Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4486507 - 08/17/19 05:39 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
well all is not lost. French game, in French, but pretty dull. Nantes vs Marseille

Half time of the ManC vs Tottenham on NBS.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4486511 - 08/17/19 05:56 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
French football is mainly about defensive organisation and athletism since 10 years. It is clearly not the best choice to watch entertaining football, PSG is the exception.

And another loss for PFC... "We failed our season's beginning" our manager said... Really ! Are you kidding ? hahaha

3 losses 1 tie is not so bad afterall, we got 1 point.

#4486515 - 08/17/19 06:42 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
One point from four is relegation pace. I hope they can pick it up Roudou. I'm backing them to stay up!

KK, are you saying the City-Spurs game was televised? I don't know what NBS is.

Good results for a Liverpool supporter today. Reds won, 2-1 over the Saints, but were probably fortunate to get the win. Adrian had an absolute howler. Hurry back Becker. Still, it's three points and six from two for the Reds. I'll take it. Especially so, because....

Spurs drew City. I'm at work so couldn't watch it, but had ESPN live open, and saw that Spurs leveled, and then when I looked at 88 minutes City had scored to make it 3-2. Dammit. Dejected by City's luck I went back to work, and when I checked it 15 minutes later I saw City's third had been disallowed by VAR. Yes! Well done Spurs, even though the match was pretty lopsided, but only the scoreboard matters. This was the best result possible, as both teams figure to be Liverpool's main rivals for the title, so for them each to drop two points is massive.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4486523 - 08/17/19 08:41 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Sorry should be NBC. :blush :blush It is a Detroit station.:

Bundesliga Dortmund vs Augsburg on now.:

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4486655 - 08/19/19 12:17 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
How did Dortmund look? I picked them for the league. Would be nice to see anyone but Bayern for a change eh?

Wolves-United today. This will be a stiff test for United and show them where they stand at the mo. Ole is moaning about having too many center backs, but he's in charge.

PSG lost. Madrid looked good, and shockingly Bale got the start. I had said earlier that the smart thing was to forget all the transfer nonsense and put the man in the starting XI. Job done.

Still two weeks left in the transfer window outside England. Wonder who will move at the last moment?

#4486806 - 08/20/19 04:46 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Turns out Dortmund looked lethal in their 5-1 win. This is a well-balanced side and they will make noise this year. They'll sell Sancho next summer for 100m+ and can restock and I expect them to be at the top for some time to come. Bayern has competition again. Of course it looked that way last year too and they tripped themselves at the finish line. But I see a deeper, better balanced side this year.

Two weeks in to the EPL season. Wolves and United drew 1-1 yesterday. Pogba missed a pen, his fourth miss in the past year. Took the ball from Rashford who has never missed. Afterwards Solskjaer said that they are BOTH penalty takers and can decide for themselves who takes it. Madness. This is not how it's done on title winning teams. United lack leadership from the top down. PSG have had the same sort of confused penalty setup in the recent past too. A manager must set the penalty taker and that's it.

Liverpool top the table but have been unconvincing. City have looked better early on despite their draw with Spurs. Newcastle have been abject. I didn't expect that the arrival of Steve Bruce would improve anything, but they actually look much worse than last year. If they don't take three points against sides like Norwich they are going down. Of course they lost their two top scorers from a year ago and that doesn't help. But losing Rafa was by far the bigger blow. Rafa knows how to make the sum greater than the parts with his gameplanning and tactical acumen. Steve Bruce on the other hand , out of managers that have managed at least 200 Premier League game, has the second worst winning percentage, after Robbo of all people. Hardly the man you'd think would propel Toon up the table. Unless the plan is to top the Championship, which looks possible next year.

I pegged Norwich to go straight back down, but they've looked bright. There's always a surprise newly-promoted early-season team that's back down to earth by Christmas, and usually one that defies odds and survives. Which will Norwich be?

Chelsea will be fun to watch this season. I want to see Pulisic succeed, he's still only 20, but I think he's got the goods. Hazard's shoes are big ones for anyone to fill. Lampard's early results have struck me as a bit naive, but I suspect he'll grow in to it and you reckon this season's a pass anyway given his history at the Bridge and the transfer ban. But I feel like he's just stuck with what worked last year at Derby, and in the EPL it's too open. They have a problem at centerback having lost Cahill and Luiz and the ban prevents reinforcements. Zouma can't be first choice. I think Chelsea will score and concede at a high level and it should be a fun season. They really should have lost the Leicester match and were lucky not to I think.

