#4485290 - 08/06/19 03:23 PM Re: Another Life [Re: McGonigle]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by McGonigle
Aren't they supposed to be able to go FTL? If so, why do they need that slingshot assist to correct for the incredibly stupid navigational error?

That's an excellent question. You can add it to the huge list of loop holes that pervade the show.

The biggest and most inexcusable flaw has to be the composition of the crew. This is supposedly a mission of critical and unprecedented importance for all of Earth so who gets hired for the crew? Emotionally insecure and immature college-aged kids.

Yup.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4485294 - 08/06/19 03:56 PM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Watching the show might answer some questions. Just a thought. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4485318 - 08/06/19 08:38 PM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks PM.

Staying on the subject of FTL, how can they conduct real-time conversations between ship and Earth? There’s not even a nod to the fact that people on Earth would have aged quite a lot by the time they talk to the crew. Clearly the writers have no knowledge of Einstein and relativity or worse, they think the public is stupid.

The crew being incompetent and struck by Milenial Decease is a giveaway as to the total lack of quality writing for this show, as is the rip-off of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. And that scientist hubby crouching as he randomly and without a clue searches for a response from the thing in the ground is embrassingly bad writing/acting.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4485373 - 08/07/19 02:30 PM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Some people don't want hard sci-fi (ie realistic).

We want popcorn and drama and action, I don't give a #%&*$# about the physics behind it.

With your reasoning; Star Trek and Star Wars are the worst ever, as they don't care about Einstein or anything. They even have TIME TRAVEL!

#4485374 - 08/07/19 02:35 PM Re: Another Life [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog

We want popcorn and drama and action, I don't give a #%&*$# about the physics behind it.

With your reasoning; Star Trek and Star Wars are the worst ever, as they don't care about Einstein or anything. They even have TIME TRAVEL!

You make some valid points but I would argue that even for "popcorn action/drama" science fiction, "Another Life" is still not very good.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4485394 - 08/07/19 05:11 PM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
I didn't say it was very good. I was just arguing about the "hard science" point.

Because about every since movie and series about sci-fi we love breaks it.
If I want realism, I'll sign up for a college class in astrophysics.

Edit: That being said, I love the various "Mars" series, Apollo 13, Interstellar and other fun movies.

2001 though is a boring snoozefest.

Last edited by EAF331 MadDog; 08/07/19 05:16 PM.
#4485417 - 08/07/19 08:06 PM Re: Another Life [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Your points are very valid. A lot of classic Sci-Fi... .- isn't.

Star Trek TOS didn't really explain if the 5 year mission was years on Enterprise or on Earth. I was a lot younger and less critical when I first fell in love with that show. If I remember correctly, I might be wrong, but didn't communications between ship and Starfleet occur through the nearest Starbase? I seem to remember that an implied underlying communications structure had been set in place in order to ensure the timely passing of messages. Not really an option within capabilities that we can foresee today but at least an effort was made to help the viewer suspend disbelief. Again, just going from memory here but I think Gene Roddenberry was quite insistent on - without lecturing or becoming too entangled in specifics that things should be believable. TNG certainly dealt in the legendary Star Trek "techno-babble" to "explain" some plot points. At it's best, ST had some great storytelling. Besides, everyone knows that to time travel you need to go around the Sun very fast! Was it clockwise or anti-clockwise? winkngrin

Babylon 5 made use of jump-gates and the existence of beacons or buoys in hyperspace but still they did not really explain how the characters could zoom around the universe between Episilon Eridani and the Solar System without relativistic effects occurring. But did that show have epic writing interesting characters and strong stories or what!

Then we have the harder Sci-Fi like the Expanse. Brilliant show.

And 2001. Imho one of the timless classic Sci-Fi movies and probably closest to my vision of what is true Sci-Fi.

In the above examples, it is my belief that that characters are established and their reasons for being who they are, are established as well. We get to know them so we can understand when they act out of character. If they act out of character or irrational they are either under the influence of something unknown, like a space virus for Dr. McCoy to produce a vaccine, or they are under great stress or motivated by their ambitions and desires and are gradually changing before our eyes, like G'Kar and Londo in Babylon 5..

Great storytelling, world- and character building are to my mind essential to help suspend the disbelief.

Perhaps the reason I notice the technical and physics errors in Another Life is that it fails to entertain me. I don't like any of the characters, and the story is highly derivative and full of standard cliches.

Everything is just my personal opinion of course and I'm happy for those who enjoy the show.

Last edited by McGonigle; 08/07/19 08:07 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4485418 - 08/07/19 08:08 PM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
It doesn't have to be the best to be worth watching. If it didn't grab your interest enough by the first couple of episodes to keep watching, then so be it. To keep complaining about a show you guys didn't watch enough to know what's going on is just a little silly.
We finished the season and enjoyed it.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4485476 - 08/08/19 10:34 AM Re: Another Life [Re: McGonigle]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Originally Posted by McGonigle
Your points are very valid. A lot of classic Sci-Fi... .- isn't.

