Group A: Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Club Brugge, Galatasaray

Group B: Bayern Munich, Tottenham, Olympiakos, Red Star Belgrade

Group C: Manchester City, Shakhtar Donetsk, Dinamo Zagreb, Atalanta

Group D: Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen, Lokomotiv Moscow

Group E: Liverpool, Napoli, Salzburg, Genk

Group F: Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, Inter Milan, Slavia Prague

Group G: Zenit St. Petersburg, Benfica, Lyon, Leipzig

Group H: Chelsea, Ajax, Valencia, Lille

I'm happy with Liverpool's group. Drew Napoli again, and they are a fine side, but the rest of the group is navigable, so I expect them to go through, although perhaps not topping the group. PSG and Madrid in the same group is sure to provide a spectacle. City should cruise in Group C. Bayern and Tottenham should both advance. The best group looks to be Group F with Barca, Dortmund and Inter all in with a shout. Inter are improved and probably not a Pot 3 team, so that's a tough group and one of those teams will be disappointed to drop in to the Europa League.

This weekend Liverpool are away to Burnley and I'm hoping for another three points. The best games of the week look to be on Sunday with Wolves traveling to Everton and Spurs away to Arsenal in the North London Derby. I expect both of those matches to be entertaining.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4488075 - 08/31/19 06:57 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh man, if no one cares about the Champion's League this thread is doomed biggrin

In today's action City cruised, and Liverpool did too. Liverpool stay top, but lose another goal to the differential. A clean sheet away is a great result anytime.

United failed to get by 10-man Southampton, and now sit 7th, with Spurs, Everton and Wolves all with a chance to go above them in tomorrow's action.

Chelsea blew a 2-0 lead over newly promoted Sheffield United and settled for a draw.

Barca again failed to grab all three points, and if Atletico win their match they will be top. Early days. Barca's 16 year-old Ansu Fati scored his first for the club and became their youngest ever goal scorer in the process.

Bayern cruised with 6 goals and Dortmund lost to Union Berlin 3-1, which is a really poor result for them. These are the matches they have to win if they want to win the league.

#4488203 - 09/02/19 03:20 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
As expected, the two EPL Sunday matches were entertaining. Wolves remain winless, which I would not have predicted. I had both Wolves and Everton challenging for Europe. Plenty of time left, but they will be disappointed in their slow start to the season.

Everton look more dangerous than I can recall in a long time. I said earlier that Moise Kean was signing of the season, and while he hasn't quite found his feet, you can see he will be a star.

The Arsenal-Tottenham match was great for the neutral. Full of chances and mistakes. Good stuff.

Today is deadline day in Europe. Some names have moved already and perhaps more to follow?

Atletico are top of La Liga. See? biggrin

#4488639 - 09/06/19 01:40 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Club action is on hold this week for the international break. Euro 2020 and World Cup qualifying.

Deadline day came and went without much action. Icardi finally moved, and to PSG, of course. And yes, Neymar is still in Paris. So we get to read all about it come January again smile

United sent out three additional players on loan, including Smalling and Alexis Sanchez. How long before Ole complains his squad is threadbare? Over/under is two weeks.

US-Mexico tonight in a friendly. I'm interested to see this match. I want to see the debut for Sergino Dest, who has broken in to the Ajax first team.

I'm not sold on Berhalter at the reigns. I think he is out of his depth. My reaction to his hiring was "it took two years to find Gregg Berhalter?" Wut? The US failed to convince at the Gold Cup, and tonight should be a useful barometer, to see where they stand, and if they look cohesive and motivated. Time is ticking before the next qualifying cycle and the US cannot miss another World Cup. Is Gregghead the one to lead them there? We'll know more tonight.

#4488656 - 09/06/19 03:14 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
The problem will still be the same for Neymar in January, who wants to put around 200M € for him ? Barça can only buy him the next summer I think. And Real, well, apparently the offer we talked earlier in this thread was pure fake. And there is plenty of time to completely overturn the situation, it wouldn't be the first time.

Nothing really exiting for team France, Albania and Andorra, I'll probably put my TV on just to be in touch.

About Champion's League, I like Group D, probably tougher than it looks on paper (or maybe I overrate Leverkusen). Good group for Lyon, but not simple, and Lille will probably be 4th, but fans are happy to be able to watch 3 great names of European football in their stadium.

