Rate This Thread
Hop To
#44862 - 10/13/01 11:47 AM A-10 stuff  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Andy

You being an ex A-10 pilot and all , do you know how much airspeed the A-10 would lose when firing its cannon at 1/2 second bursts at 2400 RPM and 4200 RPM , seeing as the cannon fires rounds as big as my head and at an obscene rate it would seem to have an large effect , any rough ideas?

[This message has been edited by fallon (edited 10-13-2001).]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#44863 - 10/13/01 03:50 PM Re: A-10 stuff  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
fallon

This question brings back a memory! My first involvement with flight sims was over 10 years ago on the old Prodigy Falcon 3 board. It was there that I first was asked this question, and I can still remember the response when I told the guy that this was, pardon the pun, hogwash!

He insisted that the A-10 would slow down and stall out if the gun were fired in a long burst...there was nothing that I could do to change his mind...you see, he had heard this from a guy down the street who had cousin who went to school with someone who saw it on Wings...know what I mean??!!

Since then, I've seen this issue come up again and again. There are those armchair physicists who will whip out their formulas to show anyone how Mr Newton will prove this to be the case.

Now, I'm no pointy head scientist...just somebody with 6 years and 1100 hours in the jet...but I never stalled when firing the gun...not even once!

To be thruthful, I never watched the airspeed indicator to see if I was losing any speed. The idea would have been silly.

Just before writing this reply, I looked at some HUD film of strafe passes...in each case, the jet actually gains a couple of knots during the time the gun is firing...probably because of the dive and the fact that the jet was accelerating when the trigger was pulled.

So...is it possible that the A-10 would experience a deceleration when firing the gun. Yes, I suppose...if the gun were fired long enough under conditions favorable to the situation (level flight, stable airspeed, maybe idle power, etc).

While I can't argue with F=MA, all I can say is that under normal operating conditions, this consequence of gun recoil in the A-10 is a non-issue.

Andy

#44864 - 10/14/01 01:47 AM Re: A-10 stuff  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andy Bush:

Just before writing this reply, I looked at some HUD film of strafe passes.

</font>

Andy,

Are those tapes classified? If not, where can I find them? I have been looking for a F-18 HUD tape from a carrier landing, I have seen them on TV, but so far no joy. [Linked Image]

#44865 - 10/16/01 12:32 AM Re: A-10 stuff  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Nope...they are not classified by any means...but at the same time, what I have is meant for A-10 pilots and as such is not necessarily meaningful for others to see. The items are very brief clips intended to be used in an academic briefing to illustrate specific subjects.

I'm not trying to be condescending!! I'll share what I have...I'm just trying to avoid having to write a small book to explain it all!

You folks let me know what you want to see. Then, I'll thry to find something that will make the point clear. Much of the film that I have is hard to interpret unless a person knows exactly what he is looking for.

Don't be shy! Let me help if I can.

Andy

#44866 - 10/17/01 12:16 AM Re: A-10 stuff  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy,

I would love to see a strafing pass tape. [Linked Image]

#44867 - 10/17/01 03:16 AM Re: A-10 stuff  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Wolf

Here is a long range strafe pass filmed using the cockpit VCR. Sorry about the quality but that's the way the VCR looks!

Please note the sound...the relative quiet of the cockpit, the muted sound of the gun firing,and the good quality of the intercom/radio.

This file is 3.7 mb.

http://members.home.net/alfakilo/lrs.mpg

Andy

#44868 - 10/18/01 05:40 AM Re: A-10 stuff  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy,

Thank you very much! This is the first A-10 strafing video I have seen. And generally HUD tapes of any kind are hard to find on the internet.

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.