Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4486465 - 08/17/19 03:30 AM EAW 3-way Stalemate  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Code
You are right I was wrong. I redact the post and sorry.. it was stupid of me to air old feelings. - Foot

Last edited by FsFOOT; 08/19/19 05:14 AM. Reason: You are right I was wrong.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4486474 - 08/17/19 09:12 AM Re: EAW 3-way Stalemate [Re: FsFOOT]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Temporarily locking this thread for further moderator review.

With this post, I will be unlocking the thread.

The reason I temporarily locked it was that it appeared to be lighting a fuse, and it was early morning here (I'm in the same time zone as oldgrognard) and OG was unlikely to see it for awhile.

EAW is a program that is no longer developed / supported by its publisher. It has been an all volunteer effort for quite some time now. As such, oldgrognard has attempted to keep this sub-forum a more collegial space, as opposed to some of our other sub-forums (for active commercial products) where publisher activities (ie. development, support and marketing) are fair game for criticism.

Coders / modders who are making additional content available to the community take pride in their work, and it is understandable that they often do not react well to criticism over something given away freely.

EAW development by the community has indeed headed off into multiple directions. That is hardly unique to EAW. That agreement from Atari allows people to continue developing the code as long as it is not done for profit, and it does not put Atari in a bad light. There is nothing in there that specifies that all coders / modders do it in sync with one another.

However admirable it might have been if all the coders / modders had pulled on a common rope, it didn't happen. That is water under the bridge. All anyone can do now is go forward from where you are. If you don't like where someone went, grab a version of the code you like and go in whatever direction you wish in the manner you desire. You can't control the other folks, you can only control your own actions. If your way appeals to some others, maybe they will join in on your efforts.

Each of you is welcome to post about your contributions. You are welcome to appeal to others to join your efforts. You are welcome to invite people to utilize what you have offered.

What you are NOT welcome to do is cast aspersions upon the work of other volunteer coders / modders here. Don't start fights. Refrain from stirring the pot. If you don't like somebody else's offerings, don't use them. Use what you like. If you are able, develop what you like in a manner that works for you.

oldgrognard is trying to keep this sub-forum a place that can accommodate all of the contributors. I support that goal. Nonetheless, nobody is indispensable. You don't have to heap praises upon one another. You don't have to like one another, for that matter. While amicable or collegial would be nice... we will settle for peaceful.

Last edited by CyBerkut; 08/17/19 07:55 PM. Reason: Moderation
#4486574 - 08/18/19 01:09 PM Re: EAW 3-way Stalemate [Re: FsFOOT]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Mr Berkut (if that's the proper address), I do wish to heap praise upon this post. It is absolutely correct. There has obviously been much 'air war' over the years, European and otherwise, about this sim. Not for nothing, either. Ultimately, I regard it as simply the best of its kind and as a consequence likely to attract some of the best and most passionate kinds of modder. Personally, I think many of them have done great work with their respective diverse visions and have provided many valid options for the particular, old-fashioned type of enthusiast that has persisted with this sim. It is unlikely that the various people involved are going to unite and consequently abandon their chosen pathways at this stage, and really it would be unfair to even ask it of them, but as you say, nothing is stopping the option of that approach if anyone or any group wishes to take it up. In the meantime, perhaps everyone might just chill out?

#4486617 - 08/19/19 12:35 AM Re: EAW 3-way Stalemate [Re: FsFOOT]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I have been very busy this weekend doing my Annual on my airplane. Really went the extra mile since the wife and I are doing a longer flight starting on the 31st. Several legs and overnight airfields. So I discussed this with CyBerkut on the phone and he filled in for me. As always he did a great job.

Actually, I have nothing to add to his post. He laid it out very well.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4486633 - 08/19/19 06:06 AM Re: EAW 3-way Stalemate [Re: FsFOOT]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

I did not see the original post. I am only commenting my opinion.

OG,
Real life come first. It is a life lesson that I am stubbornly slow at learning.

Admins should not regulate silly comments. They can only hope that we are mature enough to stop creating flame wars. If we require a heavy hand, then it should be done. I think that you have done an excellent job with that.

PM Email notifications for Roy's recent PM did not work (you had that fixed and I have not changed anything). I would not worry about it. If anyone wants to find me, I am not hard to find in the PE world. The notification that I had a PM worked when I signed into this forum.

CyBerkut,
Excellent post. Forgive me for the short words. I do not mean to say "looks good". To me, looks good is an insult that shows lack of thought for the opinion.

FsFOOT,
The rift will never heal, but both sides seem willing to teach how EAW can be modded. Perhaps it is better to point a new generation tword EAW for learning the "old" way of modding. The "new" way only knows how to use tools that do the work.

All
wink ask a "new" mechanic how to jet a carburetor.

ab707 att net

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.