Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 596 of 608 1 2 594 595 596 597 598 607 608
#4487991 - 08/30/19 07:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

A cat watched me suspiciously on today's ride. Clearly I was not worthy of being known as Pedals with Cats. Runs with Deer sits better with me anyway thankyouverymuch.

Sully the movie was pretty good, except for the part that I thought were a bit Hollywoody and meant to bump up the drama. As if ditching a passenger jet airliner in the Hudson wasn't dramatic enough!

I wouldn't mind seeing a dramatisation of the SAS MD-81 crash landing in Arlanda, perhaps it already exists in one of the Mayday, Airline Crash Investigation series that run on National Geographic Channel. As I remember it, the aircraft was deiced, then put in a cue before taking off, but without being deiced again prior to take off, it had already lost it's lift to a degree where the Captain had no choice but to put the air-plane down in the forrest around the airport. The pilot; Stefan G. Rasmussen had to return to the crash site to learn why he had corrected the trajectory just before the crash in a certain way and found out that had he not done so, the plane would have struck a solid object, a large protruding rock, if I remember correctly.

The finest aircraft I ever had the pleasure of flying in was the Vickers Viscount, what already at that time was nearing it's end of service life, even with smaller operators like Guernsey Airlines.

A couple of days ago, I enjoyed my evening supper in a nice restaurant situated near a harbour located north of Copenhagen and south of Elsinore, on the east-coast of Sealand with a view to Oresund and Sweden. The weather was very nice and I took a few snaps of the harbour, mainly filled with yachts and pleasure boats. A few boats were more regular but smaller fishing boats. One of them with a quite familiar name.

Attached Files pano.jpgjaws.jpg

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4487993 - 08/30/19 07:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

I have been remiss in my posting here. I am failing to do my part.

JRT, yes, the hurricane is a concern. But only for damage to my home since the wife and I are flying out to start our small vacation. There is a good window of adequate flying weather. Should be wheels up around 0815 tomorrow morning flying to Asheville, NC. Fuel and rest stop at Vidalia, GA. About 6 days in the mountains then flying to Virginia Beach, VA (KCPK) to visit my sister and nephews and wife’s niece. Then down the coast to Amelia Island (KFHB) with stops at Hilton Head (KHXD) with a possible stop at Myrtle Beach (KMYR). Visit some of wife’s family there then back home. Plan is 12 days. About 1,500 nautical miles in the air.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4488012 - 08/30/19 09:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

I had not thought much about hours spent virtual flying on the computer; interesting thought.

Wonder if it'd surprise anyone that I feel I have still learned some more about flying in the computer?

Yes, I feel I have, even with a CFI license. But then, we are always learning.
And not only about angle of attack approaches or "navy" style landing or chopper flying or in my computer short landings, tail draggers, short field landings, etc.
I think most fighters today use the Navy planting it on to kill the kinetic energy. The Air Force missed the angle of attack indicator wisdom in the old days. Just different approaches.

Some flight simulators have come a long way and are excellent.
Some things may not be duplicated, but those men and women building sims and their programs have done a great job.

PS:

Sorry fellas, missed the two above postings. Was not trying to be rude.

Nice pictures, McGonigle! Enjoy your trip OG.
I need to reach my sister, she on the path of the storm and hasn't returned my text yet.

Last edited by Fittop; 08/30/19 09:54 PM.
#4488073 - 08/31/19 06:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG AKA Runs with deer

Excellent pix, as always. You are surrounded by delightful places more than worthy of a snap. Take and share more. Are these phone photos. If so, which phone? If not, what camera and lens? I love walking the waterfront at Morehead City, NC. Everything from huge yachts to tiny sailboats with delightfully colorful sails. There are so many lovely working fishing boats loaded with catch and manned by picturesque fishermen and fisher ladies. A painter's/photographer's paradise.

The Vickers Viscount is a British medium-range turboprop airliner first flown in 1948 by Vickers-Armstrongs. A design requirement from the Brabazon Committee, it entered service in 1953 and was the first turboprop-powered airliner. (Wikipedia)

That flight you had must have been quite an experience. I flew a lot but nothing on an airliner before the 70's. Lucky you, I was comfortable but I missed missed a lot. Folks used to dress up in their finest duds to fly in the 50's and 60's. Today, you're lucky if what flyers wear today is just chaste, fairly clean and odorless.

