Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4488113 - 09/01/19 05:16 AM Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly  
Flying Tiger Offline
Flying Tiger  Offline

Geelong . Australia
G'day Folks

As mentioned earlier, have got western front 1.28e up n' runnin'
on windows 7/64 bit, however all the menu n' hangar screens
have the irridescent pixels in em', in game is perfect. What's weird
is one day i opened the game n' all the screens were fine, next day not.
Have set compatibility to win 7, xp service pack 2 n' 3
but none make any difference. Any ideas how to fix?

ta in advance
Ade

Flying Tiger
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4488116 - 09/01/19 07:33 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: Flying Tiger]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Good to see you posting again smile

I run Win7 and if I fly anything other than multiplayer I need to run EAW via the D3DWindower.
Otherwise the target map screen is impossible to use
With the D3DWindower it runs perfectly smile

Cheers
Tony

Last edited by MrJelly; 09/04/19 08:28 AM.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4488121 - 09/01/19 09:01 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: MrJelly]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
I run EAW through DgVoodoo 2, also on Win 7. This also seems to eliminate these problems for me, although I get a kind of hanging mouse pointer image on the screens.

DgVoodoo also gives me an extra advantage, as I have an nVidia graphics card, which normally precludes having horizon fog on D3D. With the voodoo, I can run my EAW on D3D with horizon fog and it also allows me to have proper widescreen.

#4488131 - 09/01/19 12:50 PM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: Flying Tiger]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Flying fine on win 7..messed up menu screens but used the menu screen fix I got from Mark and it all looks and runs great.Still can't get PRO running but AOE and 1.60 run sweet

Russ
Semper Fi
#4488147 - 09/01/19 03:31 PM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: Flying Tiger]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
Ade - good to hear from you!

I have a version of TWF in my 129 setup, which runs okay under W10/64bit:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The video card here is AMD Radeon 7770 Ghz Edition

#4488247 - 09/03/19 02:29 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: Moggy]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
Hello Mr.Kelly. It is good to hear from you.

I have wondered what happened to the Western Front. I followed the thread over the years and had fun painting Udet's tri-plane.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!

#4488275 - 09/03/19 01:30 PM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: Flying Tiger]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Mike
Two things happened.
For whatever reason Pobs was unable to finish the target map.
I made a new tile map and target map for a bit of multiplayer fun when it looked as though it would never be finished.
My tile map was the first EAW one that was not 640x480 and it served as a good test for the new code. It is 256x160 so it covers a limited area of Europe, centred on the Western Front.

Secondly many of the flight models were not done, and we had a number of WWI planes flying a over 300 mph.
AO (Roller) fixed a few, but as Ralf could no longer work we never got a complete set of WWI planes with appropriate flight models.

The package I produced included all of Ade's stuff (skins, screens, TMods etc) apart from his "Europe1.pic" which could not be used with the 256x160 tile map, and we did have a bit of multiplayer fun with it. As the good planes were slow I made a frontline and moved targets and bases close to it for ground-started missions.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4488447 - 09/05/19 12:21 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: SkyHigh]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by SkyHigh
I run EAW through DgVoodoo 2, also on Win 7. This also seems to eliminate these problems for me, although I get a kind of hanging mouse pointer image on the screens.

DgVoodoo also gives me an extra advantage, as I have an nVidia graphics card, which normally precludes having horizon fog on D3D. With the voodoo, I can run my EAW on D3D with horizon fog and it also allows me to have proper widescreen.

This is of interest to me. I have a fairly modern Nvidia 2060 OC Pro Gfx card (tweaked) and have had good experiences with D3W windower-- which the OP might consider. Using the D3W wrapper gets rid of the psychedelic colors, and cleans up the menu screens. Details on how to set it up on Mark's Help Site I assume it has a slight negative effect on frame rates, but I could be mistaken.

However, the set-up for Voodoo , particularly in conjunction with D3W seems a bit daunting, although Mark's Help site has some info. Can you provide some guidance on the Voodoo thingy? I, too, have a mouse pointer at center screen, and getting rid of it is tops on my list. Help on THAT is VERY welcome!

I am running multiple EAW variants on Win 7, and am trying to progress to running all variants on Win 10. That effort is outside the parameters of this discussion, but helpful advice is always welcome.

Last edited by RIBob; 09/05/19 12:26 AM.
#4488449 - 09/05/19 12:29 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: Moggy]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Moggy
Ade - good to hear from you!

I have a version of TWF in my 129 setup, which runs okay under W10/64bit:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The video card here is AMD Radeon 7770 Ghz Edition

I will try it, and compare it to a modded FE2 game I have installed. Thanks for the work!

