Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4487155 - 08/23/19 12:55 AM Speaking of flat earthers  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Has anyone ever wondered why and how people are so staunch in these type of beliefs?

Example. A person i know believes in a ton of this sort of stuff. Ouija boards, seances, ghosts, the spirit world, crystal powers, divining, the weight of a soul, possessions,area 51 aliens, possibility of the moon hoax, shadow people, fortune tellers white witches and Uri Geller types.

They are the type who because they have these beliefs instantly are sucked in by videos and shows purporting to show this type of stuff. Like a two minute ghost video on youtube or one of those scammy medium type of shows.

Pointing out things like the weight of a soul myth, that hopeless 'experiment' done with people and dogs in 1901, or that people like Uri Geller have been repeatedly busted for being fake doesn't matter. The fact that the James Randi prize ran for 40 odd years with no winner and everyone debunked. No paranormal, no ghosts, no mediums, no people with amazing mind over matter powers.

I remember back to being a kid when one of my sisters said she saw a ghost, it was a tree stump we had in our yard that we would use for wickets when playing cricket. Go figure. Anyway, she brought this up within the last year and i said, it was the tree stump remember, we staked it out the next night in your room. At a certain angle it looked like a hunched over old lady. Then she remembers. It makes me wonder if that sowed a seed in her and made her more open to belief.

Like this other person, were they were told things or saw things on tv and believed in it when they were young and thus had a mindset that became more open to this sort of stuff without caring for fact finding? Both of these people have had mental health issues, as have some others i've met over the years, could that be a contributing factor? Both have also generally been surrounded by fairly grounded people although both gravitate to the more not so grounded.

Is it partly that you cannot strip away these beliefs because it is to deep within them and they are so eager to believe anything that helps to solidify it? That it may pull apart something of them, part of their core? How they don't need proof as such, just heresay or some show with a setup medium is enough for them to stay convinced they are correct in their beliefs.

It's a subject that i can find interesting but also slightly infuriating lol.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4487173 - 08/23/19 08:05 AM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
Me too.
Seems to be an inbuilt trait in humans to believe in crazy stuff. Something that religions and the gambling industry exploit mercilessly.
It's not that these people really believe in what they are 'believing' in though, it's more about differentiating themselves from people 'who don't know the truth'.

#4487175 - 08/23/19 08:10 AM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I remember reading an article about a guy who "infiltrated" this sort of culture. The thing he most took from it was a warm feeling of acceptance. For someone who has invested a lot into flat earth, the community of flat-earthers are very welcoming and friendly. There's no ridicule, there's events with like-minded people, and it's a counter-culture.

Compare this experience with having to realise that something you really believed in is false, demonstrably, and your status is ridiculed and mocked worldwide, sometimes with mere dismissal, more often with outright glee and contempt.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4487190 - 08/23/19 10:34 AM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I agree with both Mikew and DM.

This of course also explains the allure of cults for many people. In its simplest form it gives people a sense of purpose and belonging that they never felt they could get from mainstream society.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4487191 - 08/23/19 10:42 AM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
So using the tv or other forms of media to get that belonging and acceptance feeling as well for the people that don't participate in groups.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4487221 - 08/23/19 03:14 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
I once knew a young couple who were very devout Christians. They home schooled their two boys, and did a good job, but absolutely refused to include anything about dinosaurs or the space program in their teachings as they considered both to be untrue. I can't comprehend that thought process in modern times.

Last edited by cichlidfan; 08/23/19 03:15 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4487222 - 08/23/19 03:40 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: cichlidfan]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by cichlidfan
I can't comprehend that thought process in modern times.

People having a literal interpretation of the book of Genesis is amazingly still quite prevalent.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4487225 - 08/23/19 03:53 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I can't comprehend that thought process in modern times.

People having a literal interpretation of the book of Genesis is amazingly still quite prevalent.

I know that to be true but it still makes me wonder how they can balance their beliefs against scientific evidence.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4487227 - 08/23/19 04:09 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
It boggles the mind, what some people will believe, even in the 21st century. And not just Christians. I saw Richard Dawkins being interviewed. The interviewer was Muslim. Dawkins mentioned that people take some of these stories too literally. He mentioned, for instance, the belief that Mohammed flew to the moon on a winged horse.
"Well," said the interviewer, "I happen to believe this!"
"Not literally," said Dawkins.
"Yes! I believe he did this!"
"So, first of all, you'd have to believe in winged horses!" Dawkins was noticeably surprised. I don't think he actually expected this man to say that.
"I do. If the Koran said that Mohammed flew to the moon on a winged horse, then there were winged horses!"
This was not someone in a tent wearing a rag on his head. This was an educated man in a three piece suit, on a stage , in front of a tv camera. He believes that somene flew to the moon on a winged horse because his religion told him that happened.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4487239 - 08/23/19 05:34 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Pooch]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by Pooch
"I do. If the Koran said that Mohammed flew to the moon on a winged horse, then there were winged horses!"

