Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2856501 - 09/07/09 09:14 PM Trackir, 4 or 5?  
schurem Offline
schurem  Offline

Nijmegen, NL, Europe
Hi all,

It's been a while. I've been getting back into the flying game lately, and decided to finally get me a trackir set (yea better late than never eh!)

Both the 4pro version and nr5 are on offer, with a good 50 euro price difference. Now that has me thinking. Are the differences in technology worth the price difference? What if my brain decides to hate trackir?

Your opinions will be higly valued, thanks in advance,

schurem

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings,
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2856815 - 09/08/09 12:50 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: schurem]  
Hedgehog Offline
Hedgehog  Offline

New Orleans, LA & Sunrise, FL
Originally Posted By: schurem
Are the differences in technology worth the price difference?

First, I use TIR 4 Pro. I do not have TIR 5. I have not compared them first hand. But this is what I know from their website. The improvements are in two main areas:

a) Wider Field of View. Not an issue, unless you are using TIR for some activity where you have to dance around the room. For any sim where you are sitting in a more-or-less stationary chair, the TIR4 field of view is plenty wide. In fact, using the 'tracking' window, turning my head as far as I can from one side to the other only uses about 20% of the range on my TIR4 receiver.

b) Higher resolution. Apparently the TIR5 receiver can more precisely track tiny movements. Again, not sure how this would translate into anything useful for a flight sim. TIR4 is plenty sensitive and precise. In fact, in some cases it is too sensitive and you usually want to create a 'dead zone' in the center of your profile so your view will stay still even if your head moves slightly.

There is updated software for TIR5, but you can also use it for TIR4. I have not installed it because it doesn't include any improved functionality, only an 'improved' user interface.

What if my brain decides to hate trackir?

I have never heard anyone say they tried TIR and didn't like it. On the contrary. the majority of TIR users say, "I can't fly without it now." And that's what I say. If I forget to activate TIR before I start a sim, I have to quit out, start TIR, and restart the sim.

I've never heard of anyone who's 'brain didn't like it.' Within the first hour, it will become intuitive. People say, "It must be weird, because you turn your head, but your eyes have to stay looking forward at your monitor." And they're right, it sounds like it must be weird, but it isn't. I've goofed with mine trying to see how my brain resolves that difference. But it doesn't. I turn my head to the right, and the view changes out the right side of the cockpit. My brain is completely convinced that my eyes are looking out the right side of my plane. It's pretty cool, actually!

All that said, if I didn't already have TIR4 and was going to buy a TIR, I'd pay the extra for TIR5 if I had the money. All I can say with certainly is that whichever version you buy, you will use it and like it.

#2857020 - 09/08/09 06:16 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: Hedgehog]  
pauldun170 Offline
pauldun170  Offline

Hopefully a gift wrapped Track IR 5 will be showing up in a few weeks.

When my old crusty TrackIr 1 bit the dust at the beginning of the year I stopped flight simming.
My MSFF2 has been sitting next to my MS Sidewinder stick on the shelf gathering dust.

That is how much I like TIR...wont even play without.

#2857025 - 09/08/09 06:29 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: pauldun170]  
schurem Offline
schurem  Offline

Nijmegen, NL, Europe
thanks for the input. Could someone who owns or has experience with both pipe up?

#2857087 - 09/08/09 08:37 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: schurem]  
pauldun170 Offline
pauldun170  Offline

thanks for the input. Could someone who owns or has experience with both pipe up?

+1

also if those that own them can speak to any issues they have had (alleged stuttering with TrackIr 5 on certain games...longevity of Track IR 4...tips and tricks)

#2857142 - 09/08/09 10:28 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: pauldun170]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I've had my Track IR 4 since about the time it came out. Its survived these several years and even a flight across the room(not its fault, just a loss of temper over something else). It still works great. But being your first one I'd go with the latest greatest especially if it has an even wider infrared projection angle. I have found that with my TIR4 that indeed, according to its recommendation, a good three feet away from the TIR is what you need to avoid operating outside of its signal. If I'm too close to it, if I try to lean around a panel in FS2004 for example you can get screwiness. But at around three feet there is no problem. Though that's mainly something to watch for if you are going to utilize its lateral capabilities. The sensor angle is like a V and the closer you are to the apex and then you go to lean to one side, you can break outside of that infrared signal.

Last edited by Coot; 09/08/09 10:30 PM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#2857735 - 09/09/09 10:59 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: Coot]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I had a TIR4 and now have the TIR5.

In all honesty, there isn't a lot of difference. I would say that the TIR5 is slightly smoother in motion, but I think you'd be more than happy with either.

If you're on a budget then it depends what the difference in price is...it's certainly not worth paying 50% more for the 5. If money isn't a worry then go for the 5 and the track clip pro.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#2858232 - 09/10/09 06:34 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: Paradaz]  
avenger454 Offline
avenger454  Offline

Wynantskill, NY
I can chime in for longevity, I've been using TIR3 since 2004. Only had one problem early on and tech support was fast and helpful. Been flawless since. I'm looking at selling the TIR3 and upgrading to 5, only because I have a home built projector that sits directly behind me and the 400 watt light occasionally confuses the TIR3, even then it still works well most of the time unless I move too much.

#2863126 - 09/18/09 06:51 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: avenger454]  
schurem Offline
schurem  Offline

Nijmegen, NL, Europe
I've taken delivery of my trackir 4 unit this morning. Setting it up was easy as pie, and it works deliciously. Very intuitive. I should have splurged on this bit of kit so much earlier, its worth every cent.

