#4486878 - 08/21/19 12:06 AM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
Originally Posted by malibu43

From left to right:
Mandolin - hardly ever play it, but it looks cool on the wall. biggrin

Yamaha Pacifica - The only electric guitar I owned and played from about 2003 - 2017. Still my go to for anything that's not country.
Squire Classic Vibe Custom Tele - Bought it a few years ago when my interest in the hobby was re-sparked and I was playing a lot of country. Has a nice thin neck that reminds me of my Yamaha.
Made in Mexico Tele Plus Top - Was not planning on adding another guitar, but made the mistake of looking at guitars in a pawn shop. This guitar was hanging on the wall without a price, and when I asked the guy how much he (cluelessly) said $250? The guitar was in like-new condition and sells for $600. Too hard to pass up, so I bought it. The neck is really thick and I'm still getting used to it. I like it though.
Samick Acoustic Guitar - got it in 2001 after I had learned on a really crappy electric over the previous year or so. I know there are nicer guitars, but I like it. I've had friends let me play nicer guitars, and I still like mine better.
Yamaha EG112, signed by Chris LeDoux - Bought this in 2004 when I first discovered ebay. It was $200 for a $200 guitar signed by one of my all time favorites. The guitar plays like crap so it's mostly a decoration. It originally had a white pickguard and HSS pickups, but I turned it into a mean looking black "strat" that looks nice on the wall.

I don't know if I am more impressed with your guitar collection or the whiteness of your walls! Well done on both counts! salute

LOL. That's the guest bedroom, so it's missing the dents, dings, and crayon marks that cover the rest of the walls in our house!

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4486879 - 08/21/19 12:08 AM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: piper]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Also, the number of guitars I have is a little silly considering where my guitar playing skills are at. biggrin

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#4486895 - 08/21/19 05:37 AM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: malibu43]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by malibu43
Also, the number of guitars I have is a little silly considering where my guitar playing skills are at. biggrin

I think a lot of us would own up to that! Oftentimes when someone compliments my playing, I will say "You wouldn't say that if you knew how long I've been playing!" It would be more like "Man, you should really be better!"

Originally Posted by Red2112
@Rick_Rawlings, beautiful MM. That´s the guitar I would buy if I didn´t have my LP. Basically and apart from being a great guitar, it´s because it can cover alot of ground. The biggest problem with guitars like Gibson/Fender, and not as much with Fender, is that they have there own sound signature. Fenders are easier to imitate, Gibsons also but not many do it right. PRS and Yamaha SG2000 (love the SG2000), or EVH Wolfgang Special come pretty close to the LP/Gibson sound without the LP body shape/build. You also have the Orvilles (made in Japan) which basically is a LP. Now that´s without being to picky about it, so will say "similar sound".

Aw man, no reason not to have both! I do and they kinda of cover similar territory but not exactly. I have Sheptones in the Paul which are crisp but peak a bit different in the mids than the pickups in the Luke. They both do great Marshall rock, but you really wouldn't have a hard time telling them apart. They also play very differently. The Luke is rounded over perfectly and has a great V neck with an unbound board just like a good Strat should. I kind of wish they did one with a roasted maple board! The Les Paul of course has all the binding and edges you'd expect. the Luke also has a 25.5" scale length, which gives it a bit more snap, although the floating trem softens this a bit. And if course sitting down with it is a whole different story. Just another excuse to have more fiddles in the barn!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4486913 - 08/21/19 11:25 AM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: piper]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I see some men collect guitars like how some women collect shoes. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4486932 - 08/21/19 02:57 PM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Coot

Are most of you all into rock/pop music? I'm not sure I can get a picture of my guitars.

I'm mostly rock, yeah. Skynyrd, Zep, Floyd, U2 and stuff like that. But i'll play anything I think is cool, and that falls within my capability biggrin

Nice guitars gentlemen. Thanks for posting the pics!

I like that Music Man and Malibu's three-tone 'burst Tele

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4486934 - 08/21/19 03:15 PM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I see some men collect guitars like how some women collect shoes. biggrin

With what some women pay for shoes, the cost is almost as bad.
biggrin

I wonder how many percussionist we have on SimHQ ? A drum kit thread would be cool too.

#4486936 - 08/21/19 03:18 PM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: LB4LB]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by LB4LB

biggrin

I wonder how many percussionist we have on SImHq ? A drum kit thread would be cool too.

I know Letterboy is a drummer or at least former drummer but I've not seen him post here for a long time now.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4486942 - 08/21/19 03:37 PM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: piper]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey drummers get their own thread.

In the back biggrin

How do you tell if the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

#4486976 - 08/21/19 07:25 PM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: piper]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'm not really a guitar player, but sometimes I pretend to be one. I played a little bit in high school, and in college we used guitars in our general music education class, so what I knew came in handy. After that, I didn't touch a guitar for decades. Then, my wife got me this for Christmas a few years ago after I mentioned that I would like to try and get back into it at some time.

[Linked Image]

It's a Yamaha FG720S, and it was instantly the best guitar I had ever owned. Good intonation, really nice sound. I played it until my fingers screamed in agony that night, and even played again a little bit the next day until I just couldn't do it anymore.

Now my main instrument is this.

