Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4489183 - 09/11/19 11:51 PM EAW + Live USB  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Just made a successful experiment and posted new page at my site:

EAW from a Live USB

The details are there. Is not persistent so at shutdown its "GameOver"

EAW (European Air War) running from a Linux "Live" USB. Flying! using SparkyLinux

Specifically SparkyLinux 2019.08-x86_64 Gameover edition .iso burned to a Live USB thumb drive.

Note this is NOT! a persistent USB. I do not provide details here to make one. That is a complicated subject. The method here is simply to use a Live Bootable USB and to load the EAW files from another disk.

This method also only uses the files of the EAW 1.28e Fullversion download I offer. Which is an EAW version that does not require the EAW CD, nor other files. It is a "standalone version" containing all needed files for running, flying EAW 1.28e Fullversion.

Follow the instructions here exactly for a hopefully pain-free experiment.

Download the EAW 1.28e Fullversion to a disk other than the USB that will be used for the Live version Operating System. This can be a disk on the PC already - (see NTFS and Windows warnings!) or a removable disk USB or DVD, etc.

Download the SparkyLinux x86_64 Gameover edition (or suitable ex. 32 bit other version for older PCs)

Burn the SparkyLinux .iso to a Live USB Disk. Personally I use Linux Mint tool USB Stick Formatter to format the USB to fat32 and then the tool USB Image Writer to make the bootable USB Disk easily with default configuration. For other see SparkyLinux wiki Create Live USB disk

Set Your PC boot configuration to Boot from USB. Or in Windows 10 from what I remember you go to the advanced page select boot other device, find the USB from the menu and boot. The SparkyLinux Gameover is a hybrid iso that should boot on any x86_64 system whether UEFI, MBR or not. See the Sparky Wiki or Sparky Forum for any other information.

Boot the SparkyLinux x86_64 Gameover edition Live USB. You should see a menu just use default.

After successful you should see the Desktop

From the Start menu (lower left just like old Windows) open the File Manager browser.

Browse to disk and the location of your EAW files from step 1. These you need to copy.

You will see the File Manager (explorer) menu. Note the drives and folders.

The live folder is the target folder you want to copy your EAW 1.28e Fullversion files to. Don't use another folder. Don't use the original EAW1.28eFullversion folder you need to just copy your EAW files and dump them all into the 'live' folder with no other containing folder.

Now go to start menu again and open a terminal (command prompt)

In the terminal enter this exactly
wine "/home/live/eaw.exe"

or the exact path to the eaw.exe you just dumped into the live folder. (Maybe it differs on Windows machine?)

Note that the only way the game will work by this method is if you put the files into the /live folder. If you put them anywhere else you will inevitable see nothing happen or eaw make an error message KeyList.str not found and ctd, same. See EAW error Can't find keylist.str or remapabl.str. If you check the live folder you will see that eaw has made an eaw.ini file in that folder and a hof.dat file and no other eaw files. They are 2 files the game writes at launch. That is a sure sign you have put your files in a wrong folder or maybe have another containing folder. Or if you are not using my eaw1.28eFullversion download as it contains the needed files keylist.str and remapabl.str needed to be added to EAW (see my webpage How To get and use EAW 1.28e version in Wine on Linux
And or if you get the error You need an EAW CD likewise.
Otherwise, with no error you will hopefully happily see the EAW Game mainscreen
followed by various screens as you select and go to fly EAW 1.28e ▶
Cheers and Tally-Ho!

[Linked Image]
That's all I have for now.
For support you'd have to read about Linux and / or the threads here or at Mark's EAW Help site
Maybe sometime I'll try USB persistence.

Attached Files sparkeawtest-a13.png
Last edited by FsFOOT; 09/13/19 07:15 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4489208 - 09/12/19 04:52 AM Re: EAW from a Live USB [Re: FsFOOT]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Not trying to start anything, but isn't the entire concept in violation of copywrite law and EAW's IP?

You gota love Linux! If I ever replace Win98, it will be with Linux.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4489262 - 09/12/19 06:34 PM Re: EAW from a Live USB [Re: FsFOOT]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I never heard the term Live USB, But from what I gather your running an OS on the thumb drive aswell as the game?

EAW is sorta portable, except the reg entries windows OS use to run it. You probably could run win95/98 on a usb drive to, if not soon. Then launch the game in a similer fashion as your linux setup.

Anyway interesting that your still experimenting with EAW.

#4489293 - 09/12/19 11:44 PM Re: EAW from a Live USB [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'

Not trying to start anything, but isn't the entire concept in violation of copywrite law and EAW's IP?

???.. Not to my knowledge.

I'm Not offering a package that combines EAW with Linux in a download. I simply posted separate links to what AFAIK is free downloads for non-commercial purposes.

That said I will answer in case you or anyone may think its somehow violating the SparkyLinux groups rights, or Debian GNU/Linux etc.

The information I posted about SparkyLinux "Live" and link to the SparkyLinux download is no violation of any copyright of SparkyLinux or other.

