Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4477125 - 06/07/19 06:50 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: hunter1]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted by hunter1
Originally Posted by Dornil
I use TrackIR in mouse emulation mode with EAW. Far inferior to the native support, but better than nothing.

Please , tell me how i do to use it in eaw. Exact procedure , please .............and sorry for my poor english

I suggest you try the steps I have outlined in several posts above.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4477156 - 06/07/19 09:23 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
hunter1, I think if you go to the start of this thread there are pretty good instructions. The first post is a good big picture discussion. But the third post lays out step by step what to do.

I think if you try doing what’s in the third post you may be on the way. If you have problems after that, read the first post in detail.

Then if you have problems, post here and one of the wonderful experts we have here will help you.

Don’t get discouraged and give up.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4477160 - 06/07/19 09:50 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
Dornil Offline
Dornil  Offline

Well, SkyHigh has pretty much covered the procedure ( http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4448233/re-using-trackir-in-eaw#Post4448233 ) I'll just mention couple of things:
- Along with F1 key, I have "Center TIR" function mapped to the joystick button, not "Pause" (why Pause, BTW?). In mouse emulation mode you have to re-center frequently, when you move your head too sharply.
- Just as for all the mouse emulation profiles, my EAW curves are completely linear - at value 4, IRC.
- Mouse emulation is a separate application, which is stated by running TIRMouse.exe from TrackIR folder.

P.S.: I am still hoping that one day EAW will get a proper TIR support:)

#4477200 - 06/08/19 07:42 AM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: Dornil]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Well, SkyHigh has pretty much covered the procedure ( http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4448233/re-using-trackir-in-eaw#Post4448233 ) I'll just mention couple of things:
- Along with F1 key, I have "Center TIR" function mapped to the joystick button, not "Pause" (why Pause, BTW?). In mouse emulation mode you have to re-center frequently, when you move your head too sharply.
- Just as for all the mouse emulation profiles, my EAW curves are completely linear - at value 4, IRC.
- Mouse emulation is a separate application, which is stated by running TIRMouse.exe from TrackIR folder.

P.S.: I am still hoping that one day EAW will get a proper TIR support:)

The answer to your "Pause" question is, I think, in the first post. Of course, you might prefer TrackIR to over-ride padlock, I prefer the opposite.

I don't have to re-centre very often, at all. Are you using a TrackClipPro or a Delan Clip-I found the latter a huge improvement on that thing with the three dots-far more stable?

Additionally, I centre using the POV Snap-Front function, which, in my case anyway, does not require the centring function of TrackIR to be mapped to my joystick. I find it works better.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 06/08/19 07:50 AM.
#4477201 - 06/08/19 08:18 AM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
Dornil Offline
Dornil  Offline

I don't use any clip at all, just the standard metal thing with reflective spots.

#4477206 - 06/08/19 10:13 AM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: Dornil]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
I don't use any clip at all, just the standard metal thing with reflective spots.

I invested in a DelanClip (delanengineering.com). I found it to be an enormous improvement. Instead of passive reflectors, one has active LED's. Much less light-sensitive too, I think.

#4484490 - 07/29/19 08:47 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: hunter1]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I just installed TrackIR on both my computers, and have been reading this thread for tips. Much obliged, and will eventually respond with my experiences.

Preliminary Response/Review: Track IR (or something similar) is a VERY immersive experience, as long as the user is habituated to viewing "within-cockpit" .

If one is not used to doing so, then using TrackIR will be a very different visual experience than that which one was formerly used-to. TIR is really intended for "in-cockpit" viewing, although it can be used for other views.

The TrackIR program may require some initial set-up, and perhaps some experimentation. Depends o the game, and User set-up. In order to set it up for EAW, I had to install the software, from Mfr's site, and then become familiar with the various settings. within the main program. Foremost of these was "head front" setting, which users will discover. "F12, IIRC.

Users of this program in conjunction with EAW will need to INVERT Mouse "Y" axis's to make the program run correctly. this can be done within the in Program settings, and does not need to be done within the program's INi/config file.n

As a newbie Track IR user, I am very happy with the results. The cockpit views seem natural, and realistic. If one becomes disoriented, just find the aircraft dashboard, and then you have found yourself. Just like a real pilot.

I am just getting used to this program/feature, but am warming to it as a far more realistic portrayal of the pilot experience than the old hat switch.