PSG should qualify, but with the first game against Real Madrid at Paris without Mbappé, Neymar and Cavani, it can be a defeat. Then, they'll go to Istanbul for their second game, it's never easy there, and Galatasaray has a good team on paper. PSG could begin with 2 defeat or 1 defeat 1 tie. And you can possibly add a defeat in Madrid, they have less room for mistakes than the others.

And yes, if you are a Liverpool fan, you can be happy with their group biggrin It should be an easy path for them.

Last edited by Roudou; 09/06/19 03:15 PM.
#4488664 - 09/06/19 04:17 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, it could have been worse for Liverpool's draw. But of course that is one of the perks of being seeded in the first pot. Napoli is strong though. And at least we aren't United, who face some really long trips in their Europa League campaign. And we aren't United biggrin

About Neymar.... OK, we are all sick of it, and of him, I get it. But the potential move of such a high profile player is news. Here's what I think happened....

Early in the summer Messi asked Bartomeu to buy Neymar back. Bartomeu said that he will see what he can do. But then they went and spent tons of money, which meant Neymar was not affordable. They spent nearly 285m on Griezmann, Firpo, De Jong, Neto and Emerson (outgoings totaled 178m). So where do you find another 200m? Barca's books are shaky anyway. So that's why they tried to get creative and swap players, or make the fee payable in installments. PSG didn't want the players they were offering, aside from Coutinho, who then was loaned to Bayern, and they had no interest in the installment plan.

So in reality, Barca knew this wasn't going to happen, but kept up the charade to maintain the appearance of trying to get Neymar and keep Messi happy. It was recently revealed that Messi has an out-clause in this contract, and he can leave at the end of any season if he chooses to. So naturally the brass want to keep him happy. And besides that there's the whole election business, and the president who presides over Messi's departure will have trouble finding support I reckon.

Now to January..... let's see how the next 4 months go. If Neymar continues to be a distraction, if he is out with injury or if he fails to find his form, PSG will be looking to offload him again. But like you said Roudou, who can stump up that sort of cash? Real, Barca, United, Bayern perhaps? This is exactly the sort of signing I can envision United making if their season is a shambles.

Regardless of what happens, the entire situation was caused in the first place by PSG being willing to pay the astronomical fee for Neymar, and then feeling compelled to make it back in the deal. Neymar will move, but the price will need to drop. Or Man U will buy him smile

And you're right about Group D, it's a strong one.

#4488724 - 09/07/19 12:25 AM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Watched the 2cd half of the Germany-Netherland game. Germany was up 1-0 at the half and from what the announcers said it was all Germany. I guess the Ned players got a good talking to because in the 2cd half they were a different team with the game ending 4-2 for the Neds The Neds were up 2-1 when Germany got a penalty kick on a questionable hand ball to make it 2-2.. No VAR. .

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4488760 - 09/07/19 12:21 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
When Germany had their dismal showing at the last World Cup I made some comments about Löw, the German FA, and whether his time was up. Here's what I wrote

Low should have fallen on his sword, and I think is largely responsible for Germany's performance in this tournament. But the DFB has been just as bad. It seems to me that in any other nation the coach would have been fired. If this World Cup wasn't down to Low, then what does the DFB attribute it to? Crap players? Come on. Back luck? Referee bias? Food poisoning? Stalin?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

And yet here we are, more than a year later, and Germany is turning in performances like that. How he has kept his post through all of this boggles the mind. It's time for him to go. What do German fans think?

I see that this was the first German home defeat since 2007?

As for the Dutch, credit where credit is due. When the Netherlands failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup I said they were in trouble. The side was aging, the players they relied on most were nearing retirement, the next generation looked weak and I was critical of the Koeman hire, who I felt was overrated after his stints with Barcelona and in the EPL. But I have to eat those words, because they look rejuvenated, dynamic and dangerous. Much of the credit has to go to Koeman, who has them ticking over like the total football of old. Players like Memphis Depay have come on strong, and blossomed in to very good players. Who would have thought that Ryan Babel would still have a part to play? It's a great story, and with players like de Ligt and de Jong, Kluivert's kid and of course the collosus that is Virgil van Dijk at the back, this is a team poised to make some waves at Euro 2020. After missing the WC, you'd reckon they have a point to prove.

