Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4490106 - 09/20/19 07:36 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, hope they can help. I searched around the Battlefront boards and found one other thread where someone had a similar message from installing CMSF2, but there had never been a response. So I bumped it and still nada I'm afraid. Have to hope the helpdesk can solve it.

Maybe the download is corrupted in some way. Perhaps try downloading it again?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4490113 - 09/20/19 08:47 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Battlefront is saying they don't see your ticket carrick.

http://community.battlefront.com/to...big-bundle/?tab=comments#comment-1801532

I'm landser over there.

#4490251 - 09/22/19 12:58 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I reinstalled CMBN and CMRT yesterday, so saw again the install process. Not too many ways the install could go wrong I don't think. The one thing that could I suppose is to run the setup exe from within the zip file. Just to be sure, did you extract the compressed files first? I am assuming FB, which I do not own, uses the same process as the other CMx2 titles.

#4490703 - 09/27/19 01:58 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Carrick popped smoke and haven't seen him since. Well, hope you get it running.

I'm in the midst of my semi-annual Combat Mission kick and a couple of days ago I was thinking about picking up Shock Force 2, so browsed about Battlefront's site. I didn't buy it in the end because of the price (US $125 for the big bundle), but it's an encouraging sign that I was considering it. I think I'd like to branch out in to at least one of Combat Mission's modern titles, and the conventional wisdom among long time players is buy Black Sea if you mostly play head to head, and Shock Force if mostly against the AI.

So even though I was thrown back with no losses on my first recon, I'll probably be back for it at some point. It looks really good.

#4493801 - 10/20/19 06:13 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Thanks DBond: I have been posting on a different Board as I played the Game. The people at Battlefront did a good job and gave good advice on getting the game up and running. I was having 2 problems the 1st was the unzipping the files. I was trying to use and older copy of 7 Zip. I switched over to Bandi Zip ( as directed ) and Presto it started right up. The second thing was lack of space on the drive so deleted old un-used programs . I been enjoying the game and I thank all for the quick help. I was looking at SF2 ,but it mentions suburbia fighting not really my thing. Battlefront gave good service and I can get a lot of use out of the product so I will buy again from them.

Last edited by carrick58; 10/20/19 06:18 PM.
#4493902 - 10/21/19 01:52 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, the BFC boys are good blokes it seems. Glad you got it working. I came thisclose to buying either SF2 or CMBS last night but did not. I even considered CMFI. The only thing I did buy was the engine 4 upgrade for CMRT, but I will get another title sooner, or maybe later.

#4494062 - 10/22/19 02:20 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Over the past few weeks or months I've vacillated about buying another Combat Mission title. I keep thinking I'd like to branch out in to the modern titles, either Black Sea or SF2. And there's CMFI too, which intrigues me because I reckon I'll see a lot of elevated terrain, and none of the titles I play really have much of this, and I love combat with varying terrain. And with the new module due to drop soon it's an interesting option. For whatever reason Final Blitzkreig hasn't entered the race. Not sure why, looks good, but I think maybe too samey to justify the cost for me.

The front runner is Shock Force 2. Partly it's due to wanting the modern game (and how new and distinct it would be for me), partly due to my long-time interest and attraction to assymetrical warfare, but mostly due to the fact that it has tons of content. Each time I log on to Battlefront's site I have a look around but can't seem to pull the trigger. So I decided the best way to convince myself that I need SF2 was to try it. So I downloaded the demo and it's fun. I've only messed around with the training mission, and not too successfully at first I might add, but it takes some adjustment from the 1940s doesn't it?

I was critical of BFC for choosing to make SF2 (in this thread) as I think the time and effort could be better spent in other directions, but since I never played SF1 it works out well for me still doesn't it? The big bundle is US $125 which is steep, but you know in the end it will be peanuts per hour. I'll mess around with the demo for a while longer, but I think SF2 is going to get the nod.

#4494243 - 10/23/19 01:24 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well, despite my protests I could resist no longer and bought the SF2 big bundle with all of the modules. I was a little disappointed to see just seven campaigns included, but I will find more in the usual places I am sure. Based on zero evidence I assumed that with it being so popular and with so much time to percolate, not to mention the whole redux version that I'd find twenty or more campaigns included.

Campaigns however are still a bit down the line as I adjust to the new battlefield. I played a few QBs, meeting engagements and a defend mission using company sized US Army infantry formations backed by a couple of Bradley's and a M1A1. The drones are cool toys, and infantry have lethal long range AT ability which takes getting used to. Can't wait to have some air support in a battle, that must be awesome.

