Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4484999 - 08/03/19 02:24 PM No Man's Sky VR update  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
The next expansion of No Man's Sky (called Beyond) will add VR to the game. It drops on August 14, you can get it on sale at Green Man Gaming right now for $25US.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/no-mans-sky/

I got it a few months ago planning on waiting until the VR update dropped. Out of curiosity, I started playing it and got a little hooked. It's fun - exploration, base building, fleet management, mission running, and some storyline as well.
VR reviews are all very positive, most saying it's a whole new game in VR.

The scenery is amazing too - the universe is procedurally generated and looks gorgeous. Check out the reddit group, r/NoMansSkyTheGame for tons of amazing screenshots.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4485366 - 08/07/19 01:16 PM Re: No Man's Sky VR update [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Plaguecrafter Offline
Plaguecrafter  Offline

Yep, the game is really fun and VR will bring in more people rightfully so. They upgraded the game so much after the launch debacle and it's very enjoyable right now. I highly recommend it!

#4488308 - 09/03/19 07:10 PM Re: No Man's Sky VR update [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Although the Beyond/VR update has been out a couple of weeks now I just started playing it this weekend.
Theres good and bad in it.

Firstly as with most games that I'v played in pancake mode and then got to play in VR the immersion factor has gone thorough the roof,
a game that was already very pretty is absolutely stunning in VR, standing on a moon and looking up at its ringed host planet is just WOW.

I have read in the Steam discussions that some have had FPS issues but it runs buttery smooth on my system, but it is fairly high end.

I'm still in two minds about the decision to make it so you have to use your VR controllers to play, no keyboard and mouse or Xbone controller or HOTAS support in VR frown but I am getting used to it, I would still prefer to use my X55 for flying though.

Its still buggy in places and I'v been hit with one that may prevent me from continuing the main quest frown and that's disappearing quest markers.

I started a new game for the update and got as far as the the one where you have to triangulate your position by placing beacons where it tells you to.
I placed the first one OK and followed the quest marker to the second location. Unfortunately it was on a planet with extreme sentinel activity so as soon as I landed by the marker and got out of my ship I was under heavy attack so I jumped back in my ship and headed for orbit. Then I noticed the quest marker was gone and I'm damned if I can find where it was supposed to be anymore.

From my Googling about it it seems to be a common bug so if I cant find a solution I guess I'm SOL as far as the main quest goes unless I restart.
I may not bother with the main quest at all and just explore and enjoy the sights instead, maybe see if I can reach the galactic core.

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#4488335 - 09/03/19 11:06 PM Re: No Man's Sky VR update [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I just did that quest too, the aggressive sentinel thing is a problem, I agree. I managed to kill the first one, use the beacon, then kill the next the two and get out of there in time.
But I've had markers disappear on me, esp on manufacturing facilities. Now I keep a save beacon handy to drop at them so I can use my ship to blast open the doors and not lose the location.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4488553 - 09/05/19 08:47 PM Re: No Man's Sky VR update [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Since releasing the Beyond update on August 14, they released 17 patches for it! They release them in little bits rather than one big patch, it's nice to get the fixes along the way rather than just shelving the game for a few months until a big patch comes out.

-Robert Heinlein

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.