#4488470 - 09/05/19 07:55 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: Flying Tiger]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I will try it, and compare it to a modded FE2 game I have installed. Thanks for the work!

Why?
What is available is an assembly of a few things that were finished, plus other things just to make a test. It is not even a gamma let alone a beta, and you want to compare it with a Thirdwire commercial release? Mind you, even at this stage this version beats FE2 as far as multiplayer play goes. It is actually possible.
Mike
Two things happened.
For whatever reason Pobs was unable to finish the target map.
I made a new tile map and target map for a bit of multiplayer fun when it looked as though it would never be finished.
My tile map was the first EAW one that was not 640x480 and it served as a good test for the new code. It is 256x160 so it covers a limited area of Europe, centred on the Western Front.

Secondly many of the flight models were not done, and we had a number of WWI planes flying a over 300 mph.
AO (Roller) fixed a few, but as Ralf could no longer work we never got a complete set of WWI planes with appropriate flight models.

The package I produced included all of Ade's stuff (skins, screens, TMods etc) apart from his "Europe1.pic" which could not be used with the 256x160 tile map, and we did have a bit of multiplayer fun with it. As the good planes were slow I made a frontline and moved targets and bases close to it for ground-started missions.

Last edited by MrJelly; 09/05/19 07:57 AM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4488545 - 09/05/19 07:54 PM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: RIBob]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted by RIBob
Originally Posted by SkyHigh

This is of interest to me. I have a fairly modern Nvidia 2060 OC Pro Gfx card (tweaked) and have had good experiences with D3W windower-- which the OP might consider. Using the D3W wrapper gets rid of the psychedelic colors, and cleans up the menu screens. Details on how to set it up on Mark's Help Site I assume it has a slight negative effect on frame rates, but I could be mistaken.

However, the set-up for Voodoo , particularly in conjunction with D3W seems a bit daunting, although Mark's Help site has some info. Can you provide some guidance on the Voodoo thingy? I, too, have a mouse pointer at center screen, and getting rid of it is tops on my list. Help on THAT is VERY welcome!

I am running multiple EAW variants on Win 7, and am trying to progress to running all variants on Win 10. That effort is outside the parameters of this discussion, but helpful advice is always welcome.

Search back a few pages of this forum to a thread I started on December 23rd 2018, which outlines how to use DgVoodoo2 in EAW. The thread is titled 'Horizon Fog in D3D'.

I do not have the problem with the mouse pointer in center screen, something which annoyingly happens even in the 3d. I understand this is usually eliminated by making a shortcut of your eawexe and placing it on your desktop. Run your game from this shortcut. You might have to also run it as administrator, not so sure about that.

For myself, what I get is a mouse lag, with multiple images of a ghostly mouse, but this only occurs on the menu and hanger screens and so on. It doesn't happen in-game and is only a minor irritant. It is, I think, unavoidable.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 09/08/19 10:00 AM.
#4488739 - 09/07/19 04:45 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: MrJelly]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
Gracias.. yep cat

#4488806 - 09/08/19 06:41 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: MrJelly]  
Flying Tiger Offline
Flying Tiger  Offline

Geelong . Australia
G'day Jel, Moggy, Iron Mike, SkyHigh n' Rus
Thanks all fer ye'r input with this, good to hear from ye's,
just wonderin', is the default Intel(R) HD graphics display adaptor
in Win7 sufficient or do I need another graphics card?
best
Ade thumbsup

Flying Tiger
#4488807 - 09/08/19 08:14 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: Flying Tiger]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I have a PC with a slot for my HDDs.
As I wrote I get corrupted graphics in Win7. With the same graphics card and the same PCI do not get corrupted graphics in Win10.
However, if I use the d3dWindower to run EAW in Win7 I do not get corrupted graphics, and I get a better frame-rate than in Win10.
The best frame-rate I get is in Win7 multiplayer, without the windower. For some reason there are no corrupted screens in multiplayer, so the windower is not needed.
Try the d3dWindower first. If there is still a problem then maybe consider a new card.

Here is a zip-file: D3DWindower download

If you need help setting it up let me know wink

wink Jel

Last edited by MrJelly; 09/08/19 08:20 AM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4488849 - 09/09/19 07:46 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: MrJelly]  
Flying Tiger Offline
Flying Tiger  Offline

Geelong . Australia
Righto Jel, will try d3d windower, ta fer the link
Ade thumbsup

Flying Tiger
#4489031 - 09/11/19 12:47 AM Re: Weatern Front 1.28e -menu/hangar screens not displaying properly [Re: Flying Tiger]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
Cheer mate!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.