And eventually I'll be able to work some SF2 campaigns in to the reviews thread to help balance it out a bit as it's all Normandy and East Front so far. Anyone have a recommendation for a good first SF2 campaign?

#4494369 - 10/24/19 03:07 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Man this forum is dead. The whole site is devoid of any kind of discussion unless it's politics, movies, music or sci-fi. Just an unending series of semi-related comments. And aside from myself and few posts by Carrick, there's been nothing in this sub-forum for months. Sad. I keep posting though, but maybe I just need to stick to the BFC boards. With folks there actually in to Combat Mission it's lively and the discussions are interesting and in-depth. Here at SimHQ it's all gone. There was a time when it was different.

But for now I'll keep posting, and I want to bring up the fact that I seemed to have once again misjudged the campaign availability for a CM title. I reasoned that with SF2 so popular, and the fact that it's been through two releases not to mention being twelve years old, that I'd find a lot of campaigns. Nope. The Scenario Depot has a grand total of zero SF2 campaigns, though I found to my relief that the SF1 campaigns work, even if they are missing the new features and haven't been reworked for SF2.

I had a look about and chose one for SF1 called Forging Steel. The opening mission is a probe with a recon platoon, a few Bradleys and backed by a platoon of M1s. Really nice map that evokes the Syrian landscape, and a manageable force. Honestly, this composition isn't much different from what I put together when I play QBs, although I usually go for a company of grunts, but it's just the initial probe, I'm sure it ramps up a bit after.

Did my terrain analysis, and formulated my plan and moved out. I was really in to it, but soon I started thinking that the enemy seemed fanatical. They didn't break, didn't run. There is an extensive trench/ditch network all over the map, and attempting to dislodge these troops seemed exceedingly difficult. One lousy F/O team had two Abrams, a .50 cal Humvee and a Bradley all firing at it from feet away and they just laid in the ditch. At one point I had a M1 over top of the ditch they were in and they didn't surrender, didn't try to run, just threw grenades at me. So I did something I never do and opened up the scenario to see what's going on, and found that every unit, every vehicle was Crack. Yep, that's explains it. Is the Syrian army so finely honed?

Edit: Was told on the BFC board that this campaign isn't Syrian army, but it is a hypothetical "Blue vs Red" high intensity, Mechanized war campaign, which at least answers my question of why the Syrians were so highly trained and motivated. Because they are not Syrians. They do kinda look like them though....

So I stopped playing, not that I can't continue, but if every enemy in this campaign is Crack then I'm not sure I will, as it's a bit over the top and makes the scenario unrealistically difficult and tedious. I'm sure the Syrians are a professional army, but is the entire army trained to such a fine edge? I'm doubtful, though I admit a lack of real information and knowledge, though as with all games like this I play, it spurs an effort to learn all I can on the subject.

Last edited by DBond; 10/24/19 06:20 PM.

#4494396 - 10/24/19 05:47 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
Behemoth Offline
Behemoth  Offline

Boston, MA
I'm a reader more than a writer, DBond, I reading you and you matter to me! hehe!

-B

#4494400 - 10/24/19 06:08 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Dammit now you went and ruined my rant! biggrin

Thanks Behemoth, nice to read your message. Which CM games are you in to?

#4494415 - 10/24/19 08:22 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I've got all the WWII stuff DBond, they are great fun, had lots of enjoyment from them, although I haven't played them properly for a few months.
Bought SF2 as well, but haven't really had time to explore the game properly yet.
I do read your posts, but as I've not been playing I've not had any input to compare with you smile

#4494421 - 10/24/19 08:50 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Troop. I think I'm going to put that Forging Steel campaign on hold and play the Task Force Thunder campaign that shipped with the original game. It's been updated for SF2 and I hope UAVs added, we shall see.

I appreciate the replies, now to get some guys playing and talking about it smile

#4494496 - 10/25/19 11:28 AM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
When I got the game a few days ago I messed around with a few QBs to get a feel for the new battlefield. After all, it's quite different from WW2 to which I am accustomed. I posted on the BFC boards asking for campaign recommendations after finding Forging Steel a bit rugged. I did just fine I think, but the enemy troops are too resolute. Not exactly what I wanted for my first taste of a modern CM title. Task Force Thunder was one of the campaigns suggested to me, so I decided to give it a go. Several folks there recommended that I take my time, play some QBs to get used to SF2, which is really good advice, as I played the first scenario in the campaign last night and perhaps took more casualties than I am comfortable with biggrin

[Linked Image]

Attached Files TheBerm.jpg

#4494592 - 10/25/19 09:05 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
Behemoth Offline
Behemoth  Offline

Boston, MA
All of them. Though SF2 is my current, BS as well. I would be doing Normandy but I'm too lazy/busy to re-install it. on my laptop. I love them all. I really like the large maps where the long reach of a tank gun can be felt in the modern stuff. But I also like the down and dirty house to house for both eras. I'll try to creep less and chat more. But I read, a lot. Your interests and others is a welcome sight in the desert that is this hobby. ...Cheese filter off...

