Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4490203 - 09/21/19 11:09 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Koln was doing alright vs Bayern only down 2:0 at the half but got a RED (59') and ended up loosing 4:0.

I. Perišić 73'
Philippe Coutinho 62' (P)
R. Lewandowski 48', 3'

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4490267 - 09/22/19 06:15 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Always though Italian football was boring. Got to watch a Serie A game between Allalanta (#5) and Florentna (#20) and it wasn't boring.

As can be seen Allalanta came back late in the game to have a draw.
.T. Castagne 90+5'
J. Iličić 84'

Franck Ribéry 65'
F. Chiesa 24'

Atalanta had a goal called back in extra time. This is Florentina's 18th game without a win.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4490311 - 09/23/19 12:45 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I think the football in Serie A is fine, if less intense and a little more open than the EPL. It's the off-field stuff that sours me on the Italian league, but no need to get in to all of that. I follow it still, but don't watch too many games.

Lots to talk about after the weekend.

I'll start with Liverpool. They won, 2-1 over Chelsea, but it was a nervy finish, and far from convincing. Three points is three points, but it wasn't their best performance. Fortunate I think to have won. Both goals came from set pieces, and fine goals they were. But no real cutting edge from open play. They've won them all so far, but have only been at their best in isolated stretches. Klopp will be slightly concerned I think. I certainly am.

United looked abject in their capitulation against West Ham. Ole said after the game that although they didn't create many chances, they created 'big moments', whatever that is supposed to mean. Bugger's lost the plot methinks.

Credit to Arsenal to come back and beat VIlla a man down. We've grown accustomed to seeing the Gunners wilt under adversity, so this will do them a lot of good I think.

Wolves remain winless after drawing Palace yesterday. They desperately need a win.

But the biggest story of all has to be Granada. Newly promoted and top of the league! Of course it won't last, but they got there by beating mighty Barca 2-0. Barcelona are in crisis mode. They created virtually nothing, and went down with a whimper. Valverde will find himself without a job if this continues.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4490616 - 09/26/19 01:20 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I was going to talk about some of the league cup action over the past couple of days. I call it the league cup because I can't keep up with the name changes. Hell, I still think it's the Carling Cup to show how behind the times I am. So just league cup works well. But instead of talking about Tottenham's loss to 4th-tier Colchester, I want to talk about another embarrassment, and that's the fool Uli Hoeness. Someone needs to gag him and stick him in a closet. Out of sight, out of mind.

There's talk in Germany of giving Marc-Andre Ter Stegen a run in goal for the national team, replacing the stalwart Manuel Neuer. A poll on ESPN's soccernet has 70% in favor of this move. But Hoeness has gone off his rocker. He had the temerity to say Bayern "will never accept a change of guard" in the national team's goal, and "If that happens, we will no longer release players for the national team", and completes the trifecta by telling the German FA to "put Ter Stegen in a corner and make him apologise to Neuer." What a goober. Bayern are required to release players according to FIFA rules, so this is all a show. And a complete embarrassment.

#4491668 - 10/06/19 12:18 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
Paris FC news.

We won a game !!! whoohoo

It was not a good game either, we needed a ridiculous autogoal to win. And 0/2 on penalty kick this season... The other new of the last week is, we signed Jérémy Ménez, some international games with France, played for Roma, and PSG, 32 yo.

There was also some realy surprising results in Champion's League; Tottenham destroyed at home by Bayern, Real not winning at home...

Last edited by Roudou; 10/06/19 12:25 PM.
#4491688 - 10/06/19 01:32 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
And then Bayern lost 1:2 at home to Hoffenheim.

#4491861 - 10/07/19 12:49 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, big win for PFC! While they remain rooted to the bottom of the table, they are also just two points from safety. String together a few good results and they'll haul themselves clear. Heady times indeed! biggrin

Surprising result for Bayern KK, especially considering the midweek dismantling of Tottenham. This throws the Bundesliga race wide open with seven teams within two points of the lead.

In the EPL.... Just about every post I make mentions Wolves. I was highly impressed with their campaign last season, and expected big things this year, but it hasn't worked so far. But yesterday. Yesterday! A 2-0 win over City. I watched the match and loved every minute of it. Combined with Liverpool's smash and grab over Leicester, the Reds are now eight clear. Won't get ahead of myself, as Liverpool also had a seven point lead last Christmas, only to finish second. But I could hardly have wished for things to go better as Liverpool chase their first league title in 29 years.

And I also mention United in just about every post, and yesterday they somehow conspired to lose 1-0 to Newcastle, who had won once all season coming in. An utterly abject display, no ideas, no creativity, no threat. A truly ponderous playstyle with zero cutting edge. Woodward and Ole should both be fired. Today. But as a Liverpool supporter, long may it last. United sit 12th, having scored just nine goals all season, and four of those came in the opening weekend's win over Chelsea. Chelsea now sit seven places above United in the table. Solksjaer has no clue what he is doing, and couldn't make an effective tactical change even by sheer luck. The players just knock it around until they lose it. No intricate movement, no neat little passing triangles, no clever runs off the ball, no anticipation or that cohesiveness that comes from being well-drilled. It may seem alarmist, but much more of this and United will find themselves in a relegation battle. Imagine that smile

#4497223 - 11/15/19 05:41 AM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I didn't watch the game tonight cause I don't care for either team.

Looks like I missed out on the big fight that happened with 8 seconds left in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PMHlURlxus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RemewDSZmxo

That was not necessary.

The game was over.

The Browns won.

That Browns player should not had done that plus he already sacked the QB!

