Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4488095 - 08/31/19 11:43 PM China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon

China's Chang'e-4 lunar rover has discovered an unusually colored, 'gel-like' substance during its exploration activities on the far side of the moon.

The mission's rover, Yutu-2, stumbled on that surprise during lunar day 8.

The discovery prompted scientists on the mission to postpone other driving plans for the rover, and instead focus its instruments on trying to figure out what the strange material is.

Day 8 started on July 25; Yutu-2 began navigating a path through an area littered with various small impact craters, with the help and planning of drivers at the Beijing Aerospace Control Center, according to a Yutu-2 'drive diary' published on Aug. 17 by the government-sanctioned Chinese-language publication Our Space, which focuses on space and science communication.

On July 28, the Chang'e-4 team was preparing to power Yutu-2 down for its usual midday 'nap' to protect the rover from high temperatures and radiation from the sun high in the sky. A team member checking images from the rover's main camera spotted a small crater that seemed to contain material with a color and luster unlike that of the surrounding lunar surface.

The drive team, excited by the discovery, called in their lunar scientists. Together, the teams decided to postpone Yutu-2's plans to continue west and instead ordered the rover to check out the strange material.

With the help of obstacle-avoidance cameras, Yutu-2 carefully approached the crater and then targeted the unusually colored material and its surroundings.

The rover examined both areas with its Visible and Near-Infrared Spectrometer (VNIS), which detects light that is scattered or reflected off materials to reveal their makeup.

VNIS is the same instrument that detected tantalizing evidence of material originating from the lunar mantle in the regolith of Von Kármán crater, a discovery Chinese scientists announced in May.

So far, mission scientists haven't offered any indication as to the nature of the colored substance and have said only that it is "gel-like" and has an "unusual color." One possible explanation, outside researchers suggested, is that the substance is melt glass created from meteorites striking the surface of the moon.

Yutu-2's discovery isn't scientists' first lunar surprise, however.

Apollo 17 astronaut and geologist Harrison Schmitt discovered orange-colored soil near the mission's Taurus-Littrow landing site in 1972, prompting excitement from both Schmitt and his moonwalk colleague, Gene Cernan. Lunar geologists eventually concluded that the orange soil was created during an explosive volcanic eruption 3.64 billion years ago.

Chang'e-4 launched in early December 2018, and made the first-ever soft landing on the far side of the moon on Jan. 3. The Yutu-2 rover had covered a total of 890 feet (271 meters) by the end of lunar day 8.

The Chang'e-4 lander and Yutu-2 rover powered down for the end of lunar day 8 on Aug. 7, and began their ninth lunar day over the weekend. The Yutu-2 rover woke up at 8:42 p.m. EDT on Aug. 23 (00:42 GMT Aug. 24), and the lander followed the next day, at 8:10 p.m. (00:10 GMT).

During lunar day 9, Yutu-2 will continue its journey west, take a precautionary six-day nap around local noontime, and power down for a ninth lunar night around Sept. 5, about 24 hours hours ahead of local sunset.

Alien rubber dogsh*t?

Color Out Of Space?

Worst drivers on two planets?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4488110 - 09/01/19 04:41 AM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Fracture Offline
Fracture  Offline

Ohio
Uranus?

#4488117 - 09/01/19 07:50 AM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I'm going with the Color out of Space (or its variation, the Andromeda Strain).
Sounds more exciting than Space Nazi excrement.

Time for a space remake of The Thing.

#4488126 - 09/01/19 11:08 AM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: Crane Hunter]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
With this discovery and the earlier 'Ming Dynasty Boundary Markers', the Chinese have achieved more in one mission than the entire US and Soviet space programs...
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2019/01/09/china-discovers-ming-dynasty-boundary-markers-on-moon/

#4488128 - 09/01/19 12:18 PM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: mikew]  
jack72 Offline
jack72  Offline

Toronto
Originally Posted by mikew
With this discovery and the earlier 'Ming Dynasty Boundary Markers', the Chinese have achieved more in one mission than the entire US and Soviet space programs...

No kidding, since the U.S moon landing was filmed in Hollywood.

- I know those voices in my head are not real, but man they have some good ideas.

- I never killed anyone, but I have read a large number of obituaries with great satisfaction.

- If I cannot make it to your funeral, I will certainly send a message indicating my approval.

- Most of my Friends are Imaginary

- Time is money, so I decided to sell my watch.
#4488129 - 09/01/19 12:18 PM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: Crane Hunter]  
jack72 Offline
jack72  Offline

Toronto
What they found was just moldy cheese.

- I know those voices in my head are not real, but man they have some good ideas.

- I never killed anyone, but I have read a large number of obituaries with great satisfaction.

- If I cannot make it to your funeral, I will certainly send a message indicating my approval.

- Most of my Friends are Imaginary

- Time is money, so I decided to sell my watch.
#4488132 - 09/01/19 12:56 PM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: jack72]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted by jack72
Originally Posted by mikew

No kidding, since the U.S moon landing was filmed in Hollywood.

of course it wasn't - it was filmed at Shepperton Studios, England.

#4488264 - 09/03/19 11:11 AM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: Crane Hunter]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
[Linked Image]

Attached Files aliens.png

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4488287 - 09/03/19 03:54 PM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
So when is China going to release some pictures worth a #%&*$#?

#4488322 - 09/03/19 09:53 PM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
It's the symbiote.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4488336 - 09/03/19 11:06 PM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: Crane Hunter]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Yet another insipid clickbait fluff article that will be forgotten about in a couple of days. It’s all part of the news media cycle in order to justify their jobs.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/03/19 11:08 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4488360 - 09/04/19 01:48 AM Re: China's Lunar Rover Has Found Something Weird on the Far Side of the Moon [Re: Crane Hunter]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

uhh that's our Starwars base

Code
This topic has been banned by the NSA

..Oooops!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.