The DC3 was the plane of choice for the airline that serviced our airport back in the 50's and early 60's. What a remarkable design that was. There are some still in service today.

OG:

Have a great vacation. I've been most of those places myself. We will watch the progress of this expanding storm with fingers, toes and eyes crossed for your property and your safe return to it. Looks like we will be dealing with it mid to late week next week. Like Floridians, we are used to these storms. My personal experience with the big storms goes back to Hazel in the early 50's. There have been so many more since then. That powerful storm's eye came right over my home town then made it all the way into Canada.

Fittop,

I was asked by an older guy, a pilot. So I figured it out best I could and next time I saw him I told him. 2,000 hours wasn't all that big a deal on a computer anyway. Particularly since I had so much time. My first flight sim was "Jet" way back in the early 80's on a BIOS crippled PC Jr.

We add your sister to our list of folks endangered by this new force of nature. We assume Mr. Trump will NOT be using nukes to stop this one so our fingers crossed will be for her as well.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4488076 - 08/31/19 07:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Roger. Thank you for the compliment. If you think you can induce me to take more snaps by lauding my amateurish efforts, you are probably quite right. That's phone photos; Motorola G6 Plus. The pan effect is something that happens when I take a couple shots, panning each snap. Somehow, somewhere, the discreet photos are joined, creating that effect.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4488152 - 09/01/19 04:36 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We have a cooler day today with highs in the low 80's F. Rain coming today but no signs of the hurricane yet. That will likely come on Wednesday. The big wind should be gone after Friday. The damage, if any, will unfortunately, remain. Fingers, toes and eyes still crossed.

Well, yesterday I said we are used to hurricanes here. I kinda misspoke. Not Cat 5 hurricanes. Good thing we have electric dryers these days. That thing would blow your laundry right off the line and into the next state. Maybe it won't hit us directly. Even so, unless it is downgraded it will cover half the state with damaging wind and heavy rain with the eye still offshore.

MG:

I remember when I used to have to stitch those incremental 360 degree photos manually. Then there was an app that tried to do it automatically but usually fell short and required help from me. We did not have smart phones back then. I did have a pretty good digital camera back then. The stitching was done on my desktop. Now a good phone is all you need.

I still have several excellent Runs with deer photos on my computer. For instance; I remember a certain frigid photo of deep snow on a bush and what are apparently two snow covered trash receptacles. Brrrrrrr!

Have you framed and hung any photos that you took with the Moto?

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4488160 - 09/01/19 06:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Hoping all will see through Dorian safe and sound.

Yesterday I went to the beach and had a swim although the sun was partly obscured by high thin cloud. Today's been rainy although not cold, certainly not a day for visiting the seaside. I went to the auto-dealer instead and tried out the new Mazda 3 which wanted very much to come home with me but I want to wait a bit and see what Renault is coming out with. I have to disappoint the U.S. Auto-industry as a Corvette and a Mustang are a bit steeply priced for me over here.

Roger; not, I haven't framed or hung any photos taken with my Moto. I suppose I could hang an old tablet on the wall and have it cycle through my proudest achievements - a very short list. And I've given up on taking a snap of Bambi as deer runs away the instance they see me point anything at them.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4488216 - 09/02/19 05:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG/ AKA Runs with deer:

I'm not sure how the phone format enlarges, I'd guess that process would be satisfactory,

I once was privileged to know the administrator of the local hospital in my hometown. He was an old school photographer with a talent for it. Every time I visited his home I was delighted by his professional quality work hanging throughout the house. He worked with color and B&W. I cannot remember which camera and lens he favored.

OK, I haven't tried it either. The process is surely so much easier digitally nowadays. You can control nearly the entire process. Depending on the size wanted, the 4 color printing process (CMYK) of large prints might need to be farmed out. The digital process makes that much easier. No need for creating the color separations and registration for mass printing on a press. You can deliver everything on a thumbdrive to your local printer or to your favorite digital printer online.

The process may be more complex especially if the photos will be prepared for a magazine or book. Good photogs take lots of photos. That way at lest one will be satisfactory. Let's see more.

#4488278 - 09/03/19 02:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Stay safe folks.
Sister located, they will move to a nearby hotel due to need for services. Think they are far enough to make it OK.
Rather read about photos and airplanes and the outrageous prices of sports cars (also overpriced here, MG) than damages and losses.
Heads down for a couple of days, Roger. We're hoping all you guys get is a bit wet.

