Page 55 of 64 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 63 64
#4487703 - 08/27/19 10:10 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Leaning forward into the rebuild, I've been thinking of changing the paint scheme from the Verdun camo to an ersatz Clear Doped Linen (which inevitably comes out as a light tan), but with the roundels still only on the bottom of the wings.

First, it will be a heckuvalot easier to paint, and easier to touch up with just one color versus four. Well, five, with trim.

Second, it will be a nice milestone marker in the life of the aircraft.

Every bit of fabric has to come off of the aircraft for inspection anyway (except for the tail, which is totally untouched), so I might as well do something different.

I'm going to talk to Robert Baslee about the tail wheel design as well. It's craptastic for pavement, and a lot of my "swishing" on landings is the fact that it's tilting back and forth.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4487717 - 08/28/19 12:19 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
You know, Dart, I’d be thinking that after two crashes maybe going on with that airplane may be a case of “Bad Ju-ju”.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4487741 - 08/28/19 01:25 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
My response to the same lines of reasoning on the EAA forums:

It [the forced landing] is a big deal, and I feel like I've failed to communicate my attitude towards it properly.

First, when adversity strikes, I've always looked at it, learned what I could from it, and then moved forward.

Endless second guessing and "what ifs" are, in my experience, useless endeavors. Could I have been killed or seriously injured? Absolutely. Should I let that fact alter my goals and aspirations? For me, that's a no. I'm just not built that way.

Second, I always look at what's still good when faced with adversity rather than focus on what's bad - not just in this matter, but in all matters.

It's easy to look at my poor little Nieuport and give a list of all the things that were broken - longerons, gear, cowl, etc. - and throw up one's hands.

It's just as easy to take a second look and see what's still good - a lot of tubing, the elevator push-pull rod, nuts and bolts, two wings, tail feathers, instruments, and on and on - and work from there.

In the strip down process, if something looks remotely questionable, into the scrap pile it goes. If not, why not re-use it?

The aircraft design itself is sound, and there are hundreds of examples (including the Graham Lee versions) that have flown and are still flying. Indeed, where one might see a mangled mess on the side of the road, I see and aircraft that - thanks to it's tube and gusset design - crumpled nicely to protect me from serious harm. The fact that there has been only one fatality in type (flight number one, with a bunch of factors involved) went into my decision to build it in the first place.

Would it be safer to build a Carbon Cub or an RV-7? Dunno. Maybe. But neither fit what I want an aircraft for.

The facts of the matter are that I somehow went through seven gallons of fuel in thirty-five minutes, which screams fuel leak (at least to me and the FAA man), leaving me 3,000 feet up with a stilled propeller. I did that which was required to ensure my safety and those on the ground the best I could - and since I'm here typing, it serves to validate my decisions on landing point. Say what one will about my abilities as a pilot - I never shy from the fact that at 135 hours behind a stick I'm still learning - but on that day I was on my game.

Was I lucky? Yes and no. I sure put a lot of my chips into the "lucky" column to where the outcome of the forced landing was going to be in my favor.

I flew her all the way down and landed on top of that tree. The plane had almost no forward momentum when she came down from it, and when she did, she was level to the ground (though pinwheeling a bit).

I put her down next to a road that had light traffic on it. Should I have needed serious assistance, help was a cell phone and an ambulance away; there would be no searching for me.

I let the design of the aircraft work for me. Having two big ol' collapsible wings making a cage around me as well as fuselage that would likewise collapse goes a long way to reducing G forces on a sudden stop. Where one might look at a Z shaped landing gear strut and cluck, it warmed my heart to see it.

Light, collapsible design + low momentum = "luck."

Indeed, rather than looking at the picture and saying "wow, maybe a different design is in order," my thoughts are "wow, there is no way I want to wreck in anything else."

Know what would have been unlucky? Taking on the power lines or the road with traffic on it. Shooting for a remote field with a fence across it. Trying to extend or shorten the glide for a marginally better landing spot. Trying to stretch to Pell City and winding up in the lake.