#4494662 - 10/26/19 12:36 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Behemoth
Your interests and others is a welcome sight in the desert that is this hobby

Thanks. Yes, share what's going on in your games, if you feel like it, I'd be interested. And maybe I would learn something about scenarios and campaigns you play and give 'em a go myself. In addition to game-specific stuff, what I 'd really like to see around here is more in-depth discussion of the history, technical details, and tactics. You know, how Operation Wintergewitter could have succeeded, or a T-34 vs Panther discussion, best mantlet design, or what the typical ToE of a panzerjaeger battalion in Normandy in 1944 was. That sort of stuff.

I was back and forth between Black Sea and SF2 before finally deciding. Black Sea is a more traditional setup, less assymetric, better balanced on each side, and higher tech. I will probably get it at some point. I might get CMFI too, and that would leave CMFB as the only title not in my library, well aside from Afghanistan.

I played the second battle of Task Force Thunder last night. Again, just a single casualty. So far I have caused around 600-700 casualties while taking two. It's fun, but I think mainly due to being so new and different. But obviously with ratios like that it's not so challenging. I'm only two battles in to the campaign and the main gripe is the maps are so small there is zero latitude for any sort of maneuver, no broad tactical leeway. My infantry have been barely involved, and half have yet to even dismount. Just a matter of using my vehicles and artillery to get the enemy out of their holes and gun 'em down. It's a long campaign though and I suspect it may open up a bit. The next mission is to capture an airfield using a Stryker company with Apache support and Vipers on call. Cool.

tanksalot

#4494885 - 10/27/19 09:31 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
I too do the reading Bond, and hopefully will get back into CM soon. Iam more into the modern stuff though.

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4494968 - 10/28/19 01:28 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Right on Red, post something about what you're up to if you ever get back in to it if you feel like it.

As far as modern vs WW2, I can finally comment on this, having played Shock Force 2 for a week now. I like the modern stuff, but if my early impressions are anything to go by, I can't see it overtaking WW2 for me. Partly this may be due to what I am playing, the Task Force Thunder campaign. The design of this campaign (through five missions) lacks the sort of, I don't know, tactical freedom perhaps, that I find so appealing. The maps are small, and honestly most battles have felt like shooting galleries, using the tremendous firepower of my vehicles to win them. There's been no maneuver, no complex co-ordination of my combined arms. My infantry have hardly been involved, spending most of the campaign remaining mounted in their Strykers.

Speaking of Strykers, I was surprised to see a couple of soldiers riding in one open the hatches on the Stryker and pop up, firing their M4s and grenade launchers when the vehicle got close to enemy infantry. That was cool and I wasn't expecting it. After killing the enemy, they dropped back down and closed the hatches.

What I need is smallish forces on a huge map, so that maneuver in the proper sense is required. The first battle of the Forging Steel campaign is like this. Too bad it has a crack enemy force that makes weeding out the enemy such a chore.

In my last post I mentioned that my next mission was to capture an airfield with a Stryker company with Apache support and backed by on-call Vipers. But that's not so. I'm guessing that when they re-did the campaign for SF2 that they changed the Apaches to F-16s, so I had no Apaches. The briefing though says I do. I tend to cut Battlefront a lot of slack for their lack of polish in so many areas, but something like this is harder to excuse because the player will base his plans on these things. I caught on pretty quickly that it was an error, or a legacy from the original mission that wasn't caught and corrected. But still.

That airfield mission was the most difficult so far, but I still got a total victory/enemy surrender and took seven casualties (and three killed) while losing no vehicles. In the five battles I've completed I have taken a total of nine casualties (two with none, two with one, and one with seven). The enemy have lost over one thousand and lots of vehicles and tanks. It is awesome how fast an Abrams acquires and kills, though I've only had them for two of the first six missions, mostly it's been Strykers with no heavy armor. The Strykers can have either a .50 cal, a Mk19 or a 105mm gun, so bring some serious firepower themselves, although they are rather vulnerable. That slat armor makes a big difference though, and can defeat the RPGs that are everywhere it seems.