[Linked Image]

That's a Schilke B1 trumpet. I've been playing trumpet for over 40 years, and people can almost tolerate it. I play in a classic rock band that has been together since 1999 (our 20th this year!) doing Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire, Blood Sweat & Tears, Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder, Tower of Power and all sorts of really fun cool horn tunes. It's a great group - big too. Four piece horns (trumpet, trombone, tenor sax, bari/alto sax), guitar, keys, bass, and drums. A few guys sings, but the guitar player is the lead singer.

I also have one of these, as I am on call as a sub in a bunch of local rehearsal big bands periodically as well.

[Linked Image]

That's a Yamaha Bobby Shew signature series flugelhorn. I got it brand new about 4 years ago and it plays like a dream! My old flugel was a crap Getzen I got in 1986 for my college big band days.

Back to guitar, that one my wife got me sort of opened the floodgate, so to speak. I am also in a wedding band that has only 2 horns in it (trumpet and sax). The rest of the band is bass, drums, and keyboard, with the keyboard player singing. There aren't horns in every tune, so I've started playing a little guitar to add that voice. I'm still very much a hack, but it is fun. So of course, I had to pick up an electric to make this happen. As luck would have it, Guitar Center opened a brand new store in our area right on my way to and from work each day. So, I stopped in there during their grand opening and picked this up.

[Linked Image]

That's a PRS 245 SE. It sounds kinda LP-ish, and I like it quite a bit.
Then for my 50th, I bought myself a gift.

[Linked Image]

It's an American Strat, a guitar I've lusted after since my HS days. I do enjoy playing that one, though I feel guilty at times that I'm not worthy of such a fine instrument.

Attached Files Yamaha acoustic.JPGschilke.JPGflugel.JPGStrat2.jpgPRS245.jpg

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4486981 - 08/21/19 07:55 PM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: piper]  
RedOneAlpha Online content
RedOneAlpha  Online Content

LEGE
I had a Yamaha FG700. The FG700 series is the best price to quality ratio guitars you can buy. Only thing I didn´t like was the action was a bit high. Nice gear!

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4486986 - 08/21/19 08:37 PM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: piper]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nice JC!! I have a PRS SE as well, but the double cutaway and without those sweet bird inlays. It does however feature those sexy zebra 'buckers. Nice stuff, thanks for posting them.

I'll get some pics up sooner or later.

#4487011 - 08/21/19 11:24 PM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo

That's a Schilke B1 trumpet. I've been playing trumpet for over 40 years, and people can almost tolerate it. I play in a classic rock band that has been together since 1999 (our 20th this year!) doing Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire, Blood Sweat & Tears, Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder, Tower of Power and all sorts of really fun cool horn tunes. It's a great group - big too. Four piece horns (trumpet, trombone, tenor sax, bari/alto sax), guitar, keys, bass, and drums. A few guys sings, but the guitar player is the lead singer.

Man, I would love to find a band like that! Kath-Cetera era Chicago is about as good as it gets! And I had to figure out the Sir Duke breakdown on guitar to accompany our keyboardist who was going to do the horns on the keys but instead promptly quit the band. nope Now I just use it as a warm-up exercise...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4487024 - 08/22/19 01:36 AM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: piper]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I never realized how absolutely amazing Terry Kath was. One of my current Chicago favorites to play is “Feelin’ Stronger Everyday.” I saw a documentary and it featured a claim of them doing it live and he was fantastic. #%&*$# shame.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4487025 - 08/22/19 01:46 AM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: piper]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
JC, I don't know if you saw a thread a while back about a Chicago cover band that is really good.

#4487037 - 08/22/19 05:02 AM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
I never realized how absolutely amazing Terry Kath was. One of my current Chicago favorites to play is “Feelin’ Stronger Everyday.” I saw a documentary and it featured a claim of them doing it live and he was fantastic. #%&*$# shame.

This one?

Awesome stuff.

This track really gives a taste of the power of Kath...

Originally Posted by LB4LB
JC, I don't know if you saw a thread a while back about a Chicago cover band that is really good.

Those guys are feeling it! It's a tough song to tackle.

Originally Posted by DBond
Nice JC!! I have a PRS SE as well, but the double cutaway and without those sweet bird inlays. It does however feature those sexy zebra 'buckers. Nice stuff, thanks for posting them.

I'll get some pics up sooner or later.

PRS is one of the few major brands I haven't owned, but I played a bunch and I found the SEs to be outstanding. They would make an awesome first guitar for anybody. They are gig ready right out of the box!

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 08/22/19 05:08 AM.

#4487060 - 08/22/19 12:32 PM Re: Show us your guitars! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings

PRS is one of the few major brands I haven't owned, but I played a bunch and I found the SEs to be outstanding. They would make an awesome first guitar for anybody. They are gig ready right out of the box!

PRS guitars are well built. Their American stuff is really nice. I found mine in a little store in Connecticut. It has some flame and the zebra buckers and I picked it up and liked the way it felt, which of course is always the kiss of death, and if I brought my wallet it's getting lighter. And I always have my wallet. It did require some nut work though, which you don't like to see in a new guitar. But it's a SE so it isn't built to the same exacting standards as their top of the line stuff.

But it's fun to play and when my son outgrows his half-sized Strat this one will go to him. I bought him a Squier strat that is the spitting image of my AV '62 RI Strat. Three-tone burst, rosewood board. He thinks he's on top of the world having the same guitar as the old man smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.