Hop To
#4486261 - 08/15/19 06:29 AM An old terrain project  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands

What's truely tricky is to create a tileset and theatre from scratch, like this one for Attack On Australia, or AoA for short. A few pictures from it's 2010 release, representing the entire Australian continent, roads, rivers and all, and an attempt to replay the attack on Darwin. It's tilemap was also created with the new tiling technique I discovered in 2010 but it turned out the used scale was wrong, I had no clue about the real vastness of the continent and I just used a map which happened to have the entire continent on it because I wanted to get an idea of how it might look.

I have relatives who moved to Inverell in the 30'ies to mine opal amongst other things. My interest was to be able to fly over the area and get a glimpse of it, partly because I now own an uncut fistsize opal my uncle brought along to my mum when he revisited his birthplace, but also because I remember him, his wife and his son John (a bit older then me) as being such nice people and felt a return visit might have been possible.

I did some research on the Darwin attack and tried to incorporate it but found that the Japanese bases weren't represeted on it, making it unusable as a historically accurate campaign for EAW. Instead it became a what if the Japanese attack had been successfull scenario with phantasy frontlines and target locations (which are still a bit of a mess since it got shelved). It served it's purpose and I got to see a bit of Australia using a true elevationmap I also converted to fit.

Not sure where to go with it really, a new theatre could be constructed which is more historically representative or the tileset could be used for something else but there's not much on this planet where it's semi-arid tileset can be used. Some African areas could benefit from it but it's doubtfull I'll find the time to devellop it.

It's a bit of a curiosity as is but I think not a bad attempt. The tileset was created from impressions I got from photographs I found on the internet, again at the time highly disputed as looking far from realistic by certain HQ members, just prior to my 'voluntary' 7 year exile. However drawings can easily be changed, reused or adapted and they're fun to draw, although not easy and very timeconsuming.

Like the PTIV tileset it's possible you may encounter these tiles in some other theatres, which isn't particularly an incentive to create more or further improve my addons, so now you know who created them and where they really belong! Personally I hate working on something which was my creation but is no longer exclusively mine, especially not after going through a 20 year steep learning curve to acquire the skills to create them, the same goes for my musical compositions.

VonBeerhofen

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4486264 - 08/15/19 07:39 AM Re: An old terrain project [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Up there we dont really have summer and winter.Its called the Wet season and the Dry Season due to to the tropical nature of its location.
Darwin today. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Darwin+NT/@-12.6099903,130.9867674,69432m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x2cc0a0fc9f59043f:0x30217a82a247c20!8m2!3d-12.4634403!4d130.8456418

Last edited by 453Raafspitty; 08/15/19 07:42 AM. Reason: changed link
#4486288 - 08/15/19 02:17 PM Re: An old terrain project [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
I gathered that much from my former Ozzy buddies, when they were still flying with me, and my friend Ian Wauchope, aka Chicken Man, aka Roger Roger and the many other aliases he's known under that I sometimes don't have a clue what disguise he'll be using next. For that reason there is no winter version of the tileset but there are some 150 skysets available for it, ranging from dry to wet weather, to give it some seasonal flavour. Additionally alternative insets (forrest, grass, mountain, field, river etc.) can be created to display these differences, given sufficient time. BTW, this terrainset could also be used amongst others, as it has many spare tiles thusfar unused:

[Linked Image]

So what season would you call this? I'd say this is somewhere between the dry and wet season, wouldn't you?

Ofcourse EAW's terrain follows proper seasonal lightsourcing, European seasons ofcourse, so this is essentially 6 months earlier with Oz being on the opposite side of the planet, biggrin

VonBeerhofen

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.