The US was poor against Mexico, losing 3-0. I see no signs of progress, I just see a team that isn't sure what it's supposed to be doing. I continue to believe that Berhalter was the wrong hire. He has shown me nothing. What is this team supposed to be? What's the vision? Where is the progress?

#4488858 - 09/09/19 12:38 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Watford sacked Gracia, and that's a shock. They finished 11th last season, which I reckon must be their highest finish ever, and they made (and lost) the FA Cup final. That's rather harsh. One point from four this season is true, but I think it's just too early, especially considering their fine results a year ago.

In other shocking news, Harry Kane has revealed he has never dived in his career. He said

"I am someone who uses his body well, which as a striker you have to do at every level."

So that's what it is. It's not diving, it's using his body well. It's a booking all the same smile

#4489495 - 09/14/19 12:28 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Clubs are back in action this weekend. In England there are a few interesting matches. Both United and Spurs face tricky tests while looking to get their seasons on track, with games against Leicester and Palace respectively. No easy points there.

Liverpool play the early game against Toon, and are up 2-1 at the half. City have Norwich, and probably the three points, but Norwich haven't looked out of place in the early going. Wolves-Chelsea should entertain.

Barca host Valencia and Real Madrid are brushing aside Levante as we speak.

Bayern host RBL, who sit top of the table.

PSG play Strasbourg, who have just three points from their first four.

#4489515 - 09/14/19 07:03 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Well that was a shocker, Norwich 3 ManC 2.

T. Pukki 50'
T. Cantwell 28'
K. McLean 18'

Rodri Hernández 88'
S. Agüero 45'

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4489518 - 09/14/19 07:39 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
What a result! Could not have asked for better. Liverpool five clear now.

Congrats to Norwich and thanks very much!

#4489686 - 09/16/19 06:12 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
In the news....

Champion's League group stage begins tomorrow!

Liverpool away to Napoli, which figures on paper to be the toughest match in the stage for them. So if they can manage a victory Liverpool will be in great shape for the remainder, not only top of the group, but three points ahead of Napoli. Big game.

Dortmund host Barca in the day's other top match (in my view)

A few comments about the EPL after five matches....

Liverpool looking good, but they have to maintain it. A few slips and draws and it's not looking so good anymore. In particular, they need to avoid the draws against lesser opposition that plagued them last season and ultimately cost them the title. Avoiding injury to key players is vital as well. They've managed a 100% record so far without Alisson, but they really can't afford to lose players for extended periods. Laporte's injury for City is a case in point. He is vital, and they have no one who can step in and not miss a beat. Stones? Otamendi? You saw what they did against Norwich. Hopefully Liverpool can stay healthy, but that's a big ask. Pep will need the To Bismol as Laporte is out until February.

Wolves winless is a shock. They were so good last year, looked to have strengthened over the summer, and now sit next to last with zero wins and just three points from five. I had them in European places this year, but they really need to get it going for that to happen.

Tammy Abraham! Did you see his hat trick? Three great goals, and the one where he made Connor Coady lose his shoes was awesome. More of this please. All of Chelsea's goals were good. I said earlier that they looked like they would score and concede in quantity, and that looks to be true. Pulisic didn't see the pitch, and he'll be worried about his place.

United scraped a 1-nil. Thrilling. It was a good Leicester side they beat though. But it could easily have gone the other way and I think it's going to be a long season at Old Trafford. They're treading water right now, and might sink or might swim. I see Ole has marked Sancho and Maddison as transfer targets. Yeah, good luck with that. Can't see either of them signing for this United. Maddison is probably the most underrated player in the EPL.

What happened to Arsenal in the Watford match? That was hard to watch.

#4489863 - 09/18/19 04:35 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Very poor result for Liverpool yesterday. They didn't play too badly, but they weren't sharp enough and that penalty was a clear dive. They lost away to Napoli last year too and went on to win the entire thing, so it's not the end of the world. Still, a win would have been great. Disappointed, but not too worried as they should still progress.

I'd like to keep discussing football in this thread and will reply if posts are made, but it's rather silly to keep posting to myself. I didn't think it would prove so unpopular to be honest, I reckoned plenty were in to it and would have strong opinions and reactions, but only politics, movies and celebrity deaths seem to generate that around SimHQ these days. I'd welcome more footie talk, so fire away if anything's on your mind.