#4488289 - 09/03/19 04:48 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks:

Fittop:

Ditto. Las report I saw (11 AM) the storm is "expected" to brush us as a Cat 2 on Thursday/Friday. Morehead City will likely get hit hard and the Outer Banks. We have a psychologist friend living on the sound side at Morehead. He has folks checking on him who will keep him out of danger.

The storm is 200 miles wide so NC will likely see wind and rain as far west as Greensboro and Charlotte. That would mean power outages,flooding and maybe up to 60 MPH wind gusts here. We'll be OK. We've done this before.

My step grandson and a big part of the US Navy are located at Norfolk. They are preparing for the big blow. The rest of us, along with a new rescue dog, are hunkering down at home. My son's house is not far from here and he says he will be ok. As his job is some miles from here in Durham, he does not have to report for work until the danger has passed.

The only thing that really worries me is a long power outage. We'll see the 90's F. today with high humidity. It is always incredibly hot and humid after one of these storms, so that will keep us uncomfortable, without A/C. refrigeration, hot food or running water for a bit.

I just received a phone notification that mandatory evacuation orders have just been posted for the port city of Wilmington. We can be thankful the storm appears to be weakening as it comes for us. Thanks for your good wishes.

#4488306 - 09/03/19 06:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Here's an interesting YouTube video. Question: Was the remake of "The Flight of the Phoenix" movie unrealistic? This video was made by a 747 pilot. Check it out if you like.

tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kdjpHCPbqQ

In addition, I've recently noted several videos regarding the question : Can flight sims teach you to fly? If interested look those up as well.

#4488555 - 09/05/19 08:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Here's hope there is no damage to Roger and family at all and the bad weather stays away from everyone.

On the flying question I'm sure there is some debate. If we were talking old times I remember the no-movement sims we practiced on. How I wish I could have bid on the last one I saw sitting in a corner complete with canopy.
Bet that had a lot of electronics in it and would probably have been a nightmare to maintain. -And a pleasure to practice in.

No doubt a desktop computer can be useful. (My humble opinion.)
I have been known to turn the room lights off to better simulate night flights.
For a newbie, it would put one ahead at a lot lower cost in time and money.
I have checked out in airplanes where my first look at a real airplane was the familiarization flight; after the check-ride.

Talking with my son this morning, he said he's noticed that the new glass instrument panels make for lousy crosschecks by pilots using them.
Trying to give an annual to some folks he noticed they are handicapped by the lack of practice in navigation skills.

#4488563 - 09/05/19 10:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Thanks for your good wishes. We're all fine. Rain started at 3:30. Wind is picking up now. Flash flooding will be a problem for some (not us) and there are already some terrible damages of trees and property from several tornadoes spawned by this storm from miles away... one uncomfortably close to my son's house. No damage, thank goodness. No loss of life in the state from the storm so far. One water spout struck a RV Park.

Waves over 20 feet at Diamond Shoals right now and will likely to rise as Dorian passes. The new flag seen on camera from out in the Atlantic is whipping but holding on.(old one was shredded by hurricane Florence last year).

We hope OG got home safely or soon will. It is hoped he has or will find no damage at home.

Hopefully, our power will stay on. For their safety, repair crews cannot go out until wind speed does not exceed 35 mph. By 2 PM tomorrow it will be all over for us, probably for everyone.

Below, I post a graphic regarding my true feelings about Dorian.

Attached Files Dorian Sucks.jpg

#4488565 - 09/05/19 10:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Glad to hear fittop and JRT are well. Fortunately the storm path has spared many.

The northern islands in the Bahamas are devastated. Sympathies to the people there.

I landed at Asheville on Saturday morning, got a rental car, and the wife and I have been touring the mountains. Did good portions of Tennessee, got into northern Alabama, northern Georgia, western North Carolina and Northwest South Carolina. Wolves free-style road-tripping.

Another day or two in central North Carolina and then to Asheville, get the plane, and fly home. Friends have already told me our area got no storm activity.

And that’s what happened.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4488568 - 09/05/19 11:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OG:

So very glad to hear you and your neighbors were spared. It is our turn now and into tomorrow. I am far more concerned for our friend on the sound near Morehead City than for us. He usually rides these storms out on the third floor of his big house.

