Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4483349 - 07/19/19 11:09 AM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by 453Raafspitty
Long ago I heard the phrase "Hornblower in Space" to describe the HH series.

Nicholas Meyer used the same template for his approach to directing Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4483350 - 07/19/19 11:12 AM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: NH2112]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NH2112

That is true, but apparently it’s a formula people like! The books are just BEGGING to be made into CGI-heavy movies, if done exactly as DW writes them the battles would be spectacular. Can you imagine seeing 2 divisions of superdreadnoughts and their screens launching double broadsides of missiles at each other as they close? Countermissiles vaporizing them by the score and still they come, decoys and EW pulling even more off track and the remainder streak onward into the point defense clusters. Bomb-pumped laser warheads going off, with some hitting impenetrable wedges while others blast through the sidewalks or straight down the open ends of wedges. This is where they’d have to deviate slightly from DW and use visible lasers instead of his invisible X-ray lasers. And then getting to energy range and really tearing into one another!

These should definitely be made by Netflix or some other online streaming service. Why? Space-based sci-fi is a VERY tough sell to the movieplex mainstream audiences. If it's not Star Wars or Star Trek, it usually flops at the box office.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4483370 - 07/19/19 03:17 PM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
A lot of the most successful sci-fi films follow the "hero's journey" formula, that's been around for a couple thousand years, at least. Even the Martian follows the formula, somewhat. In fact, the formula is so ingrained in popular fiction, if a story does not follow it, most mainstream readers and viewers will think the story or film is "odd" or off, or something's wrong and they can't figure out why. This is why "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" is regarded poorly by general audiences, but "The Wrath of Khan" is fingered as the best trek film.

I've not read any of the HH novels, though, so have no input there.

#4484035 - 07/25/19 09:18 AM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Greg Bears Eon anyone?

#4486124 - 08/14/19 12:39 AM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
Guynemer27 Offline
Guynemer27  Offline

Ontario
These would be amazing on screen or on TV:

- the serie "eternal war" Joe Haldeman
- Planet of Adventure Jack Vance
- Wasp - Franck Eric Russell
- Vorkosigan saga Lois McMaster Bujold

Nicolas GRIGNON
#4486140 - 08/14/19 08:03 AM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Engines of God by Jack McDevitt..Or National Treasure in Space I call it...

#4486232 - 08/14/19 09:20 PM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I think McDevitt’s “Coming Home” would be a good one because it has all the qualities that make a good story - characters you can relate to, adventure, intrigue, heroism, selfless sacrifice, and a happy ending.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4486318 - 08/15/19 08:40 PM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
I was going to suggest Nightfall by Isaac Asimov, but it looks like it's had a few failed attempts already. So instead, I'll go with Caves of Steel. A murder mystery in a future Earth with an android. It should be doable.

And for yet another big space ship combat series there's Dauntless by Jack Campbell.
Here's the wiki article on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Fleet:_Dauntless

#4486374 - 08/16/19 10:38 AM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: wormfood]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by wormfood
I was going to suggest Nightfall by Isaac Asimov, but it looks like it's had a few failed attempts already. So instead, I'll go with Caves of Steel. A murder mystery in a future Earth with an android. It should be doable.

And for yet another big space ship combat series there's Dauntless by Jack Campbell.
Here's the wiki article on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Fleet:_Dauntless

Which brings up the attempt to bring his Foundation series to film, not heard much about it.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4486379 - 08/16/19 10:44 AM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: Alicatt]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Alicatt

Which brings up the attempt to bring his Foundation series to film, not heard much about it.

The last I read is that a series based on the Foundation books is being worked on for the Apple streaming service. The film project that was being shopped around by Roland Emmerich is DOA.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/16/19 10:44 AM.

#4486416 - 08/16/19 05:22 PM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

The last I read is that a series based on the Foundation books is being worked on for the Apple streaming service. The film project that was being shopped around by Roland Emmerich is DOA.

Correct, Apple has greenlighted a 10 episode season of Foundation. It's being developed by Skydance Television who also made Altered Carbon, Jack Ryan (the Amazon series, not the movie) amongst other things.

#4486439 - 08/16/19 08:29 PM Re: Scifi Books that should be movies. [Re: wormfood]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by wormfood
So instead, I'll go with Caves of Steel. A murder mystery in a future Earth with an android. It should be doable.

Caves of Steel is part of the Foundation series. I nearly threw the book at the wall when reading Foundation and Earth and the big reveal of who the main protagonist is wink I think I must have cursed Asimov upside down and sideways for about 5 minutes before continuing to read the book.

Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series is a bit better than the HH series and better than Raymond Weil's "Lost Fleet" too though in both "lost fleet" series they use the same trope: hero in suspended animation comes back to save the day.

Other ones that could be good are:

Steven Sweeney's Battle for the Solar System trilogy
EE 'Doc' Smith's Family d'Alembert series, I found it to be a bit better in the Space Opera genre than his better known Lensman series.
Joshua Dalzelle's Omega Force series for a bit of light hearted mercenaries in space, or his Black Fleet trilogy starting with Warship
Again Joshua Dalzelle's Blueshift, a bit different from your usual run of the mill Sci Fi https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BKQM48L

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.