Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#44870 - 10/18/01 07:03 AM On-Line Tactics  
CRASH - SimHQ Offline
CRASH - SimHQ  Offline

Antioch, CA
- SimHQ.com Air Combat Corner: It's a key part of real air combat, but you rarely see it being done 'by the book' online in sims. Today, following up on a reader question, Andy Bush discusses online tactical formation flying, using IL-2 and Aces High as models.
http://www.SimHQ.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/onlinetactics

------------------
Dan "CRASH" Crenshaw
President, SimHQ.com
crash@SimHQ.com
Author of "How to Live and Die in the Virtual Sky"
http://www.flightsimcentral.com/fsc/howtolivandd.html

Dan "CRASH" Crenshaw
Author of \"How to Live and Die in the Virtual Sky\"

100th AFW Buddy Boys
"We land on the fantail and drive to the wires"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#44871 - 10/18/01 12:33 PM Re: On-Line Tactics  
Spoons Offline
Site Emeritus
Spoons  Offline
Site Emeritus

SimHQ.com
Good stuff, Andy!

------------------
John Sponauer
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@SimHQ.com

John Sponauer
SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com
#44872 - 10/18/01 04:48 PM Re: On-Line Tactics  
MarkShot Offline
MarkShot  Offline

Somewhere over the Channel
A good read, Andy!

------------------
Mark "MarkShot" Kratzer
Author of STK/EAW (Shoot to Kill/European Air War)
http://www.SimHQ.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/stk_eaw/index.shtml

Mark "MarkShot" Kratzer
Author of STK/EAW (Shoot to Kill/European Air War)
http://www.simhq.com/_air/PDF/STK_EAW_v106.pdf
#44873 - 10/18/01 10:14 PM Re: On-Line Tactics  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great article and it gives me another excuse to plug Dawn of Aces. [Linked Image]

I enjoy close formation flying which, as Andy mentions, is in some ways more
difficult online. The visual cues are less useful. The throttle sensitivity and drag modeling make small corrections difficult. My xUSN wingy told me this, I don't fly real formation. We fly formation aerobatics in DoA which seems to be the easiest online flight sim to hold position in. It's also the only one where his Mac can fly with my PC, along with Warbirds of course. Here's a link if anybody is interested. We call it a competition but it's not strict like real aerobatics.
It's more a combination airshow and barnstorming, depending on who's flying. [Linked Image]

http://www.dawnofaces.org/events/aero_comp/index.htm

Btw I also think guns ACM is more fun when the fight stays close enough to enjoy the graphical details of the aircraft as it tends to do in WW1 sims.

As for tactical formation, I wish more sim pilots would follow the example of real pilots and learn basic aerobatics, formation flying, and ACM beyond 1v1 before they fly in combat. Most are like the guy that posted recently, "I just want to shoot at something." Oops, that sounds like me when I started. [Linked Image] Tactical formation flying adds a lot to the fun factor as well as the success rate so maybe it will catch on. Offensive teamwork seems more popular online since the knowledgable pilots are less likely to be targets but sometimes it's fun to start from the disadvantage.

As an example, I was flying near a guy when we were threatened by higher faster a/c. I had time to suggest we fly line abreast and keep the nearest bandit bracketed on our 6. When the bandit took the bait the targeted a/c jinked while the other took the shot. We were out numbered by higher a/c but they didn't coordinate their attacks and we survived numerous passes while they took damage until they decided to look for easier targets.

I'm still hoping to see a low group of a/c stop milling about when threatened by a higher group and form into a classic Lufbery, after all it is a WW1 sim, but I guess I'll have to wait until the wheel turns a bit more. [Linked Image]

--)-FLS----
Musketeers.org

#44874 - 10/23/01 04:42 PM Re: On-Line Tactics  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy

Good read....Enjoyed it.I need to download the page so I can read it slowly and study it. I´ve fallen victim to the line abreast or Rotte formation several times in the past...Usually in that " all out war " where everybody is supposed to be against everybody. But to my surprise, there were two vultures secretly collaborating behind the scenes...I´ve been fiddling around with a couple of ideas on how to counter it...That is; how one fighter can counter (defend)the line abreast formaion as well as how one fighter can attack and defeat a two member Rotte element. However, I just have´nt had the time to sketch it out...Do you hav sumthing to the effect?

Thnx

Jalapeno Pepper

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.