My idiot son once spent 30 minutes on the observation deck. Yes, as you no doubt suspect, he was well fortified with beer at the time. He was fine while braced against the teeth of the storm but nearly broke his fool neck going down all those stairs.

He told me he'd like to be down there for this storm. He is older and wiser now. I noticed he did not go.

#4488571 - 09/05/19 11:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

You are fine JRT. Storm far away.

#4488863 - 09/09/19 02:26 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hope everyone made it through Dorian OK, including JRT's friends in Morehead City.
All of my friends in its path of destruction are accounted for.
The hurricane, except for a mention of punishing parts of our Northern neighbor, has dropped from the headlines.

Here, the heat continues with highs in the upper nineties with promised relief all the way to the middle nineties by next week.
A quick glimpse of the headlines and I'm back to reading 33Lima's report of his escapades in BoBII.
Much less depressing.

In a couple of days, we will mark a national tragedy anniversary.
I'm still not happy with the new assigned name. It just doesn't fully evoke my feelings of that event.
9/11 We will never forget.

#4488886 - 09/09/19 04:17 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Still cooler here. Actually, that would be true if you believe temps in the 80's are cool. I believe if all the thermometers in the Lone Star state suddenly read 80, brother Fittop and his sweltering neighbors would be tempted to get out their caps and windbreakers and hoist the Autumn flags they have had folded in a drawer since last year.

Fittop:

Get in touch with OG and see if he knows a snow dance he might share with you hot Texans. BTW, I just updated to Win 1903 after many failed attempts over the past 3 months. There were only a few problems. Imagine how thrilled I am.

#4488961 - 09/10/19 02:59 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Good morning. Might wait on the snow dance. Wife considers snow a four-letter word. -Too long living in cold country.
Temps is 80 now, will go to mid nineties later.
Bet before Halloween we'll be wearing jackets. - And around this city, heavy jackets and shorts at the came time.
You know, suburb-chic. (Replace suburb with whatever city, town name that last served you greasy, onion-heavy food at an eatery.)

Just checked, and yes, still at 1809 W-10 version since April '19.
Maybe your Pro machine has different numerology?
Doubt it, but maybe MS has folks like some people I used to know that always want to change furniture around.
They might renumber every Spring if they change one stitch.

But congratulations on a smooth up-date. Would love to know how VPN is working for you.
I am just up to backing up every month as security version. I know it's not enough.
Based on time spent here, I need to do more than that.

Got the lady of the house an Apple computer. IMac 21" Happy birthday and Christmas!

I'm looking forward to it being set up. Looks like a beautiful screen in Costco.
I have been wanting at least a Mac mini for ages, but flight sims...you know the story.

Was outside for a minute. Rethinking getting together with OG for a snow dance.

#4488971 - 09/10/19 04:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Overcast today. Mid 80's will be the high. Low 80's yesterday. Trouble was, due to humidity, it felt like the mid 90's. 😩 🌡️

Fittop:

MS is checking out the myriad of problems installing 1903 and attempting to get everyone updated to 1903. This is because everything below 1903 will be unsupported soon. There is a Windows 10 Framework update as well. I got that yesterday.

I did not have a choice in installing 1903 this time either, 1903 was pushed to me. If this happens to a computer near you, don't forget to disconnect all USBs attached to that computer before accepting the update. Hey, if you are in the market for a new computer for yourself, as well, that will likely come with 1903 already installed. Another big update for Windows is likely coming in the fall. You'll need 1903 installed for that.

Incidentally, I now have John Wick 1-2- and 3. I've watched Chapter 3 3 times. I think it is the best of Keanu Reeves series so far. Although some of the fight scenes seem a bit too long. Not a bad problem to have with a John Wick film, I guess.

And to think, just a few years ago, many people wrote Keanu off as a clueless actor after "Bob and Ted" and their BIG adventure series. If he IS clueless he is laughing all the way to the bank.

PS: if you still have Prime, check out the Amazon film. "Late Night" starring that wonderful actor Emma Thompson. No violence, just fun. Also take a look at the Matthew McConaughey film "Lincoln Lawyer". Good courtroom drama. BTW "Lincoln Lawyer" refers to the fact that he works out of his Lincoln automobile. 😝

Page 596 of 608 1 2 594 595 596 597 598 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.