Hop To
#4487740 - 08/28/19 01:11 PM Running old EAW utilities  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
It can be a real bind that some of the trad EAW untilities won't run under Windows 10.

I have three workarounds in case the info is any use:

(1) I still have an old computer running XP. Won't network with W10 now, but I use Bravura's Easy Compuetr Sync to transfer files via cable.

(2) Oracle Virtual Box - free utility which enables you to set up virtual machines on your W10 machine. I have one for XP, W98 and W95. With the XP VM it's easy to set it up so it can read your usual files outside the VM. Most of the old EAW utilities will run this way.

(3) DOSBox - another free utility, and you can make batch files and edit the DOSBox config file so that you with one click run the batch file, run DOSBox and within DOSBox run the utility. Again, you can set it up so it reads the relevant folders. Use this for the real old (1999-2000) vintage DOS type programmes (Hello DOM!).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4487758 - 08/28/19 05:01 PM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: Moggy]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Which old tools do you run under a virtual machine?

#4487759 - 08/28/19 05:28 PM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: Moggy]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

Most recently I have run DOM's Hills Generator under DOSBox, and Paulo Morais CDF extractor under the XP VM.

#4487762 - 08/28/19 06:10 PM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: Moggy]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Hmmm, the DOSbox seems necessary. of course for the DOS Tools.

Theres two CDF extractors that I'm remembering. One was DOS the other was supposedly for Windows.
I have been unable to determine yet how to get that specific Windows version of the CDF program to work on Win10 without a VM. I think I might have to resort to the DOS version of it. Since I dislike VMs,

Okay thanks.

#4487765 - 08/28/19 07:14 PM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: Moggy]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

My experience is that cdfrw.exe wont run under W10. I tried all the compatibility settings.

I'd encourage you to have a go at VirtualBox. Really the setup is not too bad, and the XP VM comes as a pre-package.

But failing that, DOSBox is very handy, and you can set up in the config file exactly how you want to use it.

I have a number of copies of DOSBox on the computer, setup to do different things. Even runs the manager programmes for DOM's original Attack in the West scenario and my original Dunkirk setup, which work under 128C.

#4487767 - 08/28/19 07:31 PM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: Moggy]  
MrJelly Online tunes
Veteran
MrJelly  Online Tunes
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Getting rid of CDF files was a big plus in the 1.28 development wink

In case anyone is wondering, the "no CDF" version of UAW140, and UAW150 have the default files in the "Savedata" folder in the root folder.
UAW160 has them in a "GameData" folder in the root folder., so instead of the UAW160 exe looking for files in the CDFs as a last resort it looks for them in the "Gamedata" folder wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4487769 - 08/28/19 07:55 PM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: Moggy]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Not a fan of where the extracted files are or blatantly how the stuff if organized. no offense The gamedata folder is an improvement. I'm not putting your work down.

But

As far a DOSBox, I used it in the past, you only need one copy of it on your computer and you can configure each instance with a seperate config file in the tools working folder.

But what do you mean the XP VM comes in a pre-package. Would that be an offical package or something someone managed to put together?

#4487776 - 08/28/19 09:14 PM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: Moggy]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

Check the VirtualBox website, and you may need to get hold of a XP setup disc, but as I recall the XP configuration came as part of the VBox Guest additions extension kit. It seemd fairly easy to set up.

Last edited by Moggy; 08/28/19 09:17 PM.
#4487793 - 08/29/19 04:02 AM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: Moggy]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
There are quite a few old EAW utilities that either do not work or do in a wonky sort of way. Win XP is the last OS they will work in. I understand it is because they used 8-bit architecture and Win 7 was the first that did not.

BTW, I have an old notebook that runs XP, I found it very inexpensively on EBay and use it for creating working skins.

#4487797 - 08/29/19 07:27 AM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: Moggy]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

DOSBox also runs on Linux.

I haven't tried it as previously like others I used an old XP or earlier machine for these old tools.

(Linux n more Tips:)

Windows 95 Is Now Available as an App for Windows, macOS and Linux

but note that what will function in this version is probably minimal, its not a 'full version' its experimental.

-------------------

Linux Tips:

Some "Live" disks / usb isos like antiX even have dosbox preinstalled: dosbox search at Ditrowatch

You could make a LIve USB or Disk image or one with persistence http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-17/FAQ/persistence.html

Mint doesn't have it pre-installed but can install it from software repositories which are accessed from the built-in "Software Manager".