As to an aircraft with "a history of crashes," well, I'm not looking for resale value. When I'm done with her, she'll either be donated to hang from someplace's ceiling or recycled into beer cans.

And will I improve the fuel system to prevent what we suspect happened (that in high turbulence I most likely kicked the barbed fuel fitting at the bottom of the tank, which is placed to where that can happen)? Most definitely. I was wearing my steel toed work boots that day, so I could do that without feeling it. Then again, judging from the dents at the bottom of the fuel tank, those boots probably saved me from broken toes.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4487745 - 08/28/19 02:02 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Didn’t your sight fuel gauge show that you had little fuel and was losing it rapidly ? Couldn’t you smell fuel ?

I’m just asking to get an understanding of things.

About my “Bad Ju-ju” I’m not faulting the design or build. I’m just saying maybe there is “Bad Ju-ju”.

You know I’m on your team about this whole adventure and have been one of your biggest cheerleaders.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4487748 - 08/28/19 02:29 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
No, didn't smell fuel, and yes, I saw it when it went from four gallons to nothing in what seemed to be about 30 seconds.

This isn't too surprising when one considers the fuselage is under vacuum while in flight, with the air entering from the cockpit hole - it's enough to where the fabric at the tail on the turtle deck stretched over time to sag against the stringers.

smile

No offense meant; I'm just exposing my mindset on the whole deal.

Last edited by Dart; 08/28/19 02:37 PM.

From Laser:
#4487828 - 08/29/19 02:19 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Since it was a "high visibility" event (it made the newspaper), the NTSB exercised it's prerogatives and took over the investigation, deciding that pawning it off on the FAA wasn't good enough.

So, different forms and slightly different documentation required.

The NTSB guy was professional, friendly, and candid.

It's nice to now have two government types tell me that I was kind of humped on where to put her down, and that I made a good decision of the poor choices - and did it well. One of the reasons I picked the side of a road was I figured that I'd need trailer access for the aircraft and if there was need for it, easy access for an ambulance, something he picked up on just looking at area - and one he heartily agreed with.

He did cause quite the excitement at the airport, as one of the first things the NTSB does in an investigation is to secure the aircraft.* He showed up out there, flashed his badge, and had them change the locks on the hangar. According to folks that were out there, the less-than-sharp workers just about spazzed out about it, getting so flustered they claimed they had no way of reaching me - even though my home phone and cell numbers are on the little index card for rental information.

So I called the FAA guy and he gave me the NTSB guy's number.

Luckily I had brought home my pilot's and airframe logbooks when I was up there last, so I didn't have to drive all the way up there to fetch them (along with having the NTSB guy call out there to allow me access).

It's also good that I actually keep all the logbooks up to date. With an Experimental, airframe and engine logbooks aren't required - one need only record the last year's Condition Inspection to stay in the regulations. But I went the opposite way, keeping record of all the repairs and improvements with pretty good notes, down to recording every flight in the airframe logbook. It will be a neat bit of history that tells the tale of the aircraft itself, while the pilot logbook tells the story of me as a pilot.

I also put remarks into the pilot's logbook - since there's a big space for it, why not? The FAA guy and the NTSB guy were surprised by that, but liked it. Whether the day was bumpy, I greased the landing, bounced it, or it was just stunningly beautiful, it's there. It also shows that I'm not just goofing about, as I'll put down when I practice basic maneuvers, from ground reference to steep turns to practice forced landings (!). When I'm sitting in the old folk's home sipping whiskey and looking at the clouds, I'll also have something to thumb through and recollect the times that little biplane and I took to the skies.

The other good news is that my healing time nicely dovetails with cooler weather - I won't be fussing around with plane bits when it's 120 degrees in the hangar. I figure about the time when the weather warms back up for prime flying the plane should be ready to go back up for it.