Speaking of the Mk19 (automatic grenade launcher).... what the hell is with these things? I could shoot one better blindfolded than the pixeltruppen do in CM. It's pretty bad.

I like SF2 as it's new and novel, but I need to find campaigns that are more tactical, less of a firepower shooting gallery showcase. Unfortunately, as with all Combat Mission titles, campaigns are few and I fear I won't find what I am looking for exactly. I'm spoiled by campaigns like Red Thunder's Blunting the Spear and it's operational feel and emphasis on tactical planning and execution. I'd love to play a SF2 campaign that imparted the same sense of scale and need for complex planning.

#4495636 - 11/01/19 10:33 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: Behemoth]  
trindade Offline
Mach2 Club
trindade  Offline
Mach2 Club

Portugal
Originally Posted by Behemoth
I'm a reader more than a writer, DBond, I reading you and you matter to me! hehe!

-B

+1 thumbsup

#4495696 - 11/02/19 01:03 PM Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
So Combat Mission players are the strong and silent type eh? OK, I'll have to accept that you guys like reading, but not writing smile

Thanks for commenting though.

Still, I'd like to read what others are up to. Especially campaigns, so if you play one, post how you liked it, how you did, whether you recommend it, that sort of thing please. Or any sort of operational, tactical or technical discussion would be most welcome.

But for now, I'll carry that torch and continue to blab on about what I'm doing. Still plugging away with the Task Force Thunder (SF2) campaign. I am on the 15th mission I believe. While I feel it has it's shortcomings, overall it's a good campaign. Some really cool missions and a nice variety. Forces are a reasonable size, very manageable. It's mostly centered around the Stryker Brigades, which is what Battlefront was intending with SF2. M1s and Bradleys are in there, but only a handful of missions. Mostly it's Strykers which is fine. But M1s are so cool, and Bradleys are one of my favorite armored vehicles ever so would like to see them more often. Minor complaint and quite specific to me.

One of the missions (Lock and Chase) sees the player take command of an infantry platoon in the heart of a city. They have been cut off and are on their own, and pursued by more than a company of enemy infantry. The player must hold them off and secure two objectives while awaiting reinforcements who don't show up for more than a half hour. Another mission (Dagger Fight) sees your Stryker platoon arrive and needs to rescue a recon unit who are under siege. You need to get to them, and then get them off the map. Lots of fun.

On the other hand there were two missions that I absolutely did not like. One I think is called Objective Normandy. It's an attack by your Stryker company against a dug-in enemy force with pillboxes, lots of RPGs and ATGMs and machine guns. It's a flat, open map with small hedges dividing the map in to fields. LOS is a nightmare, and there are mines. It would make a great WW2 scenario. With weapons of that era, this would be good I think. Not unlike much of the fighting in Normandy. But when you add ATGMs to it, the whole dynamic changes. They always get first shot, and guided weapons rarely miss, and there's nowhere to hide. Even all the objective names are WW2 terms. I can see what the author was going for but it doesn't work for me. Transpose it to CMBN and now we're talking. The thing is I look at a mission like this and my first reaction is that it would not be done this way in reality. It's the sort of situation that a pair of Apaches could clear in 15 minutes with chain guns. But a company of IFV-mounted grunts are gonna suffer. There are many things that make for a good mission, and plausibility is certainly one, and here I don't see it. Perhaps others enjoy it, I don't know.

The other one is an attack on an entrenched enemy in a town, with no cover to use on the approach and the enemy have ATGMs, RPGs and recoiless rifles, while the player gets a reinforced Stryker company. I took out all of the enemy armor with Javs, but just no way I could find to get in town without heavy casualties. Maybe others have better luck. I can't bring myself to throw away 'lives' just to win. I'm obsessed with preserving my forces, and completing missions with the fewest casualties I can. When I am done this campaign I'll post the totals at the end and you will see how focused I've been on this.

But in the main the missions are good, on the easy side, and fun. And with more than 15 missions (how many?) it's a proper campaign and content for CMSF2. The main word that comes to mind for me is immediacy. Most battles begin as if all the maneuver is complete and each element is poised for the assault. Usually your forces are hidden by a terrain feature, like a ridge or berm, and as soon as you crest it, the entire battle is spread out in front and close. Not very tactical frankly, more a matter of quickly establishing fire superiority and pounding the enemy in to submission. It was nearly halfway through the campaign before I felt like I saw a mission that required any sort of tactical maneuvering

I've also started the British campaign, which is cool since I don't know so much about their forces, aside from the Challenger and the L85A2 rifle. But their IFVs and support weapons are sorta new to me so this will be a good learning experience.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.