In my mind the existence of winged horses is the least of the issues with that bit of 'history'. Although I am a devout agnostic, I would never hold someone's religion against them. I just feel that books such as the Koran, Bible and Torah are full of allegory which were meant to be interpreted as opposed to taken as literal fact.

Last edited by cichlidfan; 08/23/19 05:34 PM.

#4487243 - 08/23/19 05:47 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: cichlidfan]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I just feel that books such as the Koran, Bible and Torah are full of allegory which were meant to be interpreted as opposed to taken as literal fact.

+1

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/23/19 06:09 PM.

#4487247 - 08/23/19 06:06 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
Till people doesn't annoy me directly with their believes, it is ok.

I received baptism when I was a baby, and I studied in a private catholic school. The problem is, when you are in a catholic school, your teachers told you "We know that because of Science" and then in religious class: "God did this".... Hum... A bit disturbing. The thing is, if you want to believe (whatever it is), no one can change your mind, your belief is as ridiculous or unjustified to the other person as his is for you.

#4487248 - 08/23/19 06:06 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"I just feel that books such as the Koran, Bible and Torah are full of allegory which were meant to be interpreted as opposed to taken as literal fact."
Yes, of course. And that is what Dawkins expected the interviewer to agree to, I'm sure. But then he said that he did believe that Mohammed did, in fact, fly to the moon on this winged horse.
It's been my experience, that as soon as you start talking to people about their religious beliefs, common sense and rational thought get up and leave the room saying, "We'll be back when you guys are done!"

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."

#4487258 - 08/23/19 08:00 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
It's amazing to me that people still profess to believe in a flat Earth. People thousands of years ago knew the Earth was round. Pythagorus even calculated the circumference of the Earth very accurately. Even the stories of Columbus thinking the world was flat is a myth. In the day and age of air and space travel how can someone seriously say they believe the world is flat? It blows my mind.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#4487259 - 08/23/19 08:08 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: vocatx]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by vocatx
It's amazing to me that people still profess to believe in a flat Earth. People thousands of years ago knew the Earth was round. Pythagorus even calculated the circumference of the Earth very accurately. Even the stories of Columbus thinking the world was flat is a myth. In the day and age of air and space travel how can someone seriously say they believe the world is flat? It blows my mind.

I really think that somewhere among the Flat Earther's is a core group who sit around laughing at the members who actually believe it.

#4487265 - 08/23/19 08:47 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I agree. But there are those who do seem to really think that it's true, and they have websites where they attempt to prove it. As a pilot, I've always wanted to see how they explain something about flying an airplane.
When flying, you need to keep the nose of your airplane just below the horizon. Raise your nose above it and you start to climb. This, of course, is because the earth is round. If it was flat and you kept your nose below the horizon, you'd eventually crash into the ground!
How would they explain that, do you think?

#4487269 - 08/23/19 08:56 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Pooch]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by Pooch
I agree. But there are those who do seem to really think that it's true, and they have websites where they attempt to prove it. As a pilot, I've always wanted to see how they explain something about flying an airplane.
When flying, you need to keep the nose of your airplane just below the horizon. Raise your nose above it and you start to climb. This, of course, is because the earth is round. If it was flat and you kept your nose below the horizon, you'd eventually crash into the ground!
How would they explain that, do you think?

I am sure there is some explanation out there that claims that your instruments are not showing you reality. It is part of the conspiracy among NASA, the FAA and all of the aeronautical engineers in the world. wink

#4487272 - 08/23/19 09:09 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Ajay]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
How can you trust people that are spreading chemtrails all over the sky ? Come on ! We all know Earth is flat.

#4487292 - 08/23/19 11:41 PM Re: Speaking of flat earthers [Re: Roudou]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by Roudou
How can you trust people that are spreading chemtrails all over the sky ? Come on ! We all know Earth is flat.

I knew a chemtrail conspiracy theorist. He simply never, ever could answer a simple question: "Would you dose massive numbers of people with chemicals, through the SAME AIR YOU BREATHE?".

Instant and total deflections, every time, for YEARS. Faster speech, and rambling about all kinds of "proof", but nope, far as his mind was concerned I never once even asked him the question.

I believe his brain literally locked it out, every time.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.