I think it a HUGE realism upgrade.

YMMV.

Last edited by RIBob; 08/17/19 12:25 AM.
#4487814 - 08/29/19 12:19 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: RIBob]  
hunter1 Offline
hunter1  Offline

Italy , Florence
Originally Posted by RIBob
I just installed TrackIR on both my computers, and have been reading this thread for tips. Much obliged, and will eventually respond with my experiences.

Preliminary Response/Review: Track IR (or something similar) is a VERY immersive experience, as long as the user is habituated to viewing "within-cockpit" .

If one is not used to doing so, then using TrackIR will be a very different visual experience than that which one was formerly used-to. TIR is really intended for "in-cockpit" viewing, although it can be used for other views.

The TrackIR program may require some initial set-up, and perhaps some experimentation. Depends o the game, and User set-up. In order to set it up for EAW, I had to install the software, from Mfr's site, and then become familiar with the various settings. within the main program. Foremost of these was "head front" setting, which users will discover. "F12, IIRC.

Users of this program in conjunction with EAW will need to INVERT Mouse "Y" axis's to make the program run correctly. this can be done within the in Program settings, and does not need to be done within the program's INi/config file.n

As a newbie Track IR user, I am very happy with the results. The cockpit views seem natural, and realistic. If one becomes disoriented, just find the aircraft dashboard, and then you have found yourself. Just like a real pilot.

I am just getting used to this program/feature, but am warming to it as a far more realistic portrayal of the pilot experience than the old hat switch.

I think it a HUGE realism upgrade.

YMMV.

Thank you Ribob for your explanation of trackir use in EAW , but becouse EAW have mouse look and zoom possibility , i think someone can add the support for 6dof at eaw.

#4488091 - 08/31/19 10:37 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: hunter1]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

What I do (albeit with imperfect understanding of TIR) is to start the TIR main program, toggle (F12, IIRC) for initial centering of view, then start the "Mouse Emulator" sub-program within the main TIR folder. I have made a shortcut for this exact purpose, Then diminish all the TIR stuff, and launch the game.. It works all right, and no complaints.

As far as additional DOF, I await responses from more learned posters. I don't know if EAW is capable of such. Some games are not TIR-friendly whatsoever. We are lucky that EAW is TIR-friendly. Some other flight sims, created even later, like Crimson Skies do not appear to TIR-friendly at all. If anyone has info concerning Crimson skies and TIR, please post.

Maybe a more elegant, simple way to do it exists, but the aforementioned procedure works fine for EAW. YMMV.

Worth adding that some later sims have TIR built-in from the start, including additional DOFs. IL-2 comes to mind. I know that Strike Fighters 2 and
First Eagles 2 are OK with TIR, the latter being a personal fave.

Nothing like TIR, and a vast improvement over the usual hat switch. Takes some practice, but so does anything else worthwhile.

Having some small experience with TIR, flying without it seems un-natural, and puts me at a disadvantage, compared to the real pilots. YMMV..

Last edited by RIBob; 08/31/19 11:28 PM.
#4488452 - 09/05/19 01:12 AM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: hunter1]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

@SkyHigh Don't worry SkyHigh i have flying eaw and many others combat flights sims and civil flight sims whitout trackir for many and many years . And have EAW installed and ready in my pc.
@Redwolf Me too have head tracking before , yes , it is a bit annoing setting very well this software , but after a good setting there is no difference whit trackir software. I think you have setting too sensible to movements of your head.

I rather concur. There are settings within the TrackIR program to manipulate sensitivities of the device, and experimenting with them is a part of the process required to adapt the TrackIR to the individual user.

Allow me to say that I've been flying flight sims enough to have worn out some joysticks--and some top-hat switches.

As previously stated, when configuring TIR, assume a position of one's head that includes the full monitor, but also does not preclude looking down at the keyboard without moving your head much. This is where older users will find out if they need bifocal lenses on their glasses. I have been using such for a long time, and so looking down at the keyboard is not a problem. If you need bifocals, this is a GOOD clue.

In practice, and not being an expert, I simply set the TIR , via the F12 button, with a naturally centered point of view. within the game, and not making a particular point of viewing the keyboard. I look down at the keyboard occasionally, perhaps moving my head to do so, and return to cockpit view naturally. If you have it set up right (READ the Manual), and practice with it,4 I believe it will be of great help in your flying.

All I can say is this: I try TIR on EVERY sim I attempt to play, and make great efforts to get it to run. II TIR does NOT run on a particular game, I consider myself at a very great, and very un-natural, disadvantage. With TIR, I can look around, avoid enemies on my tail, and shoot down enemies like never before. Just like a real pilot.

TIR allows the sim pilot to look around them much like a real pilot would do. As such, it is a feature that replicates real life, and a HUGE advancement over the usual hat switch, or, heaven forbid, keyboard view commands.

Nothing could be more REALISTIC, and more natural and intuitive. If your sim works with it, configure it so the TIR program works with you. And PRACTICE!

TIR takes some configuration, and personal adaption and practice. Not much, really, IMHO. To some people, this will be burdensome, as they will need to learn new skills. To some other people, it will be a simple transition. I belong to the first group, who needed to learn the system to make it work for me. Having done so, I would not willingly be without it when flying any combat flight sim. Period.

If your computer will run Track IR, then go for it. Doesn't take much, IIRC. My old Win 7 computer with 8 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo CP, and Nvidia 730 Gfx card has no problem running TIR. FAR from cutting edge, and I'll bet most folks computers are much better. YMMV, of course. If your particular computer will not run TIR, for some reason, then, my friend, UPGRADE. You WILL NOT likely regret doing so, for many reasons, TIR being least amongst them..

Your call. Personally, flying without it feels like flying with blinders on.

Disclaimer: Not advocating for any device or system. There are many mfrs/vendors. Read reviews, and then decide for yourself.

Last edited by RIBob; 09/05/19 02:16 AM.
#4489359 - 09/13/19 03:24 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: RIBob]  
hunter1 Offline
hunter1  Offline

Italy , Florence
Originally Posted by RIBob
@SkyHigh Don't worry SkyHigh i have flying eaw and many others combat flights sims and civil flight sims whitout trackir for many and many years . And have EAW installed and ready in my pc.
@Redwolf Me too have head tracking before , yes , it is a bit annoing setting very well this software , but after a good setting there is no difference whit trackir software. I think you have setting too sensible to movements of your head.

All I can say is this: I try TIR on EVERY sim I attempt to play, and make great efforts to get it to run. II TIR does NOT run on a particular game, I consider myself at a very great, and very un-natural, disadvantage. With TIR, I can look around, avoid enemies on my tail, and shoot down enemies like never before. Just like a real pilot.

TIR allows the sim pilot to look around them much like a real pilot would do. As such, it is a feature that replicates real life, and a HUGE advancement over the usual hat switch, or, heaven forbid, keyboard view commands.

Nothing could be more REALISTIC, and more natural and intuitive. If your sim works with it, configure it so the TIR program works with you. And PRACTICE!

TIR takes some configuration, and personal adaption and practice. Not much, really, IMHO. To some people, this will be burdensome, as they will need to learn new skills. To some other people, it will be a simple transition. I belong to the first group, who needed to learn the system to make it work for me. Having done so, I would not willingly be without it when flying any combat flight sim. Period.

If your computer will run Track IR, then go for it. Doesn't take much, IIRC. My old Win 7 computer with 8 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo CP, and Nvidia 730 Gfx card has no problem running TIR. FAR from cutting edge, and I'll bet most folks computers are much better. YMMV, of course. If your particular computer will not run TIR, for some reason, then, my friend, UPGRADE. You WILL NOT likely regret doing so, for many reasons, TIR being least amongst them..

Your call. Personally, flying without it feels like flying with blinders on.

Disclaimer: Not advocating for any device or system. There are many mfrs/vendors. Read reviews, and then decide for yourself.

Very good specification , but no one try to add support for 3dof on EAW ........thank you for this words , Ribob , i'm italian and not know the english

#4498493 - 11/27/19 03:51 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Just a small update. While experimenting with various TrackIR profiles in European Air War, I found one that works really well for me. It is called "(Slow)_Linear_with_Dead_Zone_(Slow)" and should be available in older versions of the TrackIR software. I attempted to upload it here, but unfortunately I am not permitted to do so by the Upload manager.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 11/29/19 11:12 AM.
#4498655 - 11/28/19 08:03 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
hunter1 Offline
hunter1  Offline

Italy , Florence
Originally Posted by SkyHigh
Just a small update. While experimenting with various TrackIR profiles in European Air War, I found one that works really well for me. It is called (Slow)_Linear_with_Dead_Zone_(Slow) and should be available in older versions of the TrackIR software. I attempted to upload it here, but unfortunately I am not permitted to do so by the Upload manager.