I refer you to a quote below from the about page at the SparkyLinux website

Originally Posted by https://sparkylinux.org/about/

SparkyLinux is a GNU/Linux distribution created on the top of Debian GNU/Linux operating system.
Is Sparky free?
Yes, Sparky was, is and always will be free of charge for end users.
Simply grab Sparky iso image, burn it to a blank CD/DVD disk or copy to a flash USB disk and use it to launch your computer.

(p.s. Actually if you intend to use it "Live" you don't just 'copy' it. Use a suitable program to burn it to the USB disk or aka ThumbDrive)

(to answer per your ? of EAW IP?)

As to the rest of your post - EAW IP? - why are you asking here?

If you don't wish to start anything then don't here!

Please don't attempt to 'bomb' my thread or make controversy to 'bury' this information.

Frankly as far as EAW IP rights I stand on this agreement freely available for anyone's perusal from my website link below:

http://eawonlinux.neocities.org/Atari%20-%20Simhq%20&%20%20European%20Air%20War.pdf

Originally Posted by A RENEWAL OF GOOD FAITH (paragraph 4)

In this way it is also understood that no such discussion or game development shall
pertain to, be directed at, or be in furtherance of any activity that seeks to, does or
will exploit such game code or the game title for any commercial or profitable
purpose, that thereby diminishes or dilutes the good will in or to such game and/or its
trademark (in part or whole), or that otherwise disparages or casts a negative light on
Atari Interactive in any form, any of its affiliates, and/or their respective intellectual
property rights, business activities, or ownership of the aforementioned title proffered
upon this agreement.

Additionally I have copies of the direct email from Mr Chenais the Atari CEO (and now complete owner of ATARI brand lock-stock and barrel) from his personal blackberry phone that futhermore said, to paraphrase, "We could offer .exe's or downloads or any packages we wanted at the SimHQ forum as long as it was for non-commercial purposes, etc..

(we to my understanding meant the then major long-term members of the SimHQ forum present at the time, most of whom who were also members of SEAWC and the newly formed EAW Code Group who were participating in the discussion with him via 3rd parties and programmers - I won't elaborate here its not the place to! )

My EAWonLInux website offers links to downloads of EAW that are no different from those offered by the code group, MrJelly and Sandbagger's.

Anyway if you want to make a controversy please get out of my EAW on LIVE USB thread!

If you have some issue don't single me out when for over 10 years MrJelly and Sandbagger's has offered downloads of EAW spinoff's...

I'm the only one in all these years that has made headway into the use of EAW on Linux.

It all started when a certain Game Developer supposedly representing RetroGames could not get the game running on Steam.

While I don't understand Steam APi, etc. like maybe you would being a programmer above my meager old-school hacking skills., I do non-the-less have a certain penchant for studying, then hacking about with stuff and getting it to work.

If anything the company that has any IP rights to EAW (and franky there is none now for the 1.28e which is not copywritable IMHO since it contains extra source code not made by any Game company IP holder and not covered by any agreement that would allow commercial use of the product without a long legal battle.

Ok well, that wasted about 1 hour of my lifetime... and to what end? I only made so many dedicated efforts to EAW which might make any re-issue of the product viable and no one ever paid me a dime...!

And it may behoove me to actually pursue a contract soon to end this controversy once and for all - but then one may be under a non-discloser agreement already - in which case I couldn't say so , now could I?
I'm sure some of us here are familiar with such contracts. Not to mention names.. umm.. Aldo..

Did I mention I already worked for one of the largest game companies in the world and probably know more about such matters than most people here?

Anyway if you want to make a controversy please get out of my EAW on LIVE USB thread!

Moving along..

Originally Posted by MarkEAW

I never heard the term Live USB, But from what I gather your running an OS on the thumb drive aswell as the game?

in answer, yes per the OS. see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB for info about Live USB.

and NO per EAW on the same thumb drive.
Originally Posted by me

I'm Not offering a package that combines EAW with Linux in a download.

I specifically state my method:

1. Download the EAW 1.28e Fullversion to a disk other than the USB that will be used for the Live version Operating System. This can be a disk on the PC already - (see NTFS and Windows warnings!) or a removable disk USB or DVD, etc.

However that doesn't mean the game could not be technically barring legal arguments.. please don't ask! either via a persistent USB or a remastered Re-spin

As you might read on the SparkyLinux Linux website one is allowed to make Sparky "Re-spins" and also if you examine the SparkyLinux GameOver edition there are a bunch of games and emulators already included.

Just try it !

Anyway hopefully all controversy settled.

I won' be answering any other question here unless they specifically are per technical to help you get EAW working on Linux and not covered by the many thousands of Linux help sites out there (just Google)

Once again, anyone FYI:

If you want to make a controversy please do it elsewhere.. and get out of my EAW from a Live USB thread please. Thanks!
Now if its just a misunderstanding, no need to reply here.

Adios..
9-12-2019

#4489297 - 09/13/19 01:07 AM Re: EAW from a Live USB [Re: FsFOOT]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Sorry, I was mistaken as far as my questions. I read things too fast I guess. :\

Thanks for the Linux info though. If I make my old computer use Linux at some point this info will come in handy! smile

#4489318 - 09/13/19 07:17 AM Re: EAW from a Live USB [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Ok
Maybe it was my title that caused the confusion after all..?

I changed the thread title to EAW + Live USB to avoid confusion.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.