Oh, and almost forgot.... I bought PES 2020 for PC and it's fantastic on the pitch, and I think better than FIFA, even if the rest of it isn't the same level. But the actual football is excellent.

#4489865 - 09/18/19 05:04 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Love the updates and comments DBond. It is just the wrong football for North America.

#4489872 - 09/18/19 08:02 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Too true, that. But while most Americans won't care, Canadians and Mexicans are more refined biggrin

And that still leaves the sizable European membership here. I know there are plenty of football fans here, they just don't care to discuss it I guess. Look at the World Cup threads. Maybe that's the only time anyone builds up enough enthusiasm to want to talk about it.

Well, we'll see where it goes from here. Hoping it picks up a bit.

#4490163 - 09/21/19 02:07 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh, what the hell, in the weekend's action......

Spurs just lost to Leicester, 2-1, with each team having goals ruled out by VAR. Spurs are nearing crisis mode, they coughed up two leads this week alone, against the Foxes and mid-week in the UCL against Olympiakos. Leicester are much improved. As a Liverpool supporter I must admit I wasn't so keen on Rodgers, but he went off to Scotland for a while, and now has Leicester ticking along nicely. After their improbable title they sort of went in to a slide, and of course the tragedy when the helicopter crashed. But they've shaken all of that off and are a very dangerous side. Maddison I said earlier is the most underrated player in the EPL, and he did that no harm today, He led the entire league in chances created last season, and scored a cracker of a goal today.

City travel to Watford and I'm hoping somehow the Hornets can take at least a point. With City's defense in disarray now's the time to pounce, and I hope Watford are up for it today.

There are four matches Sunday, including Liverpool-Chelsea at the Bridge. This is a big match for Liverpool, and they'll be hoping to rebound from the loss away to Napoli. If they are to win the title, this is the sort of game they cannot afford to slip on. Chelsea's been flying high recently, but I think they are vulnerable at the back, so we will see. United travel to London to take on West Ham.

#%&*$#, City's up 1-nil after just 4 minutes.

Dammit, 2-0 after 7 minutes.

5-0 after 21 minutes What. The. Fook. Is Watford on the pitch?

8-nil. Pathetic display from Watford. Didn't see the match, and thankful for that. Watford recently sacked Javi Gracia and I said it was harsh. And for this? They're going down based on this evidence. I bet Gracia is laughing his ass off. Shocking result.

Last edited by DBond; 09/21/19 07:15 PM.

#4490174 - 09/21/19 05:27 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Paris FC update biggrin

It's not going well at the Stade Sébastien Charléty, with PFC bottom with just two points from eight. That's relegation pace, and les garçons need to pick it up! On the plus side they're just two points from safety, so a couple of wins should see them pull out of the relegation zone.

#4490181 - 09/21/19 06:48 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
Awful !

Coach tried an other system last game, but it only lasted one period. After two goals he came back at the classic 4-4-2 you use when nothing is working. At least the team was more compact during the second half, but there is still nothing on the offense. As you said, the good new is, we are not so far behind the safe spot, but I'm not optimistic, and our next two games are tough.

#4490190 - 09/21/19 08:26 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
4-4-2 is so 1980's smile

I actually like the formation, depending on the players at your disposal. The problem with 4-4-2 is that it struggles to control the midfield, especially against in-vogue formations like 4-2-3-1. For it to work, your two central mids need to be stellar (compared to the competition). But more often than not your midfield will be overrun against the sorts of formations that many teams utilize now. Most matches are won or lost in the midfield, so it's vital that you control it. If the opposition is also 4-4-2 or maybe 4-3-3 it's not a bad system. But as most sides pack the midfield now it just doesn't work well enough usually.

That said, most formations are one way with the ball and another without it. A 4-4-2 can easily morph in to a 4-5-1 or similar without the ball. It all comes down to the manager's instructions. If you have good center mids, and a good strike partnership it can work. This is what separates the best managers from the rest. They can tweak it to exploit or counter what the opposition is doing. But too often they stubbornly stick to their pet system regardless if it's working or not. You only need to look at the US men's national team to see this in full effect.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.