Hop To
#4487022 - 08/22/19 01:22 AM Planesets in EAWPRO  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
It's been mentioned in a recent thread that nothing is available for EAWPRO in terms of planesets. This is simply untrue and it has been explained many times before that EAWPRO can handle nearly every planemodel created for EAW bar multiplanes. There can however be issues with certain models irrespective of wether it's used with someone's filemanager or as standalone version. How these models behave without proper conversion is hard to predict due to improvements I added for moving control surfaces and weapons hardpoints and such.

Most planes can not use these but you won't miss what you can't see. More problematic seem to be the planes which originally were imported from Pacific Air War which often have leftover codes from that game which served no purpose in EAW but which were reactivated in EAWPRO to do other things then how PAW would have used them. Then there are the inactive action codes for moving surfaces incorporated by the code group which differ from the one's I used for the same thing but again what you don't see will not be missed.

I have not investigated what Rotton's planes use for actioncodes and in most cases these codes are used for generating animations which are only visible when present in the planemodel but I lack correct information on how these codes are used in other versions and can therefore also no say much about their behaviour when present or how EAWPRO will deal with them.

From experience I can only say that all models from Sandbagger's should not pose much of a problem other then an unwanted animaton here and there and are therefore safe to try. HiRes models as created by Col. Gibbon and derivatives were implemented without restrictions, the one's available from Sandbagger's that is and simmilarly many of these planes were incorporated into earlier versions of OAW into their subsequent planefolders. Planesets created with those verions can be moved into EAWPRO and should work fine, including the generated PLANES.DAT and .FLT files or flightmodels for these planes. The PLANES.DAT will also modify the guns used and adding the generated WEAPONS.DAT file will asign appropiate loadouts for the generated planeset.

The use of these files is unrestricted as far as I know, it's however not adviced to mod your OAW version by means of trying to incorporate the EAWPRO exe into OAW as it will not run without the files I added and it's behaviour in the filemanager has not been tested and is known to be largely incompattible with it due to the changes made in the program. If you tamper with it you do this at your own risk and I can not take any responsibillity for such action, not in ANY version of OAW or other filemanager.and I strongly suggest to stay away from giving it a try.

At Sandbagger's you have a choice of some 1.500 different planes and skins and I think people who like to experiment can try what's there but if you find it's not working right you'll have to remove the files manually yourself, not a real biggy. Wether you think it's worth the effort is entirely up to the adventurous and I can't foresee any danger when trying other then that the game may stop working or freeze during a mission or produce some unwated side effects. In the worst case scenario a reinstall is your best option.

BTW EAWPRO can use the stock tilesets but there will be 6 tiles missing, as explained various times in previous threads there is a terrain conversion BATCH file in the download's main directory and it will work with all the terrains at Sandbagger's, including those in other addons. The missing tiles may show as black though.

VonBeerhofen

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4487040 - 08/22/19 07:46 AM Re: Planesets in EAWPRO [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
By my definition a planeset is a set of 30 planes, complete with skins, FM data, and weapons data files.
You do not provide any, and expect users of EAWPro to do it themselves.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4487046 - 08/22/19 09:51 AM Re: Planesets in EAWPRO [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

I provide the prorer planesets with every addon I release, the one's which belong in that theatre, if I'd have more time I might consider to create more then one set and offer it as an addon for my addon but there aren't enough planes to do that for most theatres and I feel one set suffices for the right experience.. It's a set of 30 planes with everything needed to make the addon realistic. When people want to fly Japanese Zero's over Europe they can make it happen but it's not something I find interesting enough to play. It's not different with terrains, my addons come with the terrains which belong in that theatre but if people want to fly a desert terrain in a European theatre they'll have to make it happen themselves and as such it's not interesting to me whatsoever.

There are addons which come with the right sets of planes, terrain, vehicles and objects and to me those are the ones I love because they breathe the right atmosphere, and they don't require cumbersome actions from anyone to get a realistic experience of the battles fought in those theatres. Things belong where they belong and it's useless to swap things in and out when they do not belong in those theatres.

The fact remains that it's very dangerous to try and put EAWPRO into an environment for which it was not created and make people believe that a filemanager's features will now be available. They won't be because I didn't implement the necessity for such features, in fact I stepped away from it to be able to do more within the theatre an addon is supposed to handle and to give those addons proper objects which belong. It's how I want it and what I see as the best future of EAW.

Why fly a dangerous hybrid of things which I know isn't going to work and will not do what the filemanager promises? If people want to have such control then they can fly v1.60 which allows them to mess with such features but it shouldn't contain any of my work to make up for the lack of proper objects, sprites effects and all other things I created for EAWPRO and the FXEXE's. You can't get what you want Mr. Jelly not with EAWPRO because you're not in charge of making the right decisions for it, I am.

Now let it rest and concentrate on fullfilling the promises you made for 1.60 and create the things your version needs yourself if you can and if you can't then do not use my work to make up for it. You have this entire community's work at your disposal but you can't have my work as well.

VonBeerhofen

#4487051 - 08/22/19 10:52 AM Re: Planesets in EAWPRO [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

IDK about this planeset stuff. I first thought it was neat, but then it got so complicated with the UAW150/160 Custom Frontend.
I need plane name text and the plane image to be visual. maybe even a little animation.
Its the main obstacle to using EAW with fun. Thats why I play the basic game and EAWPRO. If those games had a FPS Counter, I probably wouldn't load UAW that often.

We need a programmer to program the EAW frontend with a better GUI for planesets, and streamline it with ideas from the CodeGroup and new ideas that would require less work just to launch the game.

I'm not knocking intentionally anybody's work. I'm just stating what I feel needs to be done to give EAW that push.

#4487055 - 08/22/19 11:46 AM Re: Planesets in EAWPRO [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

I'll see if I can squeeze a framerate counter into the mix, although I feel you get the best framerates with the lightest possible addon. When you fly that addon nothing will change it's frmerates, you're stuck with what that addon gives. It may help you test combinations of this addon in UAW and perhaps get a slight improvement, in EAWPRO you're stuck with what the package produces and only messing around with hardware options may result in a minor improvement which I think is neglectable.

Still it would serve me to be able to monitor FPS with the addon and it may also help others comparing EAWPRO against other versions, so I'm all for it but I can't make any promises if I'm able to replicate the version present already in the source code, it's not as easy as remming out a few statements and there you go in assemlly language. It's been on the menu for quite a while now but I tend to switch from coding to creating addons to break the boredom of programming, and there's a lot more I'd like to tackle, so it's also a question of priority. I hope you undersstand

VonBeerhofen

#4487064 - 08/22/19 12:46 PM Re: Planesets in EAWPRO [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Yes, I understand. Thanks for the consideration. smile

#4487192 - 08/23/19 11:03 AM Re: Planesets in EAWPRO [Re: MarkEAW]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France

Post deleted because of what I stated about the two development camps posting in each other’s threads.

Last edited by oldgrognard; 08/23/19 06:48 PM.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.