My plan of attack is after stripping everything thus:

Fuselage - completely disassemble, figure out what's still good, put it to the side, take the scrap to the recycler, and rebuild it. It's pretty much a from-scratch build process, as the longerons are toast. The tail wheel design is going to be improved. Once that's on new gear, move to the wings.

Wings - the right wings are pretty much a complete do-over, with not much more than the bolts able to be saved. Maybe a rib or two, and the drag/anti-drag fittings can be re-used. The left wings will be stripped and inspected, and I think I'm going to take off the leading edges and re-do them in a different technique. That way they won't look like I routinely fly through hail storms. smile

Tail feathers: strip and inspect. There isn't so much as a wrinkle in the fabric on the horizontal stab, elevator, or rudder. I may not even strip the rudder.

Engine: Tear down and inspect. I might put the other crankshaft in it, as it's balanced better than the one in there now, and I can put on a better engine seal. Hopefully the head and the case came out without any damage. It took a big enough whack to bend the engine mount, so who knows?

I'm figuring three grand for repairs, with a *gulp" budget of five. If I wind up replacing the engine, well, that's where the upper limit comes from.

Then it's cover, paint, and put her back into test phase. The FAA man said it's up to me for how long to put it there, and I don't have to notify them about it.

* The hilarious part of "securing the aircraft" is that it's been in the hangar for a week with total access; if I was going to monkey with the evidence I'd of had plenty of chances for it. Gotta check that box, though!

From Laser:
#4487840 - 08/29/19 04:21 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
The case over here with 'hazardous sports' is that one is more at risk to life and limb driving to the activity!

Hope the rebuild all goes well Dart. We will observe with interest!

#4488257 - 09/03/19 06:43 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Last night I had a very vivid, lucid dream about the aircraft that was enough to wake me.

She was all repaired, in a light tan take on Clear Dope Linen with brown edges, and the nose of the cowl in white, with a few improvements that I've had in mind, along with the cartoon fox in the Martin N11 skin on her sides.

And so that's what form she'll take.

It's going to take a lot of work and a small stack of cash, but I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

From Laser:
#4488272 - 09/03/19 01:19 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
LOL, I just googled CDL paintshemes and ran into your Aerodrome thread from 2011. How time flies.

I actually like that idea a lot, makes the aircraft really clean and the prob and cowl stand out more. Couldn't find the Fox though. Given your wife is a Redhead the fox seems pretty appropriate. biggrin

#4488313 - 09/03/19 07:59 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
A Italian, Belgium or Russian scheme would be different than the usual French or British schemes.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4488316 - 09/03/19 08:46 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Oh, she'll be in French markings, as that covers both them and the USA.

Plus, some of my ancestors lived in Alsace at the time, so sort of a third.

smile

Last edited by Dart; 09/03/19 08:48 PM.

From Laser:
#4489018 - 09/10/19 10:54 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA

From Laser:
#4489022 - 09/10/19 11:15 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
That is pretty straightforward and doesn’t conclude pilot error. That’s a good thing. The only thing it leaves open is how the fuel line got broken.

#4489055 - 09/11/19 06:16 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
Hey Dart, so glad you ended up with “not much more” than a fall from a tall tree...
The report indicates the fuel line was connected between the rudder pedals, but without more details. Could you have inadvertently knocked it off with your feet while working the rudder?

On a side note for your new skinning, Alsace was part of the German Empire pre and during WW1
biggrin

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4489102 - 09/11/19 02:01 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I'll have to see if I have a decent photo to show the arrangement, but the fuel tank sits middle of the fuselage, just off the inside of the firewall and in front of the pilot.

The sump to the tank is a cylinder at the bottom, and I had a straight brass barb coming down off of it and fuel line that went down, over the top of the runner in front of the pedal (which is on a hinge, so it doesn't slide forward), and into the sump drain on the right bottom of the firewall on the outside.