And .........?

#4498671 - 11/28/19 10:38 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: hunter1]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Just a small update. While experimenting with various TrackIR profiles in European Air War, I found one that works really well for me. It is called "(Slow)_Linear_with_Dead_Zone_(Slow)" and should be available in older versions of the TrackIR software. I attempted to upload it here, but unfortunately I am not permitted to do so by the Upload manager.

And .........?

It's just a suggestion for anyone who has the profile and has not tried it. It might work well for others also. If someone wants it, I might be able to provide it in a private message, depending on whether the system permits it.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 11/29/19 11:13 AM.
#4498798 - 11/30/19 05:32 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
hunter1 Offline
hunter1  Offline

Italy , Florence

And .........?

It's just a suggestion for anyone who has the profile and has not tried it. It might work well for others also. If someone wants it, I might be able to provide it in a private message, depending on whether the system permits it.

it is only a suggestion . Can you post the link of this profile ? Thank you.

#4498857 - 12/01/19 02:14 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: hunter1]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland

And .........?

Private message sent to you.

#4498873 - 12/01/19 06:17 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

And .........?

Private message sent to you.

If you don't mind, please IM me the pertinent info as well. Thanks.

Is this setting something I can achieve using latest iteration of TIR software, or is it unique to the older version?

#4498879 - 12/01/19 07:38 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
RIBob, PM sent.

#4498989 - 12/02/19 03:55 PM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
hunter1 Offline
hunter1  Offline

Italy , Florence
Thank you , SkyHigh

#4499211 - 12/05/19 12:21 AM Re: Using TrackIR in EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Thanks, SH!

I can't answer Hunter's Q's about additional DOFs with respect to EAW, but I can certainly say that even without such, TIR is an extremely valuable resource. I do know that many modern games are TIR-friendly, and I have just begun to scratch the surface of such games. The IL-2 series of flight sims comes to mind, and these games, even the oldest iterations, begin with graphics that far surpass anything available in EAW. Of course, the cutting edge graphics of the more modern versions of IL-2 are simply stunning, and the extensive user-modding is simply astounding in its extent--and quality.

That said, even some older games such as ThirdWire's First Eagles 2 (WW I), and Strike Fighters 2 (Jet Era) are TIR-friendly, and VERY worthy of a look. Many excellent user-made mods for both sims. I've noticed that flying FE2 with TIR is SO MUCH easier, since I can move my eyes over the top wing in a way that is not easily/instantly/naturally obtainable with hat switch and mouse.

I am certain that I have omitted many sims that are TIR-friendly. TIR's web site has a database that lists games known to be TIR-friendly,at least to a specified extent. Perhaps people thinking about buying TIR might want to see what's there. Here's a link: https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/games/

I have said this before, but it bears repeating: Flying without TIR is like flying wearing blinders., Perhaps a more relevant comparison would be comparing flying a flight sim with only a keyboard, and flying one with a keyboard AND a joystick.

TIR makes [/I]at least[/I] that much difference, IMHO. YMMV.

Those of you owning the simple clip that attaches to the brim of one's hat ought to seriously consider upgrading to either the (somewhat fragile) LED device offered by TIR, or the more robust, user-configurable (bendable) metal Delan LED clip. The latter has an optional headband which provides the option of wearing the Delan clip without earphones (or cap), although the Delan clip can be easily attached to one's earphones, if desired.

The Delan Clip is an added, optional expense, but probably worth it in the long run. The slender, plastic TIR IR assembly is very fragile, and not easily mended if broken. I haven't broken mine YET, but I am very careful with it, and hang the entire headset on a secure, out-of-the-way hook where it will not bee molested. I strongly suggest this practice to prospective users; it is mandatory, lest the fragile TIR clip come to grief.

In fact, I think I'll buy a Delan clip and optional head band right now, Excuse me, please. ETA: Done, $52.27 for the LED Delan clip and nylon head band, shipped from UK.. Call what you wish, but don't ever say I don't suggest things I don't buy and own, LOL.

Delan site: https://delanengineering.com/shop/

Last edited by RIBob; 12/05/19 01:23 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.