Hop To
#4486724 - 08/19/19 10:10 PM Another Annual done  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
This is my ninth Annual with my bird. I keep it in excellent condition and always hangared, so I never have issues during Annuals. We spent a little more time this time because the wife and I are going to do some touring with it starting Aug 31. Several airfields and stays in North Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Possibly into north Georgia and Alabama if the weather suits. Eleven days.

Was putting it back together and thought I should get some pictures. I already started putting on the left wheel pant on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had already reseated all the internal fuselage inspection plates

[Linked Image]

No issues, but we ordered a new carburetor heat cable. Mine is getting stiff and even after we tried to get some lube down it I wasn’t satisfied.

So I’m good for another year.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4486725 - 08/19/19 10:29 PM Re: Another Annual done [Re: oldgrognard]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Well.......I'll never complain about doing regular maintenance on a car again smile Glad it was a success

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4486743 - 08/20/19 02:34 AM Re: Another Annual done [Re: oldgrognard]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
What a beautiful airplane you have OG. Must be very reassuring to have that inspection done and knowing you're good to go.

btw, you should do a NC mountain trip late October - fall foliage is beautiful

#4486744 - 08/20/19 02:41 AM Re: Another Annual done [Re: oldgrognard]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
It's always heartwarming to see owners of certified airplanes dig and do as much as they're allowed to during the annual (which is quite a lot).

Plus it makes me feel safer when I fly with a pilot that I know takes a hands-on approach to knowing what makes their airplane work.

I'm pretty sure OG could more than afford a "turn key" annual where the A&P borrows the hangar key and a week later puts it back in with a bill taped to the windscreen, but he's much wiser than that.

Last edited by Dart; 08/20/19 02:43 AM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4486757 - 08/20/19 06:54 AM Re: Another Annual done [Re: oldgrognard]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Love the new paint.

Also, your hangar is immaculate! Ours are mostly a collection of tin sheds with doors that are hard to open and close, with crumbling tarmac inside and outside.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4486759 - 08/20/19 07:37 AM Re: Another Annual done [Re: oldgrognard]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Off topic:
Is that a Guzzi off to the side?

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4486826 - 08/20/19 06:32 PM Re: Another Annual done [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Yes it is.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4486827 - 08/20/19 06:44 PM Re: Another Annual done [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Originally Posted by Dart
It's always heartwarming to see owners of certified airplanes dig and do as much as they're allowed to during the annual (which is quite a lot).

Plus it makes me feel safer when I fly with a pilot that I know takes a hands-on approach to knowing what makes their airplane work.

I'm pretty sure OG could more than afford a "turn key" annual where the A&P borrows the hangar key and a week later puts it back in with a bill taped to the windscreen, but he's much wiser than that.

Thanks. I am getting pretty competent at maintaining my airplane. I do all the prep disassembly before his arrival. Then while he is there I do the oil and filter change, air filter clean and re-oil, replace bulbs, lube cables, rollers etc. I could do the compression check, but he does that and the magneto timing/adjustment. Then he does all the system verifications, control inspections, and cable check, clean, and lube. He checks anything I’ve done just to be sure. Putting in new LED taxi and landing lights I pulled a wire from my left/red navigation light. So he put in an in-line disconnect since trying to stabilize the wingtip is too difficult when changing bulbs. Now I can easily remove the whole tip.

I am very happy with him as my A&P and friend. We work well together. He is happy that he doesn’t have to do all the monkey work and can just get on to what he needs to do.

As Dart put so well, it makes me a better pilot.

#4486830 - 08/20/19 07:12 PM Re: Another Annual done [Re: oldgrognard]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Good show OG always to see fine craftsman ship Safe skies to you

Russ
Semper Fi

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.