So it could be a couple things:

1) As I was entering (or more likely, exiting) the aircraft I had been brushing the brass fitting (there was nothing around it, and it's a tight cockpit) and weakened it, so....

2) During the turbulence it either finally broke, the tubing moved to be caught by the rudder and pulled to snap it (which I'm starting to really think about), or

3) I somehow kicked it (less likely, but possible).

As to how to make it to where that's not going to happen again, I've been thinking of more than just a few improvements.

1) Move the exterior sump drain as close to center of the firewall as I can, and if I can't , put it through the floor. To heck with having a hose near a moving part.

2) AN fitting with a little cage of some sort around it.

I may also put a lip on the insides of the rudder pedals themselves to make sure my stompers stay fully on them away from the insides of the cockpit. I do not like the idea of loops.

(On Alsace, I know the history, including the notion that they were ethnically French and the propaganda around it, which is a historical oddity. My family had folks who lived there, and after WWI moved "back" to Germany - funnily enough, some of the ties with the supposedly French people who remained still exist - though they are omitted from family trees)

From Laser:
#4490806 - 09/29/19 11:16 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Have you started the rebuild ?

#4490869 - 09/30/19 03:47 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I like how they mentioned it 'settled' onto the trees. I imagine you just near stalled and plopping it neatly down and having a second or two to go 'well, what now?' before it sideslipped down to the ground biggrin

It's flying and the same as driving or any other venture in a machine there is always the chance of things going wrong as we all know. Your destiny in your hands Dart and you got to live it how you want to, only one shot on this big ball of madness shooting through space. Enjoy it before you hit that exciting retirement home being forced to watch reruns of Days of our lives while wishing you were chewing on a steak instead of drinking lukewarm soup!

Glad you made it through ok mate.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4490875 - 09/30/19 07:23 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Truly.

#4490883 - 09/30/19 11:10 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: oldgrognard]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Truly.

I know when my life has been passing in front of my eyes I have been too busy getting myself out of the sh!t to pay attention to it biggrin

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4491754 - 10/06/19 08:50 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I finally felt well enough to go up and do some exploratory surgery on my little Bebe, stripping the fabric from the fuselage and removing the engine.

Prognosis is mixed.

The fuselage is much, much, much better than I thought. The longerons are shot, but most of the cross tubes are just fine, as well as the major gussets, which are super thick aluminum. The standard thin gussets are also fine, but I'll replace them. The side and top sheeting is toast, as is the cowling. Getting a new spun cowl is $325. Ouch. Probably a new gas tank, too, as I beat the snot out of it during the descent from the tree. Another $325. Haven't priced the tubing, as I'll have to strip the wings and see what I'll need there before sitting down with a master list. How hard did I smack the ground? I bent the control stick a third of the way down, where it goes between my legs. smile

My 1/4 inch thick plexiglass was cleanly cut by one of the cabane wires as well.

The engine may need serious love. The intake manifold on the left side broke where it goes into the head, and the rear bolt looks like it might have bent. It may well be that the head itself is fine, or it may mean it needs to be replaced. Sooo, it could be up to 500 bucks, if the case and cylinders are okay (which I'm betting).

Looks like my initial SWAG on the cost of repairs of 3K may just be prescient. Good thing I got a job!

I like how they mentioned it 'settled' onto the trees. I imagine you just near stalled and plopping it neatly down and having a second or two to go 'well, what now?' before it sideslipped down to the ground.

I smiled when I read that, too. I didn't hit the trees as squarely as I'd of liked to, and it was more like 1) Hit the side of the tops of the trees, 2) pinwheel straight down into the ground from 50+ feet. Babette received an extra hug for protecting me the way she did before I left the hangar yesterday. She took a helluvalot of force for me so that I wouldn't be seriously injured.

Still no final NTSB report; I guess they put my little forced landing at the bottom of the priority lists.

From Laser:
Page 55 of 64 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 63 64

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.