[Linked Image]
#4497286 - 11/15/19 06:27 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

If anyone of us took an hard object and swing it at someone and hit them in the head, that's assault with a deadly weapon.

That Garrett guy should be charged with it.

Assault with a deadly weapon is a felony offense regardless of the actual injuries caused to the victim. An assault with a deadly weapon occurs when an attacker accompanies a physical attack with a physical object capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death, by virtue of its design or construction.

[Linked Image]
#4497303 - 11/15/19 10:06 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Wrong thread NoFlyBoy. This is a soccer thread.

Anyone watching the U17 games?

Nov 17 Netherlands vs France 13:00 ET for Bronze, Brazil vs Mexico 17:00 ET for the Gold/Silver.

#4497307 - 11/15/19 10:32 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

It is? Shouldn't it be titled the soccer thread?

[Linked Image]
#4497316 - 11/15/19 11:48 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

Gridiron football.

#4497371 - 11/16/19 04:17 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Darn, did I get it wrong? Depends on how narrow my 'murican is I suppose?

I've thought it over and decided to retain the original title.

And yes, that Garrett stuff was insane. Don't recall ever seeing that outside of hockey.

#4497385 - 11/16/19 05:58 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I think soccer is more commonly known worldwide as Futball.

Americans are the ones who more affectionately and commonly use the word soccer

because they already have football (NFL, College, High School, Middle School) and it would be confusing to use both names.

Soccer was not popular in the USA and most schools didn't have soccer teams until a few years ago.

The word Soccer Mom didn't start to become part of the American dictionary until 1995.

1994 was the year that Soccer became part of the American national consciousness when the World Cup was hosted in the USA.

That lead to the formation of Major League Soccer in 1996 and the beginning of schools 1-12 starting to have soccer teams.

Prior to that, most Americans laugh at folks who play soccer or liked soccer - they thought it was a sport for wimps compared to their football.

Football players are the one who are the wimps, not the soccer players.

Football players wear all that protection on their bodies and heads and they still get hurt.

They play one or two down and then they have to go to the bench and catch their breaths.

Soccer players play the entire game, 60 minutes or 45 minutes, with only a break at halftime.

Unless they are seriously injured where they break a leg, an arm, or are kicked in their heads, or are ejected, they stay in for the game and they don't wear any protection.

They are only allowed to wear shoes, socks, shorts and a t-shirt.

Only 3 substitutions are allowed in soccer matches per team and it's only to replace an injured player.

When there are injuries in soccer requiring the injured player to be replaced with a substitute, it means the injuries are very serious.

A player in football gets his wind knocked out and he is on the bench.

Or he twists a finger and he is on the bench.

Or he can't catch his breath after playing 2 consecutive down or after running for 10 yards and he has to go to the bench for oxygen.

Soccer players run continuously and there are no downs, no take a down, break for 30-45 seconds to call the next play or take a break because the official called a penalty or a coach is challenging the play or upstairs booth is reviewing a play.

[Linked Image]
#4497708 - 11/19/19 07:25 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
49ers are 9-1 this season.

Oh, THAT sort of football!

wink

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4497727 - 11/20/19 01:19 AM Re: The Football Thread [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
I think soccer is more commonly known worldwide as Futball.

Americans are the ones who more affectionately and commonly use the word soccer

because they already have football (NFL, College, High School, Middle School) and it would be confusing to use both names.

Soccer was not popular in the USA and most schools didn't have soccer teams until a few years ago.

The word Soccer Mom didn't start to become part of the American dictionary until 1995.

1994 was the year that Soccer became part of the American national consciousness when the World Cup was hosted in the USA.

That lead to the formation of Major League Soccer in 1996 and the beginning of schools 1-12 starting to have soccer teams.

Prior to that, most Americans laugh at folks who play soccer or liked soccer - they thought it was a sport for wimps compared to their football.

Football players are the one who are the wimps, not the soccer players.

Football players wear all that protection on their bodies and heads and they still get hurt.

They play one or two down and then they have to go to the bench and catch their breaths.

Soccer players play the entire game, 60 minutes or 45 minutes, with only a break at halftime.

Unless they are seriously injured where they break a leg, an arm, or are kicked in their heads, or are ejected, they stay in for the game and they don't wear any protection.

They are only allowed to wear shoes, socks, shorts and a t-shirt.

Only 3 substitutions are allowed in soccer matches per team and it's only to replace an injured player.

When there are injuries in soccer requiring the injured player to be replaced with a substitute, it means the injuries are very serious.

A player in football gets his wind knocked out and he is on the bench.

Or he twists a finger and he is on the bench.

Or he can't catch his breath after playing 2 consecutive down or after running for 10 yards and he has to go to the bench for oxygen.

Soccer players run continuously and there are no downs, no take a down, break for 30-45 seconds to call the next play or take a break because the official called a penalty or a coach is challenging the play or upstairs booth is reviewing a play.

Soccer players are so tough. There are countless videos of them on youtube that showcase how tough they are.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#4499364 - 12/06/19 08:04 PM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

[Linked Image]
#4499381 - 12/07/19 12:07 AM Re: The Football Thread [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California

I have not liked Jerry Jones since he bought the team.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4499387 - 12/07/19 12:41 AM Re: The Football Thread [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu

I have not liked Jerry Jones since he bought the team.

Wheels

You and a few millions other sports fans.

[Linked Image]
#4499398 - 12/07/19 04:13 AM Re: The Football Thread [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
In real football news , Arsenal fired Wenger's replacement Emery.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.