For a dedicated machine for old games Sparky Linux GameOver edition is chock full of games https://sparkylinux.org/ - even runs on RasberryPi.
Has a "Live" disk https://sparkylinux.org/wiki/doku.php/start but not dosbox installed.

a bit more complicated Linux stuff;

You can boot some disk "LIVE" iso image from your hard drive or usb if they have what's called a loopback iso. To do this you either use Grub (Grub2) or rEFInd

-------------------

other tips for VM etc.

M$ used to have XP VM images.
When you use VM (Virtual machine) you need a special image. You can create these yourself but its a hassle, you have to install it. You can even get an image off the HDD hidden partition of many factory PC's and Laptops.
Anf you can also migrate an existing system to a VM image. Search Google.

---

Old Disks.

Old Windows disks used to have the previous version of the OS on the disk also in a tools or extras folder.
For example msdos 6.22
thats the last old 'dos' although there were earlier many versions of dos
the msdos 6.22 is not very useful frankly you better use msdos 7 for EAW era stuff in fact most won't even work on msdos 6.22

fyi Windows since 95 used MSdos 7.0
That is actually what most people now might remember the windows 95 commandline or cmd.
It could run most older ex; win 3.1 or "msdos' games and many of the EAW era programs.

------

Personally I recommend a dedicated machine is much friendlier than LIve disks especially for repeated use. If you are a hobbyist just have another machine for your old games and save a lot of headaches.

Dual boot is another way but gets techinical and old also because Windows constantly comes up with ways to hose your other OS setup.

#4488017 - 08/30/19 10:52 PM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: Moggy]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

That Win95 app looks intriguing. Hopefully there will be a win98 and ME one in the future.

I would prefer an app rather than a VM to run some of the EAW community tools.

#4488096 - 08/31/19 11:49 PM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Call me crazy, call me stupid, but don't call me late to dinner.

As a preface, Win 7 has an inherent, albeit rather limited capability within the Win 7 OS, to set up a Win XP Virtual Machine. It turns out, as with most other Virtual Machines, that the capabilities of the VM are limited, and not really well-suited to playing resource-hungry flight sims. In short, the VM feature is, as stated, is a limited capacity feature that is not well-suited for playing full-fledged flight sims--at least not modern ones. Fine for testing, but not really satisfactory for full-on gaming. No expert, personally, but all the advice I got steered me away from VM and Dual Boot computers.

I used to toy with the VM concept, and Dual-Boot concept. After reading-up, I did the following.

When I was setting-up my Win 10 gaming computer, I took my older Win 7 computer, along with virgin Win 10 computer, to my computer guy, and told him to set things up so I could access all the Win 7 stuff, and play the games contained within that separate HDD drive. IIRC, he did a clone of the ENTIRE Win 7 drive, and configured it as a "Slave drive" to the Win 10 computer. 2 Tb SSDs all-around. Plenty of room, and very fast.

So far, there isn't a single game I've tried, using the Win 7 Slave drive on my Win 10 computer, that doesn't work on my Win 10 system. All the games play using the vastly upgraded CPU, RAM, and GFX card now available on the Win 10 computer. VMMV. How this all works, I dunno, but it WORKS.

So, there you have it. Will probably discard the Win 7 computer fairly soon. No longer any need for it.

Last edited by RIBob; 09/01/19 12:13 AM.
#4488241 - 09/03/19 12:57 AM Re: Running old EAW utilities [Re: RIBob]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I gave up on Virtual Machine approach, as the feature had some serious, inherent limitations. It is useful for testing, but not running as a separate, resource-hungry computer. Not the intended purpose of VM, as far as I know.

Dual Boot requires a CLEAN install of the alterative OS--and NOT a copy from another computer. Then one installs the desired programs into the alterative OS. After a CLEAN install of an alternate OS, and paying the
$ for It, One will need to re-install everything into it. NO copy and paste, a complete re-install. This is starting over, from the beginning. It WILL work, but at a serious time/effort expense..

OTOH, I have a Win 7 drive, copied in its entirety that is set up as a "Slave Drive" on my win 10 computer. It uses the existing win 10 computer resources, and Gfx card, and plays very nicely. YMMV.

So far, and NO expert, can't tell the difference between the sims played on the Slave drive, and identical sims played on the native Win 10 system.

YMMV and all that, but I am playing Win 7 games never installed on my win 10 computer via the "Slave drive" So far, so good.. I don't claim that I know how this works, but it works for me. YMMV.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.