Star Trek TOS didn't really explain if the 5 year mission was years on Enterprise or on Earth. I was a lot younger and less critical when I first fell in love with that show. If I remember correctly, I might be wrong, but didn't communications between ship and Starfleet occur through the nearest Starbase? I seem to remember that an implied underlying communications structure had been set in place in order to ensure the timely passing of messages. Not really an option within capabilities that we can foresee today but at least an effort was made to help the viewer suspend disbelief. Again, just going from memory here but I think Gene Roddenberry was quite insistent on - without lecturing or becoming too entangled in specifics that things should be believable. TNG certainly dealt in the legendary Star Trek "techno-babble" to "explain" some plot points. At it's best, ST had some great storytelling. Besides, everyone knows that to time travel you need to go around the Sun very fast! Was it clockwise or anti-clockwise? winkngrin

Babylon 5 made use of jump-gates and the existence of beacons or buoys in hyperspace but still they did not really explain how the characters could zoom around the universe between Episilon Eridani and the Solar System without relativistic effects occurring. But did that show have epic writing interesting characters and strong stories or what!

Then we have the harder Sci-Fi like the Expanse. Brilliant show.

And 2001. Imho one of the timless classic Sci-Fi movies and probably closest to my vision of what is true Sci-Fi.

In the above examples, it is my belief that that characters are established and their reasons for being who they are, are established as well. We get to know them so we can understand when they act out of character. If they act out of character or irrational they are either under the influence of something unknown, like a space virus for Dr. McCoy to produce a vaccine, or they are under great stress or motivated by their ambitions and desires and are gradually changing before our eyes, like G'Kar and Londo in Babylon 5..

Great storytelling, world- and character building are to my mind essential to help suspend the disbelief.

Perhaps the reason I notice the technical and physics errors in Another Life is that it fails to entertain me. I don't like any of the characters, and the story is highly derivative and full of standard cliches.

Everything is just my personal opinion of course and I'm happy for those who enjoy the show.

Excellent post McGonigle and I think it's reasonable to say that most sci-fi fans realize and understand that ALL science fiction movies and shows have to deviate to some extent from established scientific fact in order to make story-telling compromises.

The question is then what is the EXTENT of that deviation and how much of a deviation should be tolerable? Of course that will vary on a person by person basis.

#4485477 - 08/08/19 10:36 AM Re: Another Life [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

What time travel has there been in Star Wars?

#4485772 - 08/10/19 08:47 PM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
CarstenB Offline
CarstenB  Offline

Denmark
I think the most important part of a science fiction world/universe is to establish some ground rules and the stick to them. However the longer a show runs the more "exceptions to the rules" we encounter. In Star Trek they can scan an entire solarsystem in minutes, but not when it doesn't fit the plot, so enter a solar flare or some strange radiation that limits scanners, transporters and all the other important gadgets that would make the problems trivial.

In the recent Star Wars films it looks more like the script writers intentionally broke every rule and pre-established custom... and not to universal acclaim smile

#4485773 - 08/10/19 09:03 PM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Ok so my wife convinced me to watch episode 4 and 5 and while there is still way too much campiness and stupid crew behavior for my tastes, there have been some slight improvements in other areas.

#4485931 - 08/12/19 02:37 PM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
So which one had the more implausible and dysfunctional crew for a supposedly “critical mission”?

Another Life or Prometheus?

#4486333 - 08/15/19 11:05 PM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
Another life is really crap.

Watched the whole season to please ths missus but couldn't wait for it to end (spoiler, it does not get any better).

She's watching next season by herself, deal.

#4486372 - 08/16/19 10:27 AM Re: Another Life [Re: rollnloop.]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by rollnloop.

She's watching next season by herself, deal.

There's a very good chance Netflix will not be renewing the series for a second season if the deluge of negative reviews in any way translated to low streaming numbers.

#4488029 - 08/31/19 02:34 AM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
SilverbackRon Offline
SilverbackRon  Offline

Happy Valley
I really wanted to like this show. I like Katee Sackhoff and thought we might have something good here.

Major spoilers follow:

But like nearly everyone else, I was seriously disappointed. On the most important mission in human history, they send an expedition crewed by a bunch of self-absorbed idiots that have apparently no actual training, no discipline and zero common sense. Frankly I found it embarrassing.

I likes Katee's character for the most part, and Cas was an important addition to the crew. William was cool (but not terribly original) at first, but the fact that he was vital to the basic operation of the ship, yet so easily disabled by what could only be a major software problem was absurd.

Yeah, they had some good special effects but not enough to save the series. I did watch it all the way through and yes the last couple episodes had some good moments. Too little too late. I blame the writers.

And holy crap, I hope the authorities send her husband to prison for a very long time. At the very LEAST he is complicit in a few murders.

#4490299 - 09/23/19 03:41 AM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
So I watched the 10 episodes for a second time to see if maybe my perception of the show might change.

Nope.

Overall this is such an amateurish show compared to stuff like The Expanse and Altered Carbon. The show stopper for me is definitely the cry baby Millennial crew of the ship and the shoe-horned, in your face “alternative” sex lifestyles.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/23/19 03:43 AM.

#4497688 - 11/19/19 05:19 PM Re: Another Life [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
This show has been renewed for a second season.

Go figure...

#4497691 - 11/19/19 05:27 PM Re: Another Life [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
This show has been renewed for a second season.

Go figure...

Oh wow I'm genuinely surprised by that. I guess the streaming numbers were good enough for Netflix.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.