Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4486815 - 08/20/19 05:09 PM Interesting Nvidia drivers  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone

Last edited by dutch; 08/20/19 05:10 PM.
#4486907 - 08/21/19 10:29 AM Re: Interesting Nvidia drivers [Re: dutch]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

Does it do anything for us? I'll bung it in as usual with new drivers, but I'm not techie enough to report a 23% increase in whatever. I'll weigh in certainly....anybody else?

#4486931 - 08/21/19 02:35 PM Re: Interesting Nvidia drivers [Re: gaw1]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by gaw1
Does it do anything for us?

Effectively, I would say the odds that it will do anything for WOFF (or WOTR) are just about zero. Even if there's a difference, it would be negligible. That's just my opinion.

These things are almost always over-estimated by the manufacturer; it would be better to see objective reviews from reputable sources (Anand, ARSTechnica...there are many online.) My guess is review like this wouldn't show nearly the same type of overall performance increase.

Also, the improvements center around much newer and widely popular games - this is also often the case. Although I'd still say the 23% figure is ambitious even in newer games, they obviously did measure that - somehow. But there's the rub: Just like with any testing the test has to be objective and repeatable. Often not the case.

But especially in older games that don't use much of the newer technologies, I would expect any improvement to be marginal. For example, WOFF/WOTR still rely on the very dated DirectX 9, where most modern games have long since moved to Dx11 (standard with Windows 7) or 12 (standard with Windows 10). So, often the driver improvements take advantage of newer technologies which WOFF/WOTR just don't use. And I believe it certainly won't improve the most egregious graphical issue in WOFF/WOTR, in my opinion (stuttering).

Finally, as has happened more than once, there's always a risk loading newer drivers on older hardware and/or running older games. Many times the recommendation is to stay with/revert to an older driver.

Just my $.02 FWIW. Best of luck, in any case.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 08/21/19 02:40 PM.
#4486998 - 08/21/19 09:48 PM Re: Interesting Nvidia drivers [Re: dutch]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Well I updated (I play Forza Horizon 4 as well so I decided to update) - seen no ill effects for me on either WOFFUE or WOTR (and reshade also still works). Haven't noticed a real benefit yet in FPS in either title, but admittedly wasn't looking closely at that yet - only things seem to be working out just fine on my system (listed below). Just reporting in.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4487004 - 08/21/19 10:24 PM Re: Interesting Nvidia drivers [Re: Redwolf]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by Redwolf
Well I updated (I play Forza Horizon 4 as well so I decided to update) - seen no ill effects for me on either WOFFUE or WOTR (and reshade also still works). Haven't noticed a real benefit yet in FPS in either title, but admittedly wasn't looking closely at that yet - only things seem to be working out just fine on my system (listed below). Just reporting in.

As I said, I won't be surprised in the least that WOFF/WOTR don't change at all. Good that the newer driver doesn't wreck anything...but there is always that risk.

How about the "up to 23%" improvement with one of the titles they actually mention (in your case, Forza H4)? Seen anything near that?

One thing I didn't say above that certainly seems to apply is that all the improvements they measured are on three of the 20-series cards. I would guess that older cards won't see the benefits (like your 1060...not that a 1060 would be considered "old" in my book at all) .

#4487203 - 08/23/19 01:34 PM Re: Interesting Nvidia drivers [Re: dutch]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Haha great to see how everyone is so focused on FPS hahaha

#4487211 - 08/23/19 02:45 PM Re: Interesting Nvidia drivers [Re: dutch]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by dutch
Haha great to see how everyone is so focused on FPS hahaha

Well, perhaps you shouldn't say "everyone".

To be clear: I'm not over-focused on FPS, and I definitely have always disliked the general attitudes concerning FPS. Most often, that's all you hear, is a number (sometimes a few numbers, ie MIN/MAX/AVG) and to be accurate it really doesn't say a lot about ideal performance to me. I have always said I'd rather get 30-40 FPS steady than I would have a huge FPS number that cannot be maintained and applies maybe 5% of the time. For most people, a consistent frame rate and consistent frame distribution will yield the best video presentation. Even fairly high average FPS can still have massive stutter of > .25 or .5 seconds.

Here's an example:

FPS Time
120 1s
119 2s
20 < stutter

Average FPS = 114.12; fairly high. But during this relatively small amount of time (~16 seconds) the simple FPS practically grinds to a halt during a significant drop at the 8 second point. And this is actually only one way that frames can be poorly distributed.

What makes a motion picture appear smooth is the fact that the images occur at exactly the same frame rate, all the time. And it's much less than 120 FPS, or even 60. Yet it looks plenty smooth. The reason our perception of motion is smooth is because every image our eye sees is "updated" at exactly the same rate as every other image. No gaps, no drops, no stutters - and even at 35 frames, its smooth. (And "motion blur" has nothing to do with why, it's actually an undesired effect and lot of effort has been put into getting rid of it - that wouldn't happen if it were a good thing). TV and movies have been this way, and have remained unchanged since decades before anyone even thought of the term 'motion blur'.

I've often wondered how FPS snobs can possibly stand to watch TV or movies, because - like it or not - TV and movies are still recorded at 24 FPS (or is it 29.97...anyhow, it's not more than half of 60 and far less than any 120...). If these people can't stand a frame rate dropping below 100FPS without noticing, how is it their heads don't explode when confronted with 24 measly frames a second? You'd think they'd puke, like when someone shines their phone's stupid-bright LED "flashlight" right at your eyes...

Simply saying something like "I get 120+ FPS" is nothing more than internet forum bragging, and it's just as useless as it sounds. People who do that are really showing exactly how knowledgeable they are (not). What those people want is called "bragging rights". Most respectable reviewers and measurements have, for a long while now, considered several other factors beyond a simple raw (even average) frame rate.

What matters is how evenly the frames are spaced out, and how consistently they remain evenly spaced out...neither of which a simple FPS figure alone can account for.

My $.02 (supported by a few documented facts, of course) FWIW

Last edited by kksnowbear; 08/23/19 04:29 PM.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse