Page 54 of 64 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 63 64
#4486618 - 08/19/19 12:52 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: oldgrognard]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
If you need any help recovering the plane, transporting, or repairing let me know. You are just a short flight away. I have a capable A&P friend who can come along and won’t charge you a dime.

That's an epitome of why I still love and participate in this community, even though I hardly touch any sims these days smile

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4486695 - 08/19/19 06:54 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Get better soon Dart, glad to hear you safely back on terra firma.
Hope not too much wrong with the aircraft and you get back her back in the air soon.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4486716 - 08/19/19 09:31 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Just got back from the airport where the FAA man did his investigation.

Turns out that in all the turbulence (and there was a lot) I must have kicked the barb fitting on the bottom of the fuel tank, breaking it. There was fuel residue on the bottom of the fuselage to back it up.

So not pilot negligence - it's mechanical - and I remain out of Pilot Jail or whatever happens when it's found the pilot is at fault.

The plane needs the fuselage rebuilt, new gear, to right wings, and the precautionary engine tear down (it might be fine, but the left side valve cover is bent up pretty good so I need to take a close look at it). The left wings will be stripped, as will the tail feathers, for inspection.

I won't know how much of the fuselage stuff is salvageable until I unscrew the wing around it (the wings are in a big C around it, which is impressive) and strip it as well.

Robert Baslee from Airdrome Aeroplanes (who makes the kit) called me this morning to say he's glad I'm okay and tell me he'd cut me a break on any parts or junk I need (like ovalized tubing for the gear and cabanes), which I thought was pretty danged cool.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4486719 - 08/19/19 09:51 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Glad it turned out OK. Did he give you a case number or reference ?

About the airplane. Have you considered getting a Cessna 150 or such ? You built and flew an airplane so you can check off that box. It might be time to get a plane and do some flying rather than tinkering. If you still want to do some tinkering on an old airplane, an Ercoupe might be the way to go. Or get an experimental and tweak it.

I understand your desire to build and fly an airplane of your choice and dreams. However you are missing out on a lot of fun flying by being so limited.

Anyway, I stand by to help. That A&P friend would be available to help as well.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4486735 - 08/19/19 11:30 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I've been doing some honest cross country flying from point A to point B lately and I find it the exact opposite of what I love about being in an airplane!

Dead reckoning and straight lines at fixed altitudes is awful.

Nope, I rebuild her and keep flying paths that look like silly straws!

wink

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4486756 - 08/20/19 06:52 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Planes can be fixed. Darts cannot smile Glad you’re OK!

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4486825 - 08/20/19 06:25 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
But Dart, there is no requirement to fly straight lines and fixed altitude. Much of my flying is completely unstructured. Like we did when I visited you. You just pointed me around.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4486855 - 08/20/19 09:12 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: oldgrognard]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
But Dart, there is no requirement to fly straight lines and fixed altitude. Much of my flying is completely unstructured. Like we did when I visited you. You just pointed me around.

Sounds like my lunch time flights to Kirkwall, … "oh look what is that over there..." and another detour on a 35 minute direct flight from Wick to Kirkwall smile The Italian Chapel is quite nice from 500ft, as are the wrecks in Scapa Flow.

That was my usual Wednesday lunchtime, quick flight over to Kirkwall to have lunch and refuel the Cessna 152 then back to Wick and work.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4486887 - 08/21/19 04:02 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Stripped the fabric of the fuselage on one side when I went up today to fetch my logbook; FAA man wanted some info on how much I've flown in the last 90 days, year, total in type, total overall as he closes the investigation out.

Anyhow, while the wife was looking at me bug-eyed, I was chuckling.

Longerons are toast, but most of the gussets and cross tubing is in fine shape. Only one of the turtle deck stringers is bent, and not severely. None of the push-pull rods for the controls are damaged.

The right wing spars are segmented, but a lot of the ribs (which are just aluminum tubing) should be fine.

New firewall, side sheeting, gear and cowl, of course, and I'll have to tear down and inspect the engine.

Left wings need stripped and inspected, as will the horizontal stab and elevators, but they look pretty good.

All the hardware, with a few exceptions, looks great.

smile

From Laser:
#4486889 - 08/21/19 04:14 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
With everyone, glad to hear you are OK. With all the water I see you flying around maybe you should see about putting floats and landing gear on her this time. biggrin

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4487012 - 08/21/19 11:38 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
She really doesn't look all that bad, considering the 50 foot drop from the top of the tree.

http://SimHQ.com/forum/tmp/17968.jpg

[Linked Image]

Attached Files wreck.jpg

From Laser:
#4487014 - 08/21/19 11:47 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
A bit heartbreaking to see your beautiful little craft all crumpled like that. But salvageable, for sure!

#4487016 - 08/22/19 12:07 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
WWChunk Offline
WWChunk  Offline

SF Bay Area, CA
Glad you're ok Dart, that's some scary stuff!

#4487043 - 08/22/19 08:50 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Good grief, how did you come out of that virtually unscathed? Lucky chap.

#4487080 - 08/22/19 02:42 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
That last fifty feet of free fall must have been "interesting".

Of course after pancaking on top of the trees I guess it's all anti-climatic.

AND, how in the world did the prop make it undamaged ????

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4487096 - 08/22/19 04:38 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Oh, and I always thought I'd try and go in between the trees if that happened to me...was taught that.

But, from the pic it looks like that option wasn't there for you. Good old southern pine stands.

The guy who taught me how to fly pretty much brow beat it into me to always be thinking about where you would try to land IF. I seem to remember talking about pine stands with him, and I don't think there was a good option.

Good job Dart.

Glad you are still with us to put it all back together again.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4487103 - 08/22/19 05:37 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Yikes Dart. That looks scary. I'm glad you're OK.

Please make sure to be safe, however you move forward.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#4487158 - 08/23/19 02:18 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: BD-123]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by BD-123
Good grief, how did you come out of that virtually unscathed? Lucky chap.

The cockpit looks intact without much if any damage but the left wing is completely folded up almost like a pretzel. My guess is as the wing folded up it absorbed most of the impact forces.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4487163 - 08/23/19 02:57 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Counterman Offline
Counterman  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Dart -

Its been nearly 5 years since I've made any kind of post on SimHQ. I lurk every so often and have followed your aircraft since the beginning. I bring only simple qualifications to this discussion: private pilot, instrument rating, complex and high performance endorsements, and the son of a pilot who made an emergency landing in a general aviation aircraft.

There is more to this discussion than you, an airplane, and this hobby. You've had two major accidents in this aircraft and what I don't see you reflecting on is the impact these incidents bring to family. Let me tell you a story about how aircraft accidents affect a family and what they go through when their loved one is hurt.

I've gotten the call from my mother saying my father had been in an aircraft accident and no other information is available at the time. I've seen my beloved plane sitting in a corn field with a cracked fuselage, bent propeller, broken wing tip, and a path of other aircraft parts stretching dozens of yards. I've been in an ICU room with doctors saying my father could never walk again or take care of himself and they don't understand how he is alive. I've travelled to a hospital for over a month to spend time with my father and encouraged him through his physical therapy. I've seen aviation insurance companies were the representatives were awe struck to deal with a client who survived.

5 years after the accident my father is still making progress in his physical therapy. The strain the accident put on my mother was tremendous. She went from a spouse that was newly retired and ready to see the world to a full time caregiver unable to go anywhere. My mother is an amazing woman surviving over 30 years as a military wife, they don't get much tougher.

What happens to your family if you don't walk away from your next accident? What happens to your family if medical costs for your recovery get out of control?

What is your safety worth to you? You can achieve the freedom of flight in safer and more modern aircraft. It wasn't your skill that kept you alive in this accident. It was luck. I don't know how many hours you have as PIC, but your'e not just flying a homebuilt, you are flying a primitive aircraft.

My father is a naval aviator, test pilot school graduate, combat veteran, and civilian CFI. He has over 2800 hours of flight time and nearly 400 hours in the Lancair 360 that he made the emergency landing in. He made a near perfect off-field landing and broke his back. Attached is a picture of our airplane and a link to the FAA report.

The people in this thread obviously care for you and want you to be safe. There is no flight worth taking if the risks of you coming home in one piece are low. I started flying when I was a teenager: I had one friend fly into the side of a mountain. I've had two friends run out of fuel from holding too long to land short of the runway. I've had two flying club members go off the runway, flip over, burst into flames, and burn to death. I've had my father survive a full engine failure with raw fuel in the engine compartment. Don't be a statistic for the sake of your family and friends. There are safer ways to fly and I don't know anyone that's survived 3 general aviation accidents.

Ultimately it's your decision and I understand if you want to fly your aircraft again. None of us are suggesting that you stop flying, we are simply encouraging you to reduce your risk. Gravity always wins.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...mp;AKey=1&RType=Summary&IType=LA

Attached Files L360.jpg
#4487209 - 08/23/19 02:44 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Thanks for your kind words and concern!

One does everything they can do to mitigate risk, but at the end of the day aviation - even in certified aircraft - has it's fair share.

I won't debate your points, as that's not why you made them, and simply say that I like you, too, and am sorry for your losses and tribulations with friends and relatives in aviation.

From Laser:
Page 54 of 64 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 63 64

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.