over vast, physically insurmountable distances. While this means does fall into the territory of a "belief" I suppose, it's the most viable pathway based upon what I know to exist.

Would I spend money/time to build a transmitter to send such signals to possible distant observers? Maybe. Hearing a signal can't be done, without a signal having been sent. In my own lifetime, the results of this effort would be total zero, due to the distances and time involved. Whether these signals could ever actually be replied to (and subsequently received by humanity) are IMO a vast doubt. The more likely outcome would be that if it were received by an alien observer, our presences would simply become known to someone who could never make any meaningful action, armed with this knowledge. This outcome could be called exactly the same as simply "believing" that someone had received the signal. Just imagination. Which in itself is a bit self defeating. Surely this is also a consideration an alien race has weighed. If I wouldn't spend money/time to send, would they spend? Which kind of casts doubt on even trying to detect signals in the first place...

Would I spend money/time building an alien landing pad to receive visitors? No.

Would I spend money/time hunting for proof of miracles or deities? No.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4490556 - 09/25/19 04:54 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Haggart]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"Perhaps these "sightings" are nothing more than radar/sensor tech glitch in the new systems?"

No, I'm going to have to call timeout on that one. While there is a danger in wanting to believe something so badly that you grasp for straws whenever you see anything, you don't want to go the other way, either.
Those films did not show glitches in the RADAR system. They were objects. Objects picked up, not only on RADAR, but on SONAR when they dived into the water. They were also clearly seen by the mark 1 eyeball units.
I'm not debating, at all, as to wether these men encountered something. They certainly did. It's what they were, and what their origin is that is debatable.
And DBond. I did seem to misunderstand your post. I see that we actually were in agreement, there.

#4490558 - 09/25/19 05:02 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Pooch]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
"Perhaps these "sightings" are nothing more than radar/sensor tech glitch in the new systems?"

No, I'm going to have to call timeout on that one. While there is a danger in wanting to believe something so badly that you grasp for straws whenever you see anything, you don't want to go the other way, either.
Those films did not show glitches in the RADAR system. They were objects. Objects picked up, not only on RADAR, but on SONAR when they dived into the water. They were also clearly seen by the mark 1 eyeball units.

Ok, then there is more I've not seen. I had not heard of the separate SONAR and visual detection. Thanks.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4490560 - 09/25/19 05:04 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by piper

Piper and Arthonon, there are limitations. We can fantasize that the Government has some secret program and lab and has creations of incredible nature they've hidden from us

OK, let's look at that bolded statement. "We can fatasize that the Government..." So, the government having top secret programs and developing craft with capabilities beyond what has been publicly released is a fantasy, but aliens we've never seen, with powers we can't understand, doing things that make little sense, is more believable? Is that really your supposition?

To continue:

...but we must remember that these creations have absolute limitations governed by the laws of physics as we know them. Currently, as we have written the laws and discussed through theory, there is no known way to accomplish some of the things we've observed these craft do. It isn't possible. Aside from the EM Drive, which is incredibly weak, we know no way to produce a reactionless propulsion system, period. The laws as we know them do not allow for this--hell, they don't even allow for the EM Drive(which is still highly debatable that it even works).

So when we observe phenomena doing things our existing laws don't provide for--then what?

Stealth aircraft, mach speed, ramjets and beyond--all of this can be supported by laws and theory. The only thing needed is tech to abuse them. I think these observations, though, are of a craft with technology science as we know it does not allow for yet. To me, that points to potential otherworldly origin. I'm not convinced these are some top secret program. That's too easy of an explanation. A safe one.

If and when we discover for sure that life exists outside our own planet, mankind, this world, everything will change as we know it. Our perception and perspective will forever be altered.

My thought is, if something appears to utilize technology unsupported by science as we know it, then likely it comes from something that understands the Universe better than we do.

p.s. In response to the tracking on radar thing... Either they don't care they are tracked, or they haven't tuned their technology to render their craft invisible to radar. And nothing, not even our own stealth tech, is ever truly "invisible." It is designed in such a way to defeat current technology. See how newer radar technology now is able to see older stealth technology. We aren't vanishing aircraft from the electromagnetic spectrum. If stealth tech isn't tuned to defeat specific bands of radar, it isn't going to work. If they're alien, why would they care about our tech, and if they do, perhaps they were testing it out, hence shadowing military aircraft. In the encounters, notice how sometimes they could detect the craft, while other times they could not. We don't turn our tech on and off. It's on the skin of an aircraft, unless ECM.

This is speculation, of course.

If there weren't limitations, then some of this would be obvious through the laws of physics are they are currently written. Keeping occupants alive inside during sudden shifts of direction and velocity--I can explain that. Moving without propellants or mass shifting thrusters... Well, I can go sci-fi on you, but none of those solutions are supported by existing peer-reviewed science. That kind of science is very hard to hide, no matter who you are, because science is a group effort. Do we have a pocket super genius locked away somewhere? Maybe. But I doubt it.

I think it is unwise to assume that there is no question that these craft are doing things that are really beyond our understanding of physics. I would say that it's very possible that many of the things that have been seen appear to be more remarkable than they are, due to specific circumstances. What they're doing may not actually be as demanding as they appear. Without more information, I think it's difficult to say, which is why I don't think it makes sense to base an entire explanation on a few, relatively lightly informed observations.

Also, either these craft violate the laws of physics or they don't. If they do, then they must be supernatural in nature, and not bound by our universe's laws, and that would go beyond aliens. If they don't, then someone had to figure out how to build them and work within the laws of physics. It was either humans, or someone else. One of the issues with it being someone else is that it simply adds more things that need to be explained. Instead of saying "even though I can't explain it, there are humans who know things we don't," you have to say "even though I can't explain it, there are aliens. And even though I have no evidence to prove it, they are visiting Earth. And even though I can't explain it, they know things we don't." Without any evidence, why add the extra layers?

Saying it's aliens may seem like the more simple answer, but in reality, it adds a lot of complications that need to be explained.

Ken Cartwright

#4490561 - 09/25/19 05:20 PM Re: The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the Real Deal [Re: Arthonon]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

Also, either these craft violate the laws of physics or they don't. If they do, then they must be supernatural in nature, and not bound by our universe's laws, and that would go beyond aliens.

Not true. This assumes we Humans know everything there is about physics, and we don't.

I know this because...

a) We can't explain what nothing is. What is space? Hint: Nothing is probably something, we just don't know what that is.

b) We can't even unify quantum mechanics with general relativity. We have some really good theory, such as M-Theory, but nothing concrete and provable. Yes, even if the math for string theory works, we know no way to actually observe and test what a string is. #%&*$# that pesky planck length.

Hell, we're still arguing if particle physics is the way to go, and that we're not even sure of, because damnable models are still only models and we can make data look like almost whatever we want to fit into whatever we want. So what's to say we are experts in these laws? We're changing our outlook on things in science terms, all the time. (This is a snails pace, by the way, because that's how science works, but relative to time, pretty fast given how long agriculture has existed, and how exponential advances have become since the 20th century).

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.