The reflector thinger, a three pronged thin metal affair fits the bill of my cap quite snugly, and luckily i already am quite used to wearing a cap indoors lol. I need to look out not to run outside wearing it, people would think i'm some kind of freak :P

Compared to say a new graphics board its effect is quite a bit more profound. It really pulls you into the game. I tried il2, arma2 and black shark with it.

Last edited by schurem; 09/18/09 07:01 PM.

#2863133 - 09/18/09 07:07 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: Paradaz]  
Nutty Offline
Nutty  Offline

Bristol, England
Originally Posted By: Paradaz
I had a TIR4 and now have the TIR5.

In all honesty, there isn't a lot of difference.

I can't agree with this from my experience in Falcon. Personally I find the TIR5 a great deal smoother and the difference is quite dramatic here. I posted about this on their forums:
http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=7236&Number=37509

This has improved my Falcon experience very noticeably and as someone who flies most evenings, and often online, I would definitely say it's worth upgrading to.

Of course your mileage may vary but that's how it is for me here.

Hope this helps,

Nutty

James "Nutty" Hallows
ViperDrivers
#2864150 - 09/20/09 06:24 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: Nutty]  
schurem Offline
schurem  Offline

Nijmegen, NL, Europe
oh ffs, my unit has decided to crap out even before its first weekend was out! I put in a mail to naturalpoint customer service, but this is not very encouraging frown just doesnt track anymore frown

#4487908 - 08/30/19 12:44 AM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: schurem]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I just bought a "Bundled' set with TrackIR 5. from Amazon The kit comes with a unit that perches atop the monitor, and a Track clip (that attaches to a ball cap or brimmed visor), and a TrackIR Clip PRO, that has IR LEDs in it, and which attaches to the left side of one's earphones, or other suitable head-harness. It plugs into a USB port for power. I understand there are battery-powered, wireless, TrackIR clip Pro units, but aside from the slight initial hook-up fuss, the wired unit is fine for chairborne use. Unplug the unit when not in use to de-power the LEDs.

My (possibly) imperfect understanding is that one can delete any given TrackIR software available, and use any particular version that one finds most useful. I strongly suggest reading the manual. For example, The Track IR camera that sits atop the monitor is best centered for use with the baseball cap clip, but best set off-center to "see" the left-mounted TrackIR Pro clip properly. All in the manual.

Having read lots of user reviews, I have never bothered with the Track clip, and use the TrackIR Pro clip exclusively. YMMV.

There are alternatives to TrackIR, and one is urged to research them. Some alternatives are considerably less costly, but, OTOH, TrackIR's software seems to be well-received, and sort of a "Gold Standard". DO look at the alternatives by all means.

The only oft-repeated complaint about the Track Clip Pro is that it is somewhat fragile, and will not withstand any abuse. To some extent that is true, but I haven't broken mine yet. First of all, I learned that the attachment clip is sorta tricky, in that it has an expandable hinge joint. Play with it for a while, and you will see what I mean. I set the Pro Clip aside, mounted on the headphones, when not in use, on a hanger I installed, where it is secure and safe from pets, kids, and drunken partygoers.

There is a company in the UK, who will ship to the US, https://delanengineering.com/, that offers a stainless steel version of the TrackIR PRO clip, which might be of interest to some people. In fact, they offer a whole rig. Read reviews, and do your homework before deciding.

Now, as far as the usefulness of TrackIR (or similar systems) goes, not all games are compatible. You will need to try out your TrackIR with all your sims to see if it is compatible with them. Some modern games are fully compatible, such as IL-2; but as one goes further into the past, such compatibility becomes less common. For instance, European Air War is compatible, but Crimson Skies, a later game, is not. Trial and error--or success, as the case may be.

My personal experience with TrackIR is that it is a stunning advance for the user's situational awareness. FAR more natural--and intuitive--than any hat switch.

Be advised, that TIR takes some minor setting-up, and reading the manual will make this process easier. Using it will also take some getting used-to, but the results are WELL worth the minor effort.

Disclaimer: no financial interest in any vendor/mfr mentioned here.

#4487950 - 08/30/19 02:26 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: schurem]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
What's this new-fangled witchcraft you are on about? biggrin

It sounds good but I think I'll wait for them to work out the bugs.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4489949 - 09/19/19 02:15 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: schurem]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
The bugs are long gone, I've had nothing but smooth, seamless tracking for over a decade. If you're racing or flying without head tracking then you're truly depriving yourself of a wonderful experience! smile

#4489961 - 09/19/19 04:03 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: schurem]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha, I was just having a bit of fun. I've been using Track IR for years.

#4489969 - 09/19/19 05:17 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: schurem]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Track IR, ancient tech. I still have my TiR 3 and it still worked the last time I tried it but who needs TiR now we have VR smile

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#4489972 - 09/19/19 05:44 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: Mark Aisthorpe]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Mark Aisthorpe
but who needs TiR now we have VR smile

Falconites smile

#4489977 - 09/19/19 06:19 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: DBond]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Originally Posted by DBond
Originally Posted by Mark Aisthorpe
but who needs TiR now we have VR smile

Falconites smile

Well the Falcon BMS dev's need to pull there fingers out and get VR working then :P

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#4489980 - 09/19/19 06:27 PM Re: Trackir, 4 or 5? [Re: schurem]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha, you should suggest that over on the BMS board! They'll love it biggrin

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.