#4487099 - 08/22/19 05:18 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
In the news....

Stories like this must be viewed warily, as many have their hand in the pie, and stand to benefit from various transactions involving footballers.....but (and with apologies to Roudou)

reports are that Real Madrid have lodged an offer with PSG for Neymar.

They are offering

James Rodriguez

plus

Keylor Navas

plus

Gareth Bale

plus

€100m to sweeten the pot.

MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neymar is ridiculously talented, but no way is he worth all of that. Each of those players is world class. And €100m too? Insane.

Of course PSG, who want him off the books desperately, will surely reject it out of hand, because they don't know what they are doing.

It's a world gone mad and football transfers lead the way.

#4487118 - 08/22/19 07:18 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
If this offer is true, I don't think Leonardo will reject it.

Last edited by Roudou; 08/22/19 07:20 PM.
#4487121 - 08/22/19 07:49 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
He should have accepted these terms inside a minute. But ya know each of those players has to agree to it. It's not like in American sports where players are traded and have no say.

Navas instantly upgrades between the sticks, and solves that problem and saves them the money on Donnarumma. James would slot in seamlessly and Bale is fantastic too. But that is a lot of stars aligning for each of those players to agree to move.

PSG however should say Oui!

#4487231 - 08/23/19 04:37 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
By the way Roudou, that report came from L'Equipe, and you'd know better than me if they are reliable.

I said earlier that all major leagues are up and running, but Serie A starts this weekend. In my predictions above I picked Juventus to win the league, and I still think they will. But perhaps more than in recent memory some other teams could be in with a shout, namely Inter and Napoli, both of whom strengthened this summer. Hoping for a tight race down to the wire.

In the EPL this weekend the biggest game looks to be the Gunners visiting Anfield. A must-win for the Reds. If they have designs on the title, three points are required. A tough test, Arsenal seem improved, especially on the flanks. When Liverpool come up against sides with effective wing play, they can struggle, as it blunts the ambition of their fullbacks, and no side in Europe has a better fullback tandem than Liverpool. The crossing and service both Robertson and TAA provide is first class. When they are shackled in their own half by defensive duties they are less effective, the forwards see the service dry up and Liverpool struggle to create chances. Hopefully Klopp's got this covered for tomorrow.

#4487238 - 08/23/19 05:34 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
L'Equipe was not the kind of journalism that throwed only rumors, they generally tried to have multiple sources, but they have a free TV channel now, so it is less and less the case, they need to follow the buzz. So I would say far more reliable than Marca or As, but it is not a guarentee.

As for Italy, yeah, Juventus should be the one, on paper, they are one head ahead in my opinion.

Sorry to not comment on EPL, but during the last 5 or 6 years I couldn't watch it, but hey, EPL is back on my TV this year, I should take a look.

Last edited by Roudou; 08/23/19 05:34 PM.
#4487274 - 08/23/19 09:21 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Thank you DBond for your words.

I would like to comment on penalty kicks. I would like to see the player who is fouled to have to take the PK. Your thoughts on this.

#4487324 - 08/24/19 12:22 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Sure KK, I'd back that. Maybe fewer players would flop in the box if they were not so confident from the spot and knew they'd be required to step up.

#4487367 - 08/24/19 07:15 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great result for Liverpool today. 3-1 for the Reds, Salah bagged two including a penalty. And I'd reckon that scoreline flatters Arsenal. Nice to see Liverpool back to the sort of fluency they need to be successful. Would have been nice to secure the clean sheet, I'm thinking about differential come season's end. That's nine from three and title-winning pace. Long way to go though.

United crashed to a home defeat against Palace, with another howler from De Gea, who has looked a shell of himself for the past 12 months. I'm sure Ole will assure everyone that all's OK. Nothing to see here folks.

Chelsea get their first win under Lampard, but struggled to do it. I said earlier they would score and concede at a high level, and this game did nothing to change that view. Free flowing and wide open. Abraham's first off the half-volley was sublime. What a strike.

I'm now a Bournemouth fan for the next 24 hours. Come on you Cherries!

#4487383 - 08/24/19 10:27 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Got to see the Liverpool vs Arsenal game on NBC. So Sat looks like my EPL channel. The Munich vs Schalke was on at the same time but is being replayed later, so might watch it.

#4487543 - 08/26/19 01:14 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A few games a week KK, are better than none!

Another match day in the books. Liverpool sit alone atop the table due to City's draw last week with Spurs. A few takeaways from the weekend's action....

City are deep, clinical and ruthless. Bournemouth gave them a good game, but City are relentless. Augero will go down as the Premier League's greatest striker. Liverpool are in first, but City will pounce if Liverpool slip up. There's no margin for error and it's already looking like it will come down to those two sides once again.

Most disappointing side after three weeks has to be Watford, who have yet to score a point. One goal for, seven against. They seemed to be making strides the past two seasons, but early on they look to have regressed.

When Steve Bruce was hired for the Newcastle position I was very critical. I thought he was the wrong man for the job. But credit where it's due. Newcastle's win over Spurs is huge for them, and Bruce got his tactics spot on. They defended well, were compact and resolute and it will lift the entire club. I pegged them for relegation, but more performances like this and they might just stay up.

The flip side of that is that Tottenham looked bereft of ideas, very little threat aside from Son perhaps. Kane got completely marked out of the game. Without Eriksen on the pitch there is little creativity, no one who can unlock a well-disciplined defense. Something seems wrong there. Poch seems disinterested and frustrated. They have that glorious new stadium, but the team seems stale somehow.

Elsewhere in Europe....

Barca looked crisp in the demolition of Betis, with Griezmann netting a brace. Performances like this with Messi and Chomper watching from the stands bode well.

Real Madrid looked listless in a draw with Valladolid. It's early, but if they want to recapture the title they'll need to pick it up.

Serie A kicked off with the usual suspects winning. Inter play today.

#4487549 - 08/26/19 02:10 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
And in France, PSG won 4-0 at home versus Toulouse, but, Cavani and Mbappé will miss severall weeks due to muscular injuries, a good result, but not a good day finally.

Rennes is surprisingly doing well. Monaco loves red, really, 1 red card per game, not easy to win when you play 2/3 of the time with 10 players. We'll see wednesday if Marseille can do something else on the pitch than running behind a ball, Vilas Boas was seen as a good coach here in France, I'm more and more skeptical about him.

#4487556 - 08/26/19 03:24 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Yes DBond the odd game is better than no games. smile

#4487559 - 08/26/19 03:47 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: Roudou]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Roudou
Cavani and Mbappé will miss severall weeks due to muscular injuries

A double whammy, and PSG have to hope they recover quickly. PSG remain the class of the division, but any extended period on the sidelines for these two could open the door for some of the lesser lights. I'm still not sold on the PSG project. I think they don't really build a 'team', but a collection of talented individuals, and for me Tuchel fails to convince. WHen he came over from Germany I thought now here's the next great manager (like Vilas-Boas once was), but his time in Paris has been a disappointment. He doesn't seem to have a firm grip on things.

They will still probably walk the league, but there are cracks there for a team like Lyon, Marseille, Lille or Saint-Etienne to take advantage of. Perhaps.

Monaco are a mess. They need new, stable ownership and some sort of long term plan.

#4487760 - 08/28/19 05:30 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Not much happening at the mo, but a few things I want to touch on.

Sad news is that Bury have been booted from the league due to finances. Players and staff haven't been paid in months, and now they're gone. I have just cursory knowledge of the particulars and don't want to cast aspersions where they are not warranted, but mismanagement has surely played a role. Bury are one of England's oldest clubs, and it's a pity it's come to this. Mostly I feel bad for the supporters and the local businesses that depend on match-day revenue. The knock-on effect of this is hard to judge, but it's effect on the community will be hard.

Bolton are facing the same thing and could be gone in a week. In Bolton's case it's even harder to reconcile as they were a Premier League staple just a few years back. Relegation is a disaster for any club, but the EPL grants parachute payments to these clubs so they land softly in the lower league. These payouts are massive, from EPL relegation at least. It's how the clubs approach their new standing that sets the tone for how prosperous they'll be moving forward. Too often they live beyond their means in an effort to bounce straight back up. But with vastly reduced income they will struggle to pay the wages of players suited for the league they just left. It's unsustainable unless your owner cares to dump money out of his pocket in to the club to keep it afloat. Short of that assets need to be sold, and with it their best shot at a return to the next league above. Some clubs navigate it shrewdly, some do not. And for those who do not, Bury's fate awaits. Sad.

In today's action I have my eye on Ajax's return leg of UCL qualifying against Apoel. I watched the first leg and it was poor football, with Ajax looking far from the team that reached the semifinals a year ago, and ended in a scoreless draw. Ajax need to crank